• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sword or Shield - which version are you getting?

Which version will you be getting?

• Sword

Votes: 42 27.5%
  • Shield

Votes: 54 35.3%
  • Both

Votes: 47 30.7%
  • I'll wait for the third version to come out

Votes: 10 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DR.gonzo

Preordered Shield this morning

Had to flip a coin for this one as it wasn't an easy choice this time around

Golisopod_Propaganda

Emergency Exit
I got the dual pack. I am going to play Shield and my girlfriend is going to play Sword. I may switch my preorder to Pokémon Center though just so I can get those little plushies. The Amazon exclusives are kinda pointless since I can just trade for the pseudo from the other game.

Dragon Pulse

Still conflicted on which one I should get first. I pre-ordered Shield (mainly because of the version exclusives and Allister), but Zacian makes me want to start off with Sword because I prefer it over Zamazenta. I don't know whether to switch or not. :/

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Haven't voted yet which means I haven't decided yet and launch date is nearing. I've never been this conflicted on which game to choose. Decisions. Decisions. Do I want the butter knife or the plate? Be honest guys. How many of you think there should be a "I can't decide" option on that poll?

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
I had every intention of getting Sword, but preloaded Shield at the last minute because I like its Home icon better :p

I still prefer Zacian conceptually though I like Zamazenta’s color scheme more. Gonna have to figure out what I can trade to obtain Sword Dog. I have a feeling it will need to be more than Gigantamax Eevee.

Sceptrigon

Armored Legend
I still prefer Zacian conceptually though I like Zamazenta’s color scheme more. Gonna have to figure out what I can trade to obtain Sword Dog. I have a feeling it will need to be more than Gigantamax Eevee.

Somehow I’ve always found it easy to find version exclusive legendaries and things on the GTS. People may ask for other legendaries or rare kinds of Pokémon, and it just so happens that I have more than one in previous games I own. It didn’t take long to transfer them and go back online for quick trades. But with the dex restrictions, it might be more difficult to find trades without having to give away my own legendary. And if the GTS really is only available on Home, I don’t think I’ll pay for it anytime soon.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Unless you want Zacian and Zamazenta at the same time, you could trade Zacian for Zamazenta or vice versa if you want both slots on your Pokédex filled. That would probably be the #1 trade for a while. This is also what I plan to do (albeit Zamazenta for Zacian as I'll be playing Shield).

(And considering Herbs and potentially Hyper Training, you don't really need to worry about any traits Zacian or Zamazenta may have if you plan to use it in battle, possibly except for the type of ball it's caught in.)

Sceptrigon

Armored Legend
Unless you want Zacian and Zamazenta at the same time, you could trade Zacian for Zamazenta or vice versa if you want both slots on your Pokédex filled. That would probably be the #1 trade for a while. This is also what I plan to do (albeit Zamazenta for Zacian as I'll be playing Shield).

(And considering Herbs and potentially Hyper Training, you don't really need to worry about any traits Zacian or Zamazenta may have if you plan to use it in battle, possibly except for the type of ball it's caught in.)

Yeah I meant being able to own both legendaries at the same time rather than just have the Pokédex filled. But thanks though. I’ve been able to complete a living dex in Ultra Sun, but since we can’t transfer everything to Sword and Shield, maybe I won’t bother collecting anymore.

ebevan91

Yeah I meant being able to own both legendaries at the same time rather than just have the Pokédex filled. But thanks though. I’ve been able to complete a living dex in Ultra Sun, but since we can’t transfer everything to Sword and Shield, maybe I won’t bother collecting anymore.

I was thinking about rounding up all of the Gen 1-7 Pokemon that are in the Galar dex to transfer over whenever Home releases but I think I'll just capture them all again in the game so at least my entire living dex in that game will be Galar native.

Sceptrigon

Armored Legend
I was thinking about rounding up all of the Gen 1-7 Pokemon that are in the Galar dex to transfer over whenever Home releases but I think I'll just capture them all again in the game so at least my entire living dex in that game will be Galar native.

I think that would be better to do. The thing about transferring so far is that you can only transfer Pokémon available in the Galar dex, while everyone else is left behind. We don’t yet know for sure if the others will be available in future games. And as someone who prefers to keep the entire collection together in one game, I’d rather keep them all in an older game than break them apart in any way. I don’t think it’s worth using a subscription service at this point when the Pokémon available in Sword/Shield can all be caught in-game.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Ended up getting Shield version as a Secret Santa gift on another forum.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I bought Sword & I asked for Shield for Christmas, though I’m debating on whether or not to wait until Pokémon Home comes out to play it