1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Talonflame Discussion Thread

Discussion in '6th Gen' started by McDanger, Nov 7, 2013.

1. cryuel

cryuel Well-Known Member

Not to necessarily address why it should or shouldn't be considered uber, but coming back to a question earlier: is it being considered by smogon at all?

2. Clone™

Clone™ Ded

N o.

cryuel likes this.
  3. Natural

Natural Well-Known Member

Also, the only way overheat is even remotely viable is in a gimmicky strategy against speacil attackers, and your better off not doing it anyway, but here it is

Overheat + power swap

I'm showing this to make a point because you would have to waste two move slots to make it viable and it's not that good of a strategy anyway

4. Clone™

Clone™ Ded

So if it's not even remotely viable, why bring it up? There's literally no point.

It's just like saying that being able to fly (as a human) would solve problems. It doesn't matter because it will never happen.

5. Natural

Natural Well-Known Member

I was further showing why overheat is not a viable option

6. fitzy909

fitzy909 Just another guy

No. It can decimate a team with ease. I would know having used it and been on the receiving end of its attacks. I just think some of its stats are a bit low for it to be Uber.

7. KillerDraco

KillerDraco The Enforcer Staff Member Super Mod

Bringing up a topic that was pretty much settled 5 months ago wasn't really showing anything.

To be fair, a lot of Pokemon can demolish unprepared teams with ease.

But Talonflame has enough counters and checks to keep it from ever going Uber. The 4x weakness to Stealth Rock strips it of half its HP for switching in, which, when combined with its best attacks having Recoil damage, really limits its longevity and the number of times it can switch in. Pokemon like Rotom-W, Heatran, Tyranitar, and almost any other rock type can wall it entirely, and Talonflame has difficulty breaking through physically bulky Pokemon like Gliscor and Hippowdon. It can screw a lot of its counters by packing Will-o-Wisp, or certain mixed sets acting as lures (which are few and far between, mostly utilizing things like HP Ground to deal with Heatran), but overall, it's unlikely to ever move up from its current tier. It's good, but it's not that good, nor is it particularly overcentralizing the way Mega Lucario was.

8. Mye

Mye Someone has to win..

Don't forget bulky electric types/paralysis in general. With speed being its one good stat, a stray t'wave or glare can make it a lot more managable.

9. Mr. Timn

Mr. Timn with an "n"!

talonflame isn't broken at all. in fact, if it wasn't for gale wings, it wouldn't even be good in ou at all. its attack stat is only 81, which isn't terribly impressive. in fact, i'd go so far as to say it's pretty weak by the standards of ou. having such a powerful priority move thanks to brave bird is a really good thing, but that just makes it a good utility mon to check random offensive things, and it doesn't make it a broken offensive threat.

10. PlatinumD3

PlatinumD3 Active Member

I used a Talonflame when I played through Y. I would trade for one after game though instead because as a Fletchinder...well...it's movepool is HORRIBLE.

11. Clone™

Clone™ Ded

If you're not using Talonflame with. Gale Wings, you're doing it wrong. In general, trying to use in game Pokémon in the world of competitive battling is a bad idea for obvious reasons.

12. KillerDraco

KillerDraco The Enforcer Staff Member Super Mod

Barring the fact that this is the competitive section and you're talking about in-game usage, although Talonflame might not have the largest movepool, it's a very precise movepool nonetheless. It has everything it needs; Brave Bird (aka the strongest priority attack in the game thanks to Gale Wings) and Flare Blitz for high powered STABs, Will-o-Wisp to cripple physical attackers, Tailwind for team support, U-Turn for momentum, Roost for recovery, Swords Dance and Bulk Up as boosting options... what more does it really need? It can run boosting, choice, bulky sets, etc. so despite a small movepool, it does have a few sets that it can utilize effectively.

13. ger9119

ger9119 Well-Known Member

Right now it feels like Talonflame is trending down, a lot of people aren't using it as much lately I'm assuming because it's a rather predictable mon and easy to counter. It still is a nice cleaner/revenge killer with Choice Band being an amazing set. Also i've been running mixed bird lately and it's pretty nice.

14. IrieFuse

IrieFuse Unify To Thrive

I agree with rotom-w running around i think talonflame usage has gone down a bit. but like you said it's still a good revenge killer and tbh if i'm not carrying a bulky water type on my team or ttar i usually don't have anything to hardwall it.

15. SirBlazikeen

SirBlazikeen Well-Known Member

My favourite set for a Talonfalme is actually a bulkier set! It works surprisingly well in VGC and still hits really hard even without investment in Attack! :D
    Gale Wings, Adamant, Charti Berry
    252 HP, 126 Def, 130 S.Def
    Brave Bird
    Flare Blitz
    Roost
    Quick Guard / Will-O-Wisp

16. ZaLe

ZaLe New Member

Talonflame with Will-o-wisp is pretty cool. Like to use it instead of tailwind or something like that.
    Btw... what are the defensive EV's for? Can u explain this split a little? :)