• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Tapu Bulu! Intense Slacker Training!! (1018)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
1018.jpg

Tapu Bulu! Intense Slacker Training!!

Following his defeat against Nanu, Acerola has taken Ash to the Ruins of Abundance to receive training from the Guardian Deity, Tapu Bulu. With the travelling having many obstacles, when Ash finally gets to Tapu Bulu, it doesn't seem to care. Will Ash be able to convince it to help him train?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
OMG Rowlet learned a new move out of Tapu Bulu's magical influence! Very likely it was Razor Leaf. Never expected this TBH.

Darthlord7

The Smug Pikachu
OMG Rowlet learned a new move out of Tapu Bulu's magical influence! Very likely it was Razor Leaf. Never expected this TBH.

I think Rotom said Leaf Cutter which is the Japanese name for Razor Leaf.

EDIT: Lycanroc also learned Stone Edge. We can expect Lycanium-Z now I guess.

Last edited:

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
And Lycanroc learns Stone Edge!!! I always knew this would happen. Splintard Stormshards here we come! Where are the ones who were saying that Gladion's Lycanroc would be the one to use the Lycanroc Z-move? :D

I think Rotom said Leaf Cutter which is the Japanese name for Razor Leaf.

Ah so it's confirmed to be Razor Leaf. Nice to know that, it's a nice move upgrade to have from Leafage.

Anyway, this was a really good episode for Lycanroc's development, a near perfect one. Firstly Rowlet learns a new move out of Tapu Bulu's magical infuence(Vegetation ability to be more precise), which is a bonus. And then....Lycanroc's development was done and depicted really well with its read eyes rage issue being finally sorted out. The bonding moment was really nice with all the flashbacks of Ash recalling the past memories and adventures with Lycanroc, mostly as a Rockruff. It's issue with dirt finally got sorted out, and then Tapu Bulu, feeling touched by the bonding moment decided to have a battle with Ash and Lycanroc. The battle was really good, with it completely serving the purpose it had to: Lycanroc's development, as Lycanroc learned a new move in the battle, a.k.a., Stone Edge, with it even inflicting some damage on Tapu Bulu. Oh yeah, and Lycanroc this time didn't activate rage mode when it was thrown into the water, proving that its issue has been sorted! :D

Great episode this, with Lycanroc's development being done and depicted really well, it don't think it could've been much better. 9/10.

Last edited:

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
This episode didn't disappoint at all because of the two move changes to Ash's Pokémon and it felt good that the writers finally took more notice of Rowlet by giving it Razor Leaf (Happa Cutter). Lycanroc learning Stone Edge was also good to see as well as seeing Ash taking on berserk Lycanroc. It was also nice to see Team Rocket learn the Fairy pose from Mimikyu as a preparation for the Pikachu vs Mimikyu battle.

Rock Captain 99

Following the dreams!!
It was a great episode. Only one down side was there. Red eyes thing went nowhere. It could have lead to something important. They can still amend it in future episodes though!

DatsRight

This was a decent enough episode. Tapu Bulu's very chill personality was likeable (him having a bit of trickster mentality by pushing Lycanroc into the mud was funny too).

If I must complain it's that the way they reasoned out Lycanroc's 'rage mode' felt anti climatic. (Though I did like having new flashbacks to his Rockruff form, who I feel didn't get enough limelight.) I mean what on earth was it all about in the first place? Now it's cured we'll likely never find out. It's also glaring because it's arguably the one true bit of training we get this episode. Rowlet and Lycanroc just instinctively learn their new moves.

Mimikyu apparently already knows the Mimikium Z pose (no different to the Pikachuinium Z instance I suppose). He has been waiting for this day.

Apparently Acerola has badass climbing skills. XD

Poipole also got to do something useful by helping Rowlet out of the sandstorm.

It was a great episode. Only one down side was there. Red eyes thing went nowhere. It could have lead to something important. They can still amend it in future episodes though!

Yeah that's is kinda glaring. I mean it is something of a nod to it's 'battle stance' animation in the games but it felt like it should have led to him controlling a more relevant boost like Stomping Tantrum.

Razor Leaf is kinda the same. It's nice Rowlet got a new move whatsoever, but something like Rest or Roost would have felt more relevant to his character and behaviour.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Yes! Such a good episode! Not only did Lycanroc learn stone edge, but Rowlet got the upgrade I totally wanted but totally doubted would happen, YAY for Ash getting all the upgrades for today :)

I wish Lycanroc learned tocontrol it's red eyes instead of them just disappearing... which maybe they will come back, you never know.

Also random that Rowlet learned razor leaf though compared to other moves itcould have learned. But it worked great :) and very interesting animation for the move!

Agreed on Acerola being awesome, her cliff scaling skills are quite impressive... wonder if she's a ghost too with that floatyness? :O jk jk

Oh and I found a newlove for Poipolethis episode... like come on that thing is the cutest of babyish pokemon in the anime so far.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
A reasonably decent training episode. So Rowlet ended up learning Razor Leaf, which I'm not too convinced by since it came out of nowhere.

But happy to see that Lycanroc learned Stone Edge (though that probably means it still knows Tackle). Given that Lycanroc practiced with Tapu Bulu, and it was instrumental in getting Lycanroc to behave and learn Stone Edge, I don't think it's out of the question that it may do something similar to Tapu Koko, and exchange Nanu's Z Crystal for Lycanium Z. One thing I was disappointed by was that the Red Eye thing turned out to be nothing significant.

Overall, I give this episode 6.5/10.

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
So Rowlet learns a new move, one none of us speculated nor discussed as an option... Razor Leaf. Maybe it's a Leafage upgrade or maybe it still has it, but whatever the case, it learning this means somewhere down the line it's gonna battle again.

Stone Edge was basically the most obvious choice here, it's practically Lycanroc's real signature move (Yes, I realize Accelerock is the actual sig move). That sets up the rematch perfectly with Lycanroc likely debuting Splintered
Stormshards

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Great episode as usual! Some parts mentioning aren't the actual training itself but the more slow paced steady moments. Those moments that didn't really have to get animated, nor did the scenes really matter plot wise but it was just enjoyable watching them because of how natural it was. Little details like Ash having to grab and hold his hat in the sandstorm, when he opened his mouth, some sand got into his mouth, Rowlet falling over due to gravity, him not noticing it until it's too late, having Pikachu and Poipole rescue him, and Ash complimenting Poipole on saving Rowlet. Also when everyone was beating him at climbing, he got really fired up and competitive, only to tire himself out once he reached the top! :p That scene as well as when Ash was playing in the rain with his Pokémon looked like genuine fun you don't always get to see on screen. Of course Acerola, holding Torracat as it's napping, with Tapu Bululu and Lycanroc are watching from the comfort of shade. With the help of memories, you can tell the sheer difference in altitude between how Lycanroc was as Rockruff vs it now. Lycanroc limited itself because of its anger problem and how it getting dirty made it more reserved, maybe even somewhat uptight and Lycanroc didn't want to listen to Ash nor anyone else when it got angry regardless of whose fault caused it. Ash had to remind it through memories, the times they spent together, the hard work and effort they had to go through to get to where Rockruff evolved for him to motivate Lycanroc.

I'm gonna assume Rowlet learned Razor Leaf because of Tapu Bulu's energy it felt when it was resting on the tree. After all, Rowlet did rest comfortably on top of it so maybe it absorbed some of it's energy that helped it learn Razor Leaf. The two are pretty similar. ^^ The training itself was fine, Tapu Bulu thrashed it around and showcased it's power. Another detail I liked was the clicking of the hooves and the noises it made, sounded very bull like. Also, the anime included it's game detail which states it rings the bell on it's tail to alert others of it's presence to avoid unneeded conflicts. Lycanroc learned Stone Edge!!!

Team Rocket was given only a small scene to show that Mimikyu does want to use it's Z Move and Meowth worrying that Bewear will catch onto their scheme. Thank goodness, most unneeded scene were minimal and we were made aware of the problem, cause, and effect. As I said before, great episode!! :D

Last edited:

dman_dustin

One thing I was disappointed by was that the Red Eye thing turned out to be nothing significant.

I....really don't understand, the whole red eye thing was caused by Lycanroc being dirty and it didn't like being dirty which was resolved in this episode, in the same vein as as say Ash's Chimchar/Monferno/Infernape resolving its blaze issue in the gym battle in Volkner.

I don't understand this "Red eye turned out to be nothing" It was a thing because of Lycanroc's dislike of being dirty which was resolved by the end of the episode. It was a major flaw that was overcome, I don't know what else you were expecting, what happened is exactly what was suspected of happening. It will no longer rage out and go crazy when it gets dirty and therefore Ash has full control over Lycanroc in battle. It obviously wasn't going to shoot rainbows out of its butt as a resolution. So I'm absolutely confused as to the "red eyes meant nothing"

This isn't the first episode that we dealt with the red eyes, we know about the reasoning of the red eyes since Ash and Gladion battled. I am so confused, right now.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
I....really don't understand, the whole red eye thing was caused by Lycanroc being dirty and it didn't like being dirty which was resolved in this episode, in the same vein as as say Ash's Chimchar/Monferno/Infernape resolving its blaze issue in the gym battle in Volkner.

