• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Team Building Help Thread

venetrix

Kaiju trainer
Need help completing a team.

Hey everyone, I'm trying to put a competitive team together using an offensive core that's served me pretty well in the Battle Maison and casual online battles. I'm having trouble finding a 6th though, so I thought I'd ask for advice.

So the core I'm using at the moment is Assault Vest No Guard Machamp, Life Orb Scizor and (occasionally Mega) Gyarados. I've filled the team out with Choice Scarf Garchomp and Leftovers Calm Mind Slowbro. Full details in the spoilers:

Machamp@Assault Vest
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 76/248/0/0/180/6
Nature: Adamant
Dynamicpunch, Knock Off, Stone Edge, Bullet Punch
This is my lead. the idea is big, dumb and simple - pile on offensive pressure off the bat. The EV spread is something I put together from using basically the same build in older generations, when I was more careless about EV training and overcompensated for its special defence. That said, the hits this thing can tank are impressive - it'll survive an unboosted Xerneas Moonblast (though that's not a match I'd want to leave it in on). The idea is usually to go out in a blaze of glory and let either Scizor or Gyarados come in and set up on a weakened Pokemon, though it's been known to sweep unprepared teams on its own.

Scizor @Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 26/252/0/0/12/220
Bullet Punch, Bug Bite, Swords Dance, Superpower
You all know what this is and how it works. The EVs are there to deal maximum damage and hit a friendly Stealth Rock HP number. I figured I could afford to lose a bit of speed since this set relies heavily on Bullet Punch anyway - depending on how this works out for me I might invest more heavily in special defense. This has great type synergy with Gyarados, and can usually come in on anything the big serpent can't.

Gyarados @Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate/Mold Breaker
EVs: 88/252/0/0/0/170
Waterfall, Crunch, Dragon Dance, Earthquake
I've loved Gyarados since Gen 1, and the mind games you can play by waiting to Mega evolve it are great fun. Otherwise this set is pretty straightforward - big dumb damage with an EV spread ripped off directly from Smogon.

Garchomp @Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 6/252/0/0/0/252
Nature: Jolly
Earthquake, Dragon Claw, Poison Jab, Stone Edge
This was my first addition, since my core can struggle against a late-game Mega Manectric if Gyarados is unboosted. I'm considering swapping out Dragon Claw for Outrage, but I don't like the idea of getting locked in (ironic on a Choice set, I know).

Slowbro @Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs:
Nature: Bold
Scald, Psychic, Calm Mind, Slack Off
Another problem I face is very physically bulky Pokemon, which Slowbro checks handily. This is the most recent addition I've made, and I haven't done much playtesting with it. I like the idea of giving it a Mega stone as well in order to keep my options open, but I'm not sure how much it'll miss the leftovers recovery.

So that's where I've got to so far. I'm liking the way Slowbro's playing so far, but I'm not too sure about Garchomp - ideally I need a better answer to electric types that covers both Mega Manectric and Rotom-W, since I don't really have a decent answer to the latter other than sacrificing most of Gyarados' health to bring it down. I also have problems with stall and status, so I could do with Taunt and Heal Bell support without sacrificing Gyarados' coverage. Celebi would be a good fit, but I'd like to avoid using legends if I can.

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
Hey everyone, I'm trying to put a competitive team together using an offensive core that's served me pretty well in the Battle Maison and casual online battles. I'm having trouble finding a 6th though, so I thought I'd ask for advice.

So the core I'm using at the moment is Assault Vest No Guard Machamp, Life Orb Scizor and (occasionally Mega) Gyarados. I've filled the team out with Choice Scarf Garchomp and Leftovers Calm Mind Slowbro. Full details in the spoilers:

Machamp@Assault Vest
This is my lead. the idea is big, dumb and simple - pile on offensive pressure off the bat. The EV spread is something I put together from using basically the same build in older generations, when I was more careless about EV training and overcompensated for its special defence. That said, the hits this thing can tank are impressive - it'll survive an unboosted Xerneas Moonblast (though that's not a match I'd want to leave it in on). The idea is usually to go out in a blaze of glory and let either Scizor or Gyarados come in and set up on a weakened Pokemon, though it's been known to sweep unprepared teams on its own.

Scizor @Life Orb
You all know what this is and how it works. The EVs are there to deal maximum damage and hit a friendly Stealth Rock HP number. I figured I could afford to lose a bit of speed since this set relies heavily on Bullet Punch anyway - depending on how this works out for me I might invest more heavily in special defense. This has great type synergy with Gyarados, and can usually come in on anything the big serpent can't.

