• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Tangela and Tropius: The Ultimate Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Benmeister

Master of Magnet
Okay, I've been pondering and researching for days over these two Pokemon. Being a Grass type fanatic it's my job to keep the peace of logic and reason between Grass types and mortals. But this is just silly.

Both Tangela and Tropius have been assigned locations in the game, the former swarms on Mt. Coronet, the latter appears in the Great Marsh. And yet, despite these seemingly world-renowned facts about the pair, I have yet to see anyone prove that any of them actually appear there.

So how on earth is it proven that they are even in the game?

In fact, I've looked through numerous archives and someone has stated that in fact, it was all based off of false information. And yet, why has it been so widely accepted? Not to mention that I don't know who the person is, and that he could be lying. But whilst there's no evidence to suggest it, the logic behind the opinion that the dynamic duo don't appear within the game is huge. I mean, there's no videos of chaining Tangela nor an encounter with Tropius.

Yet why would they not put Tangela in the game if it has a DP evolution?

Makes no sense.

I'm sure many are now likely to believe that it is true Tangela and Tropius are vacant from Diamond and Pearl. And if that is the case (which it probably is) surely this problem needs to be sorted out. On most guides on the whole internet it states that Tangela swarm on Mt. Coronet when clearly it is highly debatable. And I really don't want to hope and pray I will actually get a Tangela swarm.

...whew. I'd really like for someone to end this horrible mystery and set about ridding the world of false information, not least the Serebii Dex as a starting point.

PokeProMaster

Nike-Air-Force
To be honest i never caught either of these pokemon in D/P and i dont even think i have a tropius caught on my D/P Game.

However, according to serebii's dex (which you have probably already checked) only Tangela is available to catch in D/P. It says Tropius must be Transfered from the GBA games.

However! I do know that tangela IS available in the game because i have had a tangela swarm before, but when i get this swarm i can never be bothered to go to the top of Mt.Coronet (mainly becuz im too lazy to walk all that way!).

Pokerealm

Newest Shiny~
I never had a Tangela swarm in the 7 months I have the game...

PokeProMaster

Nike-Air-Force
Well actually, when i said I had a tangela swarm before, i may be lieing, because im not 100% sure but i am around 70% sure ive had a tangela swarm before.... I dunno why, im just pretty damn sure ive had one before....

Pokerealm

Newest Shiny~
Was it on a Japanese game?

Pokerealm

Newest Shiny~
Ok, I have a US Diamond and EU Pearl.
Never had it on both of my games..

Don't know about Tropius, never found it.

Dragonlord Kev

I just did some research. I looked in the Psydex and it said Tangela is unobtainable in the game. I think it might be that Serebii is mistaken - it makes no sense that Tangela (a Pokemon which should live in swarmpy area) can be found up the top of a freezing cold mountain. Although I don't have proof that Serebii is wrong and Psypoke is right.

http://www.psypokes.com/dex/psydex/114/location

Draknir

Fear the Deer
If you need proof of Tropius being obtainable, I can just go out and hunt for it in my Pearl, which is pretty easy to due when I am bored(A.K.A Now). I will edit this post if I find it.

-Summer-

BeatFreaks Fo Lyfe<3
I swear once I found a Tangela in Diamond, maybe im wrong. I can't realy remember becuase it was in July or something.

Dragonlord Kev

Actually I just looked in Bulbapedia and it says that Tangela swarms on Mt. Coronet. Not sure if the information is reliable but there ya go.

Proof would be nice. If you can disprove the offcial Nintendo Power Guide, you get an acknowledgement, or at least an e-cookie.
*is the using the 'proof or it never happened' rule*

I don't believe it is possible for either to be found in D/P.

Twilit Dragoon

*omnious thunderstorm*
I've never had a Tangela swarm, it is the only swarm I haven't gotten yet, I've had the other swarm Pokemon at least 5 times. I don't think there is a Tangela swarm, at least one person would have a video of Tangela.

Cutty

Forever now
The Benmeister said:
Yet why would they not put Tangela in the game if it has a DP evolution?

Makes no sense.

Not really.
Magmar, Electabuzz and Gligar are not in the game either. And we all know they have DP evolutions.

If theres no tangela swarm, means there is no. Whats all the fuzz about? Just transfer them.

Last edited:

Pachirissu!!

I gots me a Pikachu.
Well, actually, you can get Elekid and Magby with Ruby/Sapphire inserted. And Gligar I'm not sure, maybe with emerald or something.. Too lazy to check it ;)

But I also want to know, not because I love Tangela or Tropius so much, but I have never had a Tangela swarm before either, and tons of Carnivine, Drapion and Toxicroaks in the Safari game without finding a single Tropius.

Imperator_Venit

Yeah...I've had every swarm as well...except voltorbs...and Tangelas...

Also...if anyone thinks they found a tangela...check its origin page...it will clarify if you made a mistake...

SkittyOnWailord

☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣
I have an idea. The online pokedex's are taken derectly from the game's coding right? What if these pokemon were like the pokemon caught in Altering Cave from last gen?
They might have needed something to "trigger" them to aprear instead of just apearing.
This seems the most likely to me.

Nice idea skittyonwailord. I was also thinking that because they take the data from the coding that tangela and tropius must be coded to appear in the game but dont for some reason.

I have had every swarm at least 10 times except tangela which i have never seen. (I have timeshifted many many times to get a swarm to chain). ;123;

unown?

ghost freak
i nhave never seen these pokemon in the wild while playing but i have had them transfered and i can see why the programmers would do that. they make more money by having you buy the gba games to complete the dex. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.