• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Team Building Help Thread

White_Roar~

Mother Monster
Can anyone tell if this is a good team :

Volcarono Modest
Ability : Flame Body
Ses attaques : Hurricane bug buzz quiver dance heat wave
307/140/150/405/278/267

Jolteon Timid
Ability : Absorb Volt
thunderbolt Volt Swith shadow ball PC (grass)
270/126/142/316/227/392

Dragonite Adamant
Ability : Multiscales (DW)
Outrage earthquake Fire punch dragon dance
323/403/226/212/218/254

Alakazam Timid
Ability: Magic Guard
Psychic
Focus Blast
Shadow Ball
Hidden Power Ice

Feraligatr Jolly
ability : torrent
Waterfal, earthquake, Dragon Danse, Ice Punch
309/309/210/169/202/280

Lucario Adamant
Ability : Inner Focus
Close Combat extremespeed Swords Dance Ice puch
268/350/169/222/164/279

Since you have a full team, you have to post a 5th Gen CRMT, just be sure to follow the rules on how to post your team in order for it to be rated.

Hi I was wondering if there is any flaws in my "dream team". I have all the Pokemon needed to finish this team... I just need to level them up and get the movesets/evolutions needed for this team. Anyway, please if you have any advice it would be highly appreciated. This is for Pokemon White btw:

Hydreigon
Dark/Dragon
-Crunch
-Stone Edge
-Draco Meteor
-Outrage

Venusaur
Grass/Poison
-Sludge Bomb
-Giga Drain
-Hidden Power
-Sleep Powder

Braviary
Normal/Flying
-Brave Bird
-Crush Claw
-Rock Slide
-Hone Claws

Chandelure (Evolve at lv.53)
Ghost/Fire
-Shadow Ball
-Fire Blast
-Energy Ball
-Hidden Power

Samurott
Water
-Surf
-Blizzard
-Air Slash
-Substitute

Metagross
Steel/Psychic
-Meteor Mash
-Earthquake
-Zen Headbutt
-Hyper Beam

White_Roar~

Mother Monster
Hi I was wondering if there is any flaws in my "dream team". I have all the Pokemon needed to finish this team... I just need to level them up and get the movesets/evolutions needed for this team. Anyway, please if you have any advice it would be highly appreciated. This is for Pokemon White btw:

Hydreigon
Dark/Dragon
-Crunch
-Stone Edge
-Draco Meteor
-Outrage

Venusaur
Grass/Poison
-Sludge Bomb
-Giga Drain
-Hidden Power
-Sleep Powder

Braviary
Normal/Flying
-Brave Bird
-Crush Claw
-Rock Slide
-Hone Claws

Chandelure (Evolve at lv.53)
Ghost/Fire
-Shadow Ball
-Fire Blast
-Energy Ball
-Hidden Power

Samurott
Water
-Surf
-Blizzard
-Air Slash
-Substitute

Metagross
Steel/Psychic
-Meteor Mash
-Earthquake
-Zen Headbutt
-Hyper Beam

Once again, as aforementioned by me, Since you have a full team of 6 Pokemon, post a CRMT. Here: http://www.serebiiforums.com/forumdisplay.php?206-5th-Gen-RMT

Just be sure to follow the rules on how to post your team. Good Luck~!

Last edited:
Once again, as aforementioned by me, Since you have a full team of 6 Pokemon, post a CRMT. Just be sure to follow the rules on how to post your team. Good Luck~!

My apologies. I'll start a new thread.

TheBossLFC

genwunn00b
Hey guys, I'm new to this competitive stuff. I understand iv and ev but I've got no idea on the team to be using. I haven't played since gold. Ill post the team I used in yellow and I'm looking for suggestions on all aspects really. Hopefully from the team I post below someone can help me not be a total n00b. I'm more familiar with the gen 1/2 pokemon so I've got no idea who's decent in gens 3+ but I'm more than happy to use them if they're better than anyone I've used from yellow. My team used to be

Blastoise
Charizard
Mew two
Zapdos
Golem
Dragonair

Cheers for the help guys!

Hauntershadow92

The Mono-type Man
The best suggestion I have right now is that mewtwo has to go, unless you want to play in ubers in which case this team will get wrecked.

TheBossLFC

genwunn00b
Do you have any suggestions on what I need to change to make it OU competitive? Say switching out new two for alakazam or zapdos for ampharos? Even changing my type coverage completely is an idea I'm open to

McDanger

well charizard is bad in OU even with sun, blastiose is outclassed by tentacruel, zapdos has a niche as a rain counter if you want to go with that, golem, i cant really think of something it can do in OU without being outdone. And dragonite> dragonair :p
To keep your team intact as much as possible i would say do a rain team, you can still use zapdos and blastiose if you want, but cruel is better imo. I would say start with a rain core around zapdos like

Politoad@choice specs
modest
252hp/252sp attack/4 speed
drizzle
-hydro pump
-ice beam
-focus blast
-HP grass/surf

Zapdos@life orb
timid
4 hp/252sp attack/252 speed
-thunder
-roost
-heat wave
-hp ice

tentacruel@black sludge
bold
252hp/252def/4sp attack
rain dish
-scald
-rapid spin
-protect
-toxic
or
blastiose@leftovers
bold
rain dish
252hp/252 def/4sp def
-scald
-rapid spin
-protect
-dragon tail

theres some holes that need to be patched up like rotom wash can threaten everyone, ferrothorn is a problomatic wall, so breloom is a good partner
breloom@life orb
adamant/jolly
252attack/4def/252speed
technician
-spore
-low sweep
-mach punch
-bullet seed

basically from there its covering your holes like lati@s is a problem, dragonite can be a threat, etc so jirachi is a big help, and dragonite can work at causing mass destruction
jirachi@leftovers
impish
252hp/252def/4spdef
-stealth rocks
-iron head
-wish
-thunder/thunder wave

dragonite@choice band
adamant
multi scale
252attack/4 sp def/252speed
-outrage
-earthquake
-aqua tail
-extreme speed

Hauntershadow92

The Mono-type Man
well charizard is bad in OU even with sun, blastiose is outclassed by tentacruel, zapdos has a niche as a rain counter if you want to go with that, golem, i cant really think of something it can do in OU without being outdone. And dragonite> dragonair :p
To keep your team intact as much as possible i would say do a rain team, you can still use zapdos and blastiose if you want, but cruel is better imo. I would say start with a rain core around zapdos like
Well, to be honest, Charizard hits INCREDIBLY hard in the Sun. Solar Power + Choice Specs + Fire Blast dents everything. It 2HKOs everything in the game with the exception of Dragonite in the Rain. But yeah...SR kinda of kills it and it isn't the fastest thing around (although 328 Speed isn't terrible).

I love Charizard, so sorry if I sound crazy. Haha.

Edit: I also looked into the Rain Mixed Dragonite, and it only 2HKOs Charizard, so honestly, nothing can safely switch into Charzard, especially if they are slower and/or zard has full health.

Last edited:

TheBossLFC

genwunn00b
Thanks for the help mcdanger! Everything you posted made sense except for a couple of the pokemon had another word below EVs and above attacks (rain dish, drizzle) which I don't know what that means. But I can't wait to train that team up and see how I go!

McDanger

Well, to be honest, Charizard hits INCREDIBLY hard in the Sun. Solar Power + Choice Specs + Fire Blast dents everything. It 2HKOs everything in the game with the exception of Dragonite in the Rain. But yeah...SR kinda of kills it and it isn't the fastest thing around (although 328 Speed isn't terrible).

I love Charizard, so sorry if I sound crazy. Haha.

Edit: I also looked into the Rain Mixed Dragonite, and it only 2HKOs Charizard, so honestly, nothing can safely switch into Charzard, especially if they are slower and/or zard has full health.

you realize saying solar power and 2hko in rain is a huge contridiction -__-
charizard hits hard, but so doesnt rampardos, doesnt mean its that good :p

@theboss: those are abilities if there multiple abilities, rain dish, multiscale, and drizzle are all dw abilities so they will be harder to get ahold of

Copie

Nothing Special
Hi guys,

I'm looking for some advice on my first reasonably competitive team. I'm trying to fill the final 3 spots with Pokemon that will compliment three Pokemon I already have. Here is the EV spread, nature and moveset for each. I've put an item as well, but those are obviously easily changeable. I suppose some moves would be as well. Really though, what I'm looking for is general advice on the final three additions, or even comments regarding what sort of synergies I should be looking for. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about synergies between Pokemon, so the more in-depth your explanation for your comments, the more I'll owe you.

Swampert @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
Torrent
240HP/16Atk/252 Def
- Stealth Rock
- Waterfall
- Superpower
- Roar

Swampert is my favorite Pokemon. I know he isn't OU right now, but I want to use him. I love him as a lead, as he allows me to set up Rocks and counter Tyranitar. Let me be clear, I hate Sand, and I hate Tyranitar, and I want to punish anyone that uses it. My only question here is whether or not I should swap STAB Waterfall for STAB Earthquack. Against Ttar, I'm busting out Superpower anyway. Roar helps if they start with the ever common Ferrothorn. I outspeed it, although I've thought about trying to switch to an Impish nature. Anyway, I love this guy and what role he can play, and would prefer to improve him as opposed to have suggestions to replace him.

Hydregion @ Life Orb
Mild Nature
Levitate
4HP/252Sp.Atk/252Spd
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Superpower
- Roost

Another one of my favorites, and an absolute beast as a Mixed Attacker. Draco Meteor is my painful STAB, and Fire Blast and Superpower is for coverage. I was unsure about throwing Superpower on him too, but I love what it does to Blisseys who switch in thinking they're dealing with a Special Sweeper. Roost is for recovery, as I want this guy to stick around and Life Orb can hurt.

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
Torrent
4HP/252Atk/252Spd
- X-Scizor
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Sacred Sword

Pretty basic revenge killing Terrakion. I want to be able to make folks pay for killing part of my team, and I feel like Terrakion is probably the number one Pokemon to dish out the pain. Very basic set here.

I struggle with developing synergy with teams. I can look and see that two of my Pokemon have fighting weaknesses, and think "hey, maybe I should have a Psychic or Ghost type," but that's about as far as my knowledge goes. I'd really like some help picking out three more appropriate members, but more than anything, I'd LOVE if someone would talk me through their thought process. I don't mind any small tweaks to the three I currently have, either. I'd even love to read comments that don't make specific suggestions with Pokemon and sets, but try to help point me in the right direction.

Thanks a lot guys, I REALLY appreciate any help you can provide and hope to learn a bit here. If I can have a reasonable grasp on the competitive side of this game by X and Y I'd be quite thrilled!

Manectrifier

AKA Treecko
Hi guys,

I'm looking for some advice on my first reasonably competitive team. I'm trying to fill the final 3 spots with Pokemon that will compliment three Pokemon I already have. Here is the EV spread, nature and moveset for each. I've put an item as well, but those are obviously easily changeable. I suppose some moves would be as well. Really though, what I'm looking for is general advice on the final three additions, or even comments regarding what sort of synergies I should be looking for. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about synergies between Pokemon, so the more in-depth your explanation for your comments, the more I'll owe you.

Swampert @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
Torrent
240HP/16Atk/252 Def
- Stealth Rock
- Waterfall
- Superpower
- Roar

Swampert is my favorite Pokemon. I know he isn't OU right now, but I want to use him. I love him as a lead, as he allows me to set up Rocks and counter Tyranitar. Let me be clear, I hate Sand, and I hate Tyranitar, and I want to punish anyone that uses it. My only question here is whether or not I should swap STAB Waterfall for STAB Earthquack. Against Ttar, I'm busting out Superpower anyway. Roar helps if they start with the ever common Ferrothorn. I outspeed it, although I've thought about trying to switch to an Impish nature. Anyway, I love this guy and what role he can play, and would prefer to improve him as opposed to have suggestions to replace him.

Hydregion @ Life Orb
Mild Nature
Levitate
4HP/252Sp.Atk/252Spd
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Superpower
- Roost

Another one of my favorites, and an absolute beast as a Mixed Attacker. Draco Meteor is my painful STAB, and Fire Blast and Superpower is for coverage. I was unsure about throwing Superpower on him too, but I love what it does to Blisseys who switch in thinking they're dealing with a Special Sweeper. Roost is for recovery, as I want this guy to stick around and Life Orb can hurt.

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
Torrent
4HP/252Atk/252Spd
- X-Scizor
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Sacred Sword

Pretty basic revenge killing Terrakion. I want to be able to make folks pay for killing part of my team, and I feel like Terrakion is probably the number one Pokemon to dish out the pain. Very basic set here.

I struggle with developing synergy with teams. I can look and see that two of my Pokemon have fighting weaknesses, and think "hey, maybe I should have a Psychic or Ghost type," but that's about as far as my knowledge goes. I'd really like some help picking out three more appropriate members, but more than anything, I'd LOVE if someone would talk me through their thought process. I don't mind any small tweaks to the three I currently have, either. I'd even love to read comments that don't make specific suggestions with Pokemon and sets, but try to help point me in the right direction.

Thanks a lot guys, I REALLY appreciate any help you can provide and hope to learn a bit here. If I can have a reasonable grasp on the competitive side of this game by X and Y I'd be quite thrilled!

Firstly, this looks really good for a first competitive team. Also, very good post overall, with all ev's and stuff and stating what kind of help you want. I wish everyone did it like this :)

You already saw your fighting weakness, and this is truly an important flaw currently. At this moment, the metagame is filled with fighting types and the most common priority move (mach punch) is also fighting-type. Atm, a Breloom can sweep all these three mon with technician mach punch and bullet seed. Therefore, you need something that can take on Breloom.
Celebi is the ultimate counter to Breloom, resisting both STABs and not being crippled by Spore due to Natural Cure. It outspeeds Breloom and can OHKO it with Psychic or Hidden Power Ice. The most common Celebi set is a specially defensive one, but you can also go for an offensive one. When you go for the specially defensive one, make sure to put enough speed ev's to outspeed Breloom though. Celebi is also a fantastic counter to rain teams, especially the likes of Keldeo and Rotom-W. It has good defensive synergy with your Swampert too.

There are not many threats that can sweep your whole team, mostly because of Terrakion, which can eliminate anything that is trying to start a sweep and hasn't got many speed boosts yet. Scizor, the most used mon in OU atm, can easily beat your Terrakion with bullet punch, but is handled by Swampert and I think Hydreigon can take a bullet punch when at nearly full health and OHKO with Fire Blast.

Once your Terrakion is gone, your team can be swept fairly easily though, because there are a lot of pokes in OU who can outspeed Swampert, Hydreigon (especially since it hasn't got a speed-boosting nature) and Celebi. I suggest putting in one more really fast mon, preferably with 110 base speed or more.

I personally like focus sash Alakazam, as it is guaranteed to get one attack of when brought in safely. Dugtrio is a good option too, eliminating many Pokemon you have problems with. Those two are very frail though. Other options for fast pokes are Latios, Latias, Espeon, Jolteon and Starmie. There are probably some more that I can't think of, though.

For the last Pokemon, it can be anything, really. Just think of something your team needs, such as a rapid spinner, priority user or a cleric, and try out some things, I suggest. Maybe something to clean up late-game. Dragonite is a good example, being able to sweep a whole team after just one dragon dance. It has multiscale too, which is a very good ability.

I hope this helped, and if you have questions, feel free to ask them!

Copie

Nothing Special
Thanks, that was a fantastic response. Exactly what I was looking for. I've tried to understand the basics of team building, but things like Breloom I missed completely. That was a really helpful post.

As of right now I can't think of anything, as I feel you covered (and explained) very well. When I have a bit more time I'm going to sit down and think about it, determine what I want to build, and might come back with more. I'm happy that the three I picked to build around aren't awful though.

Again, I really appreciate that response. Thank you.

McDanger

Firstly, this looks really good for a first competitive team. Also, very good post overall, with all ev's and stuff and stating what kind of help you want. I wish everyone did it like this :)

You already saw your fighting weakness, and this is truly an important flaw currently. At this moment, the metagame is filled with fighting types and the most common priority move (mach punch) is also fighting-type. Atm, a Breloom can sweep all these three mon with technician mach punch and bullet seed. Therefore, you need something that can take on Breloom.
Celebi is the ultimate counter to Breloom, resisting both STABs and not being crippled by Spore due to Natural Cure. It outspeeds Breloom and can OHKO it with Psychic or Hidden Power Ice. The most common Celebi set is a specially defensive one, but you can also go for an offensive one. When you go for the specially defensive one, make sure to put enough speed ev's to outspeed Breloom though. Celebi is also a fantastic counter to rain teams, especially the likes of Keldeo and Rotom-W. It has good defensive synergy with your Swampert too.

There are not many threats that can sweep your whole team, mostly because of Terrakion, which can eliminate anything that is trying to start a sweep and hasn't got many speed boosts yet. Scizor, the most used mon in OU atm, can easily beat your Terrakion with bullet punch, but is handled by Swampert and I think Hydreigon can take a bullet punch when at nearly full health and OHKO with Fire Blast.

Once your Terrakion is gone, your team can be swept fairly easily though, because there are a lot of pokes in OU who can outspeed Swampert, Hydreigon (especially since it hasn't got a speed-boosting nature) and Celebi. I suggest putting in one more really fast mon, preferably with 110 base speed or more.

I personally like focus sash Alakazam, as it is guaranteed to get one attack of when brought in safely. Dugtrio is a good option too, eliminating many Pokemon you have problems with. Those two are very frail though. Other options for fast pokes are Latios, Latias, Espeon, Jolteon and Starmie. There are probably some more that I can't think of, though.

For the last Pokemon, it can be anything, really. Just think of something your team needs, such as a rapid spinner, priority user or a cleric, and try out some things, I suggest. Maybe something to clean up late-game. Dragonite is a good example, being able to sweep a whole team after just one dragon dance. It has multiscale too, which is a very good ability.

I hope this helped, and if you have questions, feel free to ask them!

covered most of it here, breloom can KO everyone so celebi is a must. Defensive swampert is underrated, hes a 3hko for scarfed terrakion so hes good in that aspect. Latias is another big threat as it lives x scissor and KOs with psyshock, dragon pulse/draco meteor for hydreigon and swampert. Jirachi is a good answer as it also helps with tornadus i who is becoming popular again and threatens your core, as well as u turns and gains momentum for your team. You may want to consider a weather inducer as some weather mons like venusaur for sun are big threats. I know you said you hate sand, but sand gives your team a big advantage in the aspect of giving terrakion a sp defense boost, and reliable traps latios/ias and celebi that stop terrakion from sweeping, plus gets rid of jirachis major role. That lets you have a spot to add someone to handle scizor who would be a big threat if you go that way.

Copie

Nothing Special
Would having someone damaged by sand (like Hydregion) not be a bad idea in a sand team? Would I not be shooting myself in the foot, in a sense?

Sorry if that is a dumb question.

OceanicLanturn

Non non non!
Would having someone damaged by sand (like Hydregion) not be a bad idea in a sand team? Would I not be shooting myself in the foot, in a sense?

Not really, I've even tried a sand team with let's coutn... 1 (Lanturn), 2 (Celebi), 3(Victini), 4 (Espeon) pokemon sand "weak". It still manages to do pretty well, not that great, but I don't actually recommend you doing that lol.

Anyways, I'm thinking of running an OU Cobalion, so i'm just gonna use this bulky attack set

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 Sp.Atk/208 Sp.Def/48 Spe
- Calm Mind
- Flash Cannon / Focus Blast
- Volt Switch
- HP (Ice)

McDanger

not really, if you make a sand team with all sand resistors, rain and sun would destroy you
the standard sand team is ttar-landorus i-keldeo-rotom wash-celebi-jirachi iirc, only half take no damage from sandstorm. Its just how well it supports the team

Benacus

My current team is
Salamence, Life Orb, Naive, Draco Meteor, Dragon Claw, Earthquake, Flamethrower
Cofagrigus, Chesto Berry, Bold, Will-O-Wisp, Hex, Calm Mind, Rest
Togekiss, Leftovers, Serene Grace, Air Slash, Aura Sphere, Roost, Thunder Wave
Zoroark, Expert Belt, Night Daze, Focus Blast, Flamethrower, U-Turn

I need suggestions for the last 2 slots