• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Swearing, is it wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gren Draco

RIOTRIOTRIOTRIOTRIOT
Basically this is something i've always thought.

Why is swearing/cussing even "bad"?
I mean if it weren't for the fact that we consider the words bad they wouldn't be considered bad. It is a stupid paradox that makes no sense. The fact they are taboo'd makes people say them more, so if we stop considering them as bad, then people will stop using them in favour of more meaningful words.
As when it comes down to it the majority of "swear words" have no meaning and are simply used to express an emotion. Or they have a meaning that has no relevance to the way in which they are used.
Obviously there are exceptions to this, such as "Nigger" or "Faggot" but they shoudl be banned, not for the fact they are swear words, but because they are discriminative.
So, my question to you:
Should Swearing/Cussing continue to be frowned upon?
explain your answer.

Dr. Ste

Pokemon Breeder
Well... maybe because it's bad to hurt people? Swear words are not bodily violence, but they still are verbal assaults.

ChronaMew

Demonic Warrior
My thoughts? "It's just a fucking word, deal with it.

Unless it's said with the direct intent of hurting or insulting someone, people should stop getting so uptight over what a person says.

Gren Draco

RIOTRIOTRIOTRIOTRIOT
Well... maybe because it's bad to hurt people? Swear words are not bodily violence, but they still are verbal assaults.

When i stub my toe (i'm a cluts, it happens a lot) i swear.
Am i insulting anyone?
If the the only thing someone can think to call you is a "swear word", and they probably don't mean the actual meaning of the word, then you must be pretty ****ing perfect. Since they aren't actually insulting you, there just shouting a random word at you.

random turnip

I don't think so, they're just words at the end of the day, some languages have equivalent words but don't class them as anything taboo.

Pokemon-Dratini

cutes.u.2.death >: )
its bad if you call someone something, i mean i dont like being called a b**** or anything else, but i curse alot when im mad, its a good stress reliever, but i never curse at other people (unless me and my friends are kidding around, thats totlly different) but whether its completely wrong is in the eye of the beholder

Dr. Ste

Pokemon Breeder
Gren Daco said:
When i stub my toe (i'm a cluts, it happens a lot) i swear.
Am i insulting anyone?
Well, as far as I know, when you're swearing on your own and not at someone else, there's a lot more tolerance. Same thing when you use *bad* words to joke with your friend.

Still, knives are very good tools to repair or create stuff or clean some food or spread some butter etc... but this doesn't mean we can have them all over the house, if you get my analogy.

Gren Daco said:
If the the only thing someone can think to call you is a "swear word", and they probably don't mean the actual meaning of the word, then you must be pretty ****ing perfect. Since they aren't actually insulting you, there just shouting a random word at you.
Maybe they didn't intend to hurt me, but that doesn't mean that if I do get hurt, it's my fault. Maybe you don't want to hurt anyone, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be cautious not to.

Horn Drill

ヘタリア!
Well, everything you say is true, but swearing is still bad. Even if there's no logical reason why swear words should be considered bad, they still are, and that's all that matters. It's our perception of the words that causes them to be bad, not necessarily their actual meaning; although curse words, when used in context, usually refer to something vulgar anyway.

TBH, I don't mind if people swear, but you shouldn't do it in the presence of ladies. That's the only time swearing will bother me. On another note, hearing women curse is a huge turn-off for me. lol

Competitive5910

Codename:ArseusEater

Its wrong only if its used in a demeaning way. I know some african american people who call each other by the racial slur as friendly greeting. Some other chinese friends I have do the same. It's only wrong if used to hurt people.

My only thing is that when you got a swear word, best way to turn it into a regular word is to not be offended by it. Its only a word. What can that do to you? Break your bones, kill you? No! Well... unless you commit suicide or something because of it.

Profesco

gone gently

*bows to you, good sir*

My thoughts? "It's just a fucking word, deal with it.

Unless it's said with the direct intent of hurting or insulting someone, people should stop getting so uptight over what a person says.

Every word carries a meaning. No word is 'just a word.' Cuss words are all about expressing vulgarity or cruelty, on its own or to some person, respectively. They're bad words because all they're used for is pointless negativity. In the case of the former situation, there are dozens, if not hundreds, if not thousands (and so on) of better and more harmless ways to relieve anger, grief, or other stress, and in the case of the latter, like Dr. Ste said, it's just bad to hurt someone, whether it be physically or verbally.

Well, everything you say is true, but swearing is still bad. Even if there's no logical reason why swear words should be considered bad, they still are, and that's all that matters. It's our perception of the words that causes them to be bad, not necessarily their actual meaning; although curse words, when used in context, usually refer to something vulgar anyway.

TBH, I don't mind if people swear, but you shouldn't do it in the presence of ladies. That's the only time swearing will bother me. On another note, hearing women curse is a huge turn-off for me. lol

Amen, Horn Drill. It is such a huge turn-off to see a girl hurling out pointless cusses.

I myself don't care so much about infrequent cursing (regardless of gender), but I do admit that hearing much of it piles up and quickly puts me off. I just don't understand why people see the need to include f-, sh-, and h- in the middle of sentences that aren't even supposed to be vehement in expression. It's just ugly. u_u

If given the choice, I'd rather spend my time with someone who wasn't cursing than with someone who was.

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
Personally I dont swear, as I feel it makes people seem less intelligent. But at the same time, it is just a word. If someone had decided the words bed, cake and window were swear words, then we wouldn't say them. So the only reason there frownd upon, is cause were told to frown upon them.

Erienne

Anime high :D
Swear words are fine. It's not like you're hurting someone; racial slurs hurt. Or homophobic slurs. But words are just words, and unlike sticks and stones, they can't give you a concussion.

Profesco

gone gently
Personally I dont swear, as I feel it makes people seem less intelligent.

It does. You're right.

^_^;

But at the same time, it is just a word. If someone had decided the words bed, cake and window were swear words, then we wouldn't say them. So the only reason there frownd upon, is cause were told to frown upon them.

A fair enough point in a slight way, but as I said above, words are not just words; they are their meanings moreso. If the meanings and intents of bed, cake, and window were replaced by the meanings of curse words, they naturally would become harsh and cruel words and would thus become frowned upon.

Edit: Et tu, Erienne? D=

Does my "words are not words" claim simply disappear between my keyboard and everyone's screens? Oh, woe! Erienne, as a bright and seemingly reasonable poster (and as the most recent target for me to focus on ;P), please explain why you suppose words cannot hurt people! *points an expectant wavering finger at Erienne*

Last edited:
Well I didnt swear untill i was like 15 years old or something. And whenever I heard someone do it i Sush'd them.

But I have a better question: Why swear at all? People abuse swearing because Its appearently "Cool" But it's just pathetic.

Horn Drill

ヘタリア!
Errr why? :S

Because it's impolite. Gentlemen don't curse around ladies. It's not some sort of sexism thing; it's just proper. :/

Kaasuti

MegaKaasutizard
I only find swearing bad if a person uses it casually, like people who used the f word every sentence, i mean whats the point it doesn't make you look cool or anything, I used to swear alot when i was younger but as i got older i realised it's silly and it should only be used occasionally, like when i hurt myself or get very,very angry.

I hate only two swear words though which are c**t and s**g

Last edited:

Brumrha

Banned
Does my "words are not words" claim simply disappear between my keyboard and everyone's screens? Oh, woe! Erienne, as a bright and seemingly reasonable poster (and as the most recent target for me to focus on ;P), please explain why you suppose words cannot hurt people! *points an expectant wavering finger at Erienne*

What Eri is saying is that words can't do physical damage to people. But... people don't need to physically hit others to hurt them, as there is such a thing as emotional damage, which is what such words can cause.

In any case, people's reaction to swearing pretty much depends on all the individual people that are around - some of them you can let out a whole litany of curses & they wouldn't so much as budge, & other times you could say "Damn" once & the person would run away bawling like a wee little baby.

That's pretty much the jist of it *shrugs*

People who swear to insult don't have creativity, it's far better to insult using sarcasm, wit and or puns.

Status
Not open for further replies.