• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sword or Shield - which version are you getting?

Which version will you be getting?

• Sword

Votes: 42 27.5%
  • Shield

Votes: 54 35.3%
  • Both

Votes: 47 30.7%
  • I'll wait for the third version to come out

Votes: 10 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Allister confirmed my choice. I cannot say no to a Ghost gym leader.

Zamazenta isn't so bad, either. I'm getting Shield.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Allister confirmed my choice. I cannot say no to a Ghost gym leader.

We haven't had a Ghost Gym since like Gen 4, I think. Maybe Gen 8 will give some of the lesser-known types like Fairy and Steel some more love.

I'm saving up for the double pack, but I don't have a Switch at the moment so I have to buy that too. If I don't have enough money in time, I will go for shield.

I don't have one either, but like I said, if I'm successful in winning this giveaway, I could get Sword in time for Christmas.

MewsTruck

Does anyone know what's the deal with double pack? Is it both games cases in a double pack sleeve?

My reason is because I would like to have both cases for collector purposes...

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Does anyone know what's the deal with double pack? Is it both games cases in a double pack sleeve?

My reason is because I would like to have both cases for collector purposes...

You get both cases
I bought the double pack for Ultra as it was the only way to get a second Sun to give away to a friend due to it being so stupidly popular compared to Moon. And I wanted Moon

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
I'll more than likely get both versions, as for which one I'll buy first, I'll wait to hear what version exclusive Pokemon are in each. When X and Y came out I prioritized X so I could have Clawitzer, and when Sun and Moon came out I got Moon first because I wanted to use Oranguru in my first playthrough.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I’m just getting Sword right now. I personally like Zamazenta better than Zacian, but so far I like all of Sword’s other version exclusives more. It also didn’t help that I’ve been trying to get a Goodra for six years and finally got one in Alpha Sapphire, so while it’s my favorite Dragon type I want to try Hydreigon I never used one before. Also, from what I can tell, I get the feeling Sword will have more offensive-based pokémon (& characters like Bea), while Shield will have more defensive-based one.

The double pack is REALLY tempting since I’m the kind of person who usually buys both versions at launch, but I want to just stick with one game for now (or at least until the third version comes out) since I think that’s what caused me to burn out when replaying Gen 6 & 7. Plus, even before Dexit, I wasn’t convinced on spending $120 for both games.

Last edited:

Lemonski

I'm thinking of Sword since swords are cool. There are some version exclusive things that have made me question that tentative choice though, so I'll eventually see which I'll actually end up going with.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Shield, because I like the Legendary more. Sadly won't be able to get my favorite Dragon though since Deino line is exclusive to Sword. Also, Allister is better than Bea, and has one of my favorite types as his Gym type.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I wonder if the third legendary "wolf" is going to be another dragon-type, similar to Zinogre a wolf-dragon from Monster Hunter. Rayquaza, Giratina, Kyurem, Zygarde and Ultra Necrozma were dragon-types, makes you wonder if it will be the same for the rumored third wolf.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
No, because a lot of what I've been seeing in the past about the internet indicated to me that more people seemed to be interested in Sword.
You sure it wasn't a lot of Dark Soul memes lol. In all seriousness though, really depend on which artwork your looking at. The shield wolf, Zamazenta, looks fierce and proud in other artworks similar to that of a lion compared to his more calmer and sleeker counterpart. Maybe that's why they find it so appealing.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
You sure it wasn't a lot of Dark Soul memes lol. In all seriousness though, really depend on which artwork your looking at. The shield wolf, Zamazenta, looks fierce and proud in other artworks similar to that of a lion compared to his more calmer and sleeker counterpart. Maybe that's why they find it so appealing.
I have to agree with this. Even though I’m getting Sword, I still like Zamazenta better than Zacian

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
I think the gym leaders are a big factor in people choices as you can trade for version exclusive Pokemon, gym leaders not so much. I think that overall sword will outsell shield as sword has a greater 'cool factor'. The poll isn't representative anyway but that's beyond the point.

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
I’m really struggling to decide if I’m going to buy the games. I’ve come to terms with Dexit and although I really hate it and wish GF would include all the Pokémon, there are still a lot of old Pokémon I like that are available and the new ones look fun to use. I’m going to wait longer to see what other Pokémon return before I make up my mind.

If I do end up buying the games I’ll only be getting Shield, unlike in the past where I always bought both versions.

EDIT: Ended up preordering Shield today. Knowing me I’ll end up getting the games at some point anyway so I may as well just get them on release and get the preorder bonuses.

Last edited: