• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Team Building Help Thread

Aquadon

TCG Trainer
So I'm starting to make a Team for Competitive Battling, and I feel like I have a good core. I'm just trying to balance the Team out now, and not sure what to run with. I guess what I'm looking for is to maintain offensive presence while putting pressure on the opponent. Here's what I have so far:

;149; Dragonite @ Life Orb?
Rash (252 ATK, 252 SpA, 4 Spe)
Draco Meteor
Fire Blast
ExtremeSpeed
Brick Break

;385; Jirachi @ Life Orb/Choice Scarf
Hasty (252 ATK, 252 Spe, 4 SpA)
Iron Head
Fire Punch
Ice Punch
Grass Knot

;260; Swampert @ Choice Band
Adamant (172 HP, 252 ATK, 84 Spe)
Waterfall
Stone Edge
Earthquake
Hammer Arm

So those three have really good synergy, and I probably want to stick to that (it started off as Flygon and Jirachi for Synergy, and those two together wouldn't be bad, but I feel like Dragonite helps with adding a Fighting-resist). I kind of want to have Spin support for Dragonite, which is why Hitmontop is next, but if that's not necessary I'll probably change it (Breloom has been another option of mine)

Hitmontop @ ????
Adamant (252 HP, 252 ATK, 4 DEF)
Mach Punch
Fake Out
Sucker Punch
Rapid Spin

Any help would be appreciated.

GC7

This War Is Ours!
I need help with team building, i have an idea of how itll start off but not sure if itll be good

Espeon (Light Clay or Leftovers)
Timid(252-Def, 252-Speed)
Reflect
Light screen
Psychic
Baton Pass or Recover (Not sure yet)

Scizor (Life Orb)
Jolly(252-Att 252-Speed)
X-Scissor
Pursuit
Bullet Punch
Swords Dance

I dont know where to go from there though or if its even a good thought what i have. Any hell would be much appreciated thanks

JoshuaMunoz

Blue Goo.
I really want to do a NU match, but dont know a lot of Pokemon that are.... um.. my style. I trained one though, is it a good idea?
Bastiodon @ Leftovers
Impish
252 HP , 4 def 252 SpD
Stealth Rocks
Iron Defense
Iron Head
Taunt

I'm a newbie, so please suggest any other good NU pokemon or improvements.
I would appreciate it more if you VM me, cause i don't usually come in this thread.

Last edited:

AlexandriaTheMixed

You A Stupid Hoe.
Well in that case it would be wifi. Generally standard rules, with minor changes to allow the team to exist.
Okay. Smogon OU wifi?
So I'm starting to make a Team for Competitive Battling, and I feel like I have a good core. I'm just trying to balance the Team out now, and not sure what to run with. I guess what I'm looking for is to maintain offensive presence while putting pressure on the opponent. Here's what I have so far:

;149; Dragonite @ Life Orb?
Rash (252 ATK, 252 SpA, 4 Spe)
Draco Meteor
Fire Blast
ExtremeSpeed
Brick Break

;385; Jirachi @ Life Orb/Choice Scarf
Hasty (252 ATK, 252 Spe, 4 SpA)
Iron Head
Fire Punch
Ice Punch
Grass Knot

;260; Swampert @ Choice Band
Adamant (172 HP, 252 ATK, 84 Spe)
Waterfall
Stone Edge
Earthquake
Hammer Arm

So those three have really good synergy, and I probably want to stick to that (it started off as Flygon and Jirachi for Synergy, and those two together wouldn't be bad, but I feel like Dragonite helps with adding a Fighting-resist). I kind of want to have Spin support for Dragonite, which is why Hitmontop is next, but if that's not necessary I'll probably change it (Breloom has been another option of mine)

Hitmontop @ ????
Adamant (252 HP, 252 ATK, 4 DEF)
Mach Punch
Fake Out
Sucker Punch
Rapid Spin

Any help would be appreciated.
You don't need to mix everything.

Dragonite (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance
- Fire Punch
- ExtremeSpeed

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 204 SDef / 52 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Calm Mind
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Wish

Swampert (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP / 216 Def / 52 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Ice Beam
- Earthquake
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

Skarmory (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Brave Bird
- Whirlwind
- Spikes
- Roost

Starmie @ Life Orb
Trait: Illuminate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin

Electivire (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Motor Drive
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Wild Charge
- Volt Switch
- Ice Punch
- Cross Chop
I need help with team building, i have an idea of how itll start off but not sure if itll be good

Espeon (Light Clay or Leftovers)
Timid(252-Def, 252-Speed)
Reflect
Light screen
Psychic
Baton Pass or Recover (Not sure yet)

Scizor (Life Orb)
Jolly(252-Att 252-Speed)
X-Scissor
Pursuit
Bullet Punch
Swords Dance

I dont know where to go from there though or if its even a good thought what i have. Any hell would be much appreciated thanks
Espeon (F) @ Light Clay
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Psyshock
- Baton Pass
- Reflect
- Light Screen

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit
- Bullet Punch

emerl98

Fire Tamer
I need help Building an Offensive OU team based around my Infernape. I want Infernape to be my main Sweeper. As for sets I'm still trying to decide between a Mixape set or a Swords Dance Set.

My Second Pokemon is going to be Rotom W, mainly because its bulky and checks most of infernapes counters. I'm going to use this set

Rotom W @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SPAtt
Nature: Modest/Timid
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Pain Split
- Substitute

I need some Suggestions for the rest of my team. I was thinking off adding a grass type but I'm stuck between Ferrothorn and Virizion.

Zachmac

I need help Building an Offensive OU team based around my Infernape. I want Infernape to be my main Sweeper. As for sets I'm still trying to decide between a Mixape set or a Swords Dance Set.

My Second Pokemon is going to be Rotom W, mainly because its bulky and checks most of infernapes counters. I'm going to use this set

Rotom W @ Leftovers
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Pain Split
- Substitute

I need some Suggestions for the rest of my team. I was thinking off adding a grass type but I'm stuck between Ferrothorn and Virizion.
Don't get me wrong, Mixape is a great set, but I suggest using the swords dance set. Why? Because Mixape is more of a wall breaker then a sweeper.

Okay, so let's look at Infernape's most dangerous counters. Jellicent, Tentacruel, and Gyarados give it a problem, but those are both easily handled by Rotom-W. The latis, Dragonite, and Salamence could all be a pain, and aren't as easily handled by Rotom-W. Neither Ferrothorn nor Virizion can handle these either, so I suggest finding a new pokemon to take them on. Choice Band Scizor can handle the Latis and Mence, but you'll have to use something else for D-nite. If you add said Scizor, you could also give Rotom Volt Switch and turn your team into VoltTurn.

As for your grass type problem...Ferrothorn can set up stealth rock quite well, and handle Choice Specs Draco Meteors along with pokemon locked in outrage. I'd actually use this one if in the end you don't decide to use Scizor, but if you do, I'd find something else for stealth rock. Maybe you could still use it even if you had Scizor, just because it can take said attacks better, while Scizor would find itself being 2HKOed. Virizion, on the other hand, just simply goes well with the offensive nature of the team you wish to build.

Sadu-Hem

Ragnarok Bringer
Hi, I'm new to UU and I'm most familiar with the OU scene now, so can I please get some help?

I wanna build a team based around Flygon. My dilemma is that I don't even know what to do with Flygon: should I scout with a Scarf or sweep with LO/CB?

AlexandriaTheMixed

You A Stupid Hoe.
Hi, I'm new to UU and I'm most familiar with the OU scene now, so can I please get some help?

I wanna build a team based around Flygon. My dilemma is that I don't even know what to do with Flygon: should I scout with a Scarf or sweep with LO/CB?

