• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sword or Shield - which version are you getting?

Which version will you be getting?

• Sword

Votes: 42 27.5%
  • Shield

Votes: 54 35.3%
  • Both

Votes: 47 30.7%
  • I'll wait for the third version to come out

Votes: 10 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Neither for now. I'm waiting for games after Sword and Shield and seeing if they might have a more complete pokédex. I also don't feel pressured to buy early at all, the games won't be fully supported until Home is out anyway, and we still have no idea how Home will interact with multiple accounts on the same Switch. There's just too much unknown about the mechanics and costs right now for me to pay hundreds of euros for what is essentially only a story playthrough.

To an extent. You need separate Nintendo Switch Online subscriptions for each save file, otherwise you can't go online. And we don't even know if it is actually Home compatible to do so.
Oh well I didnt understand what u said cuz I dont have a switch yet but I guess I will wait till it comes out to see =]

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Oh well I didnt understand what u said cuz I dont have a switch yet but I guess I will wait till it comes out to see =]
Essentially, on the Switch, to do anything at all online, like trading or battling or anything else, you need a Nintendo Switch Online subscription. It's about €20 a year, so over the course of a generation it's essentially the price of another Switch game. And multiple save files work by using multiple accounts on the same switch. However, Nintendo Switch Online only works on an account basis, so if you use two save files on one game, you need two accounts and therefore also pay for Nintendo Switch Online twice, costs add up quite quickly because Home is also mostly required for these games to do anything online which comes with its own subscription fee that we don't know yet.

derekrandall

As for Let’s Go, you can play through the game completely with a separate save you just can’t trade or battle online. So you can use your “main account” to do online activities and then use your second save to just play the game through without battling or trading real people online. So it’s still pretty useful! The only thing I don’t like about it is that it doesn’t log your played hours on your profile, which to some prolly dosen’t matter but I like having my profile hours played up to date.

Frostfall

So far, I'm leaning towards sword. I tend to go for the cool colored version in general and especially if they restrict the clothing colors as they did in Sun/Moon as I love blue and hate red and bright pink. I haven't heard anything about that for these versions so far, but that would be a deciding factor. I also like the sword version exclusives better, both gym leaders and pokemon. I don't really like either legendary so that won't impact my decision.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I'm getting Pokemon Fishing Rod version. You got a sword, you got a shield and you got a fishing rod. Just like Legend of Zelda lol.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Originally was going with Sword version, but now leaning towards Shield, exclusives wise. Might get the other version down the road depending on the cost of Home.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Both
Sword will be my main though

Probably the last time I'll buy both apart from DP remakes. Unless they stop with this Dexit crap

PokeMon2.0

Cramorant is too cute for words!
Sword. I love Zacian’s design better.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I still don't own a Nintendo Switch, so I'm leaning on neither for now. However, if I manage to save some cash and purchase the Switch before November, I'll probably pick up Sword version because I think Zacian looks better than its counterpart.

MewsTruck

Both. Been awhile since I purchased both pokemon games, not since ruby and sapphire. After that only got one version.

Anyways I'm getting both but not the double pack. Unless I can get the steel book or something. Other than that I'm getting both separate

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
I'm getting shield. But I'll be getting my wife sword

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
Going for the non mainstream route and play Shield first. Also like the exclusives more than Sword tbh. Having pre-ordered the double pack with both games anyway.

rhynosaurus

Originally I had planned to get Sword, but the lore behind Duralodon is forcing me to get Shield. My SO will have Sword so I can likely play both, assuming saves are relegated to specific profiles.

landipan

Essentially, on the Switch, to do anything at all online, like trading or battling or anything else, you need a Nintendo Switch Online subscription. It's about €20 a year, so over the course of a generation it's essentially the price of another Switch game. And multiple save files work by using multiple accounts on the same switch. However, Nintendo Switch Online only works on an account basis, so if you use two save files on one game, you need two accounts and therefore also pay for Nintendo Switch Online twice, costs add up quite quickly because Home is also mostly required for these games to do anything online which comes with its own subscription fee that we don't know yet.

I don't have a Switch yet, but you're saying there would be no way to trade Pokemon online without paying for the privilege?! That sucks, I hadn't known that yet. That's going to be disappointing if I get Shield but there's an exclusive 'mon I really like on Sword.

aa_623

With what information we have now, I will most likely get Shield. Mostly because I prefer Zamazenta's design. Maybe some other version exclusives will have me switch, but unlikely. I still need to get a Switch. I'm the type that waits for the new system until the new main series game. Been that way since the late 90s haha

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I don't have a Switch yet, but you're saying there would be no way to trade Pokemon online without paying for the privilege?! That sucks, I hadn't known that yet. That's going to be disappointing if I get Shield but there's an exclusive 'mon I really like on Sword.
That's indeed how it works. There might be a local trade option which wouldn't need Nintendo Switch Online, but as far as I know that hasn't been confirmed for these games yet.

landipan

That's indeed how it works. There might be a local trade option which wouldn't need Nintendo Switch Online, but as far as I know that hasn't been confirmed for these games yet.

Well dang, lol that really sucks, I guess I better just make sure I pick the right version then. I'm surprised they've made this change after all these years.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
As for Let’s Go, you can play through the game completely with a separate save you just can’t trade or battle online. So you can use your “main account” to do online activities and then use your second save to just play the game through without battling or trading real people online. So it’s still pretty useful! The only thing I don’t like about it is that it doesn’t log your played hours on your profile, which to some prolly dosen’t matter but I like having my profile hours played up to date.

I don't usually play online/competitively anyway, with the exception of the Festival Plaza in Gen 7.