I don't understand this "Red eye turned out to be nothing" It was a thing because of Lycanroc's dislike of being dirty which was resolved by the end of the episode. It was a major flaw that was overcome, I don't know what else you were expecting, what happened is exactly what was suspected of happening. It will no longer rage out and go crazy when it gets dirty and therefore Ash has full control over Lycanroc in battle. It obviously wasn't going to shoot rainbows out of its butt as a resolution. So I'm absolutely confused as to the "red eyes meant nothing"

This isn't the first episode that we dealt with the red eyes, we know about the reasoning of the red eyes since Ash and Gladion battled. I am so confused, right now.

What I meant is that the Red Eye issue caused by getting dirty seemed pretty petty and insignificant overall to Lycanroc. In Infernape's case, Blaze was an ability, and was crucial to its overall fighting style, and was a major power up. In Lycanroc's case, the Red Eyes doesn't impact it power wise or in any other way, and seemed like a weird disobedience issue that seemed quite needless.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
What I meant is that the Red Eye issue caused by getting dirty seemed pretty petty and insignificant overall to Lycanroc. In Infernape's case, Blaze was an ability, and was crucial to its overall fighting style, and was a major power up. In Lycanroc's case, the Red Eyes doesn't impact it power wise or in any other way, and seemed like a weird disobedience issue that seemed quite needless.
Rockruff's altitude changed when it evolved into a Lycanroc. When it was a Rockruff, it didn't care about getting wet, dirty, whatever but once it evolved, it became an inner conflict. Just like your mindset as a kid vs to when you mature as a teenager/adult. Getting dirty was the easiest way for Lycanroc to get angry. Anger was the trigger to getting the Red Eyes and I don't think Lycanroc utilized the Red Eyes ability to its benefit since it was too busy being irritated. In no way did it hint that the Red Eyes would be a power increase, same with Midnight Form Lycanroc. If anything, the bloodthirsty nature of Midnight Form Lycanroc influences Ash's Lycanroc when it turns to Red Eyes. The disobedience issue WAS needed. If it didn't, everyone would say that evolution solves all the problems that a Pokémon had like with Sylveon. But it didn't. If anything, it masked the issue.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Um but how did Red Eyes thing didn't go anywhere? Rey Eyes rage mode only activated when Lycanroc gets drenched on smeared with mud. Later on in the battle with Tapu Bulu, Lycanroc was thrown into the water, but it didn't activate rage mode that time, showing that Lycanroc's issue with getting dirty/wet, which leads it to activate rage mode has been sorted out. So yeah, Red Eyes thing has been sorted out once and for all in this episode.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Rowlet learning Razor Leaf kinda reminded me of Metroid when Samus gets her power-ups or new abilities. It didn't get any training to obtain it.

I like how the weather plays the mood of Lycanroc. The moment it snaps out of its rage, the weather is suddenly sunny from raining.

Damn, Tapu Bulu unroots a tree and use it to block Lycanroc attacks. Lycanroc learns Stone Edge, and the animation looks similar to Serena's Pancham's.

We haven't seen any companions for 3 episodes. I think this is a record for their non appeareances in SM so far.

Decent training episode.

DatsRight

I don't think it's what caused the red eyes that's the issue but more the red eyes as a whole itself. It's not just some temper problem like Mamoswine or Dragonite who were just naturally volatile tempered characters, it seems to be Lycanroc outright losing control of it's personality in some form, like a hulking out, but the actual science behind this isn't really explained like, say, Infernape losing control due to being unable to control Blaze, or Lucario going out control due to Mega Evolution. Both of those were a power surge having affect on the Pokemon's mind, though Lycanroc it's just dirty causing red eyes and now it's out of control.

Again making Lycanroc's new attack have some connection to it might have helped, like it controlled this power surge from mastering Stomping Tantrum or something.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I guess the subliminal message here is screw Midnight Lycanroc.

r7oX5sW.jpg

Don't do drugs, people. Or else your face will end up deformed.

You can quit. Call your local doctor to arrange a meeting for a health checkup.

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
Razor Leaf looking like arrows or darts, huh....*TotallyNotAHint.jpg*

And STONE EDGE. Finally!

Ash's Rockium-Z is going to "evolve" like the Electrium-Z did....

Tapu Bulu is the best Tapu so far...

Mimikyu's gonna get ya, Pikachu!

Overall I LOVE this episode.

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
Nice episode, UlaUla arc has been good so far. Hope next episodes stay like this.