• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ta-Dough! Burn with Passion, Mallow's Family! (1015)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
1015.jpg

Ta-Dough! Burn with Passion, Mallow's Family!

Mallow's older brother has returned home from a long journey. He is enthusiastic about taking part in the local Alola Bread Festival, held only once a year. Ash & co. decide to help him prepare for the festival, but when the day of the festival hits, catastrophe strikes. Will they be able to participate in the festival?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Oh shocking, another BS filler where Mallow gets no pokemon growth. Wow, she made sweet scent bread and won a trophy, best development a female has ever received -_-.

Literally the WORST 1 hour special EVER!!!!

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Oh shocking, another BS filler where Mallow gets no pokemon growth. Wow, she made sweet scent bread and won a trophy, best development a female has ever received -_-.

Literally the WORST 1 hour special EVER!!!!

^^^
And people got all pissy when I said Mallow wouldn't get anything out of this once it and the first summary was announced.

I went into this expecting nothing and nothing happened like I expected.
The fact they missed out on a perfect capture opportunity for another character in the episode before this doesn't really help. In fact, Kiawe's the only episode that really matters in the end.... even though I didn't like that episode much either.

At least next week something will actually happen so there's that.... really hope they give Mallow something sooner or later though. I get all excited when I see she's getting a new episode than once I see a summary I get depressed again as I know something like this or Oranguru will happen.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
^^^
And people got all pissy when I said Mallow wouldn't get anything out of this once it and the first summary was announced.

I went into this expecting nothing and nothing happened like I expected.
The fact they missed out on a perfect capture opportunity for another character in the episode before this doesn't really help. In fact, Kiawe's the only episode that really matters in the end.... even though I didn't like that episode much either.

At least next week something will actually happen so there's that.... really hope they give Mallow something sooner or later though. I get all excited when I see she's getting a new episode than once I see a summary I get depressed again as I know something like this or Oranguru will happen.

That'll teach me to get excited about a glow thinking it was a new move. Right Mallow is officially CANCELED I will forever call every Mallow episode a BS filler until the episode actually airs and she does something POKEMON related. Screw her stupid cooking goal, it is boring and pointless.

Slapstick-Olivia

Mallow really fees like the fifth wheel of this show. For me it really seems like she is only part of the show, so that we have a balance of 3 boy characters and 3 female characters. So far this show could actually run with out her as part of the main cast. We really only needed Ash, Lillie, Kiawe, Lana and maybe Sophocles. Even thought both Lana and Sophocles also do not get best treatment of the show. But at least way more better than poor Mallow.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Lol Mallow is this series' Brock; it was obvious from the start.

Nah, please don't insult Brock so badly by comparing him to this waste of space. It was only in DP that he got stale, but honestly, he was the guy that made the show in OS and AG. There's a reason he is the most memorable companion of all time to the majority.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
I thought this episode was OK. I was wondering whether Mallow's brother would steal the spotlight but she ended up doing enough on her own to stand out.

I'm also pleasantly surprised by the fact Team Rocket didn't interfere (directly) with the group, rather than try and steal Pokémon, they were just competitors.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
This episode wasn't really interesting overall but I kinda liked it that Nina returned for the Alola Bread Festival. Ash had literally forgotten who she was and the episode focused much more on Mallow's brother's crush on Nina rather than her interactions with Ash. And also unfortunately we didn't see much from Alolan Raichu.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
I liked this filler episode because Mallow's brother repeatedly and repeatedly reminded me of Brock lol. This is exactly how Brock used to act in front of pretty girls. Exactly. :D

Fact is: Mallow's brother is actually a Grass type version of Brock. His Brock like antics is the sole and only reason I liked this filler even though Mallow got squat.

7/10.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Oh, I was wrong.

'Ulu isn't the human form of Ash's Sceptile. He's actually Brock's Alola Form (a Grass-type instead of a Rock-type)!

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
That'll teach me to get excited about a glow thinking it was a new move. Right Mallow is officially CANCELED I will forever call every Mallow episode a BS filler until the episode actually airs and she does something POKEMON related. Screw her stupid cooking goal, it is boring and pointless.

I think people have done that several times this saga, each time something glows in a preview I seem to see posts getting excited about it.

But yeah, Mallow's goal sucks. Why couldn't it be anything Pokemon related?! Everybody else's goal is! Why not hers? Cooking is best left as just a trait a character possess and not simply their entire character! Cilan owned a restaurant but did he only cook? No, he was a conniseur of literally everything under the sun! And Brock was the older brother so he obviously did the cooking.... Serena baked cause.... she was a girl? *shrug* But she did more than that.... okay not a lot as the guys, but still.... she did more than just cook.
Mallow could have still been a great cook, and help her father out much like Kiawe does with his family... but actually have a goal like he does, whatever the Fire of Alola means anyways.... people may mock Soph for being a fat Clemont, but at least he has a purpose and goal.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Mallow goes to an (underutilized) school and is also an (underutilized) Ultra Guardian.

Like I see your point but she's more than a chef.

There is also nothing wrong with her goal, since Food Wars shows us you can make cooking entertaining, the problem lies in her not getting enough episodes to actually showcase it.

DatsRight

I thought this episode was OK. I was wondering whether Mallow's brother would steal the spotlight but she ended up doing enough on her own to stand out.

I'm also pleasantly surprised by the fact Team Rocket didn't interfere (directly) with the group, rather than try and steal Pokémon, they were just competitors.

Same I expected Mallow's brother to be a more bombastic counterpart to Mallow, which happened. He didn't COMPLETELY steal the show however, Mallow actually got to do something this time round.

I don't mind Mallow's more mundane goal, it's just it doesn't get utilised in a very developed or entertaining way and it tended to end up so mundane that they had to pad it with stuff like bad TR face-offs. This time they did actually try to go the whole way developing on Mallow, her background, and what she does in a creative sense. She even got to use Steenee in a clever way, even if it was kinda brief. I liked the subtle ways Kiawe's Pokemon came in handy as well.

Poor TR they were doing so well at the start then business dwindled as usual. Even Wobbuffet couldn't resist Mallow's snacks. XD I'm hoping they keep to this rival goal since it works better in Mallow's episodes over generic villain interruptions.

Ulu was likeable enough, like Brock on his better days (though sadly no abdomen abuse from Likitung :p). Also liked them bringing back the Pancake house girl and her Raichu for his flirting gag.

I'd say this was actually pretty good for a Mallow episode. I do hope next time round we get a step up, a boost for Steenee or a new capture, but this shown signs of hope for her.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Oh, I was wrong.

'Ulu isn't the human form of Ash's Sceptile. He's actually Brock's Alola Form (a Grass-type instead of a Rock-type)!
LOL I honestly got that 'Grass type version of Brock' idea from some YouTube comments. :D
Lol Mallow is this series' Brock; it was obvious from the start.
Oh common, it's obviously Ulu(Mallow's brother) who is the new Brock. His flirting with pretty girls gave a classic sense of nostalgia, it took me back to the times Brock was in this anime, they both looked so alike in this aspect. ;)

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
So on to the second episode of this special. Surely it can't be any worse than the first one right? Well nope, cause it's almost as pointless.

While it was nice to see Mallow's brother, him returning for only one episode just for the Bread festival felt lame. Also, Ash not remembering Nina was the height of ridiculousness. I get he's not the smartest kid around, but to forget a character within the same series, and the family of Nurse Joy's thrice is indeed ridiculous. Only Mallow's brother offered some kind of entertainment, as he was fairly funny. Beyond that, this episode was a dud, hence it gets a 3.5/10.

Next time, unless and until an episode focusing on Mallow clearly indicates something important, like a capture or evolution, I'll treat every Mallow episode to be a trash filler.

And overall, this was one of the worst one hour specials. Two boring and pointless episodes that did nothing.

Last edited: