• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Tapu Bulu! Intense Slacker Training!! (1018)

Rock Captain 99

Following the dreams!!
Um but how did Red Eyes thing didn't go anywhere? Rey Eyes rage mode only activated when Lycanroc gets drenched on smeared with mud. Later on in the battle with Tapu Bulu, Lycanroc was thrown into the water, but it didn't activate rage mode that time, showing that Lycanroc's issue with getting dirty/wet, which leads it to activate rage mode has been sorted out. So yeah, Red Eyes thing has been sorted out once and for all in this episode.
That's exactly what my issue is bro! See, there are two possibilities here:

1) Lycanroc doesn't get mad when dirty now. So red eye thing is gone and this was the last time we saw it.

2) Lycanroc has learned to control his anger. He doesn't get mad when dirty, but there are other things which can bring back those red eyes back.

If it's the first case, then i must say that red eye thing has gone nowhere. It could have been something like chimchar with blaze, where the red eyes actually increases it's power or maybe like psyduck with headache, where it can use some attack only when mad. IIRC, even you thought the same thing, that it would be wonderful if this beserk mode gives some kind of power-up to lycanroc. But no, it was just getting mad becauss it was dirty losing the important battles in the process.

But if it's the second case, then writers can still do something with it. But chances are very low for this.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.

1) Lycanroc doesn't get mad when dirty now. So red eye thing is gone and this was the last time we saw it.

2) Lycanroc has learned to control his anger. He doesn't get mad when dirty, but there are other things which can bring back those red eyes back.

If it's the first case, then i must say that red eye thing has gone nowhere. It could have been something like chimchar with blaze, where the red eyes actually increases it's power or maybe like psyduck with headache, where it can use some attack only when mad. IIRC, even you thought the same thing, that it would be wonderful if this beserk mode gives some kind of power-up to lycanroc. But no, it was just getting mad becauss it was dirty losing the important battles in the process.

But if it's the second case, then writers can still do something with it. But chances are very low for this.
I like the second case better. I interpret that anger is what activates the Red Eyes... and I also feel like they could have some comical moments using it if they wanted to. I don't think they should stop using the Red Eyes. It's what makes Dusk Form Lycanroc not a complete recolor of Midday Form Lycanroc. I think Lycanroc handled his control on his anger this time but Red Eyes can be triggered in another way. Maybe Ash wil find a way to trigger the Red Eyes without resorting to angering it. Maybe the old fashion way like when Lycanroc is low on health, it'll be activated as a last resort to use the last of its energy.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
While I'm happy Rowlet learned a new move, I'm kind of worried it's Razor Leaf, because of of it's similarity to Leafage, I fear they might just replace it so Rowlet still has three moves. Although I love the animation upgrade for Razor Leaf, it looks much cooler.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
I like the second case better. I interpret that anger is what activates the Red Eyes...

I think that's definitely what the implication is supposed to be. Last episode shows Lycanroc slowly losing control until it eventually exploded.

I don't think they should stop using the Red Eyes. It's what makes Dusk Form Lycanroc not a complete recolor of Midday Form Lycanroc. I think Lycanroc handled his control on his anger this time but Red Eyes can be triggered in another way. Maybe Ash wil find a way to trigger the Red Eyes without resorting to angering it. Maybe the old fashion way like when Lycanroc is low on health, it'll be activated as a last resort to use the last of its energy.

The games state that Dusk Lycanroc has "an intense fighting spirit that underlies its calmness", so I'm gonna assume the red eyes aren't 100% gone, but it won't go into murder-kill mode anytime it activates.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
The episodes are really better without 5 useless characters doing nothing in the background/commenting on everything that happens. It'd be nice if this whole Ula'Ula arc was just them testing the waters to see if a series of just Ash and Team Rocket would work, with characters like Acerola joining the cast for awhile before leaving similar to Todd Snap from back in the day but longer and drawn out.

I love how much development Ash and the TRio have been given here, Lycanroc learning a new move, TRio learning the pose.... and Rowlet learning a new move, which won't be of use for quite awhile given we know he ain't participating in either trials coming up hopefully it at least replaced that Leafage attack.

The only thing about this arc so far that is disappointing is the lack of... you know, Team Skull? They live on this island. About a mile off from Nanu and Acerola's homes. Please don't abandon them for 20 episodes again.....

10/10

Kage-Pikachu

Definitely would rate this episode a 10/10, it was great!

I believe that since one future episode has "Lycanrock's awakening" in the title that the red eyes aren't truly gone and will serve as perhaps a powerup signifying the use of its Tough Claws Ability. That's just my guess.

