• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ta-Dough! Burn with Passion, Mallow's Family! (1015)

Honestly, I really enjoyed this episode. I thought Ulu was a rather enjoyable character, and Nina's Raichu saying, "Raiiii," in the end had me actually laughing out loud. Lickitung's voice was... interesting. I hope we see Ulu again before the series ends. This was one of the better fillers in SM in my opinion.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Things actually happen in those ones, so, no they are not.

Most unnecessary episode in SMUA, I said. I stand by that because at least things happened in those other episodes mentioned and I could say things about it. This one was a half hour of basically nothing.

I do like Mallow. I don't like it that the show barely gives her anything to do.
Her goal is cooking and this was an entire cooking-focused episode where she won a competition. And despite the initial impression of things to the audience at the beginning of the episode, it was not at all Ulu and all Mallow. She's the one who figured out what to do with the sour berries when he was about to give up just because the sweet ones were lost. So I really can't see how you can say it was nothing and she didn't do anything and you can't say anything. In fact, a post like yours is more frustrating than others who didn't like the episode because at least they say why, but you're just being stubborn and not really explaining what you mean by "nothing happened" (which is false) so I have no idea how to properly respond.

And what exactly could you say "happened" in SM058 or 059 that was more "necessary" than this one?

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
It's a Mallow....................................'s family episode! Where we get to see Mallow's superb cooking skills YET again!

Ugh. Seriously. She's not interesting at all, so it comes down to developing her family. Either they're full of it in front of the TV, or they're a mess in front of girls. Where is your freaking mom?!

Her brother isn't Brock. Fact is, she and her brother are Brock split into two people. Mallow is the cook, but her brother is the Casanova.

This episode was only good because of our sweet little Background Riolu popping around. Did it get food, we will never know.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I do dislike how it's treated in the anime after Sinnoh.
as a Lucario fan or someone who's sick of Lucario? Because presuming you're a Lucario fan, then how can you dislike it? It eliminates Ash in Unova, gets its own 5-episode arc in Kalos, and shows up as a main companion's main Pokémon in Gen VII.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
as a Lucario fan or someone who's sick of Lucario? Because presuming you're a Lucario fan, then how can you dislike it? It eliminates Ash in Unova, gets its own 5-episode arc in Kalos, and shows up as a main companion's main Pokémon in Gen VII.
You can like tacos and yet dislike how it's suddenly shoved to your mouth with fireworks and a parade.

In other words, I may be a Lucario fan, but I cannot for the life of me ignore poor execution.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
You can like tacos and yet dislike how it's suddenly shoved to your mouth with fireworks and a parade.

In other words, I may be a Lucario fan, but I cannot for the life of me ignore poor execution.
Good. We can at least be twinsies in one aspect.

Vipsoccermaster

Fine episode. Glad that Mallow won the competition. She was able to come up a way after all the Grepa berries were gone. Ulu was a weird brother Mallow had. He's almost like Brock, but it got really old fast for him.

Mallow might not get any development toward herself as a Pokémon trainer along with Steenee, but development as a chef is helping her a lot. It's just as she said earlier in the series: She wants her restaurant to be the best in Alola.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Mallow might not get any development toward herself as a Pokémon trainer along with Steenee, but development as a chef is helping her a lot. It's just as she said earlier in the series: She wants her restaurant to be the best in Alola.
Problem is she's basically perfect on that front. No chefs in this show have ever struggled to cook unless they got sick and...handed the duties to the less experienced.

DatsRight

Problem is she's basically perfect on that front. No chefs in this show have ever struggled to cook unless they got sick and...handed the duties to the less experienced.

I think that's a key issue, Mallow has never really had anything she has been challenged in throughout the show, battles, employment, the Ultra Guardian missions, even most of the class agendas she does blandly decent in while everyone else has had moments of being remarkably good or awful. This is counting the large moments she isn't just in the background. There's no sense of character agency in there because she has no strengths or flaws that play greatly into her role and make her unique in use.

Soaring Pikachu

Cool Trainer
For a cooking contest the audience did not get to see much competition. Or maybe I should say I prefer to see a format that shows more of the contest? Otherwise it had Lickitung, Snorlax and a lot of amusing face expressions, so still pretty good.