• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Team-Building and Hidden Power Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mello

Serial Fangirl
Seismic toss sucks except for a tank or annoyer whom have low attack.
everyone thought seismic toss was great probably because of annimations or the name itself, which is a bad way to judge.

I couldn't have said it better. I still remember how I used to watch the Pokemon Anime, I watched it before I played games, and I still remember Ash's Charizard OHKOing Pryce's Magmar with it. I was like OMG!!! BEST MOVE EVER!! (I was 8), yeah, it was very overrated. Seismic Toss does only do 100 damage every time, but it's a good option for things like Blissey who have seriously got nothing better to do while they soak up special moves or whatever. The good thing about Seismic Toss though, is that it will KO something without Lefties/Sitrus Berry/Wish/Recover/Synthesis/Healing Move of any sort in a maximum of 6 hits I think. It's a pity that you very rarely come accross something without recovering abilities.

Also, Superdude22, Quick Claw sucks even more than Seismic Toss. It only works 10% of the time. You're better off sharking your Geodude and having him learn Agility. This is a waste of time. If you want speed, my reccomendation would be Salac Berry. Stat is not boosted by Quick Claw.

anyway chance of working quick claw is 23,4% or something

It's 10%.

TheGoeb

The Goeb
I agree 100% with the legendaries. develope no skill whatsoever. ;]

DDJ2991

for some reason i tend to have up to 3 of the same type attacking moves on all my pokemon, mainly because i really hate strategic moves like calm mind and stuff, but now im getting used to it..

the main reason i use to do it cause i wanted really strong attacks on my pokemon for example:

charizard: heat wave, blast burn, fire blast, overheat

But if you have such moves, you can't do anything against things that aren't weak to fire.
The matter at hand is that because you've got so many moves that are of the same type, you don't have diversity on your pokemon, so if something comes in like a Dragon Type, you wouldn't even be able to touch it. But you would have been able to do some damage to it if you had
Rock Side or Dragon Claw for example.
Same with Houndoom. He gets Flash Fire, so you wouldn't be able to touch it. Yet if you simply had Earthquake, you'd be able to put up a fight.

But Charizard is a bad example because it can't stand up against very much at all.

crudent

You can only teach one Hidden Power TM to your pokemon.

You could buy more of it in Slateport / Pick Up in FR/LG though, if that's what you're asking.

SLIMsunil

k, im thinkin of trainin a new d/p pokemon and i want it 2 av a powerful hidden power, from 60 to 70 in power and either a fire or rock,
is there a specific way i can calculate what it will be like if i give itz EVs and stats at level 5?

runka

Charizard pwns it!
Come on,in special sweeper nobody even thought of Gardevoir???

fortressuser

umm commenting on the "no skill to use legendaries" thats a big fat lie
use these pokemon wrong and your screwed
celebi it almost hast to be perfect for it to be good
zapdose needs skill
articuno needs skill
moltess needs skill
raiku needs skill
entei needs skill

ubers are the pokemon that dont require skill to be good

ginger4prez

[Pokemon [Breeder
If my friend has a Mewtwo that I want to beat, but my team is a lower level than it what should I use? The Mewtwo's moveset is like this:
Psychic
Psych Up
Solarbeam
Recover

By the way, he isn't that great, so don't expect him to be switching out or anything.

Use a F-E-A-R that'll really rub it in

*btw fear is a rattata with endeavor, quick attack and pursuit olding a focus sash the idea is that he uses endeavor, gets 1 hp (cause of sash) and that lowers mewtwo to 1 and then use quick attack to attack first or pursuit if he switches.
if you haven't completed the game you can use starly with eandeavor and aerial ace.

How good is this Butterfree moveset?

Psychic
Safeguard
Silverwind
Sleep Powder

Here are the uses for the moves.

Psychic is high damaging and can score super effective hits on a fair few, additionally making up for Butterfree's poor flying moveset. Safeguard does good help in team support blocking status conditions such as burn. Silverwind is a useful move that occasionally raises all status. Sleep Powder combined with Butterfree's ability means it usually hits.

The only decent moves that Butterfree can learn are Sleep Powder, Psychic, Giga Drain, and Sunny Day/Solarbeam. Even so, it's completely outclassed by Gengar and other pokemon with much higher stats that learn similar moves as well. You shouldn't use Bug moves like Silver Wind because Butterfree's attack stat is beyond pathetic. Bottom line is, it's not a very useful pokemon towards the end of the game, but if you want a real challenge, go for it.

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
You shouldn't use Bug moves like Silver Wind because Butterfree's attack stat is beyond pathetic.

I think he used Silver Wind for the stat-raising effect, not the damage.
But since the stat-raising effect is so unreliable (I've tried that and out of 7 PPs, I often got none of them or just one/two has the stat-raising effect activated), it's better to use Giga Drain instead IMO.

well, what about this dragonite move set?

hyper beam
outrage
thunderbolt
ice beam

hyper beam can do a lot of damage with dragonite's massive attack. outrage is a nice strong move that can be crippling with the persim berry. thunderbolt and ice beam can be pretty painful when used together.

Overall, with you talking about hyperbeam there should be a decent replacement for it though.

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
Return with max happiness will do more power in two turns than Hyper Beam.

Return : 102 + 102 = 204
Hyper Beam : 120 + 0 (charging) = 120

Your Dragonite moveset is fine, just change Hyper Beam to Return.
I prefer this moveset though

Dragonite
Mild/Rash Nature
~Flamethrower
~Dragon Claw
~Aerial Ace
~Earthquake

FlameClaw is resisted by nothing, unlike BoltBeam which is still resisted by Shedinja, Magneton, and Lanturn :D

FlameClaw is resisted by nothing, unlike BoltBeam which is still resisted by Shedinja, Magneton, and Lanturn :D

It also helps to have physical attacks to get around pokemon such as Chansey and Hypno, so that's why moves like Aerial Ace and Earthquake are there.

lv.100

team

hey, i have a new sapphire game and i am at lilycove city and i need some help with a team i currently have lairon, combusken, and trapinch, so if this team needs some modifications please tell me.

To make modifications this soon, it would help to know what their natures are. It's better to replace them now than if they're level 60.

Status
Not open for further replies.