• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Team Building Help Thread

McDanger

Bringing this back again

Follow standard RMT rules which can be found here

Post sets in the format of
Pokemon @ Item
Ability:
EVs:
Nature:
- move
- move
- move
- move

please provide a detailed description of what your pokemon does of at least three sentences.

Allieon

Best Eeveelution
Reeee posting!

Hi guys! I have been playing around with some 6 gen mons and have been able to come up with three that work really well together. However, the other three members of the team are neither EV trained nor any good so I would like to replace them with three new members that assist with the strategy I am using and give me good type coverage. However, I do not know which mons would work best so I am hoping you all could help me out.

Since I have more than one pokemon, I've put my team and strategy inside a spoiler. If you don't mind the hassle, I would really appreciate if suggestions were PMed to me so I'll get an email every time someone suggests something. Though, you don't have to of course. :p

Anyways, team is below! To anyone willing to help me out, I sincerely thank you in advance! :D

Klefki - Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: HP 252 / Def 68 / Sp.D 188.
Nature: Impish
- Foul Play
- Thunder Wave
- Swagger
- Substitute

I swear, SwagKey is the funnest set I have ever used. Not only does it spread paralysis and confusion, but it also has the ability to sweep entire unprepared teams with ease. I always lead off with klefki and start with a sub in case my opponent switches. If they switch, good! I get to keep my sub for a bit. If not, I will likely lose my sub and simply go for swagger next turn before setting up another sub. Sometimes klefki dies quickly, sometimes she doesn't. However no matter what happens, she does do some amount of damage to the other team before going out in a blaze of glory. Also, she's shiny. So don't bother telling me to breed another klefki. :p

Ditto - Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
EVs: HP 252 /
Nature: Quirky
- Transform

Ditto works surprisingly well with SwagKey and often takes out half a team before going down because of my strategy. Basically, when I have klefki out, if the opponent sends out a physical sweeper I simply go straight for swagger and then wait for klefki to go down. Once klefki is gone, I switch to ditto who then gets the attack boost from swagger and the speed from choice scarf upon transforming into the opponent's pokemon. Naturally, this is a terrifying combination and is likely to take out at least two pokemon before I either run out of PP or faint. Every time this strategy works, I either win, get close to winning but lose because of my other team members being terrible, or face mysterious connection problems that end the battle. I haven't ever heard of a strategy like this being used before, and was pretty cool to discover by chance how well it works.

Greninja - Expert Belt (Will replace with life orb soon)
Ability: Protean
EVs: Sp.Atk 252 / Spe 252 / Atk 4
Nature: Hasty
- Surf (Will replace with Hydro Pump)
- Ice Beam
- U Turn
- Dark Pulse

Greninja works well as a sweeper due to it's blazing speed and amazing special attack. I don't really have much to say about her besides the fact that she hits hard but is too frail to stay in long. I use U Turn whenever I am predicting a switch or revenge killing, Ice Beam to take down dragons, Surf when I want something neutral, and Dark Pulse when nothing else works. Most of the time, she is able to finish the job the others started, but sometimes things just don't work out due to her frailty and I end up having to rely on the untrained members to finish up the job... which usually doesn't go well.

So, those are the big three who are trained and tested. I want to add some bulkier pokemon to the team in order to take some annoying hits and dish out some damage. Due to Klefki's priority t-wave, I am thinking of using air slash togekiss as one member, but I'm really not sure. Can I get some opinions on who would round out the team? I'm still pretty new at this, after all! Thanks!

Last edited:

Desdyni

If you can't tell I'm horribly new to this. Constructive criticism is welcome. I can use all the help I can get.

Wigglytuff
Impish, Cute Charm
-Hyper Voice
-Sing
-Wake Up Slap
-Rest

I want wigglytuff to be my main poke. I'm really not sure how to choose movesets that work together. Hence why I posted here.

Blissey
Bold, Natural Cure
-Soft Boiled
-Protect
-Counter
-Egg Bomb

I don't know if egg bomb is such a good choice. It seems like it would be okay.

Sylveon
Timid, Pixelate
-Moonblast
-Draining Kiss
-Shadow Ball
-Hyper Beam

I kind of randomly chose Hyper beam.

Flaaffy -evolite
Modest, Static
-Thunderbolt
-Lightscreen
-Signal Beam
-Charge

Calm Porygon and Mew are going to take my last two slots, I'll figure those out as the pokebank becomes available.

Thank you very much.

kufi

Can somebody help me with the last spot for my competitive OU team? (I'm not sure if I should post movesets or not so I won't) I have mega gardevoir, ferrothorn, magnezone, Talonflame, and starmie.

Gengarite

So far I have a gengar timid with 252 sp.att and speed, a mega mawile adamant with 252 ATT and speed. I'm also thinking of using goodra with assault vest and 252 hp and sp.att and modest nature. Any suggestions on what Pokemon to add to this team and ways to improve the current ones?

I812

I herd u liek mudkip
I'm currently trying to build a team for rating battles and i need some advice. Here's my progress so far.

Aegislash -Shell Bell
Stance Change, Bold
-Aerial ace
-Night Slash
-Iron Defense
-Autotomize
I picked this because i heard it was good.

Gengar -Gengarite
Levitate, Calm
-Shadow Ball
-Dream Eater
-Dark Pulse
-Destiny Bond
I honestly have no idea why I picked this one.

A Japanese Alakazam -Twisted Spoon
Synchronize, Bashful
-Future sight
-Psybeam
-Reflect
-Psychic
I've picked this one because i've been seeing this pokémon alot recently. And i don't know why.

Steelix -Stone Plate.
Rock head, Impish
-Iron Tail
-Double-Edge
-Stealth Rock
-Rock Slide
I needed something to lie down stealth rocks.

Wobbuffet -Quick Claw
Shadow Tag, Sassy
-Mirror Coat
-Counter
-Safeguard
-Destiny Bond
I picked this one because of the Anime.

Greninja -Rocky Helmet
Torrent, Modest
-Extrasensory
-Substitute
-Scald
-Mat Block
I picked this one because i've had this pokémon utterly Annihilate me in the past.

Any suggestions, advice, or criticism helps, Thanks. Oh and sorry for the short descriptions. I got lazy.

Last edited:

piranhaheat

Smeargle - Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 Spd / 186 HP / 72 Def
Jolly Nature
- Sticky Web
- Spore
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
I'm actually not too fond of this lead. I'd much rather run Mamoswine as a lead, but this is the one I need the most insight on.

Talonflame- Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 92 HP / 164 Spd / 252 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Tailwind
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn

Alakazam - Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam

Mawile - Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Clawitzer - Expert Belt
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 252 SAtk / 164 HP / 92 Spd
Modest Nature
- Water Pulse
- Aura Sphere
- Dark Pulse
- Dragon Pulse

Gourgeist-Small - Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 184 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Seed Bomb
- Pain Split
- Leech Seed

This is a team to play with my friends. I don't expect it to be godly, but a little bit on the different side. I do however want insight on Smeargle as my lead, and I'm also not too keen on Alakazam. Thanks :)

LexSuicune

Feraligatr Master
Quick help here, just looking for a Pokemon member to balance my team out.

So far my competitive team consists of Florges, Greninja, Amaura, Aegislash and Goodra.

I need a Mega Pokemon that can help balance it out, their weaknesses mainly.

Here's my first attempt at building a competitive team. I only have chosen 4 at the moment, and am looking for ideas for the last two slots. I'm horribly new at the competitive scene and any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Lucario - Lucarionite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Crunch
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance

Main sweeper. Lucario's role is to find opportunities to set up and wreak havoc. Thinking of using a specially-oriented Mega-Luke, but Greninja fills that role I guess.

Greninja - Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Grass Knot
- U-turn
- Ice Beam

Greninja comes in with its Protean STAB moves to help Lucario look for opportunities to set up. Thinking of using him as my main lead, using a wide coverage of STAB moves to clear threats while taking advantage of U-turn to maintain momentum when switching out.

Tyranitar - Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Pursuit
- Payback
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

With maximum SDef investment, Tyranitar's role is a special tank. It comes in to check specially-oriented threats and hit back hard with STAB Stone Edge and Payback. Pursuit is used to trap common ghosts such as Gengar.

Gliscor - Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 40 Def / 224 Spd
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Taunt
- Knock-off

Typical physical defensive set with Knock-off to maim item dependent physical threats such as Scizor and Azumarill. Taunt is there to annoy hazard setting pokes such as SR Skarmory and Ferrothorn who would usually switch in to the usual SubToxic Gliscor without problems and set up hazards.

I'm looking at probably a revenge killer and wish support pokemon for the last two slots, but I'm currently drawing a blank at choosing which ones. The ones on top of my head are Choice Banded Talonflame and Serene Grace Togekiss and have been using them during test play, although I am not sure if there are better options available.

Last edited:

Arceus500

I'm currently trying to build a team for rating battles and i need some advice. Here's my progress so far.

Aegislash -Shell Bell
Stance Change, Bold
-Aerial ace
-Night Slash
-Iron Defense
-Autotomize
I picked this because i heard it was good.

Gengar -Gengarite
Levitate, Calm
-Shadow Ball
-Dream Eater
-Dark Pulse
-Destiny Bond
I honestly have no idea why I picked this one.

A Japanese Alakazam -Twisted Spoon
Synchronize, Bashful
-Future sight
-Psybeam
-Reflect
-Psychic
I've picked this one because i've been seeing this pokémon alot recently. And i don't know why.

Steelix -Stone Plate.
Rock head, Impish
-Iron Tail
-Double-Edge
-Stealth Rock
-Rock Slide
I needed something to lie down stealth rocks.

Wobbuffet -Quick Claw
Shadow Tag, Sassy
-Mirror Coat
-Counter
-Safeguard
-Destiny Bond
I picked this one because of the Anime.

Greninja -Rocky Helmet
Torrent, Modest
-Extrasensory
-Substitute
-Scald
-Mat Block
I picked this one because i've had this pokémon utterly Annihilate me in the past.

Any suggestions, advice, or criticism helps, Thanks. Oh and sorry for the short descriptions. I got lazy.

Your reasons for chossing a pokemon is too bland. Your not supposed to use a pokemon just because its overpowered in the anime. The way of battling in the anime is way different than in the games. And also some of your movesets and natures are wrong and you didnt post EV's.Below, are sets for each pokemon:

Aegislash@Shell bell/Lefties
252 ATT,252 HP, 4 DEF
Stance Change,Adamant
-Kings Shield
-Swords Dance
-Shadow Claw
-Sacred Sword
This is the set I used to use. This set is very powerful, but is easily destroyed by anything with Taunt, Foul Play or WoW.And so, this is the set I use now:

Aegislash@Life Orb
252 SP.A, 252 HP, 4 ATT or 252 HP, 186 ATT, 69 SP.A
Stance Change, Quiet
-Kings Shield
-Shadow Ball
-Flash Cannon/Automize/Head Smash/Rock Slide/Shadow Sneak/Pursuit
-Sacred Sword
This set is more wall breaking then sweeping . It has a lot of power breaking through some of the Pokemon that previously annihilated me. You can go for either Flash Cannon or Automize, but since he will be running Quiet nature, his speed stat is pretty low. And even if you outspeed a pokemon, you might not OHKO it, and then you get OHKOed back in your Blade stance. And, Gengar already takes care of Fairies, so any of the other options is better. Head Smash allows him to OHKO Mandibuzz and Talonflame which can cause problems for both sets. Rock Slide is a weaker version of Head Smash, but does not have the recoil and is better in doubles. Shadow Sneak lets him finish off weakened oppenents without switching back to Shield Stance, and Pursuit allows him to trap fleeing Psychic and Ghosts. If your running a physical move on the third slot, then use the second set of EV's, if your running Automize or Flash Cannon, use the first set of EV's.

Gengar@Gengarite
252 SP.A, 252 SPE, 4 HP
Levitate to Shadow Tag, Timid
-Shadow Ball
-Sludge Bomb/Sludge Wave
-Focus Blast
-Thunderbolt
Since Gengar is a glass cannon, you have to run Focus Sash to ensure a 2HKO. But since Mega Gengar is very powerful, it can not run FS, and because of that, no Destiny Bond. So this set is entirely based on sweeping. Ghost+Fighting is neutral coverage, and Sludge Wave and Thunderbolt are to deal with more types super-effectively.

Japanese Alakazam@Focus Sash
Magic Guard,Timid
-Psyshock
-Dazzling Gleam
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast
Again, a entirely sweeping set. Pretty straight forward. Psyshock for hitting special walls, Dazzling Gleam for Darks, Dragons and physically defensive fighting types, Shadow Ball to deal with other Psychics and Ghosts, and Focus Blast for steels and again provides neutral coverage.

Smeargle(Lead)@Focus Sash
Technician, Jolly
-Stealth Rock
-Sticky Web
-Spore
-Spikes
Typical Suicide Lead. Not much to say. Gotta go

Last edited:

red2000

Liger Zero!!!
I'm looking to try out some new Pokemon in my competitive battles, I'm just looking for suggestion on EV spreads or even better choices

First is Lead Infenape

Infernape
Ability: Iron Fist
Nature: Jolly /252 Spd, 252 Atk, 4 Atk
Item: Life Orb
Attacks:

-Mach Punch
-Flamethrower/ Fire Blast
-Thunderpunch
-Taunt

Lead Avalugg

Avalugg
Ability: Own Tempo
Nature: Calm/252 Sp Def, 252 HP, 4 Def
Or Bold/ 252 Def, 252 HP, 4 Atk
Item:Leftovers or Rock Helmet or Chesto/Lum

Attacks:

-Curse
-Ice Fang/Gyro Ball/Avalache
-Rest
-Rapid Spin

Toxic-Staller

Florges
Ability: Flower Veil
Nature: Calm/ 252 SpDef, 252 HP, 4 Sp Atk
Item: LeftOvers
Attacks:

-Toxic
-Wish
-Protect
-Moonblast

Next is a bit of a weird one, but I think it could work

Revenge Goodra

Since Goodra already has crazy Sp Def I'm thinking

Goodra
Ability: Hydration or Gooey
Nature: Calm or Modest/ 252 SpDef, 252 SpAtk, 4 Speed
Item: Weakness Policy
Attacks:

-Draco Meteor/Dragon Pulse
-Flamethrower/Fire Blast
-Ice Beam/Thunderbolt
-Sludge Bomb/Sludge Wave

This is sort of a bait and switch maneuver, you kind of have to predict your opponents SE move so you get the boost the same turn and just clean house, my only concern is Goodra's speed

celebiLNS

Hi, I think that this is the best place to this because I'm looking for help to select the last slot of my team.
So my team consists of this:

Tyranitar-Mega (M) Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 206 Def / 50 HP
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Gliscor (F) Toxic Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 251 Spd
Impish Nature
- Protect
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- U-turn

Skarmory (M) Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Spd / 232 Def
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Whirlwind

Gyarados (M) Mystic Water
Ability: Moxie
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Ice Fang
- Waterfall
- Earthquake

Tentacruel (M) Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SDef / 16 Spd
Calm Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes
- Ice Beam
- Scald

Usually I lead with Gliscor so I can scout my opponent's moves, I can go out with U-turn, earthquake stab him or poison him. Then I have Tyranitar and Skarmory as the hazard setters, Mega-Tyranitar and Gyarados as physical sweepers, and I have Tentracruel for the toxic spikes, special wall and rapid spinner. The types I think that are well balanced. Now my question is, What is the best pokemon to complete the team? I've been using Alakazam a special sweeper with this set:

Alakazam (M) Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Charge Beam
- Shadow Ball
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam

But he is to weak in defenses, he doesn't lasts more than 2 turns, I was thinking that maybe a sweeper Espeon with be a better option

Espeon Life Orb
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Or, a dual screens Espeon to lead with (because of the magic bounce) and it can act still as a sweeper beacuse of it's great speed and sp atk

Espeon Light Clay
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Baton Pass
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Psychic

So, what are your opinions in general? Thanks a lot for your help! :)

jshroom

Wigglytuff user near the top of the thread, I'm not an expert either, but I have been training competitive Pokemon for a while now.

Are you sure you want three normal types? Mew and Sylveon will help with fighting types, but you will have a tough time with Lucario and Aegislash especially. I recommend switching out something, maybe Porygon or Mew since you don't have those yet, for a fast physical attacker, like Blaziken or maybe one of the Mega Evolution pokemon.

As for movesets and items, here are my suggestions:

Wigglytuff - Chople Berry
252 HP, 128 DEF, 128 SDEF
Wish
Protect
Toxic
Double Edge

Sing is just so inaccurate! The combo with Wake-Up slap would be powerful, but what if you miss and get 2KO-ed by something with Close Combat or Focus Blast. This set though, this set is mean. Anything that isn't a Steel or Poison is going to die slowly while you heal away its attacks with Wish. Though Hyper Voice works off your higher special attack, Double Edge is probably still your best STAB attack. The Chople Berry will help you survive a Fighting attack.

Blissey - looks good to me! I would give it Leftovers and change Egg Bomb to a strong special move like Fire Blast to finish off a slower Steel type that survives a Counter.

