• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Team Building Help Thread

Ryuken

Steel User
Going mono Bug type. Single mostly. So here we go with this mess:

1)Scolipede (Fish bait)
@Black Sludge
Ability: Speed Boost
Nature: Calm
IVs: I forgot, +Def +Sp. Defense, +Speed
EVs: 252 Def, 100 Sp. Def, 152 Speed.

Moves
Baton Pass
Protect
Swords Dance
Substitute

Role: Stalker, Bait

Fish bait here will boost Megacross' Speed to make it a sweeper. It sets up 2 Swords and a Sub. Then it Baton Passes to Heracross/ other physical attacker. The problem is: It has to survive.

2) Heracross (.35Calib)
@Heracronite
Ability: Swarm -> Skill Link
Nature: Adamant
IVs: Except Special Attack
EVs: 252 Attack 100 Defense 100 Sp. Def 52 Speed

Moves:
Bullet Seed (125 power, 100 accuracy!!!)
Rock Blast
Pin Middle
Close Combat.

Role: Mega, Scolipede Boosted Sweeper.

After Fishbait Baton passes, the Sub will take care of any threat to Megacross (except Talonflame). It Mega Evolves and Boom! Takes out any threat.

3) Volcarona (Fusion Bomb)
@ Focus Sash
Ability: Flame Body
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 Sp. Att 252 SPD
IVs:

Moves:
Fiery Dance
Bug Buzz
Psychic

Rage Powder in Doubles and Triples.*

Role: Special Sweeper

If things go wrong, Fusion takes care of this. Scolipede could throw in some speed and a Sub. This makes it wreck non special walls. These moves will destroy them.

I have Pinsir and planning on Sci or. GTG will edit post later

I have some experience on monotype, but only with Smogon's format (Was top 5 in the ladder for a while in showdown), hope this criticism still helps.

First of all, you need to consider you will see flying in monotype, a lot. And with flying, comes one of Bug's most feared predators, Skarmory.
Skarmory will wall most of your valid team members (Or outright kill them with Brave Bird) and whirlwind away your Scolipede after setting up Stealth Rocks without much issues.
Lastly, not only Skarm can pull this off, you will often will just be taunted/whirlwind'd or roared out of the way.

So for this, you can not simply slap a batton pass and a couple focus sashes in a team and expect it to work.
I would recommend adding:

Forretress
252 HP/ 252 Def or Sp.Def
Stealth Rock (A must in this tier)
Rapid Spin (Mandatory, your bugs get destroyed by rocks)
Volt Switch (You need U-Turn for offensive initiative, since bug can't really go defensive)

Or
Scizor (You can go without mega-evolving but you loose a lot of bulk)
252 HP/ 252 Def or Sp.Def
Defog (Same or even better as rapid spin)
Roost (Longevity)
Bullet Punch
Knock off or U-Turn

Both are highly resistance and can often pull of a defog/rapid spin and save your team from rock annihilation.

Now that we have that out of the way, we continue with Scolipede.
Instead of using that spread, I suggest going for 252HP and 252 Spe. That way you avoid getting hit by scarfers. (Since you lack Iron Defense).
Also, keep in mind that since you are not carrying Iron Defense or Focus Sash, Scolipede will easily get fainted before he can do much besides passing speed (And therefore, any wall will cripple Heracross/Volcaronoa)

Now, while getting bulk to Heracross seems nice at first (Considering you don't need speed investment with scolipede) you can't simply give all your hopes to scolipede passing the stats.
For that, i suggest:
252 Atk. / 252 Spe.
You can go full bulk as well (252HP/252 Atk) but you will have troubles outspeeding walls with speed investment.
And while bullet seed seems appealing as well for taking care of pesky bulky water times, often running substitute instead can save heracross'es life.

And if you don't like Heracross speed, you can always use Beedril, that while it isn't as strong, it is way faster and has access to U-turn. (Not to mention it easily handles fairy pokemon)

Next, Volcaronoa:
Either go timid, or invest on the much needed bulk.
One of Volcaronoa's qualities is that with some bulk, it alone can sweep certain teams that depend too much in special attackers, (Poor Mono Electric :( ) so it is recommended you invest in its HP/Defense to allow it to survive hits.
Or instead, you can choose to go timid, and avoid getting hit by choice scarf stone edges. (Focus sash will save you while setting up, but wont save you from a choice scarf hit or a strong priority move)
As for psychic, I would recommend dropping it and going for giga draing, or HP ground. While HP ground seems weird at first, its a really good option for heatran, and pretty much ensures an insta-win against mono steel after rocks (If you are running bulk, if not bisharp + Scizor take care of you)

Now, If you are looking for extra team members, I recommend using Genesect as glue (I haven't played in a while, but Im pretty sure he is not banned in mono-bug anymore)
Genesect (Choice scarf)
252spe/252 sp.atk
Ice Beam
U-Turn/Bug Buzz (Bug buzz utterly destroys Mono-Dark and Mono-Psychic)
Thunderbolt
Flamethrower

As for your talonflame problem, (He is banned on monotype, but you will still see it a lot in wi-fi) you have very little options.
More often than not you will need to hope he kills itself with recoil (Forcing him to attack instead of roosting) or using gimmicky pokemon like armaldo.

Hope these suggestions help a bit, regardless of what tier you end up choosing.

imran3

Nothing much...
I really think your criticism is great. If I get OR then I'll take in Beedrill. Pinsir is nothing, I'll keep normal Her across and keep scizor for now. When Custap berry releases, well you know. Volcarona will be changed obviously. Can you please give me a Scolipede move set? Thanks :D

Yogi Bear

King of Poke Games
This is an OU Generational Team: one Pokemon is taken from each of the six generations. I know this is possible because I've done it before in OU with great success in XY.

My problem is choosing something from the 5th generation for OU. I don't particularly WANT to use Legendaries but I will if they fit the role and team well enough.

Currently:
Ray Magini (Gengar) (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 8 HP / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hex
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sludge Wave

SandyClaws (Scizor) (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower

Rhaegal (Sceptile) (M) @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Kenmore (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Maya Fey (Sylveon) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 SpD
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect

Ray Magini (Gengar) (M) @ Black Sludge
EVs: 8 HP / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hex
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sludge Wave

Tyranitar (F) @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch
- Ice Beam
- Earthquake

Rhaegal (Sceptile) (M) @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Kenmore (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Wilhelm Oswald (Excadrill) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
- Rock Slide

Maya Fey (Sylveon) (F) @ Leftovers
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SpD
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect

Sceptile was chosen because I intend to use this team as in-game as well. Grass/Dragon is a cool typing and I wanted to give it a shot.

From there, I decided to pick the 6th generation 'mon because there are so few of them to choose from. I picked Sylveon because it was something I also wanted to try out. It's better at handling Fire and Dragon attacks than Sceptile.

From there, I needed some defense against Poison because both members were weak to it. I chose Scizor who doubles as the team's revenge killer as well as adding some physical offensive might to the team. He's immune to Poison and doesn't need Roost as much because of Sylveon's Clerical nature.

I forget honestly why I chose Gengar, other than being easy to acquire and giving some offensive might versus Fairies.

Rotom-W forms a Voltturn core with Scizor as well as providing Gengar with status support for Hex.

Dropped Scizor in favor of a T-tar/Excadrill Sand core. This changes the Poison immunity to excadrill and makes me a bit less resilient to fighting, but Sylveon and Gengar cover that well enough. It takes out the Voltturn core in favor of some sand sweeping potential.

But I have no idea what to put into that fifth generation slot. Please VM me suggestions and comments, as I'm more likely to see them there.

Last edited:
TEAM Wanderers

Mega Sceptile
Ability: Unburden / Unreleased
EVs: 252 Sp Def / 252 SpA / 4 Speed
- Focus Blast
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Subsitute

Ninetails w/ Leftovers (sp. Attacker)
Ability: Drought
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Speed / 120 Sp. Att
- Dark Pulse
- Solar Beam
- Fire Blast
- Nasty Plot
I will use solar beam on water types and ground types. I will use fire blast on grass types. Nasty plot and dark pulse are there to attack psychic and dark type pokemon. Drought allows me to use solar beam right away and left overs helps me stay alive a little longer. Leftovers will help keep Ninetails alive longer.

Gardevoir w/ Choice Specs (choice attacker)
Ability: Telepathy
EVs:
- Moonblast
- Shadowball
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
I have Moonblast on to deal damage to dragon type pokemon. Having Dragonite and Gardevoir on my team will leave my opponents surprised. Shadowball I will use to attack other psychic types. Psychic is there to stab. And Thunderbolt is there to damage water type pokemon.

Dragonite w/ Lum Berry (dragon dancer attacker)
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Speed / 252 Att / 4 Def
- Outrage
- Dragon Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
I have DD there to set up a sweep to use my dragonite. Outrage is my stab attack. I will then follow with Earthquake or Outrage depending on the opponent. I have extreme speed if I need to out pace a quick opponent. I have lum berry to snap out of confusion from outrage.

Gengar w/ Black Sludge (sweeper)
EVs: 252 Speed / 248 Sp. A / 8 HP
-Hex
-Substitute
-Taunt
-Will-o-wisp
I already have Sludge Bomb on M. Venusaur, so I figured having Substitute would work best on Gengar. Gengar is the Pokemon I’d hope to bring out mid game to use taunt and will o wisp and then switch out. Gengar’s main role is to use Hex and deal as much damage as possible quickly. Subsitute is there to help me switch out with not taking a lot of damage.

