• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Tales From The PokeDex

Sid87

I love shiny pokemon
Tales From The PokéDex

Chapter 1

Ian Barth smelled the smoke, thick and pungent enough as it was to pull him from his sleep. His first thought was that his wife had left her straightener on and it had ignited one of their bathroom towels since she was always so concerned about that. Ian couldn’t count the number of times his wife called him while she was at work, frantic that she had left the straightener on. He would stomp his way to their master bathroom and check the device, and every single time it was already off. Still, the fact that she had never actually left it on did not stop her from fretting about it at least once a week, causing him to have to step away from his desk to reassure her. So when he smelled the smoke, instantly his mind went to that damnable straightener; he was positive that she would one day leave it on just to show him that she wasn’t crazy.

He opened his eyes, but the world around him was fuzzy and out of focus. There was a colorful flickering, but aside from that, all he saw was blackness hanging in the air around him. He shook his head to try to straighten out his vision, but just moving it caused a vicegrip of pain on his brain. He moaned as he reached up to rub his head as if he could massage the agony out; the inside of his skull felt tight and warm, and his eyesight refused to focus on the world around him.

He coughed; the invasive smoke was filling his lungs and his body was rebelling against it as best it could. Ian knew he needed to get out of bed and put out the fire before it engulfed the home. He leaned forward, but almost instantly bumped into something hard. It was not a painful impact, but the shock of hitting something where there should have been only air above his mattress sent him reeling back to a lying position. He removed his hand from his temple and searched the area before him, and his hand found the same object his chest had just moments before. It was some kind of hard plastic, and as his hand roamed around, it found an edge where the plastic gave way to some sort of fabric.

Memories started to ooze back to him, fighting their way through the fog in his mind. He was not at home in bed, no… he had left to go on a sales call that morning. He had said goodbye to Tiffany and left before she went to work so that he could catch his flight out of Slateport Airport, so there was no way it was her straightener he was smelling. He wracked his brain to fill in the rest, and while doing so, he attempted to roll to his side only to find he was somehow strapped down. He felt the metal head of a seatbelt resting against his abdomen, and the reality of his last memories crashed hard into him. He remembered arriving at the airport, and the man in front of him at security who couldn’t figure out how to get his shoes off in a prompt fashion. He recalled getting on the plane and rolling his eyes at the safety demonstration he had seen a hundred times in his life on his sales trips. Then he was in the air, but there was turbulence, worse than he had ever felt before. They hit an airpocket and fell several feet, bringing the pilot onto the speaker system to give instructions, and then… he had a hint of a physical memory of his head colliding with the seatback in front of him. Then there was just darkness before the smoke roused him.

As awareness returned to him, so did his vision. Smoke was filling the now upside-down cabin of his Rustboro Air flight, and sunlight was peeking through a large in the cabin not far from his seat. He looked around and saw several other passengers strewn about the interior of the plane; some were still belted to their seats, and others were loose in the aisle, but all of them were covered in blood and motionless. He gripped the head of the seatbelt with his right hand and attempted to move his left to help unfasten it, but doing so only caused him to scream in agony as if some fierce creature had bitten down on his left arm.

He looked over at his limb and recoiled at the sight of a jagged forearm bone protruding through his skin. He was barely able to turn his head in time to stop from vomiting all over the injury. His sick was tinged with blood from inside him, but the sight of it seemed also to empower him. He fought the fastener with his one capable hand and finally defeated it. Without the belt securing him, he toppled to his right as gravity pulled him not to the floor, but against the window next to his seat. His left arm and its exposed bone smacked an armrest as he tripped, and Ian was unable to stifle a violent scream at the impact. Using all the strength he could muster in his unhurt arm, he pushed himself upright and surveyed the cabin.

The hole smashed through the side of the plane was allowing the deadly smoke to billow out, but it was also giving the flames around him access to oxygen. Ian knew he had to follow the soot’s lead and get out of the plane if he was to survive the next few minutes. He nudged the passenger next to him—a young man who had spent the entire flight with earphones in, even as the flight attendant insisted that all devices be powered off—in an attempt to rescue at least one other, but the young man’s head flopped heavily towards him. Vacant, bloody eyes showed Ian no signs of life.

Shocked to his core by the sight, Ian was unable to choke down another bout of sickness and lost his retch all over the cracked window. He fought against the smoke to swallow a few deep breaths to regain his composure before he pulled himself with his one good arm over the seat in front of him to get closer to the hole. He turned to the gray-haired lady seated in front of him to try to rouse her, but the baseball-sized chunk of metal lodged in her neck alerted him that he would just be wasting his time. He lowered his head and shook it, but he knew he did not have time to grieve for these other travelers before the fire and smoke got to him. He used his good arm to pull his shirt collar over his nose and mouth and continued climbing towards the escape.

By the time he made it to the hole through which he could climb, he had not found a single other passenger that had survived the crash. The tears welling in his eyes made it hard to see as he fought through the smoke that was also racing out to the world. It made visibility outside the hole impossible, and as Ian used his right arm to pull himself through, he only hoped to find fire trucks or ambulances or reporters… anybody gathered outside the tragedy who could get help.

He tumbled out of the plane, doing his best to shield his left arm against his body, and was surprised to find his landing to be both soft and extraordinarily warm. The fierceness of the day’s sun fought against his eyes, and his forehead was sweating like it was a spigot by the time his vision adjusted. The sky was a cloudless blue framing a malevolently bright sun. The scenery around him was little more than rolling orange hills of sand. Ian’s body momentarily forgot to breathe as realization crept in—the plane had gone down over the VerdanMau Desert.

Ian screamed out for help until his throat would offer up only coughing, but the desert was silent in return. He turned back to the plane and looked up at the hole; it was several feet up the smooth exterior of the plane, and with his broken arm, there was no way he could climb back inside and retrieve any water or food. He called to anyone inside the plane who may have survived the crash like he had, but there was no reply. As the cabin filled with fire and smoke, it seemed unlikely anyone inside who had not already escaped would be able to do so.

The thought of the spreading fire stuck with him. Ian had no idea how long he’d been crashed before he woke up, but what if the fire was about to spread to the fuel tanks? The plane wreckage could be a time bomb, and he was sitting just inches from it. He struggled to his feet and plodded away through the sand; his legs were sore—he had definitely injured his right knee, at least—but they were at least in better shape than his arm, and he managed to amble several minutes away from the crash site before he stopped. The plane had not blown up yet, but he had no way to know the inevitability of such an event. Not only was the plane itself a possible threat, but if no one was aware that it went down where it did, help might never be on the way. Ian knew it was a long shot, but he determined his best chance was to start walking and hope to come across some kind of settlement or other sign of humanity.

The desert scenery was indecipherable to Ian. Every slopping dune may as well have been identical as far as he could tell. The only standout feature seemed to be a quartet of cacti off in the distance, near the top of one slope of sand. Using them as his only landmark, Ian turned and began walking away from the crash. As he pushed forward, he checked back every few minutes to gauge the cacti and ensure he was walking in as much of a straight line as was possible. He had no idea how long it took, but after quite a while, he passed over a large dune, and the plane and the cacti were gone. He had only his trail in the sand left to try to keep himself going straight ahead. The sun was far too powerful for him to study its position in the sky—not that he trusted himself to be able to do such a thing; he was a traveling sales rep, not an astronomer—and its merciless assault on the exposed skin on his forearms and the top of his head was proving it to be much more foe than friend.

It seemed at first like a mercy when the sun set over a distant dune several hours into the day and the winds picked up in its absence. At first, they were a gift from heaven as they cooled the desert air and provided some relief for his overheated body, but as their tenacity increased, they began whipping the desert sand through the air. Before the clouds of sand completely obscured Ian’s vision, he saw the fervent winds pushing and reshaping the desert mounds themselves, and it was all Ian could do to protect his eyes and the gaping wound on his arm. He knew the last thing he needed was to get an infection there. Ian’s body was ravaged by the sandstorm, and with no visibility left at all, he knew he needed to surrender for the night. He dropped to his knees and dug at the sand as hard as he could with his working arm. Progress was slow; it seemed like as much sand as he could push aside was almost instantly replaced by the storm. The muscles in his arm burned in anger as he pushed sand harder and faster in a desperate race to get away from the storm until he finally dug out a spot his body might fit into. He pulled off his t-shirt, wrapped it around the exposed bone and gouge in his forearm, and rolled into the ditch.