Gyarados @Gyaradosite
I've loved Gyarados since Gen 1, and the mind games you can play by waiting to Mega evolve it are great fun. Otherwise this set is pretty straightforward - big dumb damage with an EV spread ripped off directly from Smogon.

Garchomp @Choice Scarf
This was my first addition, since my core can struggle against a late-game Mega Manectric if Gyarados is unboosted. I'm considering swapping out Dragon Claw for Outrage, but I don't like the idea of getting locked in (ironic on a Choice set, I know).

Slowbro @Leftovers
EVs:
Another problem I face is very physically bulky Pokemon, which Slowbro checks handily. This is the most recent addition I've made, and I haven't done much playtesting with it. I like the idea of giving it a Mega stone as well in order to keep my options open, but I'm not sure how much it'll miss the leftovers recovery.

So that's where I've got to so far. I'm liking the way Slowbro's playing so far, but I'm not too sure about Garchomp - ideally I need a better answer to electric types that covers both Mega Manectric and Rotom-W, since I don't really have a decent answer to the latter other than sacrificing most of Gyarados' health to bring it down. I also have problems with stall and status, so I could do with Taunt and Heal Bell support without sacrificing Gyarados' coverage. Celebi would be a good fit, but I'd like to avoid using legends if I can.

I'm not much of a competitive battler so I might not be much help but I think Meowstic-M is a good support Pokemon to have. It's the one I use on my Triples team. It has access to the Prankster ability as well as numerous helpful status and support moves like Thunder Wave, Safeguard, Light Screen, Reflect, Helping Hand, Heal Bell, Trick, Quick Guard, Toxic, Mean Look and Torment (no Taunt unfortunately) so it can be helpful in a lot of situations.

Another Pokemon you could try is Whimsicott which also has a lot of support moves and Prankster. It can get access to a lot of the moves Meowstic-M can as well as others like Leech Seed, Encore, Taunt and Tailwind. Tailwind is very handy if you're playing Doubles or Triples (but I'm guessing your team is for singles?) as you can boost the speed of all your Pokemon and not have to rely on Garchomp's Choice Scarf. If you were to use Tailwind you could remove the Choice Scarf off Garchomp and replace it with another item, Rocky Helmet for example.

Also, on Garchomp I'd personally get one with Rough Skin over Sand Veil. I'm not sure how common Sandstorm teams are currently but even then Sand Veil is very situational and relies a lot on luck. At least with Rough Skin you can cause extra damage to physical attackers, and potentially break Focus Sashes and cause decent damage to Mega Kangaskhan which is always a threatening Pokemon.

Again, I'm not a competitive battler but these are some of the Pokemon I've found to be very helpful to me. Hope this helps :)

Last edited:

Yellow De Viridian Grove

Machamp@Assault Vest

Scizor @Life Orb

Gyarados @Gyaradosite

Garchomp @Choice Scarf

Slowbro @Leftovers
EVs:

Last mon would probably be Hetran if you have one. You really want Rocks and she synergises well with Slowbro.
You can look up some sets on Smogon if you want, but offensive SR is probably the best.

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Stealth Rock

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
So who are the Pokémon to look out for in the Sinnoh Classic?

I'm guessing Cresselia and Garchomp will be prevalent, but who else?

Hydrangea

ask me about my ocs pls
Staff member

Heatran, Togekiss, possibly Infernape.

Honestly I'd love to see more crazy bulky Pachirisus and Drapion getting some love.

EKZ1505

You may need a Dark Void/Entrainment Moody Smeargle counter. It's dominating the testing ladder next to things like Cresselia.

Heatran, Togekiss, possibly Infernape.

Honestly I'd love to see more crazy bulky Pachirisus and Drapion getting some love.

I think Heatran is banned if I remember correctly, but Infernape and especially Togekiss will be around.

Smokin' weedle

Alright, here's my team. I'm not completely done with it, but could use any help i can get. Many of my pokemon lack items, becouse i always have a hard time deciding what to use exactly. They're not ev trained yet, so please tell how to spread those as well.

Escavalier
Item: none
Ability: overcoat
Nature: brave
- slash
- x-scissor
- poisen jab
- iron head

Escavalier is one of my main offences. Having good attack and defence stats, it's one of the very few pokemon whose low speed stat I'm willing to overlook. With STABs in iron head and x-scissor i can deal massive damage, whereas poisen jab has a poisen chance. Slash is just a move I haven't swapped yet.