Sylveon - Lax Incense
252 SP ATK, invest the rest in either speed or hp.
Hyper Beam
Moonblast
Psyshock
Calm Mind

Hyper Beam is kind of your only opportunity to use Pixelate. After a couple of Calm Mind boosts, you can pretty much use it like Explosion and just KO everything that doesn't resist you. Psyshock gives you a change to get by special walls, and is super-effective on those awful bulky poison types (I'm looking at you, Venosaur) who otherwise resist all your moves. Lax Incense gives you a bit more survivability to benefit from Calm Mind.

Flaaffy - Eviolite
252 HP, 252 Sp DEF, 4 DEF
Charge Beam
Confuse Ray
Cotton Guard
Signal Beam/Thunder Wave

Start off with a Cotton Guard to get your defense up to respectable levels, then use Confuse Ray, then attack with Charge Beam repeatedly. For the last moveslot, Signal Beam and Power Gem offer coverage, or you could go with Thunder Wave if you want parafusion without relying on Static.

In general, be prepared for common Fighting and Steel types.

Master_Tyrell

First Ever Team

This is my first time creating a competitive team or a good team for random online battles, and also ev training.
So my team is going to be a Rain team, and I won't be using Drizzle Politoed. Also, I looked around the internet for good moveset for my pokemon, so it'll be great if someone can tell me if it they work well and what changes can be made.

Swanna- Damp Rock
Ability- Hydration Nature- Modest
EV: 4 Hp; 252 Sp.atk; 252 Spd
- Rain Dance
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Hurricane

This will set rain dance, giving a boost to scald and 100% accuracy to hurricane. Ice Beam is for coverage on dragons and grass. Rain will also activate its ability and keep it healed in case of a status move.

Galvantula- Focus Sash
Ability- Compound Eyes Nature- Modest
EV: 4 Hp; 252 Sp.atk: 252 Spd
- Bug Buzz
- Sticky Web
- Volt Switch
- Thunder/ Energy Ball

Sticky Web will work as entry hazards to give me advantage on speed. Bug Buzz passes through subs, and volt switch is for scouting. Lastly thunder would have 100% accuracy on rain, and good accuracy even without it thanks to its ability. But energy ball is good against ground types.

Lapras- Undecided
Ability- Shell Armor Nature- Quiet
EV: 4 Hp; 252 Sp.atk; 252 Df
- Freeze Dry
- Psychic
- Surf
- Toxic/ Perish Song

Freeze Dry is the STAB with Surf. Also Freeze Dry is super effective to water types so I can replace thunderbolt or thunder for something else. Psychic is for coverage and neutral damage to some types. Now toxic to cripple the other pokes or perish song to force a switch or an easy win if he only haves one poke and I have more than one. Also a good defensive power.

Jolteon- Magnet
Ability- Volt Absorb Nature- Timid
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Thunder Wave
- Undecided

Thunderbolt works as STAB. Thunder Wave for parahax, and Shadow ball for coverage. Also since I have 2 pokemon with weakness to electric types volt absorb is a safe switch in and also recovers health. The last one is up for suggestions.

Girafarig- Power Herb
Ability- Early Bird Nature- Timid
EV: 4 Hp; 252 Sp. atk; 252 Spd
- Thunderbolt
- Calm Mind
- Baton Pass
- Razor Wind/ Future Sight

Thunderbolt is the attacking move. Calm Mind to set and baton pass to give a boost to the next pokemon. Power Herb if I run Razor Wind a STAB move. Or future sight that deals typeless damage and it received a power boost.

Gothitelle- Light Clay
Ability- Competitive Nature- Modest
EV: 4 Hp; 252 Sp.atk; 252 Sp. df
- Psyshock
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Undefined

Psyshock for STAB and deals with sp. df bulky pokemon. Both screens for extra support and light clay for more turns. The last slot is yet undefined, so I guess it depends what other role it can play.

So that's my improvised rain team. I'll gladly receive constructive criticism and ideas for the things I'm missing and/or can improve on. Thanks a lot in advance :)

Last edited:

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
This is my first time creating a competitive team or a good team for random online battles, and also ev training.
So my team is going to be a Rain team, and I won't be using Drizzle Politoed. Also, I looked around the internet for good moveset for my pokemon, so it'll be great if someone can tell me if it they work well and what changes can be made.

Swanna- Damp Rock
Ability- Hydration Nature- Modest
- Rain Dance
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Hurricane

This will set rain dance, giving a boost to scald and 100% accuracy to hurricane. Ice Beam is for coverage on dragons and grass. Rain will also activate its ability and keep it healed in case of a status move.

