• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sword or Shield - which version are you getting?

Which version will you be getting?

• Sword

Votes: 42 27.5%
  • Shield

Votes: 54 35.3%
  • Both

Votes: 47 30.7%
  • I'll wait for the third version to come out

Votes: 10 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
With less than three months to go before Sword/Shield's release, which version will you be getting?

I don't have a Switch right now, but I'm participating in a giveaway for one, so if I do get it, I'll get Sword. It's kind of been a tradition of mine to get the first version, except in Gen 2 when I chose Silver instead of Gold.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
I'm going for Shield because way too many people, including my companion player, want Sword.

Also, that said, if Sword players on here massively outnumber Shield players like I think they will, it will be easier to get version-exclusives to fill my own Pokedex via Trade Forum help. Furthermore, I can be an easy outlet for those having difficulty finding Shield players to do their own version-exclusive trades with.

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
I don't really mind which I get, more info on which new pokemon are exclusive could sway me to one side or the other.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
At the moment, Sword, but I may be swayed otherwise.

Besides, I'm buyiung both versions and letting my friend play the other version.

dss_live

Water and Fairy-type master
Both version at this point in time. If further info comes out that i dislike ofcourse i'll change that :) but so far, so good.

I'm getting Shield.
I never understood the appeal to buy both versions, The difference are usually so minimal that I couldn't bring myself to spend $60 for them but to each their own.

For me it used to be to get the version exclusives and trade evolutions (incase of later games with GTS) , since i never had anyone around who also played pokemon. Over time it grew into more of a collection thing.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
For now, I’m going with Sword. Shields are only cool when they come in round shapes so you can throw them around like Captain America. : P

But my decision could change depending on the new version exclusives (which I hope they’ll reveal soon).

Sceptrigon

Armored Legend
I was on the fence about getting the game, but now I’m more accepting of the lack of Pokémon/megas and want to go back to my original desires of using a rabbit starter and exploring a UK based region. Since I really like the idea of a version being based on defense, I’m sticking with Shield.

For now, I’m going with Sword. Shields are only cool when they come in round shapes so you can throw them around like Captain America. : P

The flame-like design of Zamazenta’s shield mane is not cool enough for you??? :p

Revolver Furious Dragon

Both. But as to which one I get first it's to early to say. Im leaning more towards sword at the moment if you can get dieno early-ish since it's the one revealed version exclusive line I've never raised and I always like to use new Pokémon when I play a new game.

But that could change depending on what else gets revealed and if I really want something shield exclusive on my team I will get that

Mewizard

I would get both if I could afford 2. Mainly for the reason that I won't lose my first playtrough team if I ever want to replay the game.
That makes sense I guess considering pokemon doesn't have multiple save files which seems very strange for a game in 2019. I usually only do one playtrough so I never thought of that.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
That makes sense I guess considering pokemon doesn't have multiple save files which seems very strange for a game in 2019. I usually only do one playtrough so I never thought of that.
Unlike 3DS series, you don't need the second pair to start anew. If you create a new profile in your Switch, the new profile allows you to create a new save file with only one copy. So, you can have Pokémon Sword and have multiple save files.

Those who buy the second versions Switch-onwards, is mostly for collecting, trading between own units or version-exclusives.

Mewizard

Unlike 3DS series, you don't need the second pair to start anew. If you create a new profile in your Switch, the new profile allows you to create a new save file with only one copy. So, you can have Pokémon Sword and have multiple save files.

Those who buy the second versions Switch-onwards, is mostly for collecting, trading between own units or version-exclusives.
Thats good to know! Thank you.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3

Omg I can have multiple file save ???????? Finally!!!!!

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Neither for now. I'm waiting for games after Sword and Shield and seeing if they might have a more complete pokédex. I also don't feel pressured to buy early at all, the games won't be fully supported until Home is out anyway, and we still have no idea how Home will interact with multiple accounts on the same Switch. There's just too much unknown about the mechanics and costs right now for me to pay hundreds of euros for what is essentially only a story playthrough.
Omg I can have multiple file save ???????? Finally!!!!!
To an extent. You need separate Nintendo Switch Online subscriptions for each save file, otherwise you can't go online. And we don't even know if it is actually Home compatible to do so.