1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Takeshi Shudo's blogs [no shipping debates]

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by CyberCubed, Oct 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Banned

This topic was approved to post by the moderator Sushi. As long as things don't get out of hand let's properly discuss. Although some of you have probably read these before, I gather a lot of you haven't.

For those who don't know who Takeshi Shudo is, he is a former chief writer of the anime up until somewhere in the middle of Johto. Takeshi Shudo is the man who developed the anime version of Ash/Misty/Brock's personalities as well as Team Rocket's. A while back Shudo made a novelization of the anime which was extra things on the anime that he couldn't fit in the series itself. This stuff has been posted on Bulbagarden and reviewed by Archaic (webmaster who speaks Japanese), over there, so this is all legit:

I am posting these here as I found them to have interesting things that I figured might interest some/most of you. Shudo's vision of the anime was very different to how it played out.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Takeshi_Shudo

And here are Takeshi Shudo's blogs, the entries were translated on a mod staff's website. Here is the thread from Bulbagarden:

http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f228/takeshi-shudos-blogs-71914/

Here is the page with the writers blogs translated into english:

http://www.freewebs.com/rocketshipper/takeshishudosblogs.htm

Also interesting to note is if you read entry 2, it explains why Shudo and the other writers made the decision to remove Misty from the anime. They basically imply she was the "least justified" main character of the show, and the only reason Pokeshipping existed is it was an attempt to make her character interesting and appeal to girls.

Here is the direct quote about how the writers felt about Misty during the Johto days:

^ I gather most of us pretty much assumed this for years, so its not really, "new information," but its nice to have confirmation directly from the staff of the anime. And finally once and for all, Misty leaving had nothing to do with the Japanese VA. I don't know how that rumor got started, but whatever. As we know Giovanni's Japanese VA died in Japan a few years ago, but had been replaced by a new actor when Best Wishes started.

Also interesting to note is they were also considering having Team Rocket leave the anime at the end of Johto, but instead kept them around. Can you imagine how different this show would be if TR really left at the end of Johto?

Also funnily enough, Shudo not being in complete control of the series is why Johto dissolved into the fillers it became. I gather the Johto saga probably would have been epic if Shudo was able to write it more similar to Kanto.

Even though Shudo unfortunately passed away a year or two ago, you can see how the writers viewed the anime at that time period. Its actually kind of interesting to see this "behind the scenes" stuff about the anime, I wish there was more of it.

2. randomspot555

randomspot555 Well-Known Member

I remember reading that the novelization identifies Oak as having two brothers. One is the Mayor of Pallet Town, and the other is the Post Master. It kind of makes you wonder if they ever thought of making more Pallet-town centered episodes if they went to the lengths of identifying members of Oak's family (or if they were planning on one of those guys to be Gary's father)

3. Haunter ゴースト

Haunter ゴースト Well-Known Member

All of this information is really interesting, like you said, having Shudo write most of Johto if it weren't for others taking control Johto could have been so much better.

Everything Shudo did is what made Pokemon great, Kanto, Mid-Johto, Movie 1-3 and the Mewtwo Special - This is when Pokemon was in it's prime, even though AG, DP and BW are still great there's no denying that back then that was the Pokemon era.

Everybody knew about Misty's departure, of course it was sad to see her go but she clearly needed to leave having lack of development, it worked for the best changing the cast and really I can see why with Johto becoming very stale full of fillers, however this worked for the best overall in the anime.

I haven't read all of this yet but im interested to see what Shudo's ideas were for the anime and how much better he could have made it.

4. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Banned

5. myriada

myriada Well-Known Member

By the way, a few more of them are translated here.

6. Haunter ゴースト

Reading the blogs now, I read this line which is SO true, which worries me about their existence in BW.

Edit:

Also, these parts are interesting.

All the people who ever wanted Ash and Misty together now have an answer why.
    I was never too bothered but it's cool to know why and I think it makes perfect sense to have Ash and Pikachu's bond stronger which has definetly worked for the best now, they're friendship bond is incredible.

It would have been great to see this scene in 2000. If this scene was ever in Pokemon 2000 it would easily have been emotional, instead of having Misty save him though, I think they should of just had Ash rescued by Lugia and nearly die once again, just to give that same effect as the first movie.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  7. JennaJayfeather

JennaJayfeather jflkdjkfgjafgaf

*sigh* My Pokeshipping dreams are more ruined than they ever were ;_; but that never stopped 4kids xDDD

8. Haunter ゴースト

Wow when you read the four blogs, you realise how badly Team Rocket have been treated.