Galvantula- Focus Sash
Ability- Compound Eyes Nature- Modest
EV: 4 Hp; 252 Sp.atk: 252 Spd
- Bug Buzz
- Sticky Web
- Volt Switch
- Thunder/ Energy Ball

Sticky Web will work as entry hazards to give me advantage on speed. Bug Buzz passes through subs, and volt switch is for scouting. Lastly thunder would have 100% accuracy on rain, and good accuracy even without it thanks to its ability. But energy ball is good against ground types.

Lapras- Undecided
Ability- Shell Armor Nature- Quiet
EV: 4 Hp; 252 Sp.atk; 252 Df
- Freeze Dry
- Psychic
- Surf
- Toxic/ Perish Song

Freeze Dry is the STAB with Surf. Also Freeze Dry is super effective to water types so I can replace thunderbolt or thunder for something else. Psychic is for coverage and neutral damage to some types. Now toxic to cripple the other pokes or perish song to force a switch or an easy win if he only haves one poke and I have more than one. Also a good defensive power.

Jolteon- Magnet
Ability- Volt Absorb Nature- Timid
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Thunder Wave
- Undecided

Thunderbolt works as STAB. Thunder Wave for parahax, and Shadow ball for coverage. Also since I have 2 pokemon with weakness to electric types volt absorb is a safe switch in and also recovers health. The last one is up for suggestions.

Girafarig- Power Herb
Ability- Early Bird Nature- Timid
EV: 4 Hp; 252 Sp. atk; 252 Spd
- Thunderbolt
- Calm Mind
- Baton Pass
- Razor Wind/ Future Sight

Thunderbolt is the attacking move. Calm Mind to set and baton pass to give a boost to the next pokemon. Power Herb if I run Razor Wind a STAB move. Or future sight that deals typeless damage and it received a power boost.

Gothitelle- Light Clay
Ability- Competitive Nature- Modest
EV: 4 Hp; 252 Sp.atk; 252 Sp. df
- Psyshock
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Undefined

Psyshock for STAB and deals with sp. df bulky pokemon. Both screens for extra support and light clay for more turns. The last slot is yet undefined, so I guess it depends what other role it can play.

So that's my improvised rain team. I'll gladly receive constructive criticism and ideas for the things I'm missing and/or can improve on. Thanks a lot in advance :)

This team might work; I haven't tried it out. But I see several glaring issues with this team:

- You have chosen 6 very frail Pokemon, and they don't have any wall support to tank hits for them.

- You have two huge weaknesses: Electric and Fighting. Electric-types and Grass-types aren't very common in Wifi battles, I'll give you that, but Electric moves and Fighting Pokemon are. When you use a Rain team, you usually have a lot of Water-types, and you've set yourself up to get hit by the Thunder attacks that you want to use, so you need to think about that.

- You're using too many of the same-type Pokemon: Water and Electric. If your opponent sends out a Mega Venusaur or a Ferrothorn, you're in trouble, because Venusaur can both tank hits and hit hard, AND both of these Pokemon are resistant to your Water and Electric attacks, and Ferrothorn to Psychic attacks. Mega Venusaur could destroy your whole team without Galvantula. But, that doesn't mean your team is bad. It just means it's weak to Venusaur. No team is perfect.

- You have three Pokemon that are made to set-up: Girafarig, Gothitelle, and Swanna. In battles, you usually have time for one or two Pokemon to set up, and usually that Pokemon is your lead. This is why Sand Stream Tyranitar is so popular - his Ability sets up the Sandstorm while he sets up Stealth Rock, therefore saving you a move. If more than one Pokemon sets up, then you are wasting precious time and moves, because while you're still setting up 6 moves down the line, your opponent is sweeping you. Think about how many set-up moves you have to do: Rain Dance, Reflect, Light Screen, Calm Mind... that's 4 set-up moves, IF you only use Calm Mind once. The other problem here is the frailty of your Pokemon. You might be able to make all of that set-up work, IF you didn't choose frail Pokemon. Your Pokemon could all be taken out by a boosted Earthquake or Close Combat before you even get to attack.

- On the frailty of your Pokemon - you REALLY need a Wall. You need something that will tank hits, because most of your Pokemon can be OHKO'd. I recommend Ferrothorn because in Rain, you lessen his Fire weakness, making him weak only to Fighting, with 9 Resistances, notably Dragon and Fairy, and he's not affected by Poison at all. However, this does add another Fighting-weakness to your team, which is bad.

