• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sword & Shield IV: Ultimate Sword & Shield (1134)

Decidueye23

XY and SM didn't show off every Mega and Z-Move. Don't see why Journeys is obligated to show off every G-Max. Also, they could've just had TR repeat what they did with Drednaw.
Its not obligated to show all G-Maxes i agree. I just felt that given that rose was supposed to be the villain of this arc, him not gigantamaxing was a bit underwhelming. thats about it.

The final battle seems too short...

So Goh catch legendary with the help of Ash in throwing. But he can't do anything with it, he cannot even call it from pokeball and it have to be given to authority to be sealed away. He break the mold in "catching" but not in "using".

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Its not obligated to show all G-Maxes i agree. I just felt that given that rose was supposed to be the villain of this arc, him not gigantamaxing was a bit underwhelming. thats about it.
I was talking about Meowth.

British Soul

Top Hat Regulator
Riolu's evolution in this episode marked the first time since Sinnoh (Quilava) that a pokemon Ash has caught has evolved in a different region that it was caught at, and the fourth overall (the others being Donphan and Sceptile). Though for older viewers, the Ash/Rose fight gave off BW-vibes considering Riolu evolved mid battle and finished off two pokemon, and remember in BW when Kotetsu's Riolu evolved Ash only had Snivy and Pikachu remaining, and also like in BW the move that ended the fight was Aura Sphere. I did like that Lucario used its aura to communicate with Ash.

Onto Go's fight, I can translate what Olena was chatting mid-battle:
Oleana: "Useless. I'm amazed that you thought you could stop Eternatus, as weak as you are."
What Oleana actually meant: "Useless. You thought you could beat a Water-type with a Fire-type."
As for the fight, it was nice to see Go take advantage of the narrow hallway to attack from all angles, not giving Milotic enough time to dodge all of the attacks. And with Cinderace beating Milotic with Pyro Ball, Go now enters the pantheon of characters who beat a water-type with a fire-type (a club that Ash and Gary are a part of). Despite having other moves at its disposal, I'll give Go a pass for wanting to use Ember to finish the fight as that is the move at the heart of Go's/Cinderace's development as of late.

Moving on to the meat and potatoes of the whole shebang, the Eternatus fight. Despite the fact that Team Rocket got their obligatory blast off, Mewoth at least attempted to use G-Max Gold Rush, keyword being attempted as Mewoth reverted back to normal before the attack could finish, and barring Night Slash (which he claimed to have in DP), this is the first time Mewoth has used a new move since EP008. The fight itself was nothing out of the ordinary as far as the plot is concerned (one difference being Leon using an Ultra Balll in the episode as opposed to a Poke Ball in the games), though I wasn't expecting Go to be the one to capture Eternatus, sure it was sealed away in a safe but the data is still in his pokedex, but I think sealing it away is the right call imo.

All in all, I do think that the pacing for this episode seemed too quick considering the amount of content crammed into this episode.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
As for the fight, it was nice to see Go take advantage of the narrow hallway to attack from all angles, not giving Milotic enough time to dodge all of the attacks. And with Cinderace beating Milotic with Pyro Ball, Go now enters the pantheon of characters who beat a water-type with a fire-type (a club that Ash and Gary are a part of). Despite having other moves at its disposal, I'll give Go a pass for wanting to use Ember to finish the fight as that is the move at the heart of Go's/Cinderace's development as of late.

The way I read it was more like Goh understanding what Raboot meant with insisting on Ember. It's the move they both created together and it ties well into Goh's growth. Back in the day, he told Scorbunny to quit insisting to learn a fire type move because it was impossible while here he actually tried to make it work with his pokémon despite it seeming impossible.

...Every Normal-type move becomes G-Max Goldrush when used by Gigantamax Meowth.

So Meowth's only move, scratch, could have made TR rich lol

British Soul

Top Hat Regulator
The way I read it was more like Goh understanding what Raboot meant with insisting on Ember. It's the move they both created together and it ties well into Goh's growth. Back in the day, he told Scorbunny to quit insisting to learn a fire type move because it was impossible while here he actually tried to make it work with his pokémon despite it seeming impossible.
Well yes, that is what I meant. (I simply skipped the 3 line explanation in my post)

So Meowth's only move, scratch, could have made TR rich lol
Meowth has Fury Swipes as well, which it has used on many occasions.

Red and Blue

I wanted to see Gold Rush in action so I'm hoping Meowth properly uses it next time he Gigantamaxes. Plus Jessie and James could use the leftover cash

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Alot of things happened in this episode, so I'm not surprised that it is rushed. But yeah, Riolu and Raboot evolved into Lucario & Cinderace respectively while Ash fights against Rose and Goh against Oleana.

Leon had to fail, just like in the games, to fight against Eternatus because he didn't carry the sacred items so he can summon the Galar Hero dogs unlike Ash & Goh.

Ok episode. I liked better than the SM Mother Beast ending where it got destroyed by a random Pikachu Z-move, but less than XYZ Team Flare ending because they aren't many characters involved in this crisis.

Yce288

Grass type FTW
It's been 3,000 years… , part 2.
Interesting thing i noticed is that as of now the two episodes(episode 25 and this episode) that have themes arranged by Shinji Miyazaki in them involve Lucario in a way(in episode 25's case, Korrina returned and during her battle with Ash, her Lucario mega evolved and in this episode's case,
Ash's riolu evolved into Lucario).

GhostWallker98

I wasn't expecting much out of the battles. My thinking is that they are going to save the epic battles for when Ash makes it to hyper and master class. They probably felt that the first 2 classes shouldn't be as big of a struggle for Ash so they won't waste time trying to make them super good. Honestly, I am okay with the battles being not as good or rushed right now, even for this 4 part arc.

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
Oh...right...

That actually is a fact. It shouldn't evolve during the night.

They REALLY were trying to justify it with hype.
(nobody tell them that friendship-based evos and the like are game mechanics and that the anime's been ignoring them for literally decades)

;P

People claim TR weren't needed heavily missed that this was the only way to et Meowth G-max and make sense.
Except...it made no sense and only served to show that Meowth is sttronger than Ash's Dragonite and Pikachu due to it tanking a Dynamax Cannon to the face while Dragonite and Pikachu were both KO'd by near misses

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Except...it made no sense and only served to show that Meowth is sttronger than Ash's Dragonite and Pikachu due to it tanking a Dynamax Cannon to the face while Dragonite and Pikachu were both KO'd by near misses
Near misses are still dangerous. I remembered an XYZ episode where Ash felled into the volcanic dome nearly touching its lava, he would still get burned to death by hot air if logic is applied.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
Em1iTYKUUAIs_Vi

Either the pandemic is messing with their animation production rate, or...eww.

(Remember that first fight Goku had with Beerus at King Kai's Planet and how ugly the fight was drawn? Toei actually corrected those ugly shots later.)
That's an in-between frame that is on-screen for 1/12 of a second leading into a final shot that looks perfectly okay, in an episode that on the whole actually looked fairly solid (albeit nowhere near as good as I hoped it would.) Do not invoke DBS episode 5 here. It's not even remotely comparable.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I see nothing wrong with Lucario. He looks exactly what it's supposed to be.