• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Team Building Help Thread

Shego

The Pokémon Explorer
Hi. I don't mean to be rude or anything like that but, my previous question of Team Building haven't been answered yet.

Last edited:

Arvis

Haven't competitively battled since BW, so I don't know much about the current metagame

But I'm looking to start a team centered around this Pinsir set

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Spd / 252 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat / Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Quick Attack
- Return

Any suggested teammates or changes to this set?

Haven't competitively battled since BW, so I don't know much about the current metagame

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Quick Attack
- Return

Earthquake should be used over Close Combat/Stone Edge. Move the 4HP EVs to special defense, as it allows you to switch into Stealth Rock one more time.

As for teammates, you'll need something that deals with Talonflame, so I suggest Rotom W.

Rotom W @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
Levitate
248 HP 252 Def 4 SpAtk
-Hydro Pump
-Will o Wisp
-Volt Switch
-Pain Split

This handles Talonflame, as well as most non Guts physical attackers. Volt Switch also allows you to gain momentum by bringing in a poke safely thanks to rotoms relatively low base speed when Uninvested.

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Quick Attack
- Return

You need to run Jolly, otherwise you get outsped by a lot of key Pokemon, namely Charizard, Garchomp, Mega Gardevoir, Landorus, Manaphy, and more.

Earthquake is a better option than CC/Stone Edge because Aegislash walls you otherwise.

And lastly, I'd suggest either Mold Breaker (if you use Earthquake) or Hyper Cutter. With MB, you get to hit Rotom-W hard before Mega Evolving with Earthquake (+2 252 Atk Mold Breaker Pinsir Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 292-344 (96 - 113.1%) -- 75% chance to OHKO). With Hyper Cutter, Landorus-Therian switch ins don't drop your Attack.
-1 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 180-213 (47.1 - 55.7%) -- 20.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
-1 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Quick Attack vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 72-85 (18.8 - 22.2%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 271-319 (70.9 - 83.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Quick Attack vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 106-126 (27.7 - 32.9%) -- 83.6% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

Teammate wise, something that beats Skarmory, Rotom-W, Zapdos, and Landorus-Therian are all needed. Black Kyurem is able to beat all four 1v1, but can't switch into Lando or Rotom-W without risking dying to Stone Edge or getting burned. Some other possibilities: HP Grass Greninja, Thundurus, HP Fire Latios, Latias. Or you could worry about beating one or two of them, or just something that keeps Rocks off the field. As Cloneblazer mentions above, Talonflame is an issue, so having something to beat it too is nice.

Oh, and one last thing. Having an odd number of HP lets you take less damage from SR, which is even more important for SR weak things like Pinsir. So run 0 HP EVs and run the 4 leftover EVs in either SDef or Def.

Last edited:

Hatmaster15

Dunsparce Defender
I've made semi-competitive teams before, but this its my first try at an actual competitive team, so don't be surprised if it's not brilliant :L
The aim of the game with this team is to basically have a bit of fun with the opponents head - unpredictability and confusing tactics are something I'm trying to focus on here.

These are the 3 pokemon I have currently:

Zoroark @ Wise Glasses
Nature: Naive/Rash
EV's: 252 Special Attack / 252 Speed
Ability: Illusion
-Sucker Punch/U-turn
-Night Daze / Dark Pulse
-Flamethrower
-Extrasensory

Zoaroark's main point it to trick the opponent into thinking they're fighting Crobat (I'll explain why particularly Crobat in his section) and then suprise them with powerful special attacks. Sucker Punch is also there just in case I need him to be a temporary revenge killer, but I also thought about using U-turn as for added confusion, the real Crobat could U-turn out to the illusion Crobat (Zoaroark), just to make things more confusing. Night Daze and Dark Pulse are clearly the STAB moves - I'm tempted to go Night Daze becuase of the added power and becuase, well, it IS his signature move. Flamethrower is to counter any bug types and Extrasensory is to be used against fighting types - thanks to the changes to Steel resistances, his Dark STABS won't be resisted so now I don't have to rely on the unreliable Focus Blast. The wise glasses is mainly becuase I hate being locked in by choice items and I'm not a fan of Life Orb damage, especially with Zoaroarks defences.

Crobat @ Black Sludge
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 Speed/252 Attack
Ability: Infiltrator
-Cross Poison
-Brave Bird
-U-turn
-Taunt

Crobat is here to be a speedy physical attack and to mess up some support pokemon using Taunt, while U turn is used to try and make the opponent overpredict (or to be used for the whole "Which Crobat is real?" Strategy). However, Crobat is also the perfect pokemon for Zoaroark to masquerade as - everything Zoaroark is weak to is resisted by Crobat and vice versa. Also, anyone trying to use a psychic attack on an illusion Crobat will fail. Furthermore, thanks to Crobat's flying type people will be far less likely to try and use the ever-common earthquake on it, which could in turn save Zoaroark from being hit by a powerful earthquake move. The whole Zoaroark-Crobat team is the main backbone of my team at the moment.

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Nature: Really doesn't matter
EVs: 252 HP/252 anything else
Ability: Imposter
-Transform
-
-
-

I've never even done competitive but I know this is basically the only set Ditto can use unless you're brave. Normally, as I said, I don't like Choice items but this is a time where it works really well. This set looks really fun to use and the chance to turn the tables on all those Scizors and Dragonites doing their dances just sounds like a great opportunity!

So yeah, if anyone has any good suggestions for other team members or changes to these, feel free! While this is a competitive team the main point is having fun, so I don't need surefire, superpowered pokemon - I'm open to any gimmicky strategies if you can think of them. Also, as I will be using this for Wi-Fi Battles, not Showdown or any other simulators, there is no specific tier I'm working towards so consider this team as being used in standard play.

Finally, as I'm trying to make an unpredictable team I'd appreciate steering away from the old favourites like Tyranitar, Heatran and Garchomp (although I'm not saying I won't use them at all, just I'd prefer other pokemon :L )

Thanks for any feedback! ^^

REMARCABLE

Hi all, I am new to competitive battling and I thought that I might give it a shot using Pokemon I breed myself, I am a bit of an OCD perfectionist and so all the Pokemon I breed have the nature best recommended for them (based off information I research of the net? they also have 6IVs and 4 of their best egg moves, so tell me if this team is any good

Gengar @Gengarnite
Levitate
Mega evolution: Shadow Tag
Timid
EVs: 252 SpA, 252 Speed and 4 in SpD

Moves:
Sludge Bomb
Shadow Ball
Psychic
Thunderbolt

Gengar is amazing after the mega evolution, the only problem is he can't take a hit well, but he can outspeed most anything though

next

Greninja@Kings Rock
Timid
Protean
EVs: 252 in SpA, 252 in Speed and 4 in HP

Moves:
Dark Pulse
Extrasensory
Surf
Ice Beam

Greninja is the most awesome creature I have ever seen, he is fast, he is strong and he is a god damn ninja, how cool is that? now the reason I chose the kings rock is this: Kings Rock+Dark Pulse= 30% chance of flinching, Kings Rock+Extrasensory=20% chance of flinching, Kings Rock+Ice Beam=10% chance of flinching and 10% of freezing
Greninja can't take a hit very well but he can do extreme damage excellently

Diggersby@ Assault Vest
Adamant
Huge Power
EVs: 252 in Speed, 252 in Attack and 4 in HP

Moves:
Return
Earthquake
Brick Break
Rock Slide

now I know what you all are thinking and yes, after hearing about Diggersby from shofu I thought "well couldn't hurt to try" and yes, Diggersby is a freaking beast! He is ridiculously strong, one Return can KO almost any non-ghost, rock, steel Pokemon, Earthquake because just come on, although I was thinking of losing Rockslide as it is pretty cool but it does have a chance of missing, the Assault Vest is awesome for Diggersby, it saves him from Special moves like Blizzard, Surf, Focus Blast and stuff like that

Aegislash@ Leftovers
Brave
Stance Change
EVs: 252 in HP, 252 in Attack and 4 in SpD
IVs: 31/31/31/31/31/0

Moves:
Sacred Sword
Swords Dance
Shadow Sneak
King's Shield

now I know i said all my Pokemon were breed to the nearest Perfection but I noticed that Aegislash is actually better off as slow as possible, that way he can take attacks while safe in shield stance and dish back damage in sword stance and then retreat back into shield stance, Swords Dance raises his attack to absurd levels and Sacred Sword is awesome against Pokemon who spam Iron Defense or Curse

I've been trying this team out on Battle Spot (singles). It's not finished yet and I'm willing to swap out a couple members if necessary. I also don't know who the sixth member should be. The teams is meant to be centered around Hydreigon, Mega Venusaur, and Aegislash.

Galavantula (Compound Eyes)
Evs: 252 Spa, 252 Spe, 4 HP
Timid - Focus Sash
Thunder
Bug Buzz
Energy Ball
Sticky Webs

This is my lead and I've been satisfied with it. Its even swept once.

Hydreigon (Levitate)
Evs: 252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 SpD
Modest - Choice Specs
Dark Pulse
Draco Meteor
Fire Blast
Earth Power

With this one, I'm wondering if I should breed a Timid Hydreigon instead or use Choice Scarf over the Specs. Also, I haven't ever used Fire Blast, but is the power worth it. Is Flamethrower better? Its meant to just be a big gun.

Venusaur (Overgrow/Thick fat)
Evs: 192 HP, 252 SpD, 64 Atk
Careful - Venusaurite
Curse
Synthesis
Petal Blizzard
Earthquake

This is just the Curse Venusaur set adapted to mega form. It's done fairly well, but the main issue is switching in safely to mega evolve.

Aegislash (Stance Change)
Evs: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Atk
Adamant - Leftovers
King's Shield
Swords Dance
Sacred Sword
Shadow Sneak

I haven't used him in battle spot, though he worked fine in the Battle Maison. I mainly picked him for what he resists (relative to Hydreigon and Venusaur). I'm considering using Ironhead over Sacred Sword of Shadow Sneak.

Crobat (Infiltrator)
Evs: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 HP
Jolly - Choice Band
Brave Bird
U-Turn
Haze
Return

I'm also pretty satisfied with this one. Usually, I just use Brave Bird, but the U Turn has come in handy as well. Haze is there to remove stat boosts. As for Return, I didn't think of anything better to put.

Talonflame has been a big problem for me. I don't think anything here can't take more than 2 priority Brave Birds. Venusaur is OHKed before it can get up a curse, Hydreigon is outsped and Galvantula is usually down before Talonflame comes out. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Crobat needs Cross Poison for a STAb move. Also Haze on a Choice set is just asking for trouble.

Aegislash is not meant to be used defensively, so move the defense EVs to Atk/SpAtk depending on what role you want to give him.

Curse Venusaur is really bad. He's meant to be used as a special tank or physical wall. Try using him that way.

Galvantula and Hydreigon look good though.

Crobat needs Cross Poison for a STAb move. Also Haze on a Choice set is just asking for trouble.

Aegislash is not meant to be used defensively, so move the defense EVs to Atk/SpAtk depending on what role you want to give him.

Curse Venusaur is really bad. He's meant to be used as a special tank or physical wall. Try using him that way.

Galvantula and Hydreigon look good though.

You're right about Crobat. I'm also thinking of running Taunt instead of Haze for it.

For Venusaur, do you mean I should focus more on one of the defenses and abandon Curse?

Last edited:
^
Don't run Taunt on Crobat if you give him a choice Band. That forces him to be locked into it, which is never good.

Yes. There are two sets for mega Venusaur right now:

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Relaxed Nature
Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP 252 Def 4 SpAtk
Earthquake
Giga Drain
Synthesis
Sludge Bomb

This set is standard for physically defensive Venusaur. Not much needs to be explained here.

Set 2:

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Modest Nature
Thick Fat
252 HP 4. Def 252 SpAtk
Giga Deain/Leaf Storm
Sludge Bomb
HP fire/Rock
Synthesis

This set is more of a tank and hits pretty hard.

MurderofKrow

Bird Brain
This is my first try of making a team and I'm going for Semi-Competitive(I'm mainly going to use them at that Battle place, can't remember the name, and maybe a bit online.). I don't have the pokemon that I am going to use yet, but I do plan on breeding for them. They will all be from Gen 6 so there won't be as many attacks to choose from. I'm not well versed in the terms for some of the things, so if anybody can give me a simplified answer would make it easier to understand. I'm also not entirely confident in my team idea, and I'm not sure how many EVs I should put into each of the stats that I think I should put in them. I've kind of look in other sites as well, so some of the ideas came from those areas.

Honchkrow@Life orb
Adament nature
Moxie
EVs: Atk, Spd, HP
Brave bird
Sucker punch
Substitute/Another Atk move
Roost

I was think of it as my main attacker, but unsure as what build I should go for. Might go with Substitute, but if I can use it with another attack and keep Roost then I'd go with that. Just don't know if that would work. I should also point out that I would like to keep Honchkrow as a member of the team.

Accelgor@Not sure
Timid/Modest Nature
EVs:Hp Sp.Atk Spd
Spikes
Bug buzz
U-turn
Final Gambit

I was thinking of using this for a set-up and run, along with sacrifice it against the really strong pokes mainly. I feel good about this one except for , but the only things are which item to give it and the EVs.

Swampert@Leftovers
Not sure which Nature
Torrent or if and when I have it Damp
EVs: Hp Atk either of the defenses
Waterfall
Earthquake
Stone edge
Toxic

I'm going for it to be a wall, but not sure which it could be unfortunetly.

This is where it gets harder for me. Because I'm not sure who I could pair up with them. Here are some that I have thought up, but still not 100% on them.

Gengar@Gengarite
Timid Nature
Levitate
EVs: Sp.Atk Spd Hp
Shadow ball
Sludge bomb
Dazzling Gleam
Destiny bond

Thought it might be a good Special attacker, and giving it Destiny bond to take down anything that I feel might OHKO it.

I've also thought of Magnezone and Coffigrigus as well but not sure what build to use.

I'm sorry that it's not a lot of info to go with, but any ideas would help me out.

Hatmaster15

Dunsparce Defender
I've also thought of Magnezone and Coffigrigus as well but not sure what build to use.

I'm sorry that it's not a lot of info to go with, but any ideas would help me out.

If you wanna use Cofagrigus, I'd reccomend something like:

Cofagrigus@Leftovers/Binding Band
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 Hp/252 Def/4 Spcl Def
Ability: Mummy
-Hex/Shadow Ball
-Toxic Spikes
-Infestation
-Will-O-Wisp/ Hidden Power Fighting

The main point is for him to throw statuses around to cripple the other team, and hopefully capitalize on that by using hex, which is more powerful than shadow ball when the opponent has a status problem (but shadow ball is more reliable, so its a power vs reliability choice). Toxic Spikes can mean that the majority of the enemies team will be poisoned, leaving them open for hex shenanigans - infestation can be used here to ensure that the opponent isn't going anywhere as well as racking up some damage over time. Will-O-Wisp is obviously good for physically ruining the other team, and may be useful if you want to status something like Steels or Poisons that are immune to toxic. However, if you want to be able to direct damage normal types you could use hidden power fighting instead, as otherwise infestation is all you'll have.
Oh, and the leftovers will help you stick around longer (I'd probably go with this) but the binding band could be useful if you want infestation to last longer.

Hope I could help a bit, if anyone wants to mess around with this suggestion feel free too :)

Last edited:

vhanix

Grass grower!
I finally found a thread like this. So I'm not that new to Pokemon, I am very noob in Pokemon Competitive battling, and with EV and IV things as well. So might as well help me come up with a good team with all these IVs and EVs. Will appreciate your help so much. PS. I don't wanna change team.

Serperior
Item Held: Sky Plate
Ability: Overgrow
Nature: Careful +SpDef -SpAtk

Coil
Leaf Blade
Aerial Ace
Toxic

Serperior is my team leader. I found this Careful Serperior somewhere in the net then adapted this. I actually want her to learn Synthesis so that I can team her up with Mega Charizard Y, but since it is impossible I had resorted to Serperior with Giga Drain holding Big Root, but this contradicts her nature. So I ended up with Serperior with Toxic. She has great speed so I can easily set her up with Coil or set the opponent on Toxic, however I'm really having a difficult time when she deals with physical moves as her Defense isn't that great. Poor defense as said by the rater in Kiloude City.

Charizard/Mega Charizard Y
Item Held: Charizadite Y
Ability: Blaze/Drought
Nature: Timid +Spd -Atk

Flamethrower
Roost
Solar Beam
Air Slash

Swampert
Item Held: Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
Nature: Impish +Def -Atk

Earthquake
Stone Edge
Waterfall
Brick Break

Ampharos
Item Held: Ampharosite
Ability: Static
Nature: Modest +SpAtk -Atk

Agility
Thunderbolt
Power Gem
Dragon Pulse

Krookodile
Item Held: Earth Plate
Nature: Adamant +Atk -SpAtk

Bulk Up
Earthquake
Crunch
Rock Slide

Sylveon
Item Held: Pixie Plate
Ability: Cute Charm
Nature: Sassy +SpDef -Spd

Calm Mind
Moonblast
Draining Kiss
Psych Up

Last edited:
We can't help you if you're unwilling to change your team.

Bottom line: this needs some serious work.

Serperior: switch to a Timid nature. Give him the moves Leaf Storm, Dragon Pulse, Giga Drain, and another Special move

Charizard: replace Air Slash with either Dragon Pulse or Focus Blast

Swampert needs an Adamant Nature

I don't see why you have two megas. Ampharos seems redundant.

If you're gonna go down the Moxie route in Krookodile, give him a Jolly Nature and a Scarf. Replace Bulk Up with another physical move

Sylveon: give her a Bold Nature. Replace Draining Kiss with Wish, and Psych Up with Protect.

Goodraman

Man of 1000 Goomys
So im building a double battle team on X, my current pokemon are

Krookodile/Intimidate
Relaxed
Rocky Helmet
Torment, Crunch, Mean Look, Dig

Plusle/plus
Hardy
Zap plate
Helping hand ,Encore, Discharge, Wish

Chandelure/Flash fire
Brave
Charcoal
Will-o-wisp, painsplit, curse, flamethrower

Slurpuff/ Sweet veil
Hasty
Leftovers
Wish, play rough, cotton guard, surf

any suggestions?

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
I want to pair a Togekiss with a bulky Water type. I'm thinking I'll go with either Swampert or Gastrodon to prevent a significant Electric weakness, but I'm not sure which to go with. Swampert has usable offensive prowess and Stealth Rock, while Gastrodon has reliable recovery and the ability to net a Sp. Atk boost by switching into Scalds and Hydro Pumps that Swampert might not be able to shake off.

vhanix

Grass grower!
We can't help you if you're unwilling to change your team.

Bottom line: this needs some serious work.

Serperior: switch to a Timid nature. Give him the moves Leaf Storm, Dragon Pulse, Giga Drain, and another Special move

Charizard: replace Air Slash with either Dragon Pulse or Focus Blast

Swampert needs an Adamant Nature

I don't see why you have two megas. Ampharos seems redundant.

If you're gonna go down the Moxie route in Krookodile, give him a Jolly Nature and a Scarf. Replace Bulk Up with another physical move

Sylveon: give her a Bold Nature. Replace Draining Kiss with Wish, and Psych Up with Protect.

Oooh. Alright, so can you help me come uo with a good team with Serperior nd Sylveon in it? Including all moves, items, natures and all that. Thank you very much.

Idk. I guess I could try. I'm better at rating individual sets rather than team building.

Not sure if you want an offensive, balanced, or stall team though.

Kitt Geekazaru

Infernape Trainer
Does anyone have ideas for this team? What two pokemon would best help it?;448;;479-w;;376;+Greninja(which doesn't have a smiley)
Greninja: Protean; Red Card. EVs: HP-252, Atk-120, Defense-132 Naughty
-Spikes
-Shadow Sneak
-Waterfall
-Acrobatics
Greninja'd. This comes out after Suicide Metagross and shakes up their team. Spikes is to stop Electrics and add up the damage on switches. I've had multiple moments with Shadow Sneak involving Mega Lucario Aura Sphere. Waterfall does solid damage with flinch chance and hits Tyranitar and Talonflame. Acrobatics is for after the Red Card makes them switch and take some damage, and nullifies EQs. The EVs are placed so that Talonflame cannot OHKO it.

Metagross: Clear Body; Normal Gem EVs: HP-252, Def-128, Sp.Def-128 -Docile
-Explosion
-Stealth Rocks
-Bullet Punch
-Ice Punch
A suicide lead that sets up rocks then explodes. Simple, really.

Rotom Wash: Levitate; Choice Specs EVs: HP-252, Def-4, Sp.Atk-252 Gentle
-Hydro pump
-Volt switch
-Dark pulse
-Signal beam
Specs Rotom-W hits extremely hard, and every Pokemon can be hit neutrally by it.

Mega Lucario: Inner Focus; Lucarionite EVs: HP-128, Atk-252, Speed-132
-Drain Punch
-Bullet Punch
-Close Combat
-Ice punch
This was the one I wasn't sure on, but I saw Drain Punch as recovery and Bullet Punch as Priority. Ice Punch takes down dragons that might try to wall it.

cheapshot5566

Pokémon Ranger
I am wanting to try a sort-of gimmicky team based off of Pokemon Trainer Red's team from Gold and Silver. Before I get started on breeding, though, I thought I would try to get some input on my ideas for the team so far. Any advice would be great.

Espeon - Light Clay
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 Hp / 4 SAtk / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Psychic/ Dazzling Gleam
Yawn

I plan on having Espeon lead to set up Reflect and Light Screen, if possible, which will help out specifically with Pikachu's poor defenses, as well as everyone else's. Psychic is for STAB and Dazzling Gleam is to take care of Dark. Yawn would be to phase out opponents, or to get a few extra hits if they don't switch out.

Pikachu - Light Ball
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Nature: Hasty
- Thunderbolt
- HP Ice
Substitute
Encore

Thunderbolt is its main attack, while HP Ice is for coverage against grass and dragon if needed. Substitute helps with its poor defenses, and Reflect and Light Screen from Espeon help further. Encore is an option to help set up the substitute.

Blastoise - Left Overs
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 Hp / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Nature: Bold
- Scald/ Surf
- Rapid Spin
- Roar/ Dragon Tail
Toxic

Blastoise is going to be my Rapid Spinner to get rid of entry hazards. Roar will force a switch on a pokemon that is boosting its stats and those with Subs, but Dragon Tail is for similar instances while damaging, but can't touch subs. Toxic is just toxic, trying to as much damage as possible if they decide to stay in. Scald is for the chance of burn for those with high attack, but Surf is for more damage.

Charizard - Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 4 Hp / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
Nature: Modest/ Timid
- Flame Thrower
- Protect/ Dragon Pulse
- Solar Beam
Air Slash

Charizard is what I am mainly having a problem with. This is just a rough idea. No charge Solar Beam is for coverage against waters, while Flamethrower is its main STAB. Protect is for scouting but Dragon Pulse allows for more coverage. Air Slash just adds another coverage move with STAB.

Vensaur - Black Sludge
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 72 Hp / 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 180 Spe
Nature: Timid
- Growth
- HP Fire
- Giga Drain
Sleep Powder/ Sludge Wave

Venusaur pairs well with Charizard Y's Drought as it's double speed will ensure it will outspeed almost everything. Growth in sunlight doubles his Special Attack. HP Fire takes care of other Grass and Ice counters. Giga Drain is his main move, allowing for healing as well. Sleep powder can phase out other pokemon while Sludge Wave allows for another STAB attacking move.

Snorlax - Chesto Berry
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Hp / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Nature: Careful
- Stockpile
- Rest
- Crunch
Belly Drum

This set relies on Snorlax's defenses, and with Espeon's Reflect/Light Screen it's bulk is increased. Stockpile increases both defenses one stage with each use. Rest allows for healing with Chesto Berry limiting it to a one turn rest. When defenses are high enough Belly Drum can be used to max attack followed by a Rest if needed. Crunch is his only attacking move but with max attack it can really do some damage.