Spending the night in a self-dug ditch and covered in a comforter of sand was not quite the same as the room he had booked at the Winstrate Hotel in Sootopolis City for that evening, but there was a little part of his brain that wouldn’t let him forget that it was certainly better than burning up in plane wreckage. He rolled around in the sand in the futility of trying to find comfort, and spent the night hoping he would have a chance to see Tiffany again.

By the time the sun rose and the sounds of wind had died down, Ian had no idea how much he had actually slept. He had awakened several times throughout the night either in virulent pain because he rolled onto his broken arm or because the howling wind made it impossible to sleep. But given that it was daylight again, he knew he had to dig out and continue trying to find safety rather than try to get more rest.

He poked out of his makeshift bed and tried to get his sense of direction. The sandstorm had obliterated whatever tracks he may have made the day before. He started glancing around in the hopes of getting a sense of where he had been going, and that was when he saw them.

The four cacti were there. Not only had he not made it away from them, but if anything, they were several yards closer than they were the day before. Ian cursed himself for having gotten lost in the blazing sun and subsequent sandstorm. He thought himself a fool for having ended where he started, but it was then that he realized the crashed plane was nowhere to be found. His head darted about trying to find a sign of it, but there was none. Had it exploded? Had the sandstorm swallowed it up? How could it be gone if he had wandered back to where he came from?

Ian shook his head and wondered if it wasn’t the likely concussion playing tricks on him. He must have seen a different quartet of cacti the previous day, and these ones, similar as they seemed, were just a new set he had passed the previous evening when he couldn’t see anything. Whatever the reason for their presence, it was all a distraction. Without shelter and water, he was as good as dead. Cacti or no.

He gingerly removed the wrapped shirt from around his arm and pulled it back over his exposed torso. The arm looked worse than yesterday; the skin around the wound was turning an eggplant shade, and the exposed bone looked like it had been rubbed with sandpaper after the windstorm. He lightly touched it with his good hand and found that most of the feeling in it was gone; he knew that was not at all the blessing that it seemed. Every hour he spent in the desert diminished whatever chance there was left that he could save his limb. As with the day before, he decided to walk away from the cacti to try to keep himself in line.

As the second day passed, Ian felt his throat burning up between the lack of moisture and whatever sand he may have accidentally swallowed. His dry, swollen tongue was starting to stick to the inside of his mouth if he didn’t move it frequently, and even his eyeballs felt as if they were drying out. Each time he neared the top of a sandhill, he prayed that he would see civilization on the other side. And each time, he was crushed a little bit more when all that was there was another outreach of desert. Having learned a lesson from his first night in the desert, before the sun had set and the winds had a chance to batter him, Ian began preparing a shelter for the night. It was easier to dig without the sand whipping about, but he could feel his strength leaving him, and it still took several minutes to unearth a worthy ditch to protect him. He heard the winds pick up after he was settled in and thought about how he may never see his wife again. His body did not even have the water left to cry.

The next day, Ian barely had the will to move. He was too busy staring at the four cacti. They stood just a few dozen yards from where he had awoken. There was still no sight of the plane wreckage, and since he had begun to rest for the night before the sun went down, he knew they weren’t there the previous day. He thought he noticed one of them move slightly, but immediately wrote it off; he had always imagined that desert mirages were just something from childhood cartoons—not unlike quicksand or falling anvils—but the omnipresent cacti had convinced him otherwise. He wanted to shout at them; to let them know that he knew they were just a figment of his imagination trying to defeat his will to live, but he found he didn’t have the strength even for that.

