• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sword and Shield anime art style speculation

Rock Captain 99

Following the dreams!!
What do you guys think could be the art style for the new series? Should they go with the Sun and Moon art style? Or XY art style? Or the movies art style or anything new? Speculate!!

D

Deleted member 384931

Pokémon uses many different arstyles for movies, promotion and such. It is hard to predict.

VoltTacklingPika

Tweaks to the current style, in all likelihood. They might use more shading and dull the colours a bit to create a more urban look, as opposed to the simpler colours and lack of shading in SM's tropical setting.

The art style at the moment exists for technical reasons as well as creative ones, so I'm not expecting a huge change to the designs themselves. But changing up the colours, shading, lighting, etc can make a big difference.

Also, if battles become the focus again, expect the return of the 3D camera and CG backgrounds.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
As long as it's not the SM style, I don't care.
All the old characters who show up will look absolutely terrible
But all the new characters will be on-model, and they're the ones that matter most. Besides, Brock and Misty looked fine. It's really only Ash and TRio that look weird.

i want M21 art style :D
Please no. That Ash design was too soft.

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
I really want to know how people even considered the possibility of having a cgi anime like the mewtwo movie

_---------
I'm expecting the SM style but greatly improved, maybe closer to the old style but still with similar techniques
Considering how in some articles people mentioned how much better it was to animate, I don't think we're exactly going back to XY style.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
I know cgi works good in shows like Miraculous Ladybug. But Pokémon will always look better in 2d (the anime). Minor 3d stuff like backgrounds are OK.
Miraculous Ladybug is very expensive. I think they spend something like $460,000 per episode, which is about twice as much as an average Western cartoon, and four to five times as much as an average anime.

D

Deleted member 384931

Miraculous Ladybug is very expensive. I think they spend something like $460,000 per episode, which is about twice as much as an average Western cartoon, and four to five times as much as an average anime.
Yeah, that would be a problem, but Pokémon isn't just an Animé lol

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
But all the new characters will be on-model, and they're the ones that matter most. Besides, Brock and Misty looked fine. It's really only Ash and TRio that look weird.

Please no. That Ash design was too soft.
Very true. Early to mid-DP was just the absolute worst when it came to character models since a lot of em looked stiff and off point in some instances lol.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
Ideally, I’d want the M21 art style. I thought it was gorgeous and so fluid, but I understand that it’s unlikely to happen since it was a coproduction. I could see it going two ways:

The new anime continues on with the established continuity; we get an improved version of SM. I could see that actually looking quite similar to the OS-DP style (I really do miss black-eyed Ash...), but softer and less rigid. Mid-late DP was pretty good animation and model-wise; something resembling it would look even better with the improved techniques.

We get AU Ash and get the M20 art style, but modified a bit to fit some of SM’s techniques and animation style. M20 Ash is actually a little different than XY, and it’s most noticeable in the slimmer eyes, bigger birthmarks, and hair. Basically a nicer-looking version of his OS self, tbh.

I’d be fine with either of these, but who knows what they’ll do.

Lightning Bolt

Honestly, If the anime is actually good, I don't really care about the art style...

That being said though, I don't want M21 art style. People bash SM art style and while I understand why people got mad over it, I think M21 art style wasn't really better. Satoshi and TR looked a bit weird in early SM episodes but after 3 years I've grown to it. Satoshi looks really cute in some scenes (and that's something you don't get in series like XY where Satoshi looks like puppet with either a "happy and confident face" or a "serious shounen hero badass"). That art style greatly improved in those 3 years since now Musashi doesn't look like a weird evil stepmother anymore (tho Kojiro's hair still bad with those round bangs). But I NEVER accepted M21 art style 'cause Satoshi just looks really off in the entire movie. In SM while Satoshi looked like a idiot 5-years old brat in some scenes, it still looked like Satoshi, but M22 Satoshi just doesn't. I also disliked the design for this weird scientist guy and old guy with a Sudowoodo. The characters look decent in SM style mainly the main characters since imo the classmates have the best character designs (but that's a game thing so whatever).

I'd be good with M20 art style in some episodes, but I don't know if it can look decent in a full series. But anything is better than CGI, I suppose.

BulleDeChagrin

Lillie best girl
The fluidity and flexibility of the SM with the gorgeous colour palette and Ash from XY.

They're like two extremes that when combined could make for a really beautiful style imo.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
I really liked the character designs of M21; maybe because they were so colorful and distinctive. I want the new series to have that kind of ‘pop!’; a color palette that pulls you in like the AU movies and XY.