Hitmonchan
Ability: iron fist
Nature: relaxed
- thunder punch
- fire punch
- ice punch
- sky uppercut

Another great attacker. With a decent speed and good power, boosted by iron fist he can sweep decently. I never expect him to stay long, but he's there to deal some damage.

Meowstic (m)
Ability: infiltrator
Nature: modest
- trick
- toxic
- psychic
- thunderbolt

Meowstic is one of my 'surprise factors'. Rather then going all out offence as it's stats would show i use it to give items to pokemon that can't use them. When in danger i can still deal damage, or I can try to use toxic and swap to something bulkier.

Seadra
Item: razor claw
Ability: sniper
Nature: modest
- focus energy
- hydro pump
- blizzard
- ice beam

Seadra might not be as good as kingdra, but i prefer it. Focus energy should boost the critical chances even further, but when i can't use it, i still have the razor claw boost to hope upon. This set is, aside from ice beam based on the set i used in pokemon red, and mayby it's not that good, but i just want it/

Mawile
Item: mawilite
Ability: hyper cutter/ huge power
Nature: brave
- crunch
- iron head
- play rough
- sucker punch

My main sweeper. Thanks to sucker punch i can outspeed some major threats. With mega mawiles huge power any attack is massively damaging. With two powerfull STAB moves in iron head and play rough, it will damage by masses, if it has the chance to, becouse it's speed lets it down a bit.

Skarmory
Item:none
Ability: sturdy
Nature: carefull
- spikes
- roar
- night slash
- slash

My spike setter. I am far from done with this set (might be obvious), but it has roar to swap opponents into the spikes. I'm still not sure what to put in the last two moveslots, so any help there would be nice

Cloud5001

First off let me make this clear I don't care about compettive play, I play to have fun if I beat someone in an online battle great if not then I won't lose sleep over it. Second I pick pokemon based on the ones I like not the stats they have. A pokemon could be the weakest one in the game and I'd still give it a chance if I like it. With that said I'll show you my team for Xy

Pikachu
Item: None
Ability: Static
Nature: Sassy
-Brick Break
- Electro Ball
- Thunder

One of many Pikachu's that I have, I know what people say about it but I don't care I find it to be very reliable and will always have one in my team.

Blazekin
Item: None
Ability: Speed Boost
Nature: Impish
-Flare Blitz
-Sky Uppercut
-Focus Blast
-Fire Blast

Blazekin is a badass and getting speed boost only helped that. I don't recall too many times where he fainted and like Pikachu he's always going to be on my main team.

Mewtwo
Item:none
Ability: Pressure

Oh how I love Mewtwo, ever since the first movie it's always been my favorite legendary, course it does'nt hurt that he'd be a major powerhouse anyway.

Flygon
Ability: LEvitate
-Earth Power
-Hyper Beam
-Dragon Claw
-Dragon Breathe.

I usually go for pokemon who look adorable yet badass at the same time and Flygon fits that perfectly to me.

TalonFlame
Ability: Flame Body
Nature: Hasty

I friggin love this bird, when I first caught it I thought it would be a decent pokemon to have but I was blown away by how fast it can be. So not only did he stay on my main team for Kalos I usually have him start in a battle.

Anyway that's my Xy team, I'll probably post my more current team from Aplha Sapphire sometime.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan

The fact that you only have 5 Pokemon isn't even the biggest problem with this team, even as far as in-game teams go. However since you said you only use Pokemon you like and you don't care what other people say, I'm not sure why you even bothered posting this. This is the RMT section, it's for getting constructive feedback on your teams, not showing them off. If you're not open to criticism posting a team here is useless.

Cloud5001

The fact that you only have 5 Pokemon isn't even the biggest problem with this team, even as far as in-game teams go. However since you said you only use Pokemon you like and you don't care what other people say, I'm not sure why you even bothered posting this. This is the RMT section, it's for getting constructive feedback on your teams, not showing them off. If you're not open to criticism posting a team here is useless.

I forgot the other pokemon on my team I'll fix that, but I am open to criticisim it's just that I know most of them will be directed towards Pikachu in general and I'm sick of the complaints surronding him in the game

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
I don't think this is worth posting a whole new thread for so I'll post it here.