Zoroark w/ Choice Specs (staller)
Ability: Illusion
EVs: 252 Sp. Att / 252 Speed / Sp. Def
-Knight Daze
-Flame Thrower
-Trick
-Focus Blast

Last edited:

Erebos

Hey, I'm new to competitive battling and this forum but I would like to start. I currently have five members of my team and would like to know what you all think the sixth should be: (Playing my friends next week with the rule that we get 1 legendary)

1. Darkrai
Ability: Bad Dreams
Nature: Rash
Evs: Sp.Atk 363 / Speed 297 / Defence 225 / Sp.Defence 196 /
-Dark Void
-Ice Beam
-Dark Pulse
-Psychic

2. Crobat (Not fully levelled yet, Lvl 76)
Ability: Inner Focus
Nature: Lonely
EVs: Attack 203 / Speed 245
-Acrobatics
-Confuse Ray
-Fly
-Cross Poison

3. Metagross (Lv 79)
Ability: Clear Body
Evs: Attack 223 / Defence 239 / Speed 163
-Rock Smash
-Hammer Arm
-Psychic
-Iron Defense

4. Kindra (Lv 72)
Ability: Swift Swim
Nature: Hasty
Evs: Attack 190 / Speed 159
- Hydro Pump
-Waterfall
-Rain Dance
-Surf

Blaziken (Lv 82) Blazikenite
Nature: Sassy
Evs: Attack 235 / Sp.Atk 223 / Speed 153 (non-mega)
-Sky Uppercut
-Earthquake
-Blaze Kick
-Swords Dance

Thanks

Hey, I'm new to competitive battling and this forum but I would like to start. I currently have five members of my team and would like to know what you all think the sixth should be: (Playing my friends next week with the rule that we get 1 legendary)

1. Darkrai
-Dark Void
-Ice Beam
-Dark Pulse
-Psychic

-Acrobatics
-Confuse Ray
-Fly
-Cross Poison

3. Metagross (Lv 79)
-Rock Smash
-Hammer Arm
-Psychic
-Iron Defense

4. Kindra (Lv 72)
- Hydro Pump
-Waterfall
-Rain Dance
-Surf

-Sky Uppercut
-Earthquake
-Blaze Kick
-Swords Dance

Thanks
a pure fairy type would be good on your team or a ghost type pokemon. this looks like an in-game team since i saw rock smash. look at smogon or pokemon of the week on serebii for build ideas.

Aeon™

Rock Ultimate

1. Darkrai
-Dark Void
-Ice Beam
-Dark Pulse
-Psychic

-Acrobatics
-Confuse Ray
-Fly
-Cross Poison

3. Metagross (Lv 79)
-Rock Smash
-Hammer Arm
-Psychic
-Iron Defense

4. Kindra (Lv 72)
- Hydro Pump
-Waterfall
-Rain Dance
-Surf

-Sky Uppercut
-Earthquake
-Blaze Kick
-Swords Dance

Thanks

Yeah like user Pokefan123456 said, that really looks like an in-game team and not a competitive team. That being said, I'm also going to go further with user Pokefan123456's recommendation and suggest a Sylveon. This provides you with a bulkier pokemon that you can use as a pivot, and allows you to get some wish passing going on.

Sylveon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SpD
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Also, for future reference, when you post the number of EVs for a set, you should be reporting the number of EVs in that stat, not the stats themselves. Those stats tell me nothing.

TheKnightsFury

TheKnightsFury
Need some help building my doubles team. It has been doing alright but I feel like it could do better.

The core

Mega Metagross
Item: metagrossite
Nature:adamant
Ability: clear body (tough claws)
Evs: 252 hp/252 att/4 spd
Meteor mash
Zen headbutt
Hammer arm
Protect

Really love megagross has been doing really well, doesn't care about intimidate leads and dishes out the pain, I chose bulk over speed for survivability it can tank earthquakes and fireblasts off a lot of pokemon and survive. Meteor mash is stab and the occasional attack boost is nice, zen headbutt is secondary stab and smashes things like amonguss and gengar. Hammer arm is for kangaskhan and steel types. Considering removing zen headbutt for ice punch.

Togekiss
Item: sitrus berry
Nature: calm
Ability: serene grace
Evs: 252 hp/ 252 spdf /4 spd
Airslash
Dazzling gleam
Follow me
Magic coat

I almost always lead with meta and toge they seem to work great together. Airslash is for stab and if I want to try and flinch out a slower pokemon while meta takes down it's partner. Dazzling gleam hits dragons hard and I'll use it sometimes if I want to break a sash or sturdy. Follow me has proven to be the best move on my team, pulls shadow balls, fireblasts, crunches away from meta, I can usually keep toge alive for around three turns. Magic coat is my answer to dark void smeargle, let's me throw it right back. I was using roost over magic coat but found that I never used it. Oh and follow me also saves me from mega kanga sucker punch which would otherwise ko Metagross.

So those are the two pokemon I have to have on my team. The other pokemon I have been using are choice scarf rotom-h, a choice banded dragonite, a competitive milotic and an assault vest tyranitar.

Any help would be appreciated.

Erebos

Thanks for the feedback, it is much appreciated. Sorry about posting my stats; how does one know the pokemon's EVs? I've actually redone my team, and now instead have Darkrai, Crobat, Mega Blaziken, Gardevoir, Aggron and Empoleon and feel this is better than my previous choices.

Onyx Tanuki

Ma! There's a weird 'nuki in the yahd!
Thanks for the feedback, it is much appreciated. Sorry about posting my stats; how does one know the pokemon's EVs? I've actually redone my team, and now instead have Darkrai, Crobat, Mega Blaziken, Gardevoir, Aggron and Empoleon and feel this is better than my previous choices.

EVs are actually easy to calculate if you haven't battled with your pokemon, since you control how much of everything they get. With Super Training in the games, you literally control the point totals put into each stat, and you get even easier control if you're using a simulator like Pokemon Showdown. While you can (and many do) split their EVs in ways to hit certain benchmarks, you can often get by with a spread of 252/252/4, where you're putting either 252 Att/SpAtt and 252 Speed for sweepers and wallbreakers, 252 HP and 252 Att/SpAtt for bulky offense, 252 HP and 252 Speed for pure support, or 252 HP and 252 Def/SpDef for walls and defensive support. Only general way this rule breaks is if you're running a type weak to Stealth Rocks, in which case if you invest in HP it should be reduced to make sure it has odd HP.

It's possible you may be confusing EVs for IVs, though? If that's the case it's a little harder to calculate, as you'd either have to know their breeding history or run their current stats and EVs through a 6th gen IV calculator online. Usually stat builds assume perfect IVs unless a pokemon is running Hidden Power (which often times will require some IVs to be lowered to get the type you want), so they can be a little more complicated. Either way, there's little point calculating them unless you really are aiming for a perfect in-game pokemon, since if you're running a simulator, like with EVs, you could input whatever IVs you wish.

Could I get some input on my team please? Is my team more defensive or offensive or mixed? Would cleric sylveon (wish, heal bell, protect, hyper voice) be better than gardevoir?

Mega Sceptile and Dragonite and Ninetails and Zoroark are my main attackers. Then I have Gardevoir or Sylveon and Gengar for annoyance and hexing.

Aeon™

Rock Ultimate
Could I get some input on my team please? Is my team more defensive or offensive or mixed? Would cleric sylveon (wish, heal bell, protect, hyper voice) be better than gardevoir?

Mega Sceptile and Dragonite and Ninetails and Zoroark are my main attackers. Then I have Gardevoir or Sylveon and Gengar for annoyance and hexing.

What sets are you using?

What sets are you using?

This is my first competetive team. I believe it's more offensive than defensive. I am thinking of adding Sylveon for cleric support (calm nature w/ wish, protect, heal bell, and hyper voice) to come in and heal one of my attackers when needed. I have a spare BR 5iv Blaziken, but don't feel my team needs that. I also have a 3iv Wallbreaker Crawdnaut (aqua jet, crab hammer, super powers, fake out). Since I'm more offensive, don't feel I need Crawdnaut. I plan to use it for single and triple battles. I think I can do that right?

Mega Sceptile
Ability: Unburden (Unrelaxed)
EVs: 252 Sp Att/ 252 Speed / 4 HP
IVs: 5
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Substitute or Giga Drain
- Focus Blast

This is usually what I like to start with. He is quick, mean and green. Dragon Pulse can hurt dragon types, giga drain can do damage and also heal, and focus blast can hurt threats like Heatran. Leaf Storm is there to do my typical damage to water and rock threats.

Ninetails w/ Passho Berry or Leftovers (sp. Attacker)
- Dark Pulse
- Solar Beam
- Fire Blast
-Nasty Plot

Main idea is to come in and fire blast or nasty plot and fire blast any grass or steel threats like Ferrathorn. Solar beam is there to surprise water types if I can get in first and then i have passho berry take a hit if I don't go first. Dark Pulse is extra coverage to attack any psychic types.

Gardevoir w/ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Sps / 252 HP/ 4 sp. att
IVS: 5
-Moon Blast
-Thunderbolt
- Psychic
-Shadowball

Gardevoir is really here for more coverage. Thunderbolt to use against water type threats. Psychic to attack fighting and ghost type threats. Shadowball to attack psychic type threats. Lastly Moonblast for Dragon and fighting type threats. I have choice scarf for speed it needs to get in first because it's kinda frail and most EVs to HP. Telepathy helps keeping Gardevoir alive as well.

Dragonite w/ Lum Berry (mixed dd attacker)
IVS: 2 (speed and att)
- Outrage
- Dragon Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake

This is my second main attacker. He is here to do come in and use dragon dance and then outrage. If a fire type or rock type threat comes, then I hope to pull earthquake. If all else fails and I need to make the finishing hit there is Extreme Speed. Outrage is my stab attack. This guy is a mean sweeper!

Shiny Gengar w/ Black Sludge (sweeper)
IVS: 6
-Hex
-Substitute
-Taunt
-Will-o-wisp

Since my Halloween Gengar is impish and only 3 ivs, I can't use sludge wave. I am thinking Sludge bomb would the best suited substitute for an offensive team? Idea here is to use will o wisp followed by hex. If not, I can use taunt then sludge bomb. At least sludge bomb gets 30% more rate to poison. I also have gengar hear to hurt dark types. Taunt is a sneaky move I can use if some one accidently uses I move I see coming that won't affect gengar, so I can use it on normal and fighting types.

Shiny Zoroark w/ Life Orb (staller)
EVs: 252 Sp. Att / 252 Speed / 4 Sp. Def
-Night Daze
-Flame Thrower
-U-Turn
-Focus Blast

The idea here is to come in and use flame thrower, night daze, or focus blast. Then switch out with u turn. Flame thrower will hurt sceptiles, ferrathorn, and venusaurs. Focus Blast for mega gyarados and others like it. Night Daze for psychics types.

Last edited:

Onyx Tanuki

This is my first competetive team. I believe it's more offensive than defensive. I am thinking of adding Sylveon for cleric support (calm nature w/ wish, protect, heal bell, and hyper voice) to come in and heal one of my attackers when needed. I have a spare BR 5iv Blaziken, but don't feel my team needs that. I also have a 3iv Wallbreaker Crawdnaut (aqua jet, crab hammer, super powers, fake out). Since I'm more offensive, don't feel I need Crawdnaut. I plan to use it for single and triple battles. I think I can do that right?

Mega Sceptile
Ability: Unburden (Unrelaxed)
EVs: 252 Sp Att/ 252 Speed / 4 HP
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Substitute or Giga Drain
- Focus Blast

This is usually what I like to start with. He is quick, mean and green. Dragon Pulse can hurt dragon types, giga drain can do damage and also heal, and focus blast can hurt threats like Heatran. Leaf Storm is there to do my typical damage to water and rock threats.

Ninetails w/ Passho Berry or Leftovers (sp. Attacker)
- Dark Pulse
- Solar Beam
- Fire Blast
-Nasty Plot

Main idea is to come in and fire blast or nasty plot and fire blast any grass or steel threats like Ferrathorn. Solar beam is there to surprise water types if I can get in first and then i have passho berry take a hit if I don't go first. Dark Pulse is extra coverage to attack any psychic types.

Gardevoir w/ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Sps / 252 HP/ 4 sp. att
IVS: 5
-Moon Blast
-Thunderbolt
- Psychic
-Shadowball

Gardevoir is really here for more coverage. Thunderbolt to use against water type threats. Psychic to attack fighting and ghost type threats. Shadowball to attack psychic type threats. Lastly Moonblast for Dragon and fighting type threats. I have choice scarf for speed it needs to get in first because it's kinda frail and most EVs to HP. Telepathy helps keeping Gardevoir alive as well.

Dragonite w/ Lum Berry (mixed dd attacker)
IVS: 2 (speed and att)
- Outrage
- Dragon Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake

This is my second main attacker. He is here to do come in and use dragon dance and then outrage. If a fire type or rock type threat comes, then I hope to pull earthquake. If all else fails and I need to make the finishing hit there is Extreme Speed. Outrage is my stab attack. This guy is a mean sweeper!

Shiny Gengar w/ Black Sludge (sweeper)
-Hex
-Substitute
-Taunt
-Will-o-wisp

Since my Halloween Gengar is impish and only 3 ivs, I can't use sludge wave. I am thinking Sludge bomb would the best suited substitute for an offensive team? Idea here is to use will o wisp followed by hex. If not, I can use taunt then sludge bomb. At least sludge bomb gets 30% more rate to poison. I also have gengar hear to hurt dark types. Taunt is a sneaky move I can use if some one accidently uses I move I see coming that won't affect gengar, so I can use it on normal and fighting types.

Shiny Zoroark w/ Life Orb (staller)
EVs: 252 Sp. Att / 252 Speed / 4 Sp. Def
-Night Daze
-Flame Thrower
-U-Turn
-Focus Blast

The idea here is to come in and use flame thrower, night daze, or focus blast. Then switch out with u turn. Flame thrower will hurt sceptiles, ferrathorn, and venusaurs. Focus Blast for mega gyarados and others like it. Night Daze for psychics types.