- Lapras. Lapras can either be really good or really bad. If I were you, I would be dumping ALL of its EVs into HP and Special Attack. Lapras has a Stealth Rock weakness and a weakness to Fighting, but its Ice Beams can do some damage. Also, you have a Rain Team. Lapras needs Hydration, not Shell Armor! People are going to want to status it. Also, you want to use Perish Song on Lapras. This is a problem for two reasons: 1), it will only work on the last Pokemon, because your opponent can just switch out and 2) Lapras has to survive for three turns if you use it, which most of the time, it is not capable of doing because of all of its weaknesses. If you want to use Perish Song, the best Pokemon to do it with is Mega Gengar, because Mega Gengar has Shadow Tag as its ability, preventing your opponent from switching.

- Girafarig. If you want to pass Calm Minds, Girafarig is not the Pokemon to do it. A Baton Passer needs to be able to take hits while it sets up, and Girafarig is not capable of doing this at all. A good Calm Mind passer is Magic Bounce Espeon.

- You are also missing a good Sweeper. Scizor would be a good choice for you because the Rain covers his 4x Fire weakness.

There are some things I do like about your team. Galvantula is a beast and I hate facing him. He's fast and he hits hard, and he's a great choice for your Rain Team because he has two weaknesses: Rock and Fire, and you're negating his fire weakness with the rain. Galvantula is a great choice.

Swanna is often overlooked, but she can be powerful. However, Swanna is also frail, and she might take a hit after setting up Rain Dance. If I were you, I would choose a different Pokemon to set up Rain Dance and use Swanna to spam Hurricane later. Or you could just use Dragonite for Hurricane.

It seems like you've put a lot of thought into this and I'm not saying your team won't work, because I haven't tested it out. Good luck!

Last edited:

Master_Tyrell

Thanks a lot Varanus! I can see were you're going with the frailty of my pokemon, I didn't put much thought since when I say competitive I mean battles against people that built decent teams and know about online strategies and all, but I'm sure I'll be up against a problem regarding that is just I didn't thought that deep. Thanks for pointing that out.

The point of set up pokemons. I never visualized myself setting all of them, I think that what I should always do is set rain and the sticky web. The screens and calm mind passing are on safe occasions or a last move when i'm sure it will die next turn. So, maybe with Magic Bounce Espeon I can at least set Reflect and also pass on calm mind, that way I can free a slot for a Sweeper.

With the weakness to electric moves. I knew about it, that's where Volt absorb comes in, that is if I can predict the move. But you have a point, what can I do when Jolteon is gone. I'll have to work on that. Maybe making the change with Espeon and safely placing reflect might stabilize my defensive weakness, specially the fighting type since most of them are physical.

About Lapras. I thought about it, Lapras haves great Hp so I guess improving it is best, I'll dump the last 4 EV to defense then. About the ability. I knew Hydration was the way to go, but I don't have access to the egg moves freeze dry. I do to the ability though. I'll have to check out and find a way to breed it with the IV the one I'm going to use have. One last thing here. I got confused, should I use Perish song or not? In the beginning you wrote I should but, then at the end, from what I understood, you say it won't be useful. If you can, please explain it a bit more if i should or shouldn't use it.

Lastly about Sweeper. Scizor is looking like the best candidate. I'll have to find a good one and breed for at least 3 good IV. The only problem I have is that I don't have people near to trade with that understands I need to evolve it and that's all.

I'm glad you like Galvantula. I think it's great overall with good moves and a good typing fitting for a rain team. Swanna is also underrated and I think is very cool, haves great moves and a good ability to go with rain. Theonly downside is the 4x weakness to electric.

Thanks a lot for taking you're time to look at my team. I'm sure it needs improvements. I'll work on what you said and see what I can take out and what to put in. But I'll do it after testing my team out since I'm still ev training them. After I've done that for a bit I'll decide what changes are needed according to your judgement, which is greatly appreciated and reliable. Thanks again for your time.

Rayinuya

Hi, this is my first competitive team ever, and while it's been holding up okay on showdown, a lot of times I find myself walled or horribly defeated. I do know I should get another physical attacker, though I'm not sure what pokemon exactly to get rid of and then what to replace it with, so maybe someone could help? The hold items were also chosen at near random, so possible suggestions for those for existing pokemon would be helpful.