The third day progressed much like the second, only more slowly. The pain in Ian’s right knee assaulted him with every unsteady step he made in the sand, and his dehydrated body had little strength left for another all-day push. Ian’s dry gasps scraped his battered throat. Each passing dune that showed only more outstretched desert beyond was met with less disappointment and despair and more realized expectations.

With hours to go still before the sun was fully set, Ian knew he needed to stop. The travel was taking too much out of him. He fell forward to his knees and began slowly pushing away enough sand to rest in. He promised himself he would get enough sleep that night to be fully rested for the next day so he could journey on for longer. He vowed that after a good night’s sleep, he would refuse to stop until he found signs of life.

Just a few feet behind Ian, the four cactus creatures watched him make his bed for the night. Their heads turned, and with hungry yellow eyes, communicated what they each already knew. This stranger in their home was far too weak by this point to mount any resistance. He would be theirs that night.

Ian Barth’s body was not recovered with the wreckage of Rustboro Air flight eight-thirty-two. He was never heard from again.

Cacturne: Packs of them follow travelers through the desert until the travelers can no longer move.

I got the idea to do a series of short stories based on some of the more entertaining entries in the various games' PokeDexes. This was the first such story. I'm hoping to update this at least every 2-3 weeks with a new PokeDex-inspired short story. I hope you enjoy them!

Kitt Geekazaru

Infernape Trainer
Wow, this is great! A little grusome, and I think you should've put the part about it being short stories at the beginning so I would know not to get used to this character, but otherwise it has good details and descriptions and whatnot.

Sid87

I love shiny pokemon
Wow, this is great! A little grusome, and I think you should've put the part about it being short stories at the beginning so I would know not to get used to this character, but otherwise it has good details and descriptions and whatnot.

Thanks! I had fun with it. I wanted to get the second story out today, but I'm not quite done. I did get maybe more than half of it written, though, so I'm hoping to have it done soon.

Sid87

I love shiny pokemon
Chapter 2

One of them leaves his friends and stumbles towards me with shaky, uncertain steps. I lean just enough out of my shadows to survey if anyone is taking notice as he wobbles nearer and nearer, but I see no one acknowledging him. I begin to leave the cover of darkness to present myself to him when he falls forward to his hands and knees and retches into the mud and grass. This is, of course, followed by the ambulance-pitched sound of his bawling and screaming, and I fade back into the dark.

“Mommy! My tummy made bad! Mommy!”

The last syllable of the last cry seems to last for the rest of my life as I watch a larger female rush forward, grab the beast by its hand, and yank him back to his feet.

“I told you what you happen if you rode the merry-go-round after all that funnel cake, didn’t I? Why didn’t you listen?”

“I feel bad! I wanna go home!”

“What about your friends and sister? They want to stay and have fun because they were more responsible and listened.”

“I want to go home, mommy!”

I quake in rage at the sound of their insolent argument as the mother scoops her youngling into her arms and steps back to the sea of people. It’s not even the tease of having one so close that boils within me; the shrieking wails of human young are so piercing. Even after he is too far and mixed in with the sounds of others, the howling seems to live on in my soul. Still, I was close—so close that time—and I am undeterred. The night is young and soon one will be mine.

Within moments, I’ve almost forgotten about my encounter with the banshee. Other children run about the crowd in loose groups, and the parents who seem weary of this whole venture quickly lose the patience for monitoring them as the night digs at them. The saplings dart from lit-up booth to lit-up booth, filling their tireless bellies with the disgusting substances these humans call food. When they tire of that, they swarm to either one of the giant mechanic spinning monsters or to another booth where they throw rings at bottles for large, lifeless creatures of colorful cotton. In contrast to their giddy running about, I remain motionless, cloaked in the darkness at the edge of this place next to a dark, maniacally laughing house. I have seen many children come to this house; after ensuring they all have the nerve, they pour inside and I savor their terrified screams from outside the walls. They always seem to emerge unscathed on the other end, too far for me to grab. Soon enough, though…

In my youth—back in my bunch—the elders would occasionally talk of places like this. Some called them carnivals, and others, fairs. They spoke of how mature humans would bring packs of their younglings and let them bound about unwatched. It was almost effortless, they told us, to take one unnoticed. Our elders claimed they would be long gone with the brats before the grown ones would even realize it was gone.

