• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Team-Building and Hidden Power Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

lv.100

team,

okay, my trapinch (now a vibrava) nature is naive, blaziken quiet, lairon bold, and kadabra,impish, all in the level 35 range.

Last edited:
Here is my thankyous and questions

Butterfree, thankyou. Thanks for the gigadrain info - I guess it will be decent despite its poor base power and PP. I would actually like a replacement for safeguard. Butterfree's status just isn't built for it.

I would like a move replacement that would give me an advantage over an Alakazam

Dragonite. Thankyou for the physical replacement for hyperbeam. I've picked earthquake and shiny trainer. While it is true that flame claw can strike for at least normal damage bolt beam has got more type coverage.

Here is the question: what is a good nature for a dragonite?

Here is another question: which is better for my pidgeot - fly or aerial ace?

I know that pidgeot is not a very good Pokemon, but I like them

HanoiRose

NIPPON BONZAI!
For Dragonites nature, since you are using a mixed set, i'd suggest Mild or Rash.
For Pidgeot, i prefer Aerial Ace because of the higher accuracy.

Dragonite. Thankyou for the physical replacement for hyperbeam. I've picked earthquake and shiny trainer. While it is true that flame claw can strike for at least normal damage bolt beam has got more type coverage.

Dragonite gets stab on Dragon Claw, and there are many other pokemon that can use Thunderbolt/Ice Beam instead.

Here is another question: which is better for my pidgeot - fly or aerial ace?

I know that pidgeot is not a very good Pokemon, but I like them

Go with Wing Attack. It is learned leveling up, so you don't waste your valuable TM.

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
what is so great about a Curselax? Why dont people teach him Bulk Up, which is the same thing without the drop in speed. For my Battle Frontier Snorlax, just wondering if you could rate it?

Snorlax - Relaxed/Brave
Thick Fat - Leftovers
EV's in HP/SDef/Att
~Shadow Ball
~Earthquake
~
~

If your wondering who else is on my team, its Starmie and Marowak, they together already cover every possible type, except Ghost and Psychic, both beaten by Shadow Ball. Earthquake for Rock and Steel, the types resistant to Normal types. Other than that, I have no idea what to put.

Last edited:
what is so great about a Curselax? Why dont people teach him Bulk Up, which is the same thing without the drop in speed.
1. He can't learn Bulk Up.
2. The drop in speed barely matters, considering how slow he already is. With high HP, Attack, Defense (after curse), and Sp.Defense, he will be almost unstoppable.

Snorlax - Relaxed/Brave
Thick Fat - Leftovers
EV's in HP/SDef/Att
~Shadow Ball
~Earthquake
~Focus Punch
~Substitute
Body Slam + Earthquake will get more damage and type coverage than Shadow Ball. Sub+Punching is rather unnecessary on Snorlax as well, you could put Shadow Ball there to hit Ghost-types along with Yawn or Rest, or you could try Sleep-Talking.

theforgottensoldier

divide and conquer!
I'm having trouble deciding which pokemon should lead my team in the battle pyramid.Should i go with steelix(steel/ground),camerupt(fire/ground), Or try out some fast pokemon(i heard they have a better flee rate).If so what is a fast pokemon that also has few weaknesses.

Crystal Larvitar

beginning breeder
i agree with the legendaries thing. in leaf green i faced moltres and aricuno just to get some decent exp for my pokes because i don't use legends so i might as well use them to lvl up my pokes and not waste pokeballs.

Crystal Larvitar

beginning breeder
oops sorry for double post

Last edited:

Crystal Larvitar

beginning breeder
hows my team for in game use? i have 7 badges so i will also need help on whether my team is prepared for giovanni and the poke league. also i know that my team is low lvl and i plan to lvl them up as soon as i can find a quick way to do so. (im playing leaf green)
Main pokes:

snorlax: Thick Fat, Jolly, lvl 40
1.Brick Break
2.Body Slam
3.Rest
4.Sleep Talk

Rhydon: Lightning Rod, Calm, lvl 42
1.Strength
2.Rock Blast
3.Substitute
4.Horn Drill (with 1 pp up)

Marowak: Lightning Rod, Hardy, lvl 41
1.Bonemerang
2.Attract (female marowak cause most high lvl pokes in game are male)
3.Headbutt
4.Brick Break

Lapras: Water Absorb, Lax, lvl 42
1.Surf
2.Body Slam
3.Ice Beam
4.Perish song (my last resort move)

Ninetales: Flash Fire (jeez alot of my team absorbs types), Modest, lvl 34 (im workin on it.
1.Flamethrower
2.Will-O-Wisp
3.Roar
4.Toxic
notice a pattern? Tails (nickname) poisons/burns pokes then roars them out and repeats for each poke in the trainers party unless it runs into steel/grass/bug types. very effective against fire pokes cause it absorbs fire then sends it back with flamethrower.

Hitmonlee: Limber, Brave, lvl 40
1.Hi Jump Kick
2.Brick Break
3.Bulk Up
4.Strength

On the side pokes:

replacement for Hitmonlee
Raichu: Static, Adamant (thats right a physical raichu lol), lvl 36 (my replacements are low lvls)
1.Thundershock (hey you never know when you might meet something with high def.)
2.Slam (for pp less power)
3.Mega Kick (for power less pp)
4.Brick Break

replacement for Marowak for really balenced stats (atk and sp. atk are even and def and sp. def are 1 apart.

