1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Tales of... Thread

Discussion in 'Other Video Game Discussion' started by Eternal Darkness, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Eternal Darkness

Eternal Darkness Eternal Evil

[IMG139]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/51/Tales_Logos.png[/IMG139]​

I saw how people were talking about Tales of the Abyss in the 3DS thread, so there's probably enough to go on for a full length discussion.

Anyway, I finally got my copy of ToTA(Along with a nice letter from the shipper) in the mail yesterday, and got to the first town. Overall, I'm liking what I see so far, but I know I have a really long way to go.

2. Hydrohs

Hydrohs 安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。 Staff Member Super Mod

Liar!

It'll be good to move all of our discussion here, since there's a few of us who are all playing through Abyss right now.

I'm likewise enjoying Abyss so far. The characters are all really interesting, I've missed the interesting conversations that come up in Tales games.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  3. blaze boy

blaze boy Aka SamuraiDon

I currently own 3 tales of games, Symphonia, Abyss, Phantasia, I am also planing to get all of the tales game ever released.

I kinda have to say that I love the Tales of Series.

4. Hydrohs

Symphonia is my favourite game, I only ever borrowed it from a friend though. For the past few years I've been trying to find one that's reasonably priced, but I doubt that'll happen.

I need to learn Japanese at some point too in order to play the games that were never localized.

5. blaze boy

blaze boy Aka SamuraiDon

I actually luck out when I got my copy of Tales of Symphonia. I found it pre-owned in my game store, of course it didn't have a instructions manual in it and I was also temped to take it back, good thing I didn't.

At the time I didn't know just how rare the Tales of games was.

I have been planning to do that as well.

6. Jb

Jb Tsun in the streets

I'm not even sure if I'll enjoy Symphonia. I'm way to use to free run. I demand a 3DS port with added free run, I mean everyone else in your party could do it. I'm sick of the DLC costumes but that's a whole different story.

Oh, and Yuri is clearly the bet main character.

7. Hydrohs

I barely use Free Run, it's not that big a deal. There's never a real need for it.

8. There is when there's chaos with magic artes exploding everywhere.

9. Hydrohs

Just get stronger. I try to always overlevel in JRPGs.

10. ParaChomp

ParaChomp be your own guru

Thank you.
    I snapped my DS Lite in half. Hope you feel better
    I'll admit, it was my first trip into the Tales series which I picked up since my friends were hyped about it (and eventually more disappointed than me) and I adored my first two playthroughs. My friend nagged me enough to buy to original off eBay (for a nice $30, shipping included) and I have to say, bar the Free Run system and the usefulness of befriendable monsters (which don't equate to much), the original blows the spin-off out of the water by a lot in every other aspect. Also, Lloyd looked like a star in the spin-off.

Love this RPG series, still haven't beat Abyss yet (and still prefer Symphonia to it). What's with me fighting with the black haired girl cloaked in purple in both titles?

11. Hydrohs

I hated having monsters as party members, it doesn't compare to real characters at all.

I just wanted Regal and Raine back ;-;

I hated a lot of DotNW, most notably that they couldn't get Lloyd's voice actor back (I wont blame that on the devs though, I'm not sure if his VA refused or they didn't try), monster party members and that Lloyd never stood up for himself. None of it felt right to me.

12. arceus7

arceus7 Arcane Of The Wild

Or when the Demon Angel she ***** ffom hell goes terminator on your ***.

13. ParaChomp

Agreed but they could learn spells and level up. That and the fact that Pokemon is my favourite RPG series of all time. In all other cases, I agree with you, it's not suitable for the Tales series at all.
    Me and my friend didn't mind Raine's new actress that much and found she put on a stronger performance than her voice actress in the original but opinions are opinions and the new cast overall can't compete to the old cast. If I ever see Crispin Freeman at an anime convention, I'll ask him...even though Symphonia is from a while back. Oh well, you win some, you lose some. You think Tara Strong would ever be at a convention? Then again, with My Little Pony's popularity in mind, it's inevitable. "Sign Tales of Symphonia and Kid Icarus Uprising, please."
    I don't know either. Oh well, did you know they sort of brought back Teen Titans?

As for convincing me to buy other systems for the other titles in the Tales series, I only see the need to buy Nintendo systems since there are so many more games exclusive to their systems that catch my attention and/or appeal to me compared to the exclusives of other systems. When I say so many more, I mean a ratio of about 5:1.

Speaking of Tales, and my 3rd favourite anime...
    [IMG200]http://www.gamerinjapan.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/keroro-598x334.jpg[/IMG200]
    [IMG200]http://howlongtobeat.com/gameimages/pa.171967.1.jpg[/IMG200]

14. Hydrohs

The other VAs who changed did a good job replicating the voices from the original, it's really hard to tell (You'd probably be able to if you heard them side by side but having not played Symphonia for a couple years I couldn't tell the difference.), but Lloyd's is quite different.

15. Tyranitarquake

Tyranitarquake HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAX!!!

Never played a single game in this series. I'm hoping TotA will be my first, if I find a damn copy.

16. ParaChomp

I could tell that they were different first time. Apparently Troy Baker apologized for replacing Crispin Freeman.

Enough negativity, back to positive Tales talk! Which I don't have much to say about Abyss since I'm not even halfway done. Time for some Tales of the Abyss...after I get that 3 Star rank in Mario Kart 7, stupid Rainbow Road!

17. Hydrohs

Who does everyone use in Abyss for their team? I've been sticking with Luke, Guy, Jade and Tear. However I'm not sure if Natalia would make a better Healer. I just got to a point where I temporarily don't have Tear, so I'm going to be giving Natalia a shot.

18. ParaChomp

I play as Anise with Jade, Luke, and Tear as my back up.

19. Jb

Jb Tsun in the streets

Except for some iffy voice acting and chessy short story there is nothing wrong with DotNW. Actually, the only thing wrong with it are the people who were expecting it to be better than the first game game(understandable). That being said, as far as the battle system goes, it was one of the best, it's based of Abyss battle system and runs more fluid. Also the real time motion capture for cutscenes are a big plus and the remixed music is also good. Lack of a World Map and and reused towns and dungeons kinda brings it down along with the short story(by Tales standards). All that being said, you can look past the first game this is a very solid jrpg. I wouldn't of minded some more original playble characters or aleast Richter(who is better than Kratos. Come at me.) instead of the nerfed Symphonia cast.

20. Hydrohs

Anise is way too annoying a character for me to pay any attention to. Luke is still incredibly annoying too, I'm hoping he has his moment real soon.

As it stands Guy and Jade are my favourite characters.

If I hadn't of played Symphonia I'm sure I would have enjoyed it.

JUDGEMENT!

Speaking of Kratos, I've been keeping up with the Symphonia OVA and as it turns out (SPOILER WARNING FOR A 9 YEAR OLD GAME) Zelos betraying you is the canonical path.