• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Taking Back Hoenn

IatosHaunted

THE GREAT RETURN
Hi, all. The idea of this fanfic was originally an RPG I did, called Apocalypse Hoenn, which did well for a while but eventually failed. I decided it would be fun to try and write it as a fanfic. The story is a bit different than in the original RPG. Also, all of the main characters in this fic are characters from the RPG, used with permission.

Individual credit:
Tobias "Toby" Maice, created by Floorman
Timothy Dagget, created by Legnak
Micheal "Mike" Palmer, created by Drinkwaterlaura
Shay Evans, created by Tokyo Oranges
Kaiser "Kai" Knott, created by myself, IatosHaunted

Also, please, PLEASE post with feedback on the story thus far. This is my first time writing a fanfic with a definite idea of the story in mind, and I have no idea if it's any good.

And now, ladies and gentlemen, the story begins.

Prolouge

May 28th, 2005

Maxie and Archie, heads of teams Magma and Aqua, steal the red and blue orbs from Mt. Pyre.

May 29th, 2005

Groudon is awakened in the caverns of the Team Magma base, and escapes.
Kyogre is awakened in Seafloor Cavern, and goes after Groudon.
The two clash in Sootopolis, resuming their age-old battle.
Hoenn’s champion, Wallace, goes to Sky Pillar, accompanied by a trainer named Brendan. Rayquaza is awakened, and flies to Sootopolis.
Rayquaza ends the battle between Kyogre and Groudon, who return to slumber deep within the caves of Hoenn. Rayquaza returns to Spear Pillar.

June 2nd, 2005

Archie and Maxie return to Mt. Pyre, returning the sacred orbs. Hoenn is seemingly at peace once more.

August 21th, 2005

Hoenn’s terrain becomes inexplicably disrupted. Violent storms begin occurring at sea, and the tide around the mainland experiences a sudden rise of between 15 and 20 feet. The mainland is seized by violent tremors and earthquakes. Mt. Chimney begins erupting frequently, and Lavaridge is evacuated.

August 29th, 2005

A massive earthquake occurs at Mt. Pyre. The surrounding water is disrupted, sending large tidal waves crashing down on the surrounding routes. Lilycove is completely ravaged. Over 100 people die, and many more are injured.
As quakes and storms ravage the mainland, evacuation attempts begin, but many are hindered by the disasters, ever-increasing in frequency and destructive power. Gym leaders are relieved of normal duties to assist the evacuation and protection of Hoenn’s citizens. Due to the seeming safety of the islands of the region, Brawly, Juan, Liza and Tate are sent to the mainland as well, to aid in the effort.
Ever Grande is established as the central refugee camp.

September 3rd, 2005

A tsunami completely engulfs Fortree. 300 are confirmed dead, including Winona. All other citizens are badly injured, and many die shortly after. Luckily, the water flows down the mountains towards Mt. Pyre bay, and no other cities are hit.
Meteor Falls begins caving in. Trainers within are evacuated by Norman. Norman does not make it out, and is reported dead by the evacuees.

September 4th, 2005

Littleroot is ravaged by a large quake. Luckily, all citizens have been evacuated. Contact is lost with Brawly, overseeing the evacuation of Oldale.
The elite 4, Brendan(the newly-crowned champion), and former champion Wallace are called forth to aid in the evacuation. Contact with Steven is attempted as well, but fails. He is presumed to have died in Meteor Falls, where he was last reportedly seen.
Fallarbor is siezed by a massive fissure in the earth, claiming over half of the small town's homes and lives.

September 9th, 2005

Rustboro is overtaken by a series of massive waves rising upon it from the cliffs. Communication with Roxanne and Brendan, stationed there at the time, are lost. Rustboro’s situation is unknown, and Roxanne and Brendan are reported missing in action.

September 12th, 2005

Evacuations of the mainland are complete. Refugees head to Ever Grande and the other islands. Wattson is MIA, and Pheobe reported dead, in the evacuation of Mauville.
The battle Frontier is established as a temporary refugee camp, due to overpopulation by refugees.

September 17th, 2005

Due to overpopulation of the islands, towns are created on two of Hoenn’s uninhabited islands. These towns are to be named Newflint City and Vistian Town.

November 2nd, 2005

Newflint and Vistian are completed, and settlement by mainland refugees begins.
Quakes and storms continue on the mainland, the entirety of which is declared unsafe.

March 26th, 2006

After a long political debate, Hoenn is split into two regions. The mainland keeps the name Hoenn, and the islands become the region of New Hoenn.

February 7th, 2011

Five years after the abandonment of Hoenn, the disasters are reported to have ended. The waters around the mainland become peaceful once more, and the earths seizures come to an end.

April 19th, 2011

New Hoenn’s government makes a decision on how to handle the resettlement of Hoenn. Teams consisting of construction personnel and Pokemon trainers will be sent out before any settlers. The job of the workers is to rebuild the towns and cities as quickly as possible. The trainers are to travel the region, pioneering and surveying it in preparation for the rest of the population. Very few trainers are willing to do this, due to the fear that still runs deep within the veins of the citizens of New Hoenn. Besides the remaining gym leaders and elite 4 members, most of the trainers who sign up for this undertaking are young and ambitious, full of blind promise, unknowing of what awaits them. They will lead the natives of Hoenn back to their homeland.

They will also lead themselves to their destinies.

Last edited:

RoflLuxRay

Pokemon Physiologist
Hello....

Intereresting. And I think I've seen this before here (that or i'm having quite a deja-vu), just as a side note.

Hoenn ravaged by a series of disasters... I like the idea. Killing indiscriminately people and Gym leaders alike... ooh... I like it. Listing events as a prologue is something original, really places the reader on the context of the story.

... Mt. Chimeny...

It is Mt. Chimney, a mistake that jumped into my eyes.

I will not assume anything on the plot, I will let you surprise me.

Thanks for your time, I look forward to the next update

IatosHaunted

THE GREAT RETURN
Hey, thanks for the feedback! You might have seen the story when I posted the RPG, it was only a couple months ago. And thanks for the spelling check, lol. ^^

black_cat96

Fire Breather
Oooh... That sounds cool. The prolouge was really good. I didn't see anymistakes... Can't wait for he first chapter!

Dawn_Hero

Written Insanity~
I have to say, this idea is rather intriguing, depending on how you go with it. I don't have much to say about the plot so far other than that it has amazing potential. I'll make sure to check back once chapter one is posted to see if it's as good as I think it may be. :3

Grammatically-

Groudon is awakened in the caverns of the Team Magma base, and escapes.
Kyogre is awakened in Seafloor Cavern, and goes after Groudon.
Both commas are unnecessary- those alone could not constitute a sentence. Know what I mean? :D

I also feel like I saw a typo somewhere other than Mt. Chimney, but I can't find it. I'm sure someone else will. ^^;; Sorry.

Either way, good job so far. I'll stay alert for chapter one!

chanseychansey77

Elite Trainer
The reviewers above me are right, it is intriguing. Think it might be a bit more interesting if they were more of journal entries, showing what the events mean to somebody instead of simply stating them. They wouldn't have to be long, either.

BlazikenBlitz

Blaziken Ninja
Well, I personally love the prolouge, and I'll be looking forward to Chapter 1 more than I liked to post in the RPG. I'll be surprised on how you control my character.

IatosHaunted

THE GREAT RETURN
The reviewers above me are right, it is intriguing. Think it might be a bit more interesting if they were more of journal entries, showing what the events mean to somebody instead of simply stating them. They wouldn't have to be long, either.

Don't worry, the chapters aren't going to be the same as the prolouge. The chapters are going to be a combination of journal and third-person.

Mei

This is a very interesting idea. I'll be looking forward to the first chapter.

One grammar nitpick:
IatosHaunted said:
The battle Frontier is established as a temporary refugee camp, due to overpopulation by refugees.

Battle should be capitalized.

Dewgongtears

The original...
Really nice prologue. I enjoyed the format of it because of it's difference. I'm also a total sucker for the involvement of legendaries and gym leaders. Definitely will stick around to read the upcoming chapters.

Akua WaterDragonKing

Fire Gymleader
Wow! It's even better then RP prologue Iatos! I can't make for Chapter one! :D

IatosHaunted

THE GREAT RETURN
Just so everyone knows, first chapter will be up soon! I have five characters to introduce, and want to do them all justice, so it's taking a little while between school and life.