1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Talking pokemon

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by DoubleWide, Aug 10, 2019.

1. DoubleWide

DoubleWide New Member

Since having a Pokemon talking in human language would be incredibly helpful, why don't others teach one of theirs to speak? Since it does take a lot of energy to do so, surely there are a few Pokemon who are not good battlers that could be trained to do so. Unless it is nearly impossible to do.

kantoskies likes this.
  2. Ignition

Ignition Buttwitch needs more appreciation

Pokèmon that talk are meant to be used for exposition/clarifying plot devices and to make them stand out. The reason they’re not as common is because there’s an established main antagonist (Meowth) who can do it in every episode if need be.

Other instances are used in movies due to the focus being much more on new Pokèmon (Slowking) or powerful (telepathic Legendaries) and TRio get relatively less screentime as there’s a much more threatening villan so the audience sees less of Meowth

shoz999, MockingJ and mehmeh1 like this.
  3. TheWanderingMist

TheWanderingMist Daikuro, Keeper Of The Gates Ambitious

Because that would bring up way too many ethical questions. I mean, the reason Meowth talked originally was because Shudo planned on having the Pokemon revolt against Trainers by the end of the anime. And of the first 5 movies, the only ones talking that didn't really make sense were Slowking and Lugia. Mewtwo was created by humans and Entei was created by the Unown. Celebi couldn't talk, and neither could the Eon twins from what I recall. Nowadays, it just serves to make TRio's Meowth unique and let the humans communicate with the starring Legendary.

kantoskies likes this.
  4. Leonhart

Leonhart The Lying King

I think it's supposed to be incredibly difficult for Pokemon to learn how to speak non-telepathically, and frankly I don't think we even need more talking Pokemon since Nyasu is enough.

MockingJ and kantoskies like this.
  5. Spider-Phoenix

Spider-Phoenix Go, Go Power Rangers

I'll give you Slowking but... Lugia? Considering even legendaries/mythicals like Shaymin could communicate via telepathy, Lugia can easily be explained the same way. Specially because it's half Psychic-type.

kantoskies likes this.
  6. TheWanderingMist

TheWanderingMist Daikuro, Keeper Of The Gates Ambitious

I'm going to point out neither Celebi nor the Latis from Heroes could talk, despite also both being Psychic type. At least, I'm pretty sure they couldn't.

7. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army Staff Member

I think some Pokémon are just born with the gift to talk like a human without telepathy. Sure we’ve got the Slowking and Meowth as the best examples of the phenomenon but there is also the Maiden’s Peak Gastly that moved its mouth clearly when speaking. Chatot is limited to talking because it’s still a parrot and parrots generally don’t hold conversations but it still counts. Manaphy showed great potential to talking like a human given the fact it learned to say “Mama” and “Love you!” very clearly. I’m sure a lot more Pokémon could be capable of say a few words but their desire to learn to speak clearly and willpower must be strong enough for it to happen.

Spider-Phoenix likes this.
  8. kantoskies

kantoskies Member

It seems like mostly Psychic type Pokemon can talk and most of them do so telepathically. There are exceptions obviously, like Meowth and Lapras and a few other Pokemon, but Psychic types talking makes a lot of sense.

MockingJ likes this.
  9. ash&charizardfan

ash&charizardfan Humanity's greatest soldier

I think talking pokemon are supposed to be shown as special pokemon compared to normal ones since anime has already shown many shiny ones, so that option is gone so to make a pokemon unique talking concept is brought, no matter how stupid it sounds.

10. Leonhart

Leonhart The Lying King

I forgot that a Laplace was also able to speak with its mind back in early OS. That seemed like another instance of the writers just taking creative liberty, which they often did back then more than they do now.

11. Captain Jigglypuff

Hoopa seems to be another Pokémon that has potential to talk without telepathy. It sort of moves it’s mouth when talking but not all the time. But it makes sense that Hoopa could talk like a human given it is based on the genies found in legends.

12. MockingJ

MockingJ (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ

Do we really need more talking Pokemon when Meowth is more than enough as a translator during the rare moments when having a translator is actually beneficial? I think talking Pokemon should be kept to a minimum but that's just me.

AgentKallus likes this.
  13. Captain Jigglypuff

I think Meowth should be the main talking Pokémon but it should also be okay if another one pops up for an episode or two or as the main Pokémon of a movie but the chance of it happening is very low in the anime. What I mean is I don’t have a problem if Ash and his friends ran into a wild Alakazam whose intelligence grew so much that it developed the ability to speak like a human. Same for Metagross. As long as there is a bit of an explanation and the idea isn’t exploited too much then I can’t see why Meowth should remain as the only talking Pokémon.

14. Hanto

Hanto Water Addiction

Even Rotom can talk via its Dex form, but it was made only to describe moves and types just like Brock did that til the end of DP. Rotom never was a translator to understand Ashs pokemon problems etc

15. Leonhart

Leonhart The Lying King

I sometimes forget about Rotom's ability to talk, although in Rotom's case it's only able to talk because it's possessing a device that can translate its electrical impulses into words. It was actually a very clever way of giving the SM cast a talking Pokemon.

AgentKallus and MockingJ like this.
  16. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "Where's the KISS concert at?"

Because that would bring too much logic into this thing, which is why anyone seeing a talking Meowth isn't exactly something to question for the next 12 minutes.

17. MockingJ

MockingJ (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ

And Rotom is ironically more helpful than a genuine talking Pokemon like Meowth is when it comes to giving away important information.

Kuzehiko and Leonhart like this.
  18. Leonhart

Leonhart The Lying King

He's also slightly more irritating than Nyasu though, because while Nyasu constantly talks, he usually has something interesting to say, whereas Rotom tends to babble nonsense almost as much as the one from the Sun and Moon games and it gets annoying really fast.

MockingJ likes this.
  19. Captain Jigglypuff

In the anime, I was really hoping for a snarky Dex similar to the first Poké Dex where Rotom would comment on Ash’s stupidity on occasion and refuse to give Ash answers to Pokémon problems every time he asked.

Leonhart likes this.
  20. RedJirachi

RedJirachi Veteran member

Something to be considered is Meowth took a long time to learn to talk

MockingJ likes this.