I think the big problem with your team is that a specially defensive Fairy type (such as Mega Audino, Sylveon, or Florges) would absolutely destroy your world. Dragonite might handle one with EQ or ExtremeSpeed, but if you lock yourself into Outrage without first taking their Fairy wall down it's a wrap. Honestly, next to any special wall would be difficult for you to handle, considering Dragonite's your only means of physical attack outside of U-Turn on Zoroark. Personally, I'd ditch Hex for Sludge Bomb so Gengar can actually handle Fairies to some degree, and trade Gardevoir's Psychic for Psyshock to handle specially-defensive enemies. Ninetails seems to be the weakest link here; Sun doesn't benefit anyone on your team aside from it (and maybe Zoroark if it uses Flamethrower); I'd suggest a physical Fire type such as Darmanitan or Talonflame, and rely on Zoro's Flamethrower for Ferro and Bug/Steels. Actually, Talonflame with Roost/Brave Bird/Flare Blitz/U-Turn would be ideal since its Brave Bird would be able to handle Sceptile and Venusaur much more capably than a Fire move could (considering each one's Mega does something to protect it from Fire, with Mega Sceptile being part Dragon and Mega Venusaur having Thick Fat). You mention Crawdaunt, and that honestly would be a fantastic thing to use in place of Zoroark, but you'll probably want to trade its Fake Out for Knock Off, not only to have a massively powerful Dark type move to use but also to help handle things that rely heavily on their items like Chansey. I'd also say, with these changes, you could drop Focus Blast on Sceptile for HP Fire or Ice, with the former handling Ferro just as well as Focus Blast without the miss chance, and the latter being great against most Flying types as well as things like Mega Altaria and any of the many Dragons that are part Flying or Ground. Mega Altaria might be a good replacement for Mega Sceptile, too, though it kind of steps on Dragonite's toes as the team's DD setup, so if you went that route you'd also be better of making Dragonite a true mixed attacker.

I'm gonna assume here you're not too experience, since the roles you named for some of you pokemon do not fit with what you chose them to do (for example, you said your Dragonite is a mixed DD user, but is using purely physical moves, and the Zoroark you claim to be a staller is purely an offensive pivot and is using Life Orb, which would be the complete opposite of what a staller would run). You were drastically underselling it by saying the team is "more offensive than defensive"; it's hyper offense.

Vern

Why not both?
I’ve been planning a UU team, featuring the new Contrary Serperior, Cloyster, and Arcanine. It’s not much of a core, but Cloyster and Arcanine can handle physical attackers quite well. Umbreon handles special attackers well, as well as wish-passing (as a lot of my pokemon lack recovery) and healing off status conditions which trouble Serperior. There’s also a problem with “a lot of leftovers”, but most of the ‘mons like that passive recovery.

Arcana (Arcanine) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
- Flare Blitz
- Will-O-Wisp
- Extreme Speed
- Morning Sun

A physical wall that fares quite well. Intimidate and Will-O-Wisp can help it take hits. Morning Sun gives recovery. Flare Blitz is for damage, as well as an obligatory STAB. Extreme speed can outpace frail priority users.

Cyrus (Cloyster) (M) @ Leftovers / White Herb
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Spear
- Rapid Spin
- Shell Smash
- Explosion

This guy’s move set is a little off. I want him for rapid spin, and usually lead with him. Icicle spear is a 125 damage 100 accuracy move with Skill link, which is hard to pass up. Shell smash allows it to gain significant sweeping potential, and threatening other leads. Explosion I’m not so sure of, considering replacing it with rock blast or something.

Serena (Serperior) (F) @ Leftovers / Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 20 HP / 252 Spatk / 236 Spe
Timid/Modest Nature
-Leaf Storm
-Dragon Pulse
-Hidden Power (Fire/Rock/Earth)
-Substitute/Glare/Giga Drain

The star of the show, one of my favourite pokemon. Leaf storm allows it to boost effortlessly, gaining a nasty plot boost in the process of attacking with it’s strongest (and only) STAB. Dragon Pulse hits most things neutral, and can deal quite a lot of damage. Hidden power for added coverage. The last move-slot I’m having trouble with, Substitute allows it to avoid status, Glare dishes out Paralysis, and giga drain gives it a STAB other than leaf storm (the PP is precious), and gives recovery that it otherwise lacks.

Luna (Umbreon) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Foul Play
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

My special wall. It stops special attackers in their tracks, and is not afraid of status (heal bell), as well as stopping the opponent spamming toxic, as they will get it right back. Synchronize is a great ability on a wall. Wish helps Cloyster and Serperior regain health, as they lack reliable recovery. Foul play messes up physical attackers.

I think the big problem with your team is that a specially defensive Fairy type (such as Mega Audino, Sylveon, or Florges) would absolutely destroy your world. Dragonite might handle one with EQ or ExtremeSpeed, but if you lock yourself into Outrage without first taking their Fairy wall down it's a wrap. Honestly, next to any special wall would be difficult for you to handle, considering Dragonite's your only means of physical attack outside of U-Turn on Zoroark. Personally, I'd ditch Hex for Sludge Bomb so Gengar can actually handle Fairies to some degree, and trade Gardevoir's Psychic for Psyshock to handle specially-defensive enemies. Ninetails seems to be the weakest link here; Sun doesn't benefit anyone on your team aside from it (and maybe Zoroark if it uses Flamethrower); I'd suggest a physical Fire type such as Darmanitan or Talonflame, and rely on Zoro's Flamethrower for Ferro and Bug/Steels. Actually, Talonflame with Roost/Brave Bird/Flare Blitz/U-Turn would be ideal since its Brave Bird would be able to handle Sceptile and Venusaur much more capably than a Fire move could (considering each one's Mega does something to protect it from Fire, with Mega Sceptile being part Dragon and Mega Venusaur having Thick Fat). You mention Crawdaunt, and that honestly would be a fantastic thing to use in place of Zoroark, but you'll probably want to trade its Fake Out for Knock Off, not only to have a massively powerful Dark type move to use but also to help handle things that rely heavily on their items like Chansey. I'd also say, with these changes, you could drop Focus Blast on Sceptile for HP Fire or Ice, with the former handling Ferro just as well as Focus Blast without the miss chance, and the latter being great against most Flying types as well as things like Mega Altaria and any of the many Dragons that are part Flying or Ground. Mega Altaria might be a good replacement for Mega Sceptile, too, though it kind of steps on Dragonite's toes as the team's DD setup, so if you went that route you'd also be better of making Dragonite a true mixed attacker.