We laughed, the rest of us; it all sounded so fantastic. A place where human children were all but offered up to us? Impossible! We chalked it up to the whimsical ravings of the elderly; fairy tales about wish fulfillment and dreams of youth and… it just could not be.

I was not even sure it was real when I spied it in the distance this evening as dusk took the sun away. The cranky mechanical monsters spinning the children wildly and the soberingly pungent odor of overgreased food and the sounds—oh, the sounds!—the screaming and laughing and crying of free-range children as they ran about in a mass of confusion. It was exactly as the elders had painted it when I was a hatchling. So many years of considering the old sages to be fools, and it was I who was being shown as the real fool after all this time. Their Shangri-La was before me! Just as they described it.

I settled into the edge of this carnival when night finally claimed the sun for its own, and here I have waited ever since. The laughing house continues its attempts to vex me by swallowing up the babes, torturing them, and then merely releasing them back into the wild. I try to communicate with it to see if it will share its secrets, but it offers nothing in return. Its lifestyle baffles me, and I do wonder if it is perhaps a psychic creature that feeds off of the mental anguish it inflicts, but has no use for the physical bodies of its prey. What I require of these saplings is certainly of more substance, regardless. And while there is a bit of jealousy that this monstrosity sits in plain sight while the children enter of their own free will, I don’t let it consume me. Even if the house ignores me and torments me, the night is still young and soon my prey will find me. We’ll see then if the cackling house thinks that is so funny, too.

This fair is hypnotic in its own right. The flashing lights of the tiny stands and thrashing limbs of the spinning beasts are somehow engrossing and lulling. Perhaps that is why the full-growns bring their saplings here; the rhythm of this place dulls their weak, human minds and corrupts them with its own influence. How else could you explain their being so callous towards feeding their children to the large, steel monsters?

I am so caught up in marveling at this event that I almost miss it—a youngling, barely out of the egg. He waddles over on unsteady feet to stare at the crowing house. I lean down and slowly examine the area. This child has wandered off away from its pack and has no protection. The house begins with its mesmeric laughter again, but no. I won’t let you have this one, creature! This one is mine!

I lazily drift out from the shadow to present myself, my appendages dangling low and limp, so as to appear harmless to the hatchling child. For a while, his large, discus eyes don’t leave the house, but I will not let it have such susceptible prey. I start swaying my body more widely, hoping to catch the babe’s eye.

His head turns tauntingly slowly to me, and the corners of his lips curl up. His grainy human hands rise up to his chest to meet each other before one extends out to point at me. I cautiously let my gaze float scout for his keeper, but no one yet is taking notice of this fool. Secure in my subtlety, I poke further out and watch the child’s eyes soak me in. His hands begin opening and closing on the own at the sight of me.

If I’m to be honest, it’s not just the boy that is eager. I’ve never actually taken a sacrifice before today. It’s a shameful thing for one of my kind, I know, but never before has an opportunity so joyously presented itself. I’ve learned since I was hatched that this is what we are meant for—to take these delicate morsels home and sacrifice them to please our lord Giratina—but I myself have never tithed before. I am aquiver with anticipation to please my god as the youngling takes his first step towards me.

“Boon!” He cries, now fully believing that I am his for the taking. Yes, young one; come fetch your ‘boon’. I am waiting for you.

He comes to me as swiftly as his stubby, awkward legs will carry him. I leave my limbs dangling for him to grasp, knowing that he has little idea what will become of him once we seize each other…

“My boon!” he declares to the world as he grasps my hand. His is sticky and hot and wet and yet somehow wonderful all at once, and I feel excitement building inside of me. I only know Giratina from the pictures in our books, but in my mind, I can see Him smiling at me. I bob my head down to stare at the boy; he is giggling up at me, in such a fit of glee that his eyes are closed. He won’t even get to see what happens next.

I pull upward with all of my strength to lift the babe off of muddy, mortal ground of this carnival! I tug for all I am worth to pull him into the night sky and begin our voyage to my den! I yank at his arm, already imagining draining the life out of his filthy husk and sending his young, virile spirit to Giratina’s realm, where my lord will…

Hm.

No matter how much I pull, tug, or yank, the child moves not. He remains planted on the grass, still laughing and finding great joy in my efforts to lift him away. Every time I jerk at him, his laughter only increases.

“Boon fun!”

I am not fun! I am the instrument of your demise! You will never see these other humans again! Your spirit will nourish my dark deity! Does that sound like fun to you?

I shake my head and steady myself. I’m clearly just too excited and too eager and am not using all my power. Or I’m underestimating the hatchling. I just have to focus is all. The child thinks this is all a game, and suspects nothing. There is still time—

“Hayden, there you are! You had mummy so scared!”

I turn in shock at the approaching voice, and there is little mistaking what I see; the woman with the close-cut black hair is speaking to my prey. Within seconds she will be here to vanquish me—to save her offspring—and I know I must away with this boy! I pull and strive upwards again; the hatchling bounces slightly and claps his hands, but that is all. We do not become airborne. Accursed child, how much deep-fried food did you eat? Come into the night with me!

“I told you to stay close to mummy, Hayden. You’ve got to not run off like that.”

“Mummy, boon!”

“Yes, I see that you found a balloon, baby. Did a clown give you that? Where did you get it? Did you take it from someone?”

“Boon fun, mummy!”

For the moment, I am safe. The woman and child still only see me as a harmless fair balloon. Therein lies my safety; I will merely bide my time until this youngling forgets about me and moves on. Soon he will want the garbage food or to visit the evil house or to ride on the metal giants, and he will surely release me. Then I can search out smaller and less substantial prey.

“I bet it is fun. You’re going to lose it if you hold it like that, though.” The woman confuses me by grabbing both of my arms. “Let’s tie it to your wrist so it doesn’t fly away.”

No! Confound you, woman, do not anchor me to this beast! Leave my arms be! You stop this! I will not have it! I again try to soar away from this child and back into the night sky, cursing my bunch. The elders were bastards and liars! These fairs are traps! Brothers! Brothers, don’t fall for this like I have!

“Boy, they sure put a lot of helium in this one, huh, Hayden? It’s bouncing all over the place. I think you got it now, though.”

My insides run cold at her words—so much so that I even lose a bit of altitude—and I look down; my meek limbs are knotted together around the child’s wrist. The child continues to laugh, and then begins shaking his arm with great vigor. My head bounces in the air violently with the alternating slack and tautness of my limbs, and were I capable of such a vulgarity, I would be the next to sick up at this fair. The boy’s other arm is tightly gripped to his mother, who is showing no inclination of letting him out of her sight again. My strength ebbs with the beating the child’s playfulness is inflicting. I came to this fool’s paradise to find a youngling to take back to my den. Fate has cruelly turned, and now I shall be returning to theirs, instead. Knowing what I know about my plans for the boy, I can only dread what their plans for me are.

Lord Giratina, hear my prayer: just please don’t let them have ceiling fans.

Drifloon: It tugs on the hands of children to steal them away. However, it gets pulled around instead.

Last edited:

Sike Saner

Peace to the Mountain
Oh my gosh. That drifloon? Was priceless. :D I'd forgotten how much fun it can be to read from the perspective of such a scenery-chewer. First-person was the right choice there, I think.

Kudos for the cacturne entry as well. There was some great, gory imagery in there, even with exactly how the cacturne disposed of him left to the imagination.

Sid87

I love shiny pokemon
Oh my gosh. That drifloon? Was priceless. :D I'd forgotten how much fun it can be to read from the perspective of such a scenery-chewer. First-person was the right choice there, I think.

Kudos for the cacturne entry as well. There was some great, gory imagery in there, even with exactly how the cacturne disposed of him left to the imagination.

Thanks! I have a few more of these in mind, but I've just been SO busy lately. I'll try to get another one out in a few weeks. :)