• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Swearing, is it wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ctep

First HG Shiny
I don't think it's wrong unless you use it towards someone as an insult.

It's okay if you go "**** I DROPPED MY SODA" but not okay if you go "**** YOU ******* GO **** A ******* ***** YOU *****!"

dracoburn

Lance's protege
i feel that theyre just words, it shouldnt matter if you say it or not. if you overuse them, its kinda liek those chicks who say "liek"(and yes, i know i spell "like" wrong, i have a personal reason for doing so) every third word. i mean, i substitute "sh!t" for "stuff" and "***" for "butt", but when someone uses "f**kin'" as a pause in their sentences, thats a bit annoying.

hevver

Heart of Darkness
I don't swear. period. I don't see the point of swearing if
there are proper words to describe things already.

I mean I don't say sh*t when I drop things because "oops"
or "oh I drop my stuff" is already a proper phrase and more precise way
of expressing yourself when you drop "stuff." Using sh*t as a substitute is
unnecessary.

In addition, utilizing "swear" diction makes the user look or sound uneducated.

The Director

Ancient Trainer
I'm not going to say that I haven't swore before because I have. I think there is nothing wrong with swear words. If I get angry enough or i'm in enough pain or whatever I want a short violent exclamation that makes me feel better.

And besides all swear words are, are just words that are used as insults.
I mean sh!t means poo, but is often used as an insult rather than what it means and thats why its a "swear" word.

Personally though if you swear as an insult then its just a stupid, vulgar attempt to insult someone. If you're going to insult someone be clever about it. e.g. I'm not saying your stupid, but I can count your I.Q. on one hand.

zombieinmyfridge

They exist.
You can't classify swear words as harmful or harmless, because it really depends on the situation.

If someone is being bullied, even just verbally, the words that the bully uses to torment him or her are going to have a very negative impact.

If a couple of friends are having a conversation and they use swear words when describing an annoying situation or just as filler for the conversation, then there really isn't any harm in using them.

As long as you take note of your current environment and moderate your usage of swear words accordingly, there isn't a problem.

phatcat203

I'm back. Woot.
Swear words are some of the most harmless words in my vocabulary, and trust me, if you've ever read a post that I cared about, you'll know that it is quite large.

If you take the time to think, it's extremely easy to do quite a bit of emotional damage without one utterance of a "swear word." Calling someone a bitch will do much less emotional damage than telling them that they're worthless bags of meat that no one loves, never will, and are only viewed as a waste of supplies by all of their "family and friends," especially if they already doubt themselves. Which, at some point, everyone does. So. You decide, which is worse: A word which only causes a "swear war," in which everyone involved partakes in a very loud competition to see who can yell the most swear words, or a carefully selected phrase that can cause someone to commit suicide?

As I've stated, swear words mean nothing distinct. They're only clones of other words (or are those words clones themselves? Likely, what with all of the euphemisms around today). I only use these words when I deem my conversational partners too unintelligent to understand the rest of the words in my (or really anyone's) vocabulary.

Nidoprince

Swearing is supposed to be to express someone's feeling of anger. But sometimes it's just to name call, and that's very wrong.

M4zz

Banned
When your p!$$ed off and expressing it as anger, belive it's ok. If your intentions are to flame someone with them, then its wrong.

Grei

not the color
Really... swearing, I think, is negative and uneeded. Does that really stop me from swearing like a pirate, though? No. It really depends on the intent the word has. I say "fuck you" to my friends a lot, but I intend it as a sort of joke when they're teasing me about something.

Totally swearing someone out isn't as nice, but again, what can you do? Yeah, they're pointlessly negative--but so are humans. Humans can be nice, but in our society, negativity is much more common.

Drake99

ehh, I don't like swearing I actually find it a little offensive when someone I'm talking to swears wether or not they are calling me a name. I never swear because I think its stupid when I could just say shoot or something.

striker

I AM THAT IS
lmao this is a new one.

Hmmm....basically swearing only becomes a issue if you make it one. Casual swearers (those who would just say it in mid sentence) obviously dont see anything wrong with it and have just grown up to be like that, so for someone to say your being rude etc. is just being plain ignorant and is not being observant of the actual situation.

Mad people who have verbal dierhear (i hate spelling that word) need to sort themselves out. Cause whereas before its just a case of who you are, now its just you going a step to far. Consider who is in the area when you speak...

When it comes to swearing its all about tolerance as it is with homosexuaity (depending where you stand) and public display of affections.

wow this is a boring topic.

DiamondTrader001

Shiny Collector
lmao this is a new one.

Hmmm....basically swearing only becomes a issue if you make it one. Casual swearers (those who would just say it in mid sentence) obviously dont see anything wrong with it and have just grown up to be like that, so for someone to say your being rude etc. is just being plain ignorant and is not being observant of the actual situation.

Mad people who have verbal dierhear (i hate spelling that word) need to sort themselves out. Cause whereas before its just a case of who you are, now its just you going a step to far. Consider who is in the area when you speak...

When it comes to swearing its all about tolerance as it is with homosexuaity (depending where you stand) and public display of affections.

wow this is a boring topic.

Agreed ^_^

striker

I AM THAT IS
Yes its true, im not the best speller in the world. But when it comes to words like that i dont even try to spell. As long as you know what im trying to say.

Grei

not the color
Yes its true, im not the best speller in the world. But when it comes to words like that i dont even try to spell. As long as you know what im trying to say.

Heh, no, it's fine. Just checking. : )

... erm, yeah. Swearing is fine. If it's an insult, it's still fine, it just is a bit meaner... There are psychological connotations attached to swear words, at least to me. The impact is greater when those words are used... hence, when used as an insult, it generally hurts worse.

Which is bad

striker

I AM THAT IS
^ True that, so one could argue with the excessive use of them now, they have in fact lowered their value no?

Atreus

That's what she said
I would say no. "Swear words" are often found on English dictionaries, so therefore I think they are "approved" by the dictionaries. So if it is approved like any other word like "happy", then why would it be wrong to swear? Various posts in this thread say that it is wrong to hurt people. I agree to the extend that it is wrong and mean, but if someone hurts you, then..voila! You have a whole new set of "lexic" to use!

Status
Not open for further replies.