Turns out Shudo never even wanted TR to come on screen every episode to get beaten up, he wanted them to be shown as villains, but not in the sense that they were full time idiots.

Because of this he made their role in Pokemon 2000 much bigger by giving them the chance to be protagonists and such.

I know I say this too much and the show is good even up to this point in BW, but there is absolutely no denying it had the potential to be so much better...

9. ShinyCharyZard

ShinyCharyZard Honesty=Infractions

Thankyou for sharing these with us, they were really interesting to read. It's nice to know what Team Rocket actually meant to the anime and the true story behind Misty's departure.

I must also say, the movie preview posted in the thread mentioned by myriada is pretty trippy. I actually had quite a hard time following it.. I guess it confirms that the movie was set before Pidgeotto's evolution though.. which actually kind of annoys me, since that means they just decided to leave the poor bird out of the movie. Seriously, the Pidgeotto/Pikachu clip looked pretty awesome and I would've loved to have seen it play out..

10. An00bis

An00bis Wicked Witch

Jim with his Zangoose from Team Magma.
    Jane from Team Aqua with her Seviper.

Jack and Jill from Team Galactic and their Glameow.

Jacob and Jacqueline from Team Plasma with their Purrloin.

You kind of get the idea. Even if they left there may still be a looming prescience from the regional Team as they build their plot up.

11. Marbi Z

Marbi Z Cin-Der-Race!

It safe to assume that well never see behind the scenes stuff like this ever again now that its just corporations running the anime...

12. Haunter ゴースト

And this is what depresses me about the anime.

The only behind-the-scenes stuff we could possibly ever see would be from Satoshi Tajiri and Ken Sugimori if they were to ever tell us what they originally wanted (certain) Pokemon to look like/act like ect.

13. Yeul

Yeul Green Eyed Girl

Seeing that the TRio are actually acting like villains and not idiots, it's nice to see the writers respecting Shudo's wishes instead of dumbing them down even further.

14. Nightlingbolt

Nightlingbolt AKA Nightlingbolt

All right, fine. Misty's existence in the show was apparently the least justified. I don't see how it was any less justified than Brock staying, but I'm not here to start a Misty vs Brock debate.

Looking back, we could've had some backstory about Misty having lost a Gym battle and thus, losing confidence in herself as a Gym Leader. That could've been why she left, and the goal of bettering herself as a Gym Leader would've given her departure a sense of fulfillment. Now, as a character, Misty was fine, but I will admit that besides Water Pokemon, she didn't really get any sort of storyline. Hell, she at least had something, while Brock... nothing.

15. Haunter ゴースト

Im not looking for a debate either, but I thought it was quite clear that Brock had more of a story (or development if you call it that) than Misty.

Still, let's leave it there.

16. Spidey

Spidey ?!

The anime's always been 'run by corporations'.

Stop acting like Shudo, Sugimori and the rest were starving artists trying to bring their vision to the world while the man was trying to stop them, guys.

17. Nightlingbolt

Nightlingbolt AKA Nightlingbolt

I never thought Brock's story really went anywhere, but if you saw something I didn't, more power to ya.

18. Vernikova

Vernikova Champion

I always enjoy reading behind the scenes information about shows. It really would've been nice to see Team Rocket not come up every episode but I guess it's true that they're a significant part of the anime. I really would've liked to see Team rocket out of the show just to see how they would handle the replacements if there would be any in the first place.

19. Dephender

Dephender Gizakawayusu Staff Member Moderator

He had been established as the smart guy who could explain battle technicalities to the viewers from the sidelines, which is a necessary archetype character to have in a series like this.

20. Blazing Charmander

Blazing Charmander Well-Known Member

I'm afraid that I cannot take Shudo's writings as gospel in this respect. It was plain for all to see that Misty had feelings for Ash (less so in terms of Ash for Misty although there were still obvious hints there), regardless of 4Kids' embellishing it by adding hints. I only need refer to Pokemon 2000, which clearly had Misty wrestling with her feelings for Ash as a major theme that ran throughout the movie. If Pokeshipping was never on the cards for a show like this, then why constantly add material that can easily be interpreted as one character showing interest towards another (example: Melody giving Ash a 'traditional welcome kiss' to which Misty scowls and blushes wildly. In the next scene, Melody merely being close to Ash prompts Misty to gasp and withdraw into a scowl expression once again)?

I know that Pokeshipping has been dissected and debated to death in the Shipping Community, but I felt that I had to defend it in the context of Shudo's thoughts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.