• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Team-Building and Hidden Power Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Factory Head Noland

I think a good team would be:

Manectric
Torkoal
Skarmory
Whiscash
Cacturne
Medicham

M

mlugia

spino88 said:
Back to the different ways of using pokemon (like as an annoyer, or a spong or a special sweeper), are spikers really that good? I mean the damage done by spikes isn't much, and I think a good sweeper or an annoyer would be more useful in causing damage or annoying the opponents. I think every teams hould have atleas one annoyer or a sponge. The rest can be used as various sweeper, like having Kyogre for special sweeper using water, electric and ice attacks, and a Tyrannitar as a psychical sweeper using dark, rock and ground attacks, while having Metagross a a psychical sweeper using steel, poison/ghost/rock(sludge bomb/shadow ball/rockslide) and ground (You gotta have EQ) attacks.

Spikes deal (x+1/16) damage to a pokemon per switchin, where X is the layer from 0-3. with 3 layers, you're shaving the pokemon down 1/4 of its life every single switchin, and assuming you're playing smartly, it can go something like this:

Donphan switches in
Enemy's Manetric used Tbolt! No effect!

Enemy Manetric changes to Lapras! (Lapras -25% HP)
Donphan used Quake! (uber load of damage by itself)

Donphan leaves!
Vaporeon comes in!
Lapras used Surf! Vap absorbs it!

Manetric returns for Lapras (manetric -25%)
Vaporeon used roar! Manetric leaves for ___! (___ -25%)

there's a boatload of dmg right there =/

E

eveelution

this may have already been said, but remember: take advantage of stats while making a moveset. for example, i taught my gardievor thunderbolt, psychic, and calm mind to utilize its special attack. the only psysical move i have on it is shadow punch, just for fun. granted though, it can be useful. but wiht my swellow, its special attack is awful so i like to use physical moves on it like arieal ace, return (great if it loves you), steel wing, and attract (just cause swellows a female, and attract is best on them)

Last edited by a moderator:
T

The Blaziken Master

I have Spinda and Linoone! :( Does that means I can't post my team then it's in level 100?

E

Emerald Eevee

About Legendary Pokémon. It sounds like your "in it to win it" since everyone talks about Ev's and "Special Sweepers" and stuff like that, the easy choice would be legendary pokémon. If you want to win, use the strongest! Although as for myself, I only have 1 legendary in my team, Latias. Legendary Pokémon seem like the way to go if you want to win, but I try to win with my favorites, regardless of type. This, of course, is only my opinion.

T

The Blaziken Master

The Blaziken Master said:
I have Spinda and Linoone! :( Does that means I can't post my team then it's in level 100?

I don't want to keep this unanswered!

A

Anemus

Legendary are sooo COOL. Especialy Mewtwo and Rayquaza are as legendary as they look (well, Mewtwo is not a legendary according to the story but you know what I mean). Battling with the Legends can be so much fun, but only if both players have some (you don't want to be on the wrong side of the power do you?). Anyway even Legends can be beaten (of course) even without a Legend of your own. Just make sure you have the right types on your team.

PS. Melko thanks for your kind words. I'll be keeping at it.

T

The Blaziken Master

Hello? Geodude, somebody? I do have two Normal-types in my team, isn't that allowed?

A

Anemus

Normals aren't too much right of a choise. Well all except for Slaking, Miltank and the like. They are not effective against any type, although they are unaffected by ghosts. Still, there are better replacements for most of them. E.g. why a linoon and not an Absol?

T

The Blaziken Master

I can't delete any from my team! I won't! Can't I post my team here?

Edit: No never, I don't like Absol, I hate it!

A

Anemus

Sure you can post your team, why not? We might as well be able to help you, if we can with moves etc. Your Linnone, for eaxample, could make good use of "Extreme Speed". But you really shouldn't cut us off. Maybe we could suggest something better(...?) for your team. IMO Spinda and Mightyena are bad choises. Now that Absol you hate would ba just PERFECT for that place. Still, by all means and as always, your opinion is most respected.

T

The Blaziken Master

Ok, let's make it clear to anyone:
  1. Team isn't always based on status, you just have to know how to train them right!
  2. I HATE Absol, Tropius is stronger IMO (if not find someone insteed of Absol, because I hate Absol)
  3. Spinda is one of my favorite pokémon, so it won't get out of my team, and it can learn the most Psychic moves of all exist Normal types IMO
  4. Migthyena? No, Poochyena is the first pokémon I caught, I won't realease my first pokémon.
  5. An Elite Four had Mightyena, they only have strong pokémon, and Mightyena is strong, right?
  6. It's my team, and I don't want anybody to suggest me to delete on of my pokémon from my team, escapply add someone I hate insteed
  7. Don't talk more about my team, I don't want anybody to talk about it until my team has came in level 100 (I only have Pokémon Pinball R/S at the moment, :( but I will get Ruby back)
  8. This thread isn't for team rating, find thread and disagree and agree with some pokémon there
  9. I was only asking a question since it's answered, don't talk about my team here again!
  10. I hope it's clear folks, if you've any suggetions about my team PM me, but I don't appect to delete bad pokémon, because status doesn't tell anything, pokémon can be good after all
I just wanted to make that clear, I hate Absol, and I don't want to talk about this! Now I know what pokémon are legal, so don't talk more about my team, ok?

Edit: Thanks, but can Linoone learn it without breeding? I won't get new Linoone with all it's move that has only one TM of in the game!

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Anemus

Ok... I think everyone got your point. So, from now on anything I say will NOT refer on your team. Still, I might say things you might not like. Please don't misunderstand me - they won't be just for you, I will ONLY mention them for EVERYONE as a friendly advice according to the TOPIC. I am somewhat experienced after all...
Ok, generally it's a bad idea to get an emotional obssesion with your first pokemons. Before you throw stones at me or burn me at the stake, I know EXACTLY the feeling. I felt the exact same thing on my first steps. After a long time I learned a bitter truth that's called Base Stats. These "Stats" are the base of a pokemons stats. They "reason" why a pokemon is weak or strong, in general. The highest is 255, the lowest recorded is 10 and 85 is about the average. Most of the pokemons in the begining areas of EVERY game are weak. Exceptions are the starters (With wich I am still obssesed with)
which are (more or less) average or higher on every stat. E.g. Pidgey is a classical with a most beloved (AND COOL) final form, Pidgeot. Pidgeot, being a Normal/Flying type specializes in fast and/or normal-flying attacks. They both correspond to the "Attack" stat. "Speed" is, of course, essential for that Pokemon. That poke's Base Speed is 95, which is JUST GOOD but his Attack is 80. Just so you know Raticate is faster(97) and stronger(81) and Fearow has a Speed of 100 and Attack of 90. And they both are ugly and two form Pokemons. So, don't get obssesed with your first Pokemons if you don't know what Stats are really all about. Mightyena is Dark type. Dark attacks utilize "Attack" stat. Mightyena's Base Stats (No offence Blaziken Master) are as follows:
#262/#11 - Mightyena
Type: Dark
Ability: Intimidate[Lower the opponent's attack by one stage when sent out]
Base Stats: HP: 70
Att: 90
Def: 70
Spd: 70
Sp Att: 60
Sp Def: 60
These Stats SUCK. And big time. The only good thing is its Ability (I will refer on abilities only if requested as it is a big and VERY IMPORTANT section).
Glalie (Used by that ice-user Elite woman, I think the second Elite):
#322/#172 - Glalie
Type: Ice
Ability: Inner Focus[Prevents flinching]
Base Stats: HP: 80
Att: 80
Def: 80
Spd: 80
Sp Att: 80
Sp Def: 80
Not THAT cool huh? Hell, no cool at all. It's hardly average on everything.
So, as you can see, don't think that Elites have many actually good Pokemon. Take no such thing for granted. Even Picachu and Raichu SUCK - the official Pokemon Mascot !!!!!!!! And, besides, you also need strategy to call yourself a Champion. But most importantly, you need to know your opponent. Try a tour to serebii.net's pages 'bout "Hidden Values" (Please do) and you'll see what I mean.
Wanna know COOL Pokes? Charizard, Sandslash(sort of), Ninetales, Vileplume, Dudtrio(for exp. users only), Arcanine(VERY GOOD stats-poor movepool except for Extremespeed), Alakazam(oh, YEAH!!!!!), Machamp, Tentacruel, Gyarados are only some, for the old users.
Newer ones: Sceptile, Swampert (onle one weakness!!), Ninjask(can be deadly), Shedinja(naver used one myself), Breloom (seek type coverage), Claydol, Milotic, Sharpedo, Walrein, Grumpig, Dusclops, Slaking, Gorebyss, Absol,
aggron (hard to use), Armaldo, Gardevoir, Salamence and Metagross. I will not reffer to Legends. You know why...
I think it is high time to discuss about Abilities and movepools (the moves a Pokemon can learn on their own)...

T

The Blaziken Master

Base stats are bad, my Mightyena has better stats than the base one! But say that in my future thread, ok?

M

mlugia

Base stats are Wild pokemon Stats at Lv 50 at Max IVs. In other words, a Max stat Mightyena has

HP: 344
Att: 279
Def: 239
Spd: 239
Sp Att: 219
Sp Def: 219

This is the Max Lv 100 stats at a Neutral Personality and Max IVs and 252 EVs in each stat. Obviously you CANT get 252 Evs in each stat, so subtract 63 from each stat and then factor the EVs afterwards, which is like, what, stupidly bad?

And when he said the average base would be around 80-85, the max stat translation is 259-269 (for all NON HP stats) and 364-374 (for HP), and take a GOOD look at how many of Mightyena's stats around even around par.

Also, to poster before BM: Dark runs off the SPECIAL attack, not the attack, making Mightyena that much worse compared to something like Houndoom.

And to refute a few of your points, Blaziken duder:

1. Team isn't always based on status, you just have to know how to train them right!
That's not true. Train 6 Magikarp right and good luck beating me with just them.

2. I HATE Absol, Tropius is stronger IMO (if not find someone insteed of Absol, because I hate Absol)
Tropius: HP:99 At:68 De:83 SpA:72 SpD:87 Spe:51
Absol: HP:65 At:130 De:60 SpA:75 SpD:60 Spe:75
Tropius, with its AVERAGE stats, has a 4x weak to ice. Absol is just... not that great IMHO, but at least it has 1 usable stat... (Tropius reminds me of a Meganium with more weaknesses)

3. Spinda is one of my favorite pokémon, so it won't get out of my team, and it can learn the most Psychic moves of all exist Normal types IMO
When are you ever going to stick 4 psychic moves on 1 pokemon? You need Psychic, and that's it. So what if Persian learns scratch and Snorlax doesn't? Same logic applies here.

5. An Elite Four had Mightyena, they only have strong pokémon, and Mightyena is strong, right?
Lol, if Elite 4 is strong, and it's inconceivable for someone to NOT be able to beat the game, then the logic there's kinda bad, isn't it? (Koga used Ariados in GSC... and uh... yeah, I think that covers it)

10. I hope it's clear folks, if you've any suggetions about my team PM me, but I don't appect to delete bad pokémon, because status doesn't tell anything, pokémon can be good after all

Only to a certain extent, that statement is true. Eg: Persian is usable, but not AS usable as other normals. But then there are instances like Caterpie, Magikarp...

T

The Blaziken Master

Hey, didn't I already told you to NOT talk about my team in this thread! How many times should I say "Don't talk about my team here" I'm sorry about asking, you answer in way I DON'T WANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stop talk about my team here, talk about it in my future RMT thread, not here! I'm so angry, this is not a thread for telling what's good and bad for me! I will say once again, Don't Talk About My Team, I don't want to say it all the day, I hope you people will understand that! I'm so angry! Stop talk about my team in this thread, don't come with suggetions in this thread, don't do anything in this thread! I don't want to say it again, you didn't got it, you must get it! Got it? Hopefully, if someone talks about my team in this thread, I will get more angry because It's Not The Place!!!!!!!!!

T

TheSuperLapras

Blaziken is good, Groudon is good, Pelipper may be used as a tank, but Linoone? Please.
Just use something like Absol or Zangoose, or maybe even Shiftry. As for Mightyena, use Houndoom. Spida should be replaced with Clefable or Blissey, if you want a Psychic-knowing normal pokemon.

T

The Blaziken Master

How many times should I say "I won't replace any of my pokémon" and "This thread is not for that, write it in my future RMT" thread? :mad:

M

mlugia

Hey, didn't I already told you to NOT talk about my team in this thread! How many times should I say "Don't talk about my team here" I'm sorry about asking, you answer in way I DON'T WANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stop talk about my team here, talk about it in my future RMT thread, not here! I'm so angry, this is not a thread for telling what's good and bad for me! I will say once again, Don't Talk About My Team, I don't want to say it all the day, I hope you people will understand that! I'm so angry! Stop talk about my team in this thread, don't come with suggetions in this thread, don't do anything in this thread! I don't want to say it again, you didn't got it, you must get it! Got it? Hopefully, if someone talks about my team in this thread, I will get more angry because It's Not The Place!!!!!!!!!

Talking about Mightyena isn't talking about your team. Learn to differentiate between Pokemon, and your Pokemon team please. Last I checked you weren't the only person who used Mightyena. (Though you might be one of the few who thinks it's actually usable) And while you're at it, pick up a guide to grammar/spelling, it helps.

Also, rebuttling against your claims (which I do not agree with) is not the same as criticizing your team. It's not like I said "OMG REPLACE MIGHTYENA NOW WTF HAHA YOU SUCK". I merely pointed out the errors in your conceptions of Pokemon, and that's that.

A

Anemus

Ha, ha, ha. C'mon guys let's give Blaziken a break, ok? He is right to a point. Mlugia if he doesn't care to get better we don't have to help him. One thing, though, Blaziken Master. No offence, but you have almost no idea what this game is about. This is not the TV series where a pathetic Picachu can beat a well-trained Dragonite. If in reality a trainer came to me and even tried to put his Picachu against my Dragonite I would fry them both with a Thunder and send them flyin' to Team Rocket's star. The games DO NOT simulate the depth of the reality of the series. They just CAN'T. Some things you claim are just ridiculus. Again, no offence. None of us is going to suggest anything 'bout your team. IMO you should take advantage of our knowledge, experience and good will. Just DO pay a visit on the home site of the forums www.serebii.net. If you don't want serebii.net try www.gamefaqs.com. LEARN SOME THINGS before you attempt to post anything else, just to understand what we're talking about. I believe mlugia told you in a very nice manner (God bless his patience) some things - you should listen to him.
[Blaziken is good, Groudon is good, Pelipper may be used as a tank, but Linoone? Please.
Just use something like Absol or Zangoose, or maybe even Shiftry. As for Mightyena, use Houndoom. Spida should be replaced with Clefable or Blissey, if you want a Psychic-knowing normal pokemon.
]
Blaziken is hard to use, as is Shiftry but both are very good at stats.He most probably can not handle such hard Pokemons. Blissey is for tank purposes only. Only HP matters. Sp. Attack is only 75. Clefable is an excelent choise but still difficult for beginners. Now, that Hoondoum I LOVE. He is AWSOME, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.