• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Takehiko Inoue Plagiarism?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems he has been using photograh to his drawings for Slam Dunk. he an essay about the whole thing.

After a convincing plagiaristic report of the manga Flower of Eden. It seems Takehiko Inoue himself has been plagiarising the photos of NBA players.

This has sparked a montrous thread in japanese forums where nearly over thousand posts were made in one night, at a single forum site.

Japanese people who are protecting Takehiko Inoue say that, Takehiko Inoue himself admitted that he will be relying on NBA as critical resource.

However, according to law concerning copyright of photographs. One cannot intentionally copy the photos of another person without proper permission or any kind of contract, sponsor, or license.

As the manga Slam Dunk still sells in printed format, it will be a question to wait and see what will happen, although it is most unlikely that any original photographers, especially being American and not really aware of the manga industry would ever notice this.

Now...for my opinion.

I think this is quite a shame for Takehiko Sensei.

I still am a great fan of his works and respect his ability to create an august storyline, however I myself who plan to go into the field of manga industry cannot hold back the feeling of betrayal.

Alot of Manga artists, korean and japanese alike have had tremendous respect towards the abilities of Takehiko Sensei.

His work Slam Dunk especially has been a great influence for many artists. Who mostly admired his ability to create great composition and details in the mangas he drew.

Now, to find out that an abundant amount of scenes within his work Slam Dunk are just exact copies of photos taken by other artists, which he never even had the permission to copyright of is dissappointing.

I cannot picture myself to think that Takehiko Sensei with knowledge of what plagiarism is, intentionally copied these photos without the consent of those photographers who took them.

I am certain, he has lost his respect in the eyes of many manga artists. Because now it is evident that Takehiko sensei, no matter how he tries to make an excuse by saying he was making a "reference". He was merely copying them with tracing paper.

I really have no interest in the legal issues ha may have to handle in his upcoming days.
I am more concerned with those new and old mangakas, korean and japanese, who have had so much respect for Takehiko Inoue sensei's ability. Only to know now that he has been plagiarising.

I am truly hurt for myself, and others who have always admired Takehiko Sensei. For all the respect he had been given by those who repsect him, he has given dissapointed to those who may have looked up to him as an influence.

Legal issues only require court dates, fines, and loss of respect from those who may only ever notice himif he ever comes live on TV.

But leaving such dissapointment in those who admired him. That's quite a pity.

Also there is comparison picture for you to get the idea.
http://www.kmib.co.kr/online_image/2005/1113/20051113s22.jpg

Tell me what you think of this?

K

Kokukirin

I don't mind it at all. Slam Dunk is still great without those pictures.

Besides, isn't it normal to have pictures in a basketball manga to resemble photos of basketball players? Since when is any manga completely original anyways.

Kokukirin said:
I don't mind it at all. Slam Dunk is still great without those pictures.

Besides, isn't it normal to have pictures in a basketball manga to resemble photos of basketball players? Since when is any manga completely original anyways.

True, photo do help but only for references. To draw the exact same pose from a photograph defeat the purpose of becoming a good artist. Since i'm majoring as an artist/cartoonist, I've learned that copying photographs isn't the best road to becomeing a true and good artist. It's as if you haven't learned anything but to copy a piece of work and only focus on details. to learn HOW TO DRAW (w/o relying on photos or other works) and then creating the details is a much better artist.

In basket ball, there is so much movement involve that Inoue could of come up with poses on his own. He doesn't derserve to stoop so low to copy EXACT pose and image(with alternations) from another photo.

I use to copy drawing too but I soon realize that i've accomplish nothing and so I started to draw from my own imagination and from real life observations as well as learn various drawing techniques.

This is how I see it.

HK

Radiance of Shadows
Man, this really saddens the hell out of me. Inoue is such a great artist that, like you said TSC, he doesn't have to copy exactly as they are drawn. Suffice to say I haven't read Slam Dunk myself, but I have read his other basketball manga, REAL, and I do understand why this guy is so good. But to have something as so small as just simply tracing photos and not coming up with original poses himself... ugh.

ddrt

Yeah, I love how they think they have the copyright to a ****ING POSE! Everyone makes a jump shot/layup/dunk/etc. Everyone uses reference photos. On top of that He made them his own, it becomes public domain.

EDIT: I'm sorry, but has the author of that quote ever seen a basketball game? with the exception of the first picture and charles barkley's picture I've seen those moves a thousand if not a million times in any one basketball game. It could be anything, he most likely didn't trace it and he's still an amazing artist. Has anyone seen the reference video for obata? he takes many pictures from Go professionals and uses them in the manga. Death note? totally! look through the art book and then go watch his vid on his reference. The only artist I can think of who doesn't rely heavily on reference is the artist of Blade of the Immortal, Hiroaki Samura. It's a shame that the person wrote plagarism. In Definition: copying of another's work. I sure as hell didn't see charles barkley in Slam dunk... did you? *oh, and who gives a flying crap about the photographers? do you think even half of them are still taking photos for Tops trading cards? no.*

Last edited:

ddrt

True, photo do help but only for references. To draw the exact same pose from a photograph defeat the purpose of becoming a good artist. Since i'm majoring as an artist/cartoonist, I've learned that copying photographs isn't the best road to becomeing a true and good artist. It's as if you haven't learned anything but to copy a piece of work and only focus on details.
however it IS a good starting point for young artist who don't have the resources like an art teacher
to learn HOW TO DRAW (w/o relying on photos or other works) and then creating the details is a much better artist.
I'd agree with you but if you go read vagabond you'll see that he is a great artist, and I very much doubt that he copied pictures of samura... seeing as though we don't have any action photos because camera's didn't exist when musashi was alive.
In basket ball, there is so much movement involve that Inoue could of come up with poses on his own. He doesn't derserve to stoop so low to copy EXACT pose and image(with alternations) from another photo.

I use to copy drawing too but I soon realize that i've accomplish nothing and so I started to draw from my own imagination and from real life observations as well as learn various drawing techniques.

This is how I see it.
I used to copy art, and now I don't have to draw stick figures. My teachers wanted to see how I drew my comics and I showed them from start to finish a single page and they couldn't figure it out. There is a whole world out there filled with different people and to speak as if there is one singular path to the destination of "artist" (whatever that is) would be a cry of war against that very goal.

TsukiMirage

Rikudou Master
I honestly don't see how this is plagiarism? If it was another person's work, Then sure, But they're just pictures. It's like two or three panels in the whole story. It's not like every single page is a guy jumping or dunking, So he can obviously draw just fine. So he decided to take it easy on a few pages, Is it all that bad?

dash142

Beginning Trainer
It's not really plagiarism, he's only copying the poses. Almost all of the people in his 'copies' look nothing like the people from the photo's anyways.

ForeverFlame

Why would someone bump a thread over three years old?

I knew something was up. I was about to make a post saying "OLD NEWS" before reading your post. I didn't even bother reading when this was posted, and I take it ddrt didn't either.

Status
Not open for further replies.