I really enjoyed this episode, Tapu Bulu was a cool Pokemon and I loved how he seemed to be aware of Lycanrock's demeanor beforehand and pushed him into the rain believing that Ash would be able to calm him down. I also really liked the scene where he grew the tree in a matter of seconds and caused Rowlet to learn a new move. Razor Leaf will definitely help it out, too bad it wasn't something a little stronger but since when has a Pokemon move's base power ever mattered in the anime, lol.

I really enjoyed some of the other scenes already pointed out such as Ash climbing the cliff, Rowlet getting saved from hitting the ground by Poipole, Acerola petting a sleeping Torracat, and I really liked how Pikachu was standing between Lycanrock and Poipole trying to calm it down while also defending its scared pal. Also the scene of them playing in the rain was really cute, especially when Pikachu tackled Ash to the ground as he tried to grab his hat from Poipole.

I'm seriously hyped for the next episode, I'm really worried for Pikachu though since Mimikyu is so powerful. I hope we get a battle soon where Rowlet defeats the Totem Pokemon though, and we definitely need to see Poipole in a battle soon (it kind of reminds me of Larvitar except that Ash actually owns it).

xEryChan

Demon Child
This episode was great, I really enjoyed it.

Rowlet learning Razor Leaf came out nowhere and definitely surprised me but I’m glad it learned another move. I’m also hoping that Rowlet will be used in battle more in the future because it is very sneaky as we saw in the battle with Gumshoos and could be quite a powerhouse, if you ask me.

I really enjoyed the development Lycanroc got throughout this episode and I’m definitely eager to see it battle in the rematch with Nanu. It seems like Lycanroc overcame its berserk mode this episode mode and learned Stone Edge as a result, which gets me really excited since I’m sure Ash will getting the Lycanium Z at some point and I can’t wait for that to happen.

The music selection in this episode was great and I was so happy they used the Battle at the Summit while Ash and Lycanroc were battling Tapu Bulu. That has always been one of my favorite themes from the games.

So all in all, this episode was great and I really enjoyed it. Definitely has been my favorite episode from the Ula’ula arc so far and I can’t wait for next weeks, especially since Pikachu and Mimikyu will be battling.

KurashiDragon

Well-known Dragonite Enthusiast
I hope the red eyes comes back in some fashion. There's not much influence from Midnight Lycanroc apart from the red eyes and the mane from Ash's Lycanroc. Heck it knows accelrock but not counter. Maybe someday it'll learn counter which will inadvertently cause its red eyes to appear when it uses it. A boy can dream. Oh well. This episode was great. Rowlet learning Razor Leaf was nice. I liked the way it learned it even if it was kind of out of no where. Like does that mean rowlet can absorb energy from plant life just like Tapu Bulu can or was that just a side effect of Bulu absorbing the energy? .........eh

Lycanroc learned Stone Edge. We all knew it would happen. Still was nice to see though. Also, every serious moment can be easily solved with a flashback and then never mentioned again. I liked the moment ash and Lycanroc had in this episode but Lycanroc just getting over it as seen during the battle against Bulu makes it seem like an issue it blew way out of proportion for no real reason and maybe even a bit petty. IDK. But hey, STONE EDGE!

New random faces is always a highlight for me in any episode. Ash's face as he got serious about rock climbing got a laugh out of me.

Seeing ash play with his pokemon but a needlessly big smile on my face.

Poipole painted Bulu's face to wake it up.......... YOU FOOL YOU'VE DOOMED US ALL!

Great episode. Liked it alot overall.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll

Well I also initially thought that the red-eyes thing would be some sort of a power-up/boost for Dusk Lycanroc, but after this episode it does look quite unlikely. It's probably just a state of Lycanroc where it gets mad with anger and looses control.

DatsRight

Well another decent episode. It almost like this arc so far is a apology form the writers for the horrible one hour special they did.

While I'm among the few that didn't hate the double bill, I do wonder why it ended up scheduled that way over two of the Ula Ula episodes, they weren't even connected in plot.

Unless the writers themselves knew they were filler and wanted them over with so the audience didn't have to wait for the more noteworthy arc episodes.

Remix2

While I'm among the few that didn't hate the double bill, I do wonder why it ended up scheduled that way over two of the Ula Ula episodes, they weren't even connected in plot.

Unless the writers themselves knew they were filler and wanted them over with so the audience didn't have to wait for the more noteworthy arc episodes.

My best guess is that the writers saw that they're going against the "my hero" episode and they decided to make that week a one hour special so they can get th promotion and publicity boost to get viewers before I get overshadowed by it(spoilers it didn't work).

Of course I'm most likely wrong on that, but really what else is the reason for it to be a one hour special.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
I enjoyed this episode. The training with Tapu Bulu didn't take up as much screentime as I initially thought it would, but I liked the build up to Tapu Bulu agreeing to train Ash and Lycanroc—from its initial disinterest, to its punting Lycanroc into the mud (it's almost as if it knew that would trigger Lycanroc's Red Rage Mode), to it agreeing to work with them after Ash helped Lycanroc overcome Red Rage Mode.