Klefki w/ Air Balloon
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Protect
- Foul Play
- Swagger

Klefki is usually my lead, and I try to use a Thunder Wave/ Swagger/Foul Play combo as many times as I can before she gets knocked out. Protect is used for move scouting when Foul Play isn't effective. When she works, she works really great, but she is frail so she gets knocked out fast (though I suppose that's the point).

Charizard-Mega-X w/ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Roar
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- Outrage

My only physical attacker on the team, who doesn't tend to last long. Flare Blitz and Outrage are powerful type coverage moves I like while Earthquake was used as a filler move and for some extra type coverage. Roar is used for getting rid of stat changes, though I had it as Roost for a while to gain some hp back from recoil or confusion damage.

Gliscor w/ Toxic Orb
EVs: 184 Def / 252 HP / 72 Spd
Impish Nature
- Ice Fang
- Toxic
- Stone Edge
- Taunt

I stuck him on here for the sole purpose of countering Talonflames which is what Stone edge is for; I haven't encountered any yet though, so don't know how good he is at that yet. I also use him to switch in on common status inflictors, and use Toxic to get them right back or Taunt before I switch out. Ice fang is for other Gliscors.

Gengar w/ Wise Glasses
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Hex
- Sludge Bomb
- Dark Pulse
- Haze

Gengar is pretty much a filler, only chosen for Hex, to play off the status conditions inflicted by the others; and for Haze, to get rid of stat changes when Charizard faints. Sludge Bomb gives him a chance to poison while inflicting damage on healthy targets. Dark Pulse is a filler for some type coverage.

Starmie w/ Wacan Berry
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Flash Cannon
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psychic

Sole purpose was for rapid spin, and then for some type coverage moves that other rapid spinners didn't have. It's sometimes used as a switch in for certain fighting types when used against Lapras, or used as a water switch in when Lapras isn't available. I generally don't use it much, so it's pretty much a filler.

Lapras w/ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Toxic
- Ice Beam
- Surf
- Thunderbolt

Replacing my Wish-Vaporeon, Lapras is my switch in for water, ice, or grass types that my Gliscor or Starmie would have problems with. Thunderbolt is for getting other water types after switching in on them and absorbing the hit. Surf and Ice Beam are filler STAB moves. Toxic is to be a general nuisance and to help out Gengar's Hex. All-in-all, Lapras is probably the most useful pokemon on my team, despite type weakness.

Last edited:

Playful Latios

@Soul Dew
Have you ever tried using Dual Screen Klefki instead? It can be so helpful for the rest of your team. A lot of the Pokemon you are using are quite fragile where the screens would help a lot.

I really see Roar as a waste on Charizard. It isn't really meant to take hits like that. You need to take advantage of its ability more. I believe Dragon Dance would be more helpful because it is going to raise your Attack and Speed which Charizard needs to get KOs.

Gliscor I would drop Taunt and give it Protect. Not only is it an additional turn they will take poison damage, it is also a turn you will heal your HP by 12.5%.

Gengar is not meant for taking hits. Hazing is not a characteristic Gengar is good at because of its below average defenses. You want to focus on its offensive capabilities. Hex I would strongly recommend changing to Shadow Ball because you can reliably inflict damage without forcing the opponent to be status conditioned to dish out better damage. It also has more PP and a chance to lower their SDef. Haze I would change to Thunderbolt because that gives some coverage against Water and Flying-types. Dark Pulse does not really expand the coverage when paired with a Ghost-type move. You might give Dazzling Gleam a try because that will give you something better to hit Dark-types with if you choose to stay in against them. With how frail Gengar is, I'd also recommend a Life Orb for an item to increase its damage output.

You say you are looking for a physical attacker. Maybe I could interest you in Tyranitar? With its typing it can easily survive Brave Bird and Flare Blitz coming from Talonflame. The only thing it could do against you is use U-Turn. Tyranitar could also set up Stealth Rock since I noticed you do not have that on your team. It could even be your Mega Pokemon for your team.

Soul18655

Flawless Hunter
Hey I could use some help make an competitive team. I know for sure I want an adamant technician scizor with 252 ev's in attack and speed. Along with a magic bounce espeon to set up reflect and light screen. Other then that I'm stuck. I was thinking of have a skarmory with stealth rock. But that would make me weak against fire. Any thought would help thanks.

Master_Tyrell

Professor Dragonexpert...... I never thought of Klefki. I was actually talking about them not too long ago, I believe this is the best choice for a screener. Thanks a lot :)