Nidoqueen: Poison Point, Quirky, lvl 33 :(
1.Attract (female obviously)
2.Body Slam
3.Brick Break
4.Fire Blast (like i said even atk and sp. atk)

Replacement for Snorlax for GREAT versatility

Wigglytuff: Cute Charm (lol all 3 replacements induce status conditions on contact) Bashful, lvl 33 :(
1.Sing
2.Water Pulse
3.Counter
4.Mega Punch (sp. atk is only 9 higher than atk and mega punch is pretty strong)

well thats it for my ridiculously long question of how good my team is. please rate it from 1-10 and tell me whats wrong with it please. oh and yes i am aware i have 3 ground types and 2 are in my main team. Ground types are my all time favorite type and i use Rydon in such a way that its weaknesses hardly matter.

Replace Snorlax's Brick Break with Earthquake. This will allow it to get more type coverage.

Unfortunately, you've already wasted your time with that Rhydon. The Calm nature is terrible because it lowers the attack stat. If you really want to use one, try go get an Adamant one, or just stick with Snorlax, who should be just as good.

Crystal Larvitar

beginning breeder
lol okay but it took me a while to get ryhorn (only encountered 2 in safari zone and only managed to catch 1). also i already used a pp up and substitute tm which are irreplaceable. also where can i get earthquake? and i was wondering, if i shouldnt use this Rhydon what replacement poke would work well in its place because im always gonna use 6 pokes in gym/elite/rival battles but i will only use 5 pokes (depending on which ones will work best for the trainers/pokes in the area) for regular battles (so doduo can be in my party for flight.)

Crystal Larvitar

beginning breeder
k i taught EQ to snorlax and i might migrate rhydon to pearl. probably after i beat the poke league with it. because if im gonna get rid of it i want its name to forever be in my game cause rhydon is like the coolest poke ever.

edit: i also got rid of hitmonlee's brick break for endure. it really saved me from needoqueens crit. that i predicted. i had 6 bulk ups and nedo's atack was halved cause of burn (my tails did it) and it kept hitting me while i set up bulk ups. then i predicted a crit. and endured to be safe. And it got a crit!

second edit: also heres a tip for anyone with a snorlax and hasn't beaten all the gyms. Snorlax works wonders in victory road no matter how low lvl he is as long as hes above lvl 35. he can keep resting and sleep talking and it really saves you trips to the poke center and market for potions.

Last edited:

Dragon trainer

Arise from the Ashes
Hey Can i get some help with my lonely Pikachu?

I'm keeping this one as my electric type as i have found some more but none with HP Grass/Ice/Water/Anything decent.

I've come up with this

Thunderbolt
Thunderwave
Brick break
Iron tail

but i dont know if it'll be good Ingame But no HP its dragon, and no breeding moves please it's preE4

Is it also possible to use Magneton without HP ICE ingame as well?

Rad3n

Banned
Never mind. I thought this was 4th gen. It can live here if it wants.

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
What would be the best nature to shoot for when hunting the Bird Trio? I currently have a Timid Zapdos and Articuno, and a Modest Moltres, but wanted to know if there are better options for in Zapdos/Moltres case, a special sweeper set, and for Articuno's case, maybe a mixed wall or special sweeper?

I don't know about Articuno and Moltres, but Zapdos should definitely have a mixed attacking moveset no matter what its nature is. It doesn't learn enough of either kind of attack to make an all-out special or all-out physical moveset.

Zapdos
-Thunderbolt
-Drill Peck
-Thunder Wave/Steel Wing/Substitute/Light Screen
-"
Essentially, those are all of its useful options. Even with the nature reduction from Timid, there isn't much better that it can do, unless you're lucky enough to have Hidden Power Ice.

azureskye

well, since this is the team rate, i figure i should use it. here's what i've got.

Kingdra-
Blizzard
Dragon Dance
Hydro Pump
Outrage

Tyranitar-
Thunderbolt
Aerial Ace
Earthquake
Crunch

Skarmory-
Spikes
Sky Attack
Metal Sound
Rock Slide

Dusklops-
Hypnosis
Dream Eater
Endure
Shadow Ball

Ariados-
Psychic
Mimic
Giga Drain
Sludge Bomb

Umbreon-;197;
Psychic
Moonlight
Dig
Iron Tail

PKMasterCesar

Need a specialized team...

My friends (about a group of 8) and I have been battling in Emerald against each other here and there. We see how well we do against each other by looking at the W/L columns. Our rules are 6v6 single battle lvl 100's. Our only rules are no deoxys form, no same pkmn, no illegal stats and no same items. One of them is undefeated (8-0) so far and it would make me very happy to not only be the first to take him down but to have a team that he could never take down.

His team consists of (in no particular order)(N/A moves are forgotten or have never seen used) :
- Kyogre
sheer cold/n/a
- Mewtwo
earthquake/shadow ball/psychic/recover
- Arcanine (M)
fire blast/flamethrower/extremespeed/ return
- Tyranitar (M)
rock slide/earthquake/crunch/n/a
- Jolteon (M)
thunder/n/a
- Dragonite (M)
dragonclaw
I have tried and tried and tried but no strategy has worked so far. I would realy lioke some help in making a team that would beat him. Or if anyone has champion-caliber teams or proven teams that could withstand just about any opposition, i would greatly appreciate it.

the best team that has come pretty close to beating him:
- Starmie (nevermeltice)
Confuse ray/surf/ice beam/recover

- Electrode (Focus band)
thunderbolt/rollout/double team/explosion

- Forretress (F) (Quick claw)
Explosion/Giga drain/ Double edge/earthquake

- alakazam (M)(twistedspoon)
Shadow ball/psychic/future sight/recover

- Blaziken (M)(Leftovers)
Blaze kick/Sky uppercut/ aerial ace/earthquake

- Snorlax (F) (Chesto Berry)