• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

targetting the opposite sex

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
so, I'm just curious to know: what shounen manga have been done by a female author? And vice versa with a male author doing shoujo manga. The only examples I'm aware of are Hiromu Arakawa (female; Fullmetal Alchemist) and Mayumi Azuma (female; Erementar Gerad).

ForeverFlame

Katsura Hoshino, D.Gray-man.

Akira Amano, Reborn!.

CLAMP did Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle and Angelic Layer, as well as xxxHolic and Chobits (both seinen).

Almost every manga in GFantasy is done by a female mangaka, though the shonen in GFantasy is different in the fact that it's aimed at fangirls instead of fanboys. The GFantasy series I'm following are Black Butler, Yana Toboso, Pandora Hearts, Jun Mochizuki, and Nabari no Ou, Yuhki Kamatani.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
The author and artist of Girls Bravo, Mario Kaneda is a woman. Also, I question her first name, it's sounds Italian and manly.

The creator of Sekirei, Sakurako Gokurakuin, is a woman. She has even gotten a yaoi published titled Tokyo Renaikitan. Can someone explain to me this?

Women writing and drawing works where women are portrayed as objects? That's not right!

Last edited:

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
Women writing and drawing works where women are portrayed as objects? That's not right!

The Tale of Genji. 'Nuff said.

Anyway, I remembered hearing about Mario (which BTW is a proper Japanese name, though even there it's STILL usually masculine), and I can't believe I forgot to mention CLAMP in my first post (then again, like those GFantasy series you mentioned, Tsubasa Chronicle seems full of ho-yay). Interesting finds thus far, but I still have yet to hear an example of a male doing shoujo manga. There is such a thing, right?

Last edited:

swampsperts

Fight Fire with Fire
Well, Rumiko Takahashi, while her series are meant for everyone to enjoy, is a female who wrote several shonen titles, such as Ranma 1/2 and InuYasha.

I don't think I've ever heard of a man writing a shojou before though :/

ParaChomp

be your own guru
I don't think I've ever heard of a man writing a shojou before though :/
I find Ken Akamatsu has a feminine style. If it weren't for the amount of fan service in his works, I would of thought he was a woman.

ForeverFlame

The author of Kekkaishi is also a woman, as is the author of Strawberry 100%. The person who wrote the story for Hikaru no Go was a woman, though Takeshi Obata did the art. The person who wrote Shiki was a woman, but it was adapted into a manga by a man.

Kiyohiko Azuma is male, and his style is extremely shojo-like. But Azumanga Daioh and Yotsuba&! are both aimed at adult males, which is a tad creepy.

GaZsTiC

Alternating
InuYasha is a shonen written by Rumiko Takahashi -- a female.

Letter Bee, despite being very much like InuYasha and strong in shojo elements, is written by Hiroyuki Asada -- a male.

Blue Exorcist is a shonen written by Kazue Katou -- a female.

Yankee-kun And Megane-chan is a shonen written by Miki Yoshikawa -- a female

ənígmə is a shonen (relatively new to Jump so is not very well known), written by Kenji Sakaki -- a female.

Gate 7 - CLAMP's new series - is a shonen.

Last edited: