• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sword & Shield I: Slumbering Weald (1131)

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
A decent beggining to kickstart the arc. I do have some issues with it though. While it's nice they are going straight to the main story - and let's face it, SwSh is bare bones enough the show only needs a 4-parter to deal with it - I didn't like how they handled the duo's meeting with the doggos as well as how they split them up. I get they are making a point of both boys doing their own thing but I feel like their split could have been better handled.

Animation had some sloppy shots but it's serviceable at least.

All in all, not to much to say as it's an episode that mostly serves as set-up. Let's see what else this arc has in store.

Interesting. Wonder why Giovanni is in Galar?
More like Giovanni of Galar

Galarian Giovanni :p

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
This arc may have minimal build up but this episode and the preview for the next episode already makes me like the animes take more than the games take. Wild.

Atleast Crown Tundra heavily stepped up with its Calyrex story [\SPOILER]

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Good catch there, Twilight-Kun!

Guess fog gets to be selective on where it is in the anime world.

thedarkdragon11

P4P Elite
I find it weird that Leon's Charizard at base can KO a G-Max Centiskorch but needed to G-Max when battling Ash's Pikachu at G-Max, yet Pikachu can't damage the Centiskorch even with Dragonite and Riolu... What's the explanation behind this? I mean, Leon's Charizard at base must be able to KO Ash's G-Max Pikachu...

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
I find it weird that Leon's Charizard at base can KO a G-Max Centiskorch but needed to G-Max when battling Ash's Pikachu at G-Max, yet Pikachu can't damage the Centiskorch even with Dragonite and Riolu... What's the explanation behind this? I mean, Leon's Charizard at base must be able to KO Ash's G-Max Pikachu...
Let's be fair, Pikachu's far stronger than that Centiskorch. Been that way for a longtime, except ofc in BW where they tried to reset it and Ash but did it poorly.

thedarkdragon11

P4P Elite
Let's be fair, Pikachu's far stronger than that Centiskorch. Been that way for a longtime, except ofc in BW where they tried to reset it and Ash but did it poorly.

I know Pikachu is more powerful but it's already 3 of them which can't hurt the Centiskorch... Yet, it only took 2 attacks for Charizard to KO it... But when base Charizard and base Pikachu fought, Pikachu can hold off his own...

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
I know Pikachu is more powerful but it's already 3 of them which can't hurt the Centiskorch... Yet, it only took 2 attacks for Charizard to KO it... But when base Charizard and base Pikachu fought, Pikachu can hold off his own...

I mean tbf:

1. Leon attacked from the unguarded back
2. He used a pretty powerful and spread out 4x effective move followed with a 2x effective move with STAB bonus

While ash:
1. Tried to brute force with electroweb, which isn't the most powerful move and wasn't big enough for him to actually pull off some shenanigans
2. Followed up with riolu and tried to brute force with a 0,5x effective move
3. Had to use the 3 combination move to cancel out a max move, which is fair enough since it's a max move

Really seems to be the case of ash being kinda dumb and careless rather than only because leon is OP. I'd call shenanigan if leon brute forced the Gmax drednaw with fireblast or something while pikachu couldn't do anything.

dman_dustin

If Leon didn't interfere and Ash wasn't cowardly I think Ash would've done fine. Leon was just trying to avoid collateral damage. Plus maybe Leon is used to fighting d/g-max Pokemon unlike Ash and inows how to inflict the most damage.

And finally its simply that Leon is the strongest of course he was going to beat Centiskorch easily, to be honest its a surprise Centiskorch survived a 4x supereffective move to begin with no way was it going to survive a 2x super efrective move with stab afterwards.

As for Ash vs Leon, well:

1. Charizard didn't use super effective moves unlike against Centiskorch.
2. It would've been boring for Pikachu to be OHKO, so Leon could've held back even if its not in his character.

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
He used a pretty powerful and spread out 4x effective move followed with a 2x effective move with STAB bonus
...you do know those aren't a thing in the anime, right?

Pokemon are however strong they need to be, whether a pokemon is able to tank repeated recoil moves against an Elite Four level pokemon, or getting clobbered by untrained base pokemon fighting over food

Lucario At Service

Calm Trainer
Seems like a "Quote" comment i made here got deleted for some reason.
...you do know those aren't a thing in the anime, right?

Pokemon are however strong they need to be, whether a pokemon is able to tank repeated recoil moves against an Elite Four level pokemon, or getting clobbered by untrained base pokemon fighting over food
Even then, some of it still applies, like
- While 2x or 4x damage isn't a thing in the Anime, "Type-Effectiveness" is still a thing which does increases or decreases the damage taken.
- "Electroweb" was too small scale in-size compared to the size of G.Max Centiskorch, so it really couldn't trap it. Plus, "Electroweb" isn't really treated as a damaging move in the Anime to begin with (aka., while in games it has around 55 BP, in the Anime its treated like it has 0-5 BP), its mainly used as a trapping/defensive move, with minor-shock and paralyzing effects (i don't remember seeing it damage a Pokemon heavily yet).
- Riolu's "Vacuum Wave" also did low-damage because of it being used against a G.Max Pokemon plus that too against a part Bug type.
- Dragonite could have done decent damage with its "Hurricane", but Ash only used it as a counter-move, not as attack.

Well, we can say that the reason Ash did bad compared to Leon was to do with their approach in handling the situation.
- Leon mainly focused on stopping G.Max Centiskorch any way possible to stop its rampage and reduce damage, this allowed him to easily fight against it without holding back.
- On the other hand, Ash wasn't trying to stop G.Max Centiskorch through using force (like Leon), but rather by trying to convince it or trapping it. Ash didn't really try to fight G.Max Centiskorch, which is why he did things sort of half-hearted.

Last edited:

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
And just like that, I can't even take this dub seriously despite literally hiring top VAs.

Reminds of how awful the voice direction was in Prinny 2.
Oh cmon this is such an overexaggeration. That voice ain't that bad and this episode was good in the dub, Leon's entry was as epic in the sub as it is here with the BGM as well as the wolves appearing. The VA for the characters were done well too

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
And just like that, I can't even take this dub seriously despite literally hiring top VAs.

Reminds of how awful the voice direction was in Prinny 2.

Oh cmon this is such an overexaggeration. That voice ain't that bad and this episode was good in the dub, Leon's entry was as epic in the sub as it is here with the BGM as well as the wolves appearing. The VA for the characters were done well too
I have to agree. There are a few odd moments like Centiskorch, but all & all I loved the Darkest Day arc in the dub. The new VAs for Rose, Oleana, Prof. Magnolia all surprisingly fit their roles and everyone gave a strong performance.

Plus there was a good balance between the original & dub music, especially during the fourth episode during the battle with Eternatus

Mythical-Moonlight

I just ran, I ran all Night and Day ~
The Humans Characters sound alright
(Except Lana and Lillie)

But some of the Pokémon are just... Lol
(Tho that may be intentional)

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Eh. Could be worse.

It could be XYZ Zapdos.

But I can see this totally happens in there:

Lisa: Okay, Steve Blum. We finally were able to afford you to talk to me. I want you to voice this character.

Steve (smoking a cigarrette): Cool. What's it gonna be?

Lisa: Make a really high pitched baby noise for this female giant Wailord.

Steve: ...**** you.

Last edited: