• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Teaching the Student Teacher (635)

JD

Yeah, I was pretty dissapointed with how little Jessie's contest was shown atleast she won it with Seviper all that leaves know is Mime Jr Meowth or Wobbufett. Dawn developing a new strategy with Pachirisu was a good thing also since the last time she tried a new contest strategy with it, it was a bust. Anyone else think it was kinda odd that Staraptor came out with Brocks pokemon possible trade *shot*

Corzola

Gible´s biggest fan!
Yeah okay, that episode ranged from boring to funny from time to time. Highlights were of course Dawns new combo, Piplup being teased as always and... Ash teaching the fundamental things of being a Pokemon trainer - how you throw your Pokeball.

Boring was when Brock was given the task of... showing how to FEED Pokemon. Yeah okay that is important to know that you have to feed them but a child can fill a plate and drop food in it. No need to learn that in school.

It was interesting that Jesse won a Contest but bad that we didn´t got to see more of it. We do know that she will be a serious threat in the GF (however she will not advance longer than Dawn). And then one just feel bad for Ash who only got encouraging word from Johanna. Well well, she said something important one hopes.

Torpoleon

u mean she gonna wear that dress as she wear in 1st opening with scene of buneary and piplup come out of their pokeball
Well, we don't know what the dress will be. I do want to find out, but I don't find it as something major. We should find out in Apr./May 2010.

Buneary and Pachirisu with a combo is cool. They are practically Dawn's least used Pokemon. I also liked seeing all of the gang's Pokemon out at once, although it was not for a long time.

Blaziryu

This episode was meh. Poor Piplup, being abuse by that annoying mischievous little boy. If I was Piplup, I would've thrown a Whirlpool to that little brat causing him to suffer a serious case of hydrophobia. If I was Dawn, I would've bi*** slap that kid & tell him, "Alright, you listen now you little piece of sh*t! If you don't stop abusing my Piplup, I swear on Arceus that I'm going to let all my Pokemon jump your little punk a** self".

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
That kid has a very, very bright future as an SPPf troll. :p

It's almost as if this episode was solely made as an excuse for Jessie to nab her 4th ribbon, with the main plot with Dawn being written as almost an after-thought. I'm never thrilled by ice appeals, much less practice ice appeals, but at least the animation was pretty.

V Faction

www.faction.com
I rather like how this episode mirrored the beach setting of Route 222, which should be the the route they're using to head to Lake Valor.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Yeah okay, that episode ranged from boring to funny from time to time. Highlights were of course Dawns new combo, Piplup being teased as always and... Ash teaching the fundamental things of being a Pokemon trainer - how you throw your Pokeball.

Boring was when Brock was given the task of... showing how to FEED Pokemon. Yeah okay that is important to know that you have to feed them but a child can fill a plate and drop food in it. No need to learn that in school.

It was interesting that Jesse won a Contest but bad that we didn´t got to see more of it. We do know that she will be a serious threat in the GF (however she will not advance longer than Dawn). And then one just feel bad for Ash who only got encouraging word from Johanna. Well well, she said something important one hopes.

I actually found Dawn's appeal training the most dragging part of the episode.. Actually, this entire episode moved quite slowly, if you get what I mean. I actually felt like I was wasting my time watching it. I'm not all bad bones about this episode though, the few times that it did make me chuckle was when Piplup and the boy actually were having fun together at the end. *yes the 'first strike your out' on Piplup did make me chuckle, but the moment didn't last very long..

Buneary and Pachirisu with a combo is cool. They are practically Dawn's least used Pokemon. I also liked seeing all of the gang's Pokemon out at once, although it was not for a long time.

I liked seeing that Pachirisu couldn't work with Mamoswine. Mamoswine being the backdrop for another ice combo, would've been too much. Remembering that Buneary has Ice Beam is great thinking on Dawn's part. Furthermore, now that Mamoswine and Cyndaquil are a duo, and Pachirisu and Buneary are as well. I'm willing to bet that the last combo is going to be Piplup and Togekiss. I actually also see them having some problems since, according to the title, Togekiss is a contest princess, and Piplup also has an ego.. so maybe there will be some friction. Though Piplup worked well with Buneary, so I don't know..

It's almost as if this episode was solely made as an excuse for Jessie to nab her 4th ribbon, with the main plot with Dawn being written as almost an after-thought. I'm never thrilled by ice appeals, much less practice ice appeals, but at least the animation was pretty.

I agree partly, especially on Jessies part. I'm thinking that they're partnering up Dawn's pokemon, but doing this for an entire episode would be too much. The same thing happened in DP 155, where Zoey got a ribbon. So maybe when Togekiss and Piplup get teamed up, we'll see either Jessie earning her fifth, or a cameo of Ursula.. I'm betting on Jessie though. I can't argue with you on the Ice appeals though, but with Mamoswine being an ice type, and Buneary having a limited movepool, it's unavoidable to see a ice combo.

The animation was pretty good, as expected from Iwane, but when all the pokemon came out of they're pokeballs, there were few things that looked bad. Furthermore, there was a scene where Ash & co were on the beach, along with the kids.. it just seemed as though they're were pasted on to the background, which I also found as a minor point of critique. That being said, this might just've been Iwane's worst in Sinnoh. With the good quality it had overall, is something of a compliment.

I rather like how this episode mirrored the beach setting of Route 222, which should be the the route they're using to head to Lake Valor.

That's true! I didn't realize it that way. What do you make of the gang walking along a cliff, with an island in the distance? My gut is telling me they're still going to Battle Island.. though it was explicitly said that they're travelling to the GF.. Did Johanna say anything to change their minds?

Locormus

Aside from Jessie winning a ribbon, this episode screams total filler...

This episode was remarkably a lot like DP 155... seemingly filler'ish, with a rival winning a ribbon, and Dawn thinking up a combo with two of her pokemon, with a few combinations failing at first...

Sure Jessie won a filler, but besides that Dawn got that combination with Pachirisu, and I'm hereby putting forth a motion that says that whatever Pachirisu is in is immediatly non-filler. The Beach School plot was ripped straight from a retro-filler, but they added those two plot points..

Is it coming to USA in May?

More like August..

Ludi-Cola

Drink Responsibly
Altho I would have liked a great emphasis on Jess' contest, at least she has another ribbon. I'm kinda hoping she gets a big contest focus when she goes for her 5th, esp. if they have her face off w/ Ursula for it. I think those two were made to be rivals, and the dynamic of two "divas" competing is more intriguing than when they challenge Dawn. I do like that Seviper won it, now every Rocket poke has a ribbon except for Mime Jr. and Wobbuffet (seems like a good combo for appeal and battles, given Mime's cuteness and Wobby's counteriffic DEM).
Dawn's plot had some funny bits at least. I lol'd at her scribbles, it's a nice touch when the anime has them act their age. Most 10 yr-olds are drawing super-accurately unless they are art prodigys. And the brat kid was also v. typical, sometimes kids just get in a teasing mood and are stubbon to authority. I'd give him some slack to grow out of that phase. It was a little creepy that he seemed to have an extra pair of eyebrows on his face... btwn that and mini-Ritchie these COTDs are the stuff of nightmares. o_O

Locormus

Altho I would have liked a great emphasis on Jess' contest, at least she has another ribbon. I'm kinda hoping she gets a big contest focus when she goes for her 5th, esp. if they have her face off w/ Ursula for it. I think those two were made to be rivals, and the dynamic of two "divas" competing is more intriguing than when they challenge Dawn. I do like that Seviper won it, now every Rocket poke has a ribbon except for Mime Jr. and Wobbuffet (seems like a good combo for appeal and battles, given Mime's cuteness and Wobby's counteriffic DEM).

Lets see:

Jessie #1: Dustox
Jessie #2: Yanmega
Jessie #3: Meowth
Jessie #4: Seviper
Jessie #5: The only pokemon Jessie owns that is left out is Wobbuffet.

I'm one of those that think that Carnivine and Manene aren't Jessie's own pokemon, so Wobbuffet deserves the win over them. I'd love a Jessie win over Ursula here, especially since Ursula is all about attacking full force. Wobbuffet with Counter would do much damage to Minun/Plusle or Gabite. Then Ursula can beat Jessie in the GF as a revenge kill, and beat Dawn after Dawn has beaten Zoey... *Letting Ursula lose 3 times against Dawn would make her a joke, which isn't fair.

Btw. What's up with the random usage of DEM today? I've seen it being used three times, today, in totally random posts..

It was a little creepy that he seemed to have an extra pair of eyebrows on his face... btwn that and mini-Ritchie these COTDs are the stuff of nightmares. o_O

First it was the monobrow that was scary, and now it's the quadrubrow that's freaking everybody out? Make up your minds people! Haven't you noticed that our main character has been walking around with unexplicable Z's under his eyes for thirteen years, without anyone making a deal about it? What's up with that???

Anyway, you're scared of kids? I'd hate to see how you're childhood was like.. latent and mirror phase and all.. xD (<-that's psychoanalysis talk)

Ludi-Cola

Drink Responsibly
XD I was joking there (I think you are too?). Those kids are no uglier than the Bulldozer Face Man, or the guy in Pastoria who got a paint-edit b/c it was too blantant an anime reference. I want Wobby to do the battling segment at least, but think it'd be nice if Mime Jr was in the appeals so every Rocket poke, Jess & James' alike helped reach the GF.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Well I loved how it start, with Ash and Co. walking towards the beach at sunset to meet Johanna. I loved the Kanto music that played since it went perfectly with the beach setting. Then Dawn goes and greets her mother with a warm welcome, how sweet. Funny thing is that Johanna is the one who introduces the concept of the beach school to Ash and Co. via flier, it made it seem like the school was famous for some reason. Then Ash and Co. agreed to teach the class while Johanna was at the Contest?! Lol, I thought it was funny, since although they have experience, they'd agree to spend the day with a bunch of kids. Loved to hear Hikari's theme being played since it only plays in Contests.