Considering Flygon has average speed, I'd go with the scarfed variant. Using Flygon grants you a Dragon/Ice Weakness. Special Defensive Empoleon would be fantastic to use as he resists both of these types, and Flygon is ammune to ground, electric, and gives the team a fire resist.

Empoleon doesn't have the best self recovery, and he's very vital. Umbreon would have a nice Niche in your team as he can be a statuser/status healing Pokémon. (Also Specially Defensive Set.)

With these team members you have a bulging fighting weakness. Mew, Sableye, or Mismagius should be able to fix this so don't fret. If you need any more help just ask. :)

Eranu™

As Alexandria said, Flygon is best with the Choice Scarf set. It doesn't get Dragon Dance so it doesn't really get a chance to sweep often.
Flygon's main counters are Bronzong, Slowbro, Gligar and Milotic.
Also, Flygon will force a lot of switches so hazards could be good.
The best poke to deal with its main counter is Shaymin. Maybe add a fire type for bronzong.

CarneysRage

Okay. Smogon OU wifi?

I suppose so. Lower tier if possible, but probably OU. I saw that drought wasn't allowed, but I'll be ignoring that rule when I set up my battles.

emerl98

Fire Tamer
Thanks for help. I decided to add Skarmory to act as a wall and a Stealth Rock set up. So my current team is:
227.gif

Skarmory@ Shed Shell
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 SPdef 252 Def
Nature:
~ Roost
~ Stealth Rock
~ Whirlwind
~ Brave Bird

479-w.gif

Rotom W @ Leftovers
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Pain Split
- Substitute

212.gif

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Nature: Adamant
~ U-turn
~ Bullet Punch
~ Superpower
~ Pursuit

392.gif

Infernape @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly
~ Swords Dance
~ Flare Blitz
~ Close Combat
~ Stone Edge

640.gif

Virizion @
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
~ Calm Mind
~ Giga Drain
~ Focus Blast
~Taunt

Any Suggestions for the last pokemon??

AlexandriaTheMixed

You A Stupid Hoe.
Thanks for help. I decided to add Skarmory to act as a wall and a Stealth Rock set up. So my current team is:
227.gif

Skarmory@ Shed Shell
EVs: 252 SPdef 252 Def
Nature:
~ Roost
~ Stealth Rock
~ Whirlwind
~ Brave Bird

479-w.gif

Rotom W @ Leftovers
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Pain Split
- Substitute

212.gif

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Nature: Adamant
~ U-turn
~ Bullet Punch
~ Superpower
~ Pursuit

392.gif

Infernape @ Life Orb
~ Swords Dance
~ Flare Blitz
~ Close Combat
~ Stone Edge

640.gif

Virizion @
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
~ Calm Mind
~ Giga Drain
~ Focus Blast
~Taunt

Any Suggestions for the last pokemon??

You have a very large fire weakness. Volcarona after one Quiver, could really do some damage if Rotom-W is gone. I'd like to give more of a rate than right now, but it'll have to wait. When I have more time later count on it that I'll be a much better help.

Vandslaux

How's this team for Random Matchup?

Metagross @ Shuca Berry
Adamant
flawless IVs
EV spread?
Clear Body
Stealth Rock
Ice Punch
Meteor Mash
Earthquake

Latios @ Choice Specs
Timid
Levitate
31/6/31/30/31/30
4 HP/252 SpAtk/252 Speed
Hidden Power Fire
Draco Meteor
Psyshock
Surf

Scizor @ Life Orb
Adamant
flawless IVs
Technician
252 HP/252 Atk/4 Speed
Bug Bite
Swords Dance
Bullet Punch
Superpower

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Sturdy
flawless
Impish
252 HP/252 Def/4 SpD
Brave Bird
Spikes
Whirlwind
Roost

Raikou @ Air Balloon
Timid
224 HP/32 Def/252 Speed
31/22/30/31/31/31
Pressure
Hidden Power Ice
Thunderbolt
Calm Mind
Substitute

Need help on a last teammate, or swapouts. If anything, I'd base this team around Raikou or Scizor. For some reason, I wanted to use my shiny Latios, and Specs Latios just smashes holes in everything barring Chansey.

Sadu-Hem

Ragnarok Bringer
As Alexandria said, Flygon is best with the Choice Scarf set. It doesn't get Dragon Dance so it doesn't really get a chance to sweep often.
Flygon's main counters are Bronzong, Slowbro, Gligar and Milotic.
Also, Flygon will force a lot of switches so hazards could be good.
The best poke to deal with its main counter is Shaymin. Maybe add a fire type for bronzong.

So something like a Flygon + Shaymin + Arcanine offensive core?

AlexandriaTheMixed

You A Stupid Hoe.
How's this team for Random Matchup?

Metagross @ Shuca Berry / Life Orb
Adamant
flawless IVs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def OR EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Clear Body
Agility / Stealth Rock
Ice Punch
Meteor Mash
Earthquake

Latios @ Choice Specs
Timid
Levitate
31/6/31/30/31/30
4 HP/252 SpAtk/252 Speed
Hidden Power Fire
Draco Meteor
Psyshock
Thunderbolt

Scizor @ Life Orb
Adamant
flawless IVs
Technician
248 HP/252 Atk/8 Speed
Bug Bite
Swords Dance
Bullet Punch
Superpower

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Sturdy
flawless
Impish
248 HP/252 Def/8 SpD
Brave Bird
Spikes
Whirlwind
Roost

Raikou @ Air Balloon
Timid
224 HP/32 Def/252 Speed OR EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
31/22/30/31/31/31
Pressure
Hidden Power Ice
Thunderbolt
Calm Mind
Substitute

Need help on a last teammate, or swapouts. If anything, I'd base this team around Raikou or Scizor. For some reason, I wanted to use my shiny Latios, and Specs Latios just smashes holes in everything barring Chansey.
Edits in bold.

@Sadu. Yes.

emerl98

Fire Tamer
You have a very large fire weakness. Volcarona after one Quiver, could really do some damage if Rotom-W is gone. I'd like to give more of a rate than right now, but it'll have to wait. When I have more time later count on it that I'll be a much better help.

Thanks for pointing that out. I thought about my team again and decided to remove Skarmory and Virizion from my team. I thought about adding a Tyranitar to set up Stealth Rock, but then I realised that my team would be vulnerable to an oppositions Infernape. So I decided to remove Scizor as well. I still need someone to set-up entry hazards but i'm stuck between Ferrothorn and Forretress

snivy trainer

Driving myself batty
Forretress spins, but Ferros defences are great. But Forry has Sturdy. Go Forretress, as it has 1 weakness, Fire, and can spin away hazards and set some up.

Me and a friend of mine are making Rain and Drizzle teams. I'm making Sun, with:

Ninetales@ Leftovers
Timid | Drought
??? EVs
~Flamethrower
~Energy Ball
~?
~?

Yeah I'm clueless.

emerl98

Fire Tamer
So my current team is:
479-w.gif

Rotom W @ Leftovers
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Pain Split
- Substitute

392.gif

Infernape @ Life Orb
~ Swords Dance
~ Flare Blitz
~ Close Combat
~ Stone Edge

205.gif

Forretress @ Shed Shell
EVs: 252 HP /
Nature: Relaxed
~ Spikes
~ Toxic Spikes
~ Rapid Spin
~ Earthquake

What should I get for my 4th pokemon? Maybe Gliscor?

AlexandriaTheMixed

You A Stupid Hoe.
479-w.gif

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split

Put the last 4 EV's where ever you'd like.

392.gif

Infernape (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Blaze
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Same.

598.gif

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Spikes

Changes from Forrey.

What should I get for my 4th pokemon? Maybe Gliscor? Yes. Fighting resist.

Last edited: