• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Tales of... Thread

Evilchibi_pichu

Entertain me minions
^ I see. Then Xillia should be mostly okay for you; it's too bad you don't have time to play more past the story, though. I like the sidequests, but I haven't really managed to ever get to the cameos except in Symphonia. I have to admit, it's a bit surprising you play Tales for the story since I felt Tales' best feature was their battle systems. What's your favorite Tales story?

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
^ I see. Then Xillia should be mostly okay for you; it's too bad you don't have time to play more past the story, though. I like the sidequests, but I haven't really managed to ever get to the cameos except in Symphonia. I have to admit, it's a bit surprising you play Tales for the story since I felt Tales' best feature was their battle systems. What's your favorite Tales story?

I liked Symphonia best, by far. Graces F was also a very pleasant surprise, I really enjoyed it.

The battle systems are just a means to experience the story for me. In no way do I not enjoy them, mind you, but I play RPGs more like they're an interactive story. And in most RPGs that's really where a lot of the focus is, on the characters and on the story. If you characters and story are weak but your gameplay is good then you don't really have an RPG, it's more just an action game.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
I never play Tales for the story, that's because the stories are not really interesting tbh. Abyss and Phantasia currently have the best stories imo. Vesperia's is okay, so it Eternia's, Rebirth's, and Destiny's.

I play Tales for the battle system and character interaction/development.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I never play Tales for the story, that's because the stories are not really interesting tbh. Abyss and Phantasia currently have the best stories imo. Vesperia's is okay, so it Eternia's, Rebirth's, and Destiny's.

I play Tales for the battle system and character interaction/development.

The character interaction is really what the story is. There's an overarching purpose, why the characters are doing what they're doing, but for the most part it's just them talking to each other and becoming more fleshed out.

Flame Haze SnS

Yin-Yang
Just started on Tales of Vesperia (few minutes anyway). I have a question. Is it 'safe' to download the DLC (those that are free) for ToV as early as possible? As in not to mess up the achievements or whatever.

Evilchibi_pichu

Entertain me minions
I liked Symphonia best, by far. Graces F was also a very pleasant surprise, I really enjoyed it.

The battle systems are just a means to experience the story for me. In no way do I not enjoy them, mind you, but I play RPGs more like they're an interactive story. And in most RPGs that's really where a lot of the focus is, on the characters and on the story. If you characters and story are weak but your gameplay is good then you don't really have an RPG, it's more just an action game.

Sweet. Symphonia is also one of my favorites. But, it is my first, so it's going to be hard to top.

Ahh, I see. You make very good points. I would have agree that an RPG is only one when you have characters and a story. I'm similar to Jb in that, I don't pay too much attention to Tales story as much as the characters and battle system. Tales stories rarely got my attention. But, then again, it's been a while since I played one in English....

My copy of Symphonia arrived in the mail today.

Let do this,

Have fun. Try not to think about DotNW (too much) lest it ruin your fun.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
I'm 40 hours into the game about to head into Flanore(Sp?) and I can clearly see why this game is better than the second.
Indeed...bar the free run when you're cornered, the chibi characters, and the voiced cut-scenes.

So, what's your main party? Also, when you go and stay at Flanoir before the big battle if you say no to everyone who knocks upon your door, you will DRASTICALLY change the story (along with kicking the spin-off in the nards).

Was that insightful and lacked spoilers?

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Indeed...bar the free run when you're cornered, the chibi characters, and the voiced cut-scenes.

So, what's your main party? Also, when you go and stay at Flanoir before the big battle if you say no to everyone who knocks upon your door, you will DRASTICALLY change the story (along with kicking the spin-off in the nards).

It's good to play through twice to experience both branches in the story. I personally prefer talking to no one, but only barely.

Evilchibi_pichu

Entertain me minions

This I would like to know. I always talk to someone to make sure that... alternative doesn't happen. Also, since it's your first playthrough, I'm guessing your soulmate is Collette? Or are you actively trying to get another?

Jb

Tsun in the streets

I kinda spoiled myself on the big change a few years ago actually. I'm probably going to make a second save at this point. As for my main party, Lloyd, Raine, Genis and Zelos.

Zelos is pretty fabulous.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
This I would like to know. I always talk to someone to make sure that... alternative doesn't happen. Also, since it's your first playthrough, I'm guessing your soulmate is Collette? Or are you actively trying to get another?
No, you're not forced to get Collette as the partner you share the closest bond with on your first play through however you usually have more opportunities to bond with her as opposed to any other character. There's also the fact that the game simulates the close relationship between her and Lloyd giving giving you an instinct to be nice towards her.

As opposed to you taking a walk with whoever knocks on the door, Kratos sneaks in through the window and you take a walk out with him.

Later, as opposed to facing two angels when chasing down Yggdrasil, Zelos betrays you. You end up killing him and have Kratos as his replacement (as the magical knight in your party).

I kinda spoiled myself on the big change a few years ago actually. I'm probably going to make a second save at this point. As for my main party, Lloyd, Raine, Genis and Zelos.

Best victory line is with Zelos and Sheena when he hits on her.

Speaking of Symphonia, they're finally finishing the OVA!

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod

That's close to my party of choice, except in place of Zelos I use Regal. Because Regal is the man.

Speaking of Symphonia, they're finally finishing the OVA!

They always have been. Each episode comes out every few months. Only two episodes to go. Although Formula Subs' site, the only group that had been subbing them, has disappeared.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
So I have been interested in this series for a while and I was just wondering what game I should start with.

Any one, really. The only two that are direct sequels are Tales of Symphonia and Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World. There are others, but one or both haven't been localized.