When we finally meet the class in the morning, it only has about five students? Kind of a small class even for the tiny ocean community. When that meaning looking kid asks them about their accomplishements, both Dawn and Ash showed off their stash of ribbons and badges, which was pretty cool. Although it only pleased the other students and not the one asking the question haha. I thought it was hilarious that the kid pulled Piplup's face, it was mean but worth the wait! We got to finally see Jessie compete in another Contest. Her Seviper appeal that started with golden lightning wings was pretty cool, sicne it showed a land Pokemon with sky attributes. Too bad we didn't get to see her real appeal not her first Contest battle, everything was too rushed :S

When we got back to the beach, Brock taught some kids about Pokemon food which is a sub catogory of Pokemon breeding. Hilarious to see that Piplup had been drawn on whilst he slept, Piplup abuse is always cute and funny. But I though Ash's lecture on Gible was a tad bit more funny, not just because Gible bit Ash again, but because it had that emotionless stare and then it looked like Ash slapped it's behind during one of those scenes. During aim practice, there was this Irish-like melody that played, it was great! Never thought I'd hear such music in the anime! Seeing Piplup getting hit on the head again was funnier still! This episode was actually pretty pleasant. Glad Dawn developed a new technique even though it took several tries to make it perfect and that Jessie won the 4th ribbon at the end of the shenanigans (and a complement from Johanna). 10/10 pretty great.

Last edited:

Locormus

XD I was joking there (I think you are too?). Those kids are no uglier than the Bulldozer Face Man, or the guy in Pastoria who got a paint-edit b/c it was too blantant an anime reference. I want Wobby to do the battling segment at least, but think it'd be nice if Mime Jr was in the appeals so every Rocket poke, Jess & James' alike helped reach the GF.

Sure I was joking xD

I was reading the Pocketto Monster Phantom Ruler Z thread a while back, and somebody showed a picture of a close up of Ash's cheeks.. you're post reminded me of the weird anime faces we've seen over the years, and the monobrow being universally shunned upon, well, everywhere except Sesamestreet. Hi there Bert!

Also, I don't hope that you had a horrible childhood, but I guess that if you grew up in animeland, it would freak you out then, or at least be marvelled at the uglyness of those kids xD

Yup, Manene needs something as well, but Wobbuffet got treated so bad after its loss.. It needs it more, besides I can see Manene leaving any time now.. It doesn't even appear as much as it did.. sad though

Ludi-Cola

Drink Responsibly
It's all good. When you think of it, many anime charas are weirdlooking. Sometimes they explain the marking (Naruto's "whiskers" are the 1st example I think of), sometimes it's just left as a design choice (Dragonball's Krillin. He has no nose at all but he's one of a handful of HUMAN Z-Warriors? Yeah ok... love the series anyway)
When I first watched animes I didn't realy pay attention tho. I was little and had fun. This was a good ep. I liked the kid drawing on Piplup as a prank, reminded me of Jigglypuff. Too bad the marker wasn't shaped liked a microphone but that's probly too old a joke by now.

Last edited:

randomspot555

I think this episode told us more about the anime's version of Pokemon Breeding than the previous 10+ years of episodes combined.

KGB13

Man of Mystery
I thought this was a pretty good filler. That little kid messing with Piplup was funny and I'm glad he learned to like pokemon in the end. Jessie winning a ribbon is always good and it was nice to see Dawn training and coming up with ideas for the GF. Overall this was a really nice episode.

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
Not a pretty bad episode. It was interesting to see Johanna again, and knowning she teaches kids in a Pokemon class. At first, I didn't realize this was the contest Jessie enters, when Johanna got a call she needs to sub for Nurse Joy in the Neighborly Contest.

When Ash and the gang taught the kids through the episode, it was pretty cool. Glad to see Thomas was able to teach Dawn whats up with her Ice Chandelier combination. But glad to see it worked out in the end.

Plus, yay for Jessie winning her 4th Ribbon! Cannot wait till her 5th one.

And at the end, aw snap, Johanna hands Dawn a box that contains her Dress for the Grand Festival. That's going to be amazing!

Last edited:

Torpoleon

This was a pretty good episode. I liked how the writers did something to showcase the beach-like area between Valor Lakefront & Sunyshore City which is present in Pokémon Diamond, Pearl & Platinum Versions! Now onto the episode.

The animation was great and was nice to see Dawn perfect a new combination for the upcoming Sinnoh Grand Festival! Thomas seemed like an interesting character. Nice to see that Jessie won her Fourth Sinnoh Region Ribbon! Now she only needs one more to qualify for the Sinnoh Grand Festival.
10/10