1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Tall Tales, Fish Stories, and Whoppers: a One-Shot Contest!

Discussion in 'The Authors' Café' started by Ysavvryl, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Ysavvryl

Ysavvryl Pokedex Researcher

It's the second half of April, so plenty of time to work on this. So far, this contest has three entries turned in, all in the Volcarona tier.

2. An-chan

An-chan ...Huh?

I'm possibly interested in taking part, though I'm not quite sure if I understand the prompt properly. You say it's supposed to be based on a personal experience in-game - does this mean it has to be a single occurrence, or a short sort of scene? I wasn't quite clear on that. It seemed to me like that was what you meant, and that would sort of rule out the idea I had in mind. As a wild example, if I had had a Ditto in-game that only created male eggs, no matter how many times I tried and no matter what the other Pokémon was (not counting female-only species), would that be a suitable occurrence or would it have to be more of a "my Bidoof OHKO'd the whole team of gym leader X" type thing? Sorry if it's a stupid question, somehow the rules didn't seem to be clear enough on that - you only said it had to be reproducible.

I'm also a little confused about the mechanics part, because I have no idea about game mechanics at all. Obviously I can google some of it, but I'm not entirely sure I'd even know what to google in some cases (like shinies and such). How specific did you want the explanation to be? Or how long? Just a tad confused here.

Otherwise this looks like a pretty cool competition, though I think you could have had more entries if you hadn't been quite so specific about the rules (just a heads-up if you want to run other similar contests later). I hope I can come up with something to hit the competition with!

3. Ysavvryl

Well it doesn't have to be personal experience; that's just the source that inspired the idea to me. The second part of the entry needs to be something that can be reproduced in an unaltered game, even if improbable (so the Ditto example would work, could even be funny). You can build off something an NPC says, something the in-game Pokedex claims, or a side quest. I think the prompt is fairly broad: take something 'true' in the games, and build a tall tale around that.

I don't know about the other judge, but I probably won't be number-crunching to get to the proof of things. I'd be looking in databases like Serebii and Bulbapedia (maybe even Smogon if I have to) to check for info.

4. Slipomatic

Slipomatic Eon Collector

If it helps, you could take anything that's able to be done in any of the game and write something about it. I thought about entering this contest, but decided not to. If I had, I would have written about the very unusual way you can get an egg from breeding a skitty and a wailord in the daycare. I've never done it, but it is possible to do it. You just have to take some quirky aspect of the game, or an interesting fact from the game and have fun with it. I might be slightly more picky than Ysavvryl might be, but as long as it's possible to do it in the game, then you won't have much trouble.

If you're really worried about game mechanics, stick to something a little more concrete. Since I can't really give any ideas since I'm judging, I can't help you since that would be unfair advantage. ;)

The problem of being a casual speedrunner of video games.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  5. epicninjask123

epicninjask123 LoL Lunatic

Yeah I'll join. Larvesta tier please. I wrote a few stories and could never stick to them. Since this is a one-shot that might be different, but I've never written a one-shot before...

6. Flame Mistress

Flame Mistress Well-Known Member

I really want to enter in the Larvesta Tier, but I'm not sure how to make encountering 16 Dittos in a row or being infatuated by Whitney's Miltank for 9 straight turns before KOing it with a single critical hit a funny one-shot, and those are the only two really funny moments that I can think of...

...Unless you count that time when I sprayed a Max Repel and three shinies popped up in a row (I was a bit dumb back then about how Repels worked so I just used them in Eastern Unova while my team was still in the 50s, so yeah). Hm...

7. Ysavvryl

Well, have less than a month to go and three entries turned in. And I've heard of a few still being worked on. If you're interested, there still should be time.

8. katiekitten

katiekitten The Compromise

Buried under exams and essays - but should get some time free to enter before the deadline, in the Volcarona tier :3 Been a while since I've entered something like this...!

9. Shadow Jirachi

Shadow Jirachi Well-Known Member

I think I'll enter the Larvesta tier. I've got a tall tale I'd like to share.
    Hey that kind of rhymed!

10. Ysavvryl

Due date is June 1st, so I hope to see some more of you enter!

11. Psychic

Psychic Really and truly

I'm going to try and finish something I started awhile back, but no promises.
    Also I need to change my DS date and time again so I can access what I need. I always feel weird doing that. :p

~Psychic

12. Ysavvryl

All right (yay!). I'll be looking forward to that.

I think I've got my DS set to the right time (is wondering about that now...). Not that it matters.

13. Phoopes

Phoopes There it is.

So I'm going to change my status on the contest from "entering" to "maybe." Sorry for the late notice, but I only found out today that my stepdad accidentally saved over my 98% complete story in Microsoft Word to write up a letter to the editor in the local newspaper. I'll try to see what I can get done in the next 24 hours, but with school and schoolwork, I dunno if I'll be able to get something of any real quality done. Again, sorry for the almost-sure dropout this late, but I can't help the mistakes of the people I share a computer with.

14. Ysavvryl

Ouch, that's pretty sad. I can sympathize with that. *gives hug*

As a general notice to any potential last-minute entrants, tomorrow's the official deadline, but I'll accept entries up until it's Saturday where I am (CST, midwestern US)

15. ChloboShoka

ChloboShoka Writer

Best of luck to everybody who's entering.

16. AmericanPi

AmericanPi Write on

Wow. I just barely made it, on the nick of time. I swear, it was EXACTLY 10:00 PM on May 31st here in California when I sent in the second of my two PMs. To be honest, I'm worried that something went wrong, because I rushed so much. Oh well, guess I'll just wait patiently for the results, which hopefully won't take as long as the Perspective Contest's results to come out.

17. Psychic

Psychic Really and truly

Oh dear, I thought you said Sunday, not Saturday. o_o Er, let me just see if I can throw this together before I leave the house tonight. :x

I would have done so yesterday, but I was busy making a cake shaped like a PS3 controller (alors, je suis un vrais artise). XD

~Psychic

18. Missingno. Master

Missingno. Master Poison-type Trainer

Well, good luck to anyone else entering. Particularly those who are trying to get their entries ready at the last minute.

19. Ysavvryl

Whoa, sounds like an awesome cake Psychic! Sure, I'll accept your entry.

Waiting on one other I was warned would be late, but not much longer. Slipomatic and I should have our results gathered in good time.

Aw, now I want some cake.

20. Psychic

Psychic Really and truly

Thanks, I appreciate it. I PM'd it to you a few hours before midnight my time, so it should have been fine. Kind of rushed at the end, but I'm glad I got it done. XD Will you be posting a list of who entered (and into which tier)?

(And thanks, haha, I'll have to make a thread sometime in Fan Art showing off all my nerdy desserts sometime. :>)

~Psychic