• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Tales of... Thread

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Except for some iffy voice acting and chessy short story there is nothing wrong with DotNW. Actually, the only thing wrong with it are the people who were expecting it to be better than the first game game(understandable). That being said, as far as the battle system goes, it was one of the best, it's based of Abyss battle system and runs more fluid. Also the real time motion capture for cutscenes are a big plus and the remixed music is also good. Lack of a World Map and and reused towns and dungeons kinda brings it down along with the short story(by Tales standards). All that being said, you can look past the first game this is a very solid jrpg. I wouldn't of minded some more original playble characters or aleast Richter(who is better than Kratos. Come at me.) instead of the nerfed Symphonia cast.
I just sort of said that! Who cares about Kratos? RichterXXXEmil yaoi fan art for all!
Anise is way too annoying a character for me to pay any attention to. Luke is still incredibly annoying too, I'm hoping he has his moment real soon.
I know, my friends wouldn't stop complaining about this but that's why I love these characters. Luke is a jerk whose arrogance makes me laugh. Anise is a cute girl whose childishness makes me giggle.
As it stands Guy and Jade are my favourite characters.
It's weird, in both Symphonia and Abyss, I play as my favourite characters in battle and am good with them. Finally, Sheena's not always dying because I'm kicking arse as her!
Speaking of Kratos, I've been keeping up with the Symphonia OVA and as it turns out (SPOILER WARNING FOR A 9 YEAR OLD GAME) Zelos betraying you is the canonical path.
Still need to finish the Symphonia OVA...after Tekkaman Blade....and Medabots. I'll also try the Abyss anime once I finish the game. I find it hilarious that the anime is being advertised on the back of the instruction manual.

Last edited:

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I know, my friends wouldn't stop complaining about this but that's why I love these characters. Luke is a jerk whose arrogance makes me laugh. Anise is a cute girl whose childishness makes me giggle.

They just make me cringe.
Still need to finish the Symphonia OVA...after Tekkaman Blade....and Medabots. I'll also try the Abyss anime once I finish the game. I find it hilarious that the anime is being advertised on the back of the instruction manual.

The Symphonia anime is only eleven total episodes, only 9 have been released. It wouldn't take long. I highly reccomend watching the DVD/Bluray bonuses though. They're all about 6 minutes long but they're absolutely hilarious.

Also you misquoted me as jb in your post.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
They just make me cringe.
Opinions that I can understand but don't mind.
The Symphonia anime is only eleven total episodes, only 9 have been released. It wouldn't take long. I highly reccomend watching the DVD/Bluray bonuses though. They're all about 6 minutes long but they're absolutely hilarious.
Still not done? As for the omake bonuses, I'll be sure to search for them as we all know, majority of omake with have you laughing hysterically.
Also you misquoted me as jb in your post.
Fixed!

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
Never played a single game in this series. I'm hoping TotA will be my first, if I find a damn copy.

Where do you live? Because if you live in the UK you will have a hard time finding it since Namco shipped the game in small bulk and the hoarder grab the game and sell it back at high prices.

Also don't bother looking in the retail as they won't stock the game or sell it over priced.

As right now Play.com is selling a copy for £34.99.

MonkeyX

TotA was the first time I ever touched the series when I got it for 3DS the other week and it's easily one of the best RPGs I've ever played.

I definitely need to get in to this series now, but because of the systems I have my only options are Symphonia and Vesperia.

ForeverFlame

TotA was the first time I ever touched the series when I got it for 3DS the other week and it's easily one of the best RPGs I've ever played.

I definitely need to get in to this series now, but because of the systems I have my only options are Symphonia and Vesperia.

Solid choices. Abyss, Symphonia, and Vesperia are my top 3 Tales games, though I haven't played Innocence, Graces, or Xillia (all of them are apparently really good games too).

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Zelos betraying you is not the canonical path. The anime changes way too many things it makes it feel like an alternate interpretation. So yes, Zelos sticks with you.

Also, my TotA party rotates frequently, but I like Guy, Anise, Jade, and Tear.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod

I can vouch for Symphonia, and based on everything I've heard Vesperia is really good too. I'll be buying a 360 just for Vesperia eventually.

Tear has the best Judgement. =D

Tear can use Judgement...?

Solid choices. Abyss, Symphonia, and Vesperia are my top 3 Tales games, though I haven't played Innocence, Graces, or Xillia (all of them are apparently really good games too).

You'll have a chance to play Graces soon enough, and hopefully Xillia as well.

Or is it Raine? I don't know. Favourite Tales characters? I already said mine earlier.

Raine can't use Judgement.

I couldn't pick a single favourite character. Basically the entire cast of Symphonia, but Regal most of all, I suppose.

Zelos betraying you is not the canonical path. The anime changes way too many things it makes it feel like an alternate interpretation. So yes, Zelos sticks with you.

Also, my TotA party rotates frequently, but I like Guy, Anise, Jade, and Tear.

It really doesn't change that many things, it goes quickly and skips or blends a lot, as it needs to, but it's pretty accurate. They chose Zelos as the betrayer, that means something. It's not like they made up some random character for it, they followed the game there.

Last edited:

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Sorry, but you've been spoiled on that. However, hers will become completely forgotten since, as it turns out, you get that at the end of a sidequest that occurs when you get you get to her home for the first time and the ends near the end of the game. That much I can say.

Being spoiled on a move like that isn't such a big deal. Major plot spoilers is what I try to avoid.

Eternal Darkness

Eternal Evil

I'm not listening~

Anywho, I really need to spend more time playing ToTA and stop watching shows that are somehow taking up more of my time.

Of course, it doesn't help I don't get home till 6.

arceus7

Arcane Of The Wild
Jesus Christ^

After getting to 85 hours on the game I need to go get the rest of the Elusive titles for this playthrough ( cant get the cooking ones yet) Still so rife with so many side quests left to do...and gald grinding >_< I put it on hard mode to get beserker, so I've been in Mt Roneal Nam Cobanada and Cheagle Woods for that (grade collecting
and gald grinding)

40 more hours of that and I should be able to buy the dragon killer >_> Ill sell it on my second playthrough at (during war since you get fillthy stinking rich especially if you wear that Kitty Cat costume Anise has) chessedonia or at Grand Chokmah.

I really like Jade( I thought he was going to be persnickety boy was I wrong worng XD, Luke is alright too

On that note I have to say I liked Anise right off the bat XD.

Likewise I didnt like Natalia at all XD.

By the end though Ive come to like every character though.

For my Party I Generally Use Luke Jade Tear Anise/Guy. When I found out about stealing I put Guy in my party but the NPC sucks at using his Mystic Arte.

I went to Colosseum and I rediscovered Anise's incredible usefulness , her Mystic arte is awesome, she hits hard, very hard and she's just generally fun to play as so I switch them out often.

If your going to use anise I recommend this set up ( I need more Carmines! I dont even have any chambers on her...)
Buttons
Shadow Punishment
Soaring Blast
Cyclone Shot
Surge Breaker(Stealing Galore)

Touch Screen
Dragon Surge/Shadow Raid(FOF)
Mighty Charge/Lucky
Bloody Howling
Miracle Hammer

She will annihilate everything ( I usually put the sephira on guy and the dice on Jade)

That said any of you know where I can find a blue dice?

I really dont mind when I get into surprise counters since every single character in this game has their usefulness. Natalia however isnt a heavy hitter like the others, her mystic arte isnt as good as the others but she still is quite competent XD Not to mention I left her in the Star of Malkuth costume XD

Oh Do you guys know where all the unlisted search points are? You need to find those to get Adventurous Princess title ( lets you find more rarities from search points)

Anyway off to play dragon buster ( SO FLIPPING DIFFICULT)
Playing poker is fun now !

Has anyone seen the controversial-yet-mysterious scene that plays in Keterburg? I'm not saying WHAT scene, but you'll be really amused (or freaked out) when you see it for the first time.
Im not sure what your talking about, is it from Part 1( Before Luke Cuts his hair) Part 2( Fight Van) or Part 3(The Demon ***** murders the hell out of everyone and fight Van again)?

IF you missed some scenes and side quests I would suggest using this walkthrough their is an equipment and title list here along with all 36 search points http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/929343-tales-of-the-abyss/faqs/49386 and this( it doesnt have the namcobanda ones and a bunch of others but it has a fair share of them http://talesof.cyllya.com/toa/mhm/sidequest.html

Last edited:

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Im not sure what your talking about, is it fro-

IF you missed some scenes and side quests I would suggest using this walkthrough their is an equipment and title list here along with all 36 search points http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/929343-tales-of-the-abyss/faqs/49386 and this( it doesnt have the namcobanda ones and a bunch of others but it has a fair share of them http://talesof.cyllya.com/toa/mhm/sidequest.html

1) Be mindful that there are new people playing the game, so don't accidentally say some heavy spoilers.

2) The scene I'm talking about is MANDATORY to see to proceed through the story.

3) In case you didn't look, I already have a complete walkthrough of the game myself. It's in my sig.