I'm gonna assume here you're not too experience, since the roles you named for some of you pokemon do not fit with what you chose them to do (for example, you said your Dragonite is a mixed DD user, but is using purely physical moves, and the Zoroark you claim to be a staller is purely an offensive pivot and is using Life Orb, which would be the complete opposite of what a staller would run). You were drastically underselling it by saying the team is "more offensive than defensive"; it's hyper offense.
Right now I am thinking:
In place of Sceptile:

Mega Blaziken (baton pass and physical sweeper)
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 ATT/ 252 Speed/ 4 HP
-Low Kick
-Flare Blitz
-Swords Dance
-Baton Pass

In place of Ninetails:
Vivilon w/ Life Orb (wallbreaker)
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 252 Speed / 252 Sp att
-Bug Buzz
-Hurricane
-Quiver Dance
-Sleep Powder

Last edited:

Onyx Tanuki

Right now I am thinking:
In place of Sceptile:

Mega Blaziken (baton pass and physical sweeper)
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 ATT/ 252 Speed/ 4 HP
-Low Kick
-Flare Blitz
-Swords Dance
-Baton Pass

In place of Ninetails:
Vivilon w/ Life Orb (wallbreaker)
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 252 Speed / 252 Sp att
-Bug Buzz
-Hurricane
-Quiver Dance
-Sleep Powder

Depending on the rules you're playing by, you may not be able to use Blaziken due to it being banned to Ubers tier play, but that looks to be a decent set for it if it's allowed. Personally, considering your team, though, I'd say Swords Dance is pointless on him (your only other physical attacker, Dragonite, can already boost his Attack, and nothing else would benefit from it); he'd be better off with Protect to guarantee that first Speed Boost. Also, Vivillon is a decent option, since Sleep Powder can disable on opponent as well as afford it a chance to Quiver Dance, though you'll want to be careful about Grass types switching in on you thanks to their immunity to Sleep Powder.

You still have four special attackers though, three of them special sweepers, and that's going to cause you a lot of problems. As I mentioned before, trading Gardevoir's Psychic for Psyshock would partially help this, but you're still going to be suffering against the majority of Fairy type walls as well as the old standby special walls like Chansey (even though that is at least partially dealt with by Blaziken's Low Kick). I stand by my suggestion to replace Zoroark still with either Crawdaunt or some other pokemon that gets Knock Off. Maybe something that could cause trouble to Fairies, like Heatran, Magnezone, Ferrothorn, or Amoongus? I'd personally go with Amoongus, since it makes a great toxic staller and can heal itself with its Regenerator ability. You'll need to be more careful of Talonflame and other powerful Flying types in that event, but you might potentially revenge kill it with Gardevoir. Muk could be an interesting option too, and give you a reason to keep Swords Dance on Blaziken, as well as giving you priority in the form of Shadow Sneak.

Also I'd suggest really looking into what the terminology here means. I honestly wouldn't define Vivillon as a wallbreaker, considering it needs to set up to be able to punch holes in the opponents' defenses; Gardevoir is more fitting to that, especially since it has a means to handle both specially and physically defensive pokemon, and already has the SpAtt to do so naturally.

Anyway, in the event Blaziken is indeed banned in whatever format you're playing, I'd strongly suggest either Emboar or Darmanitan in its place. Darmanitan is a great physical wallbreaker with massive offenses and great speed combined with Sheer Force as well as plenty of good coverage options like Zen Headbutt, Rock Slide, Earthquake, and Superpower, and can use U-Turn to pivot. Emboar, on the other hand, with the new hotness that is Reckless, is quite powerful in its own right and can take a bit of a beating as well, although you'll need to be careful to keep it healthy if it's going to be a bulky sweeper rather than another wallbreaker.

DarkSword39

Heehouhouhouhou!
For some reason my thread never got made or whatever, so here is my Monotype Ghost Team:

Gengar @ Life Orb
Levitate
Timid
252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
-Shadow Ball/Thunderbolt
-Sludge Bomb
-Focus Blast
-Dazzling Gleam

Sableye @ Sablenite
Prankster (then Magic Bounce)
Careful
252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Atk
-Knock Off
-Metal Burst
-Recover
-Will-o-Wisp

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Water Absorb
Calm
252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 SpA
-Scald
-Hex
-Recover
-Toxic

Chandelure @ Choice Scarf
Flash Fire
Modest
252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
-Overheat/Fire Blast
-Shadow Ball
-Energy Ball
-Trick

Golurk @ Focus Sash
No Guard
Adamant
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
-Earthquake
-Dynamic Punch
-Stone Edge
-Stealth Rock

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Stance Change
Adamant
252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpD
-Iron Head
-Shadow Sneak
-Swords Dance
-King's Shield

2 Substitutes:

Froslass @ Focus Sash
Cursed Body
Nature and EVs: I don't know
-Ice Beam
-Spikes
-Thunder Wave
-Confuse Ray/Destiny Bond

Trevenant @ Sitrus Berry
Harvest
Careful
252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Atk
-Horn Leech
-Will-o-Wisp
-Substitute
-Leech Seed

Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! Remember, only Ghost types! (And no Giratina)

Ryuken

Steel User
For some reason my thread never got made or whatever, so here is my Monotype Ghost Team:

Gengar @ Life Orb
Levitate
Timid
252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
-Shadow Ball/Thunderbolt
-Sludge Bomb
-Focus Blast
-Dazzling Gleam

Sableye @ Sablenite
Prankster (then Magic Bounce)
Careful
252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Atk
-Knock Off
-Metal Burst
-Recover
-Will-o-Wisp

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Water Absorb
Calm
252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 SpA
-Scald
-Hex
-Recover
-Toxic

Chandelure @ Choice Scarf
Flash Fire
Modest
252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
-Overheat/Fire Blast
-Shadow Ball
-Energy Ball
-Trick

Golurk @ Focus Sash
No Guard
Adamant
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
-Earthquake
-Dynamic Punch
-Stone Edge
-Stealth Rock

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Stance Change
Adamant
252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpD
-Iron Head
-Shadow Sneak
-Swords Dance
-King's Shield

2 Substitutes:

Froslass @ Focus Sash
Cursed Body
Nature and EVs: I don't know
-Ice Beam
-Spikes
-Thunder Wave
-Confuse Ray/Destiny Bond

Trevenant @ Sitrus Berry
Harvest
Careful
252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Atk
-Horn Leech
-Will-o-Wisp
-Substitute
-Leech Seed

Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! Remember, only Ghost types! (And no Giratina)

First Shadow Ball in gengar should be mandatory, as it is his most reliable STAB.
Consider changing dazzing gleam unless you are really having trouble with dragons, but considering you have sableye and Jellycent you shouldn't have much issues with it.

Next,I would recommend running the standard Calm Mind Sableye instead, as it has more utility than the current set you are using. If you desire to keep using the current set, I would recommend to keep regular sableye as it keeps prankster.
Also, consider changing metal burst for Foul Play, as it helps against one of Mono-Ghost biggest fears, Mega-Char X.

For Chandelure, I would recommend running Timid instead of Modest. While the difference in power is noticeable, you can't have the luxury of a neutral spe. nature in monotype.
Consider Fire Blast over Overheat as well, as it gives it more late game sweeping potential.

As for golurk, consider changing it for Frosslas, unless it you are running taunt in other pokemon like gengar. Ghost has neither defogers or rapid spinners available and thus suffers from hazard control. The only option for hazard control is taunt.
However, since Golurk is the only ghost type capable of using Stealth Rock, you can use it as well if you are worried about the ever present Mono-Flying and the less used Mono-Fire.

However, if you decide to use froslass, consider using Destiny Bond instead of confuse ray, and Taunt over thunder wave, as it gives her more utility and avoids the luck Risk-Reward factor of confuse ray.

Lastly, you can also use Sp.Def Trevenant instead of Jellicent, but keep in mind both are Set up bait most of the time. (Specially to Sub Mega Gyara and Char-X)

I'm playing on wi-fi online battle rating which Blaziken is not banned on with that build.

My new plan:

Keeping Gengar

Keeping Blaziken

Instead of Dragonite
Mamoswine w/ life orb (don't know what you would call this build, but maybe mixed physical sweeper or mixed attacker? I could go for something else, like make it defensive)
Ability: Snow cloak
EVs: don't remember off hand
-Earthquake
-Hail
-Protect
-Icicle Crush
OR
Gardevoir (as previously mentioned, but with Psyshock)

Instead of Zoroark:
Crawdnaut w/ choice band (wallbreaker)
-Knock Off
-Crab Hammer
-Aqua Jet
-Super Power

Instead of Gardevoir
Sylveon with Leftovers (cleric support)
Nature: Calm
-Hyper Voice
-Wish
-Protect
-Heal Bell

Instead of Vivilon:
Scizor w/ Lum Berry (physical attacker)
Ability: Technician
-X Scizzor
-Sword Dance
-Bullet Punch
-Roost

Another option could be maybe Garchomp over Scizor?

Last edited: