1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Team Building Help Thread

Discussion in 'Older Gen RMT' started by Zachmac, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Zachmac

Zachmac Well-Known Member

^I've always thought Hyper Offense was about having one common weakness to keep pressure against, and then finishing the sweep when that common weakness is down.

I've never done it, but that's what I picked up.

2. Jr Breshears

Jr Breshears PKMN Breeder

I also used scizor on the team so as dewhinifier said scizor is good :D breloom might be good too offensive poke electric and grass resistent.

3. Ðew™

Ðew™ Definition of insanity

HO is all about minimizing prediction, meaning with it you're gonna wanna take risks more often than having to predict (if you think an opponent is gonna switch but there's a chance he/she won't, stick with the move that'll do more damage to the poke that's currently in). Having one common weakness on an OU team can be devastating with all of the powerhouses out there that can set up and sweep, terrakion and scizor being prime examples.

4. Zachmac

Zachmac Well-Known Member

I should of been more specific.

What I meant to say was that I always thought that they should have one common wall, so that when that team's wall is down, there is room for the rest of the team to sweep. An offensive weakness, especially one that common, is just like you said, but a whole team who is only walled by the same group of pokemon shouldn't have much of a problem when those guys are down.

5. KokoYoshi

KokoYoshi Member

So do you think Scizor can help out my Choice scarf Gyara and my Politoed? Based on what I'm seeing, I'm considering putting it on my team. I care that Gyara is part of the Hyper offense team since he's my mascot and labelled as my cleaner. Anyone else in my team is there to help Gyara.

6. SneaselFTW

SneaselFTW #215

I've wanted to try out an OU team with a Hydreigon, and I need synergy help (as I suck at synergizing :p)

[​IMG]
    Hydreigon (M) @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Dark Pulse
    - Draco Meteor
    - Fire Blast
    - Surf

Standard Specs Hydreigon. Dark Pulse and Draco Meteor are the STAB moves of choice, while Fire Blast and Surf are coverage.

I need to pair him with a Steel type, and maybe a Ghost type.

7. cris813

cris813 New Member

forretress@???
    ability: sturdy
    relaxed nature
    252 def/ 252 sp. def
    gyro ball
    toxic spikes
    stealth rock
    spikes
    gyro ball is only there to fill in a spot? i wanted a pokemon who could set up entry hazards and sorta keep itself going for a while

cloyster@ ????
    ability: skill link
    nature:adamant
    252 atk/ 252 def
    shell smash
    icicle spear
    clamp
    razor shell
    i chose cloyster for its ability to down many types due to its high attack and defense. shell smash for a boost and most likely a life orb?

tyranitar@choice band
    ability: sand stream
    adamant
    252 att/ 252 sp. def
    dragon dance
    rock slide
    fire fang/ aqua tale
    crunch
    i thought that if i had to have any pokemon on a team tyranitar was a natural choice. its sandstream helps my exadrill, and its attacks are meant to pack a punch and try to flinch.

exadrill@life orb
    sand rush
    adamant
    252 att/ 252 spe
    x-scissor
    drill run
    rock slide
    substitute
    sand rush coupled with its high att is why i chose him. used after tyranitar and he can deal some damage. x-scissor to take down dark, psychic,and grass types.

im not sure who else to add though :/ and im sorry if my explanations or choices were amateurish, because its true
    *note: im also sorta new to using forums so im not sure how to add images or anything, sorry

Attached Files:

• 205.jpg
      205.jpg
      File size:
      1.9 KB
      Views:
  8. UgoPop

UgoPop Member

Wanna Know a good for Sableye and Durant.These are the sets i use.Also who works well with them?

Durant (F) @ Air Balloon
    Trait: Hustle
    EVs: 252 Atk / 92 SDef / 164 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Bug Bite
    - Stone Edge
    - Crunch
    - Protect

Sableye (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Prankster
    EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SDef
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Recover
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Taunt
    - Foul Play

9. excadrill798

excadrill798 Member

I bet I could beat your level 100 dragonites with my level 80 excadrill!!!!!!!

10. SneaselFTW

SneaselFTW #215

Maybe partner them up with a Heatran. I only use offensive Tran so I'll suggest that.

Heatran (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Flash Fire
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Fire Blast
    - Earth Power
    - Hiddden Power [Ice]

SR is for.... Hazards. Fire blast is insanely powerful and STAB. Earth Power is good coverage, and hits opposing Heatran and HP Ice hurts Dragons.

11. Ilan

Ilan Well-Known Member

here take this: [​IMG]

A good parthner to hydreigon would be.. Starmie or slowbro also both are weak to bug so you should pair them with a teel type too like ferrothorn
    ferrothron, starmie, hydreigon- here you get a good core.

12. cris813

cris813 New Member

i have changed my forretress into a ferrothorn and am thinking of adding a magic guard reuniclus and prankster sableye.
    ferrothorn@rocky helmet
    ability iron barbs
    252 def and sp.def
    sassy nature
    gyro ball
    stealth rock
    leech seed
    power whip

if anyone has any good build for sableye or any suggestion for my team than your welcome to (and pleaded to) help

13. mtmaster

mtmaster New Member

So I can considering making a party that will work decently in the sun, probably with my own individual flare to it, as I wouldn't want to use the same thing that everyone else might be using. As it stands right now though aside from DW Ninetales I had at least two other Pokemon in mind, those being Infernape and Whimiscott. What are your guys thoughts on solar power, and the current Pokemon that I think I am sure I will end up using more or than likely.

14. cris813

cris813 New Member

aside from the starters released with their dw abilities, i think a sun team could really benefit from a cherrim. flower boost does the same as victini only with sp.def and att, but only in sunshine.

15. mtmaster

mtmaster New Member

It just occurred to me that I could also probably use Chaundler(sp?), but then again I dont wan tot necessarily use a whole ton of fire types, as that would give me a debilitating common weakness.

16. azeem40

azeem40 Pokemon is fun!

I feel like basing my team around Dragonite and this set:
    Dragonite @ Life Orb
    Ability: Multiscale
    EVs: 252 SpA / 200 Spe / 56 Atk
    Moves:
    Outrage
    Earthquake
    Fire Blast
    Thunderbolt

His goal is to hit as many leads for Super effective damage as possible. Outrage for STAB. Along with Fire Blast and Earthquake, nothing resists it. Since his Atk is so high, I didn't feel the need to max out Atk, so I maxed out SpA.

Empoleon @ Leftovers
    Ability: Torrent
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 SpA
    Moves:
    Scald
    Stealth Rock
    Roar
    Ice Beam

Idk how to describe this Pokemon.

I prefer to be a balanced team, mixing offense with defense. This is OU ofc.

17. IcePhoenix

IcePhoenix Dragon Warrior !

Hello everyone! nice to meet you...listen, i wanna create a competitive team, i already have three pokemon, my favorites...but i wanna put the best complements for them and make a strong team...please help me...i have these three:

Salamence ;373; @ Yache Berry
    Trait: Intimidate
    Shiny: Yes
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Naughty Nature
    IVs: 30 Def / 30 SDef
    - Dragon Dance
    - Outrage
    - Earthquake
    - Fire Blast

Lucario ;448; @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Steadfast
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    IVs: 29 Def / 29 SAtk
    - Swords Dance
    - Close Combat
    - ExtremeSpeed
    - Ice Punch

Hydreigon :635: @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Levitate
    Modest Nature
    IVs: 17 Atk / 30 Def
    - Draco Meteor
    - Flamethrower/Surf (i dont decide yet)
    - Earth Power
    - Dark Pulse/U-Turn (same as above)

I need to find other three pokemon to make a strong team...i was thinking in gastrodon, vaporeon, volcarona, blaziken, scizor, ferrothorn, keldeo, tornadus...i dont know who else...also, if you suggest some changes in the movesets of my three pokemon above i will also thank you for that..please help me to create my team...thanks for your attention

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  18. Divine Retribution

Divine Retribution Master of the freak show

Why are the IVs strange? Are you building this on the DS?

Anyways, that aside, I think you could benefit from Heatran the most. With a plethora of resistances, including double-resistances to the Ice types that Salamence fears and the Bug types that hit Hyreigon hard. However, now you have 3 Pokemon weak to Fighting moves. I'd remove Lucario, he doesn't seem like something that pulls its weight. Over him, I'd put in a Defensive Skarmory, who gets nice synergy with Heatran, due to the latter's immunity to Fire and the former's immunity to Ground and ability to take Fighting hits.

Now, I think Keldeo could be a great 5th member of your team, either a Specs set or a Calm Mind set.

Lastly, there's a number of Pokemon who might fit into that last slot. Scizor and Genesect come to mind immediately, as do Donphan, Gengar, and even Darmanitan.

So, in summary, I'd recommend dropping Lucario for Skarmory, then getting Heatran, Keldeo, and whatever you feel fits into that last slot.

Of course, my advice is terribad, so you could try something else altogether.

19. Ghosts of the Forums

Ghosts of the Forums Who Ya Gonna Call?

your team looks bad for ubers, because you can't use exca in ou. EDIT: heck, it's horrible. i don't know what to say. just google "smogon". they have a strategy pokedex that could help you.

20. azeem40

azeem40 Pokemon is fun!

I wait 4 damn days and no one even replies to my post? That's unfair. Too late now.