Speaking of which... I enjoyed that moment between Ash and Lycanroc. It reminded me of all the times Ash broke Pikachu out of mind control with the Power of Love power of their bond in previous series (only without Ash getting electrocuted). Overall, I enjoyed Lycanroc's development in this episode.

Well I also initially thought that the red-eyes thing would be some sort of a power-up/boost for Dusk Lycanroc, but after this episode it does look quite unlikely. It's probably just a state of Lycanroc where it gets mad with anger and looses control.
I think that's exactly what Red Eyes Rage Mode was—Lycanroc getting so angry it lost control of itself, to the point where it wouldn't even obey Ash. I was never under the impression that it was a power up, as Lycanroc didn't seem to be any more powerful when it was enraged. It was just out of control.

This episode was not that great. I rather have Lycanroc learn Rock Slide then Stone Edge so it can be an evolution for Rock Throw
The move Stone Edge is required to use the Z-Move Splintered Stormshards. That's probably why the writers chose Stone Edge over another Rock type move. This heavily foreshadows, if not outright guarantees, that Ash is getting Lycanium Z at some point.

uber gon

Accept Change
I can see Lycanroc going red-eyed while using attacks. Like in the games.

Also, Tapu Bulu will probably be sad if Rowlet stopped being lazy if it evolved.

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
I think the "Awakening" is Red Eyes mode mastered.

And I stand by Rowlet's Arrowhead formation Razor Leaf meaning something important...*coughDartrixcough*

Henry's Journey

Another great entry in this Ula'Ula arc, Ash + Acerola interactions, Tapu Bulu appears, Lycanroc and Rowlet both learn new attacks, showcase of the Haina deserte and Ruins of Abudance, nice episode 10/10 the same score and SM073 and SM074.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
The last three eps make me hope that his classmates have less focus and only appear for the UB episodes. It has been so nice to just have Ash,have three episodes with cool battles and less of a focus on comedy and stupid faces

Rohanator

I reaaally don't like the Lycanroc development we ended up getting, first of all they used a fake flashback of Rockruff, WE never saw how he behaved while being muddied up by the rain, when this problem first arose with Lycanroc it was completely out of no where, and now they’re trying to remind us of the good times which never existed to begin with. This isn’t new to Pokemon, I know there was a few cases in XY for example, but that doesn’t make it any better. 2nd, I feel like it’s a bit too late to do the whole “Your appearance has changed but you’re still YOU” thing when it’s been almost a YEAR since the evolution happened and there’s only been TWO cases of Lycanroc misbehaving since then, neither of which caused any actual harm for anyone. Like, this is NOT a real problem that I, the viewer, have eagerly been waiting to see Ash overcome in order to triumph over some big obstacle. This is not a Charizard situation, don’t try and sell the climax of it to me as if it actually means something.

I hate it cause I’d really like to give props for Ash for how maturely he acted in this scene, we all know he’s a great trainer but it’s always great to actually see it. But I just… don’t care. If this is all Lycanroc’s character was then that is a huge shame, I’ll still love him him like all Ash Mons and look forward to his big battle in a couple weeks (the Tapu-Bulu fight was pretty cool too) but after this arc they better make up for wasting my time by giving Rowlet, Torracat and Poipole some great development.

Besides that I loved the ep, The idea of a legendary guardian deity straight up training Ash seems like such an obvious thing to do in this world that it’s crazy that it has never actually happened in the 20 years this show has been running, goes to show how great of an addition the Tapus are, they’re very much still legendary, but not TOO legendary, you can actually interact with them and learn from them in relatively normal scenarios, you don’t have to wait for the world to be in the brink of destruction or do some crazy rituals in order to catch a glimpse from them, they don’t need to be that pretentious to be important. Rowlet moments were great, Mimikyu knowing the moves to its own Z-move was hilarious, and I really liked Poipole actually doing something for the squad. The speed comment Ash made should be some sort of set up for a Poipole battling moment, so looking forward to that.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
I reaaally don't like the Lycanroc development we ended up getting, first of all they used a fake flashback of Rockruff, WE never saw how he behaved while being muddied up by the rain,

Except they showed Rockruff's tail being burnt in the flashback to his capture episode. He clearly didn't react there either.

when this problem first arose with Lycanroc it was completely out of no where,

Some Pokemon change when they evolve. This is a recurring concept that's been around since the early days. Heck, some Pokemon (like Piplup, if I remember that episode correctly) outright hated the idea of evolving simply because they want to stay who they are.

and now they’re trying to remind us of the good times which never existed to begin with.

What? Rockruff's been buddies with Ash since episode one.