This is an Ubers team I built in about 10 minutes last week. I basically never play Ubers and I wasn't expecting it to go far but so far it's carried me to a 1600 ELO with a W/L R of 35/6 (1800+ Glicko2). I'm not ready to make any serious changes to it or post a RMT just yet because I want to see where it peaks, but I'm trying to decide whether to keep Water Arceus as my Defogger or whether or not Rock Arceus would be better. Rock Arceus still takes on Mega Diancie well, as Earth Power doesn't OHKO while Judgment does quite a bit of damage, fares better against Ho-Oh, and can actually touch Primal Groudon. It also can deal some noticeable damage to Yveltal, who can also be a bit problematic as half my team stalemates with it.

Water Arceus is a solid Defogger but without Toxic it can't check many of the things it usually checks, and if I drop Stealth Rock for Toxic, then I'm left without a reliable way to set my own Rocks.

Groudon @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 32 SpD / 52 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Lugia @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Toxic
- Ice Beam
- Roost
- Whirlwind

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled
- Heal Bell

Sableye @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Fake Out

Arceus-Water @ Splash Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD
Calm Nature
- Judgment
- Recover
- Defog
- Stealth Rock

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 184 HP / 28 Def / 248 SpA / 48 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Thunder
- Focus Blast
- Geomancy

Last edited:

Ben Fisher

Hi I'm new to pokemon forums and am looking for some team advice. The team I am making is PURELY for fun/battling my friends and I still need a sixth mon.
My current team is:

SP attack protean greninja
Attack/tank dragonite
poison heal/staller glyscor
rotom wash ಠ‿↼
physical tank/toxic spikes drapion

what would best fit in my last spot? what should I change? thanks!

~Ace

i can show you how
Hi I'm new to pokemon forums and am looking for some team advice. The team I am making is PURELY for fun/battling my friends and I still need a sixth mon.
My current team is:

SP attack protean greninja
Attack/tank dragonite
poison heal/staller glyscor
rotom wash ಠ‿↼
physical tank/toxic spikes drapion

what would best fit in my last spot? what should I change? thanks!

hi, perhaps a spinner like forretress may be a good addition to this team; it will provide you with rapid spin therefore enabling dragonite to get as much use of multiscale as possible and may offer some defensive synergy too

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Volt Switch
- Gyro Ball / Toxic

I can't offer much advice on the team though since there's no sets provided, but this forretress set may be a nice last slot

Zamin

Hey everybody, I am currently building a team for Battle Spot single matches, I do both free and rating battles. I have tried competitive battling before but I am still fairly new to it and getting to grips with everything.

I occasionally dabble in other formats but as I am starting out I want to focus on single matches to begin with.

I've currently just got ORAS and some older gen games (Black 2, White, Platinum, FireRed and Ruby) as my old 3DS was stolen last year along with X, Y and many other games.

Therefore I am kinda restricted in what Pokemon I can use but I have managed to get some through trades, I also worry about receiving hacked Pokemon so I like to try and raise as many as I can by myself.

Anyway, let's crack on with what Pokemon I currently have EV trained.

171.gif

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 40 HP / 216 Defence / 252 Special Defence
Nature: Calm
- Thunder Wave
- Confuse Ray
- Discharge
- Surf

I usually lead with this Pokemon. I encountered one in a wi-fi battle a few days ago and it had my team stumped so I decided to add it in. I like the Parafusion combo. I am thinking of changing Discharge for Volt Switch so that I can get a free switch in while still dealing damage. I basically want to use it to annoy the opponent and prevent them from attacking. It works in about half the battles I do, usually it is stumped by someone using Substitution or using something like a Ferrothorn.

Also it's attacks aren't the strongest hitting which is a downside in certain situations, if I am against another wall or something.

I've read on another forum that Rotom-W would be a better choice so I am thinking of breeding one up. I've just seen that it is obtainable on Platinum so I will catch it and transfer it up. My main reason for using Lanturn over Rotom-W was that it was easier to obtain.

445.png

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Attack / 252 Speed / 4 Defence
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Swords Dance
- Flamethrower

I like the combination of Rocky Helmet and Rough Skin, it can end up dealing quite a lot in certain instances. I can't always fit in Swords Dance but when I do, it does provide a really good benefit. Dragon Claw is powerful and useful, Flamethrower is a move that I would maybe change as it doesn't always deal much damage.

Garchomp normally delivers the bulk of the damage to opponents but it does get OHKO sometimes. I basically chose it as it is wildly popular and has great power. I didn't even like it before I started using Battle Spot but now I am rather fond of it.

mawile.png

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Hyper Cutter / Huge Power (when Mega)
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Attack / 4 Defence
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Play Rough

The 90% chance of hitting of Play Rough can be really annoying when it fails but it seems to be the best fair option. Iron head is useful due to STAB. Sucker Punch is useful when it works but I am still getting to grips with it, it has really helped me on occasion.

I use to lead with this Pokemon until I got Lanturn.

184.png

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Attack / 4 Special Defence
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Superpower

I don't really get many situations in which to use Superpower so I am questioning how useful it is. I also just realised that the ability is Thick Fat, I was aiming for a Huge Power but I must have been tired when it hatched, so that is something for me to change.

I used to give this Pokemon leftovers so it could get some recovery but since adding Lanturn to the team, I shifted them over. I don't use this Pokemon as much now unless I see threats in the other team that it could be useful for, if they have a lot of fire Pokemon for example.

- - - -

That is my team as it stands at the moment.

These are the Pokemon I would like to train up next:

- Klefki
- Aegislash
- Talonflame
- Froakie

I would also like to add a Blissey or Kangaskhan but I already have a mega and I don't have an oval stone atm to evolve my Happiny. Also, these Pokemon are hard for me train up at the moment as the are only female

Anyway, anyone got any advice for what I should add to my team?

How can I alter it, to ensure my team is a powerhouse?

Professor Maple

Pokemon prof.
Team

Medicham@assult vest
Baton pass
Bulk up
Calm mind
Power up punch

Metagross@leftovers
Bullet punch
Brick break
Confusion
Psychic

Crawdunt@choice specs
Bubble
Bubblebeam
Water pulse
Razor shell

Reiniculos@chesto berry
Rest
Safegaurd
Substitute
Thunder punch

Usarang@life orb
Facade
Double edge
Take down
Belly drum

Dragonite@draco plate
Extremespeed
Dragon breat
Dragon rage
Dragon claw

Sorry I'm not good at EVs. Kinda new to this.
Basicly medicham baton passes stats off to metagross.
Than I use suicide usarang.
Than when all else fails I use my dragonite.

Smokin' weedle

Team

Medicham@assult vest
Baton pass
Bulk up
Calm mind
Power up punch

Metagross@leftovers
Bullet punch
Brick break
Confusion
Psychic

Crawdunt@choice specs
Bubble
Bubblebeam
Water pulse
Razor shell

Reiniculos@chesto berry
Rest
Safegaurd
Substitute
Thunder punch

Usarang@life orb
Facade
Double edge
Take down
Belly drum

Dragonite@draco plate
Extremespeed
Dragon breat
Dragon rage
Dragon claw

Sorry I'm not good at EVs. Kinda new to this.
Basicly medicham baton passes stats off to metagross.
Than I use suicide usarang.
Than when all else fails I use my dragonite.
Right, well, the first problem is medicham. Even with assault vest it's not in a good position to baton pass. It just doesn't have the bulk. Aside from that, assault vest will force you to use power up punch, as it blocks all status moves. Metagross seems decent for now, but you might need some better players for that. For crawdaunt, try different moves, right now a mon with resistance to water can completely destroy it. Reunicles is not a physical attacker in any way, so if you want to hurt opponents physically, use psyshock. It's item should be leftovers, and rest should be recover. Dragonite has the same problem as crawdaunt, not enough variation. Ursaring (i think you meant that) might get off two moves in this way, if he isn't taken down by anything.

Professor Maple

Pokemon prof.
Thanks by the way.

Team

Mew@focus scarf
Baton pass
Bulk up
Calm mind
Charge beam

Metagross@leftovers
Bullet punch
Brick break
Confusion
Psychic

Crawdunt@choice specs
Sucker punch
Bubblebeam
Nock off
Razor shell

Reiniculos@chesto berry
Rest
Safegaurd
Substitute
Psychic

Usarang@life orb
Facade
Double edge
Take down
Belly drum

Dragonite@draco plate
Extremespeed
Dragon breath
Thunder punch
Dragon claw

I made some modifications.

Last edited:

Smokin' weedle

Better, but mew should not run a choice item (unless you meant focus sash) crawduant wont have much use for choice specs now, so change bubblebeam to another physical move and give it focus band. Reinicles seems good. What abilities are you giving them?

Professor Maple

Pokemon prof.
Meant focus sash.
Reiniculos regenerator
Mew synchronize
Ursarang guts
Dragonite multiscale
crawdunt hyper cutter
Metagross clear body