• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Suspensions in school

Status
Not open for further replies.

No. 1 Machop Fan

It's not really an "either - or" situation. Standard suspension will I think remain the only option for dealing with a student who's being violent towards staff or vandalising school property. ISS is I think appropriate for dealing with students that are highly disruptive, preventing normal teaching when they are in lessons, but don't seem like they're going to try and smash up people or things.

Agreed. But OSS should come with some form of rehabilitation, or else it would defeat the point. Maybe community service?

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
Maybe for bullying your right. Make the bully do some janitorial work after school or something similar. However, that should only make the bully madder at the "target" because that's how bullies think. "Because the 'runt' narked is why I'm doing this... He's gonna pay!"

At least that's how I have seen it happen.

Qoombie

Banned
Removing the punishment of suspension completely is beyond ludicrous, but we do need to start limiting what we suspend students for. In America at least, this new advent of "Zero tolerance" policies place too many situations in black and white, when there is so much grey. Are you being continuously harassed? Bullied? Beaten up? Oh, you finally fought back and stood up for yourself? Enjoy your ten day suspension. Sadly, that's how it works all too often. Not to mention the criteria for what we suspend students for has grown immeasurably. At my school at least, you could be suspended for "Insubordination" which is a ridiculously vague term. Basically this means you can be removed from school for smarting off to a teacher, or simply telling them "No." which is at best, only meriting a detention.

Suspension should only be used if you are being a danger to yourself or others. Period.

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
Removing the punishment of suspension completely is beyond ludicrous, but we do need to start limiting what we suspend students for. In America at least, this new advent of "Zero tolerance" policies place too many situations in black and white, when there is so much grey. Are you being continuously harassed? Bullied? Beaten up? Oh, you finally fought back and stood up for yourself? Enjoy your ten day suspension. Sadly, that's how it works all too often. Not to mention the criteria for what we suspend students for has grown immeasurably. At my school at least, you could be suspended for "Insubordination" which is a ridiculously vague term. Basically this means you can be removed from school for smarting off to a teacher, or simply telling them "No." which is at best, only meriting a detention.

Suspension should only be used if you are being a danger to yourself or others. Period.
Interesting points Qoombie, and true beyond a doubt.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
I agree, In my old school, if you're late to class 3 times, you have to come in on saturday morning to make up the time, if you don't go, you're automatically suspended the following Monday.

This is stupid.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
I would much prefer ISS in that case.

Aquadon

TCG Trainer
I would much prefer ISS in that case.

ISS always seemed to be the worse of the two; although OSS was treated as the harsher punishment. I think ISS is the better option as what I skimmed over the article said there's a chance of education on why what they're doing is wrong. Although personally, Detention was when I heard the advice, given that they just threw me in a room for the day and left me be (occasionally coming in to give me the day's work for what classes I missed).

JamesRaynor

I have noticed that most bullies typically just act as a suspension is a free day off as apparently their parents don't really seem to care why they got suspended. So I agree with the idea of changing it to in-school suspensions.

Aquadon

TCG Trainer
I've only been in Detention and ISS once, but if it's what I can recall, ISS should be like a day long Detention, where all you can really do is work; and maybe get the occasional lesson on why you're there, and what you can do to shape up about it. OSS is pretty much the school saying "Hey, take this day off for no apparent reason", which I couldn't even fathom, even back in middle school.

rykerr1

The Great Gublet
Regular suspensions are pointless, the parents usually care about them way more than kids, and skipping school certainly isn't punishment.

Inschool suspensions on the other hand... those are actually good punishments because nobody wants to sit in school and do work all day.

The Wargle

~The Wargle
I know that in Massachusetts at least, most of the schools I know of do in-school suspensions instead because of these exact reasons. So at least they started to smarten up.

No. 1 Machop Fan

EXACTLY! Better that you let the bullies kill you than you try to save your own life!

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
EXACTLY! Better that you let the bullies kill you than you try to save your own life!
I don't know, 10 days is a small price to pay if the bully is given a black eye, bloody nose and maybe decide to pick on someone who won't fight back instead of you.

I would support my child if this was the case. Then again I would also have been in the office raising hell itself finding out why some kid is being allowed to pick on my child.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
Ten days isn't just a small price to pay; you could miss a good amount of work and it looks bad on a transcript.

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
Which is more important, taking a stand, or homework? I figure your homework could be kept up by tapping your classmates/friends. My suspension for flipping a kid over his desk didn't count against me getting into U of M, so don't sweat it.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
Uh.. I'm pretty sure grades should be more important. At least to me.

As for the track record thing, some colleges won't question at all I suppose, but there are still plenty that will ask and depending on who you are, can be the decider of a lot of things (if your grades are already sub-par, it only compliments being suspended repeatedly.)

It's easy to say if you've only just been in the applying side, but if you've ever seen an admissions discussion, they will stress every possible thing they see.

Last edited:

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
Uh.. I'm pretty sure grades should be more important. At least to me.

As for the track record thing, some colleges won't question at all I suppose, but there are still plenty that will ask and depending on who you are, can be the decider of a lot of things (if your grades are already sub-par, it only compliments being suspended repeatedly.)

It's easy to say if you've only just been in the applying side, but if you've ever seen an admissions discussion, they will stress every possible thing they see.
could be true. I don't have any evidence to disprove your point. I just know I would rather my children stand up to their bullies and beat the living crap out of them by any means possible, IF and only IF the bully touches them.

Aquadon

TCG Trainer
Ten days isn't just a small price to pay; you could miss a good amount of work and it looks bad on a transcript.

I would say this depends on what school year we're talking about. If it's Elementary/Middle School (which was the time I had ISS), that's no issue, but Once High School starts, it might start to be an issue. Also, depending on your standing with your teachers, I'm sure that if you're in ISS they can give you the work that you missed; as I said before, that's what all my teachers did for me when I had ISS.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
Yeah, definitely high school suspension rates are taken in equation especially if they happen repeatedly. Most schools who do ask will give you a break for one, but after that, you'll sound like some guy who just doesn't care about school.

Status
Not open for further replies.