• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Team Building Help Thread

Vandy74

Thanks Rocxidi! I didn't know that point about Lightning rod thank you for that heads up. I will have to look into soft resetting and read up more about IV and EV training. And thanks for heads up on the items too! I will be sure to post the full team once i have it built but it may be a while, I'm still on the island challenges haha.

Last edited:

Rocxidi

The Jim Reaper
Thanks Rocxidi! I didn't know that point about Lightning rod thank you for that heads up. I will have to look into soft resetting and read up more about IV and EV training. And thanks for heads up on the items too! I will be sure to post the full team once i have it built but it may be a while, I'm still on the island challenges haha.

That's great actually, since you still have a chance to catch all your Tapus. Tapu Koko will appear again if you choose not to catch it the first time, case you're not ready to soft reset when you find him. Just a heads up!

Ghost94

Any outside the box support ideas for a Perish Trapper Mega Gengar?

Rin-chan

Was wondering if could get some help have never been competitive and only really played Pokemon as single player or against family who no longer really play so I am kind of a beginner at this but did have a team in mind just unsure how well it would work as all I really have done is tried learning from what got used against me. I don't really like using legendary pokemon, any that are event only or those that just can't breed as well but anyway here is the team I thought of using.
I am up for a complete team rework but I'd like it if Lycanroc stays at least and I suppose Nintendo's rule format is what I would like to follow.

Lycanroc(day form) -
Sand Rush
EV - ???
Crunch
Thunder Fang
Stone Edge
Brick Break

Actually kind of just want to try using Lycanroc as I really like how it looks in it's day form and want to try use it as a quick attacker.

Tyrantrum -
Strong jaw (would like Rock Head more)
EV - ???
Crunch
Head Smash
Dragon Dance
Dragon Claw

Unsure if using him right but figure a strong physical dragon attacker I know Garchomp would be better but do like this Pokemon more especially since his head smash can really hurt if it lands although him weak to fairy, fighting, dragon, steel and ground does make me worry...

Relicanth -
Rock Head (thinking Swift Swim could be a better choice?)
EV - ???
Head Smash
Surf
Ice Beam
Stealth Rock

Just a covereage Pokemon particularly ground types nothing else really sorry.

Skarmory -
Sturdy
EV - ???
Toxic
Stealth Rock
Whirlwind
Air Slash

Just use it to set up the stealth rocks while able to take hits and allow earthquake use, have toxic there just for some extra pain on anything troublesome, whirlwind to switch pokemon for damage and air slash is there so can attack if taunted as well as deal with grass and fighting types.

Tyranitar -
Sand Stream
EV - ???
Crunch
Rock Slide
Earthquake
Dragon Claw

Setting up the sandstorm for Lycanroc as well as hitting hard and taking hits mostly though fighting and ground are problems but earthquake is for being partnered with Skarmory or when it just comes down to Tyranitar, rock slide is there for a strong rock move that hits both with bonus from rock typing and if lucky can cause flinching.

Metagross - Metagrossite
Clear Body becomes Tough Claws
EV - ???
Psychic
Meteor Mash
Earthquake
Hammer Arm

Similar to Tyranitar except no sandstorm, psychic to deal with fighting types, meteor mash for fairies and the other moves were mainly chosen for power although hammer arm does help against dark types.

Pixlazer

I'm new at Pokemon and I haven't gone into competitive yet. I know about items, abilities, IVs, EVs , types and stats, but know nil about movepool and natures. Can someone please help me put together a team and movepool? Here are the Pokemon I have shortlisted-
Naganadel
Blastoise
Kartana
Blacephon
Typhlosion
Alolan Muk
Alolan Raichu
Rayquaza
Alakazam
Aggron
Solgaleo
Gengar
Dragonite
Please notify me if you think I should consider adding other Pokemon to this list
I also want to know if it's worth trading my Blacephon/Kartana for a Celesteela.

Pixlazer

Plus I also have a Perish Song Lapras.
Lapras
Ability:Shell Armor
Item:Leftovers
Moves:
Mist
Confuse Ray
Body Slam
Perish Song
EVs:???
What should I do with it?

Archstaraptor

Team Builder / RMT
Unless suggested otherwise, run 252 Atk/ 252 Speed on all these apart from skarmory, as they are physical attackers. Anything more specific is pointless until you know what your team struggles against.
Run Jolly natures where you can on all bar skarm if you have the time and means to breed them(but don't worry about it too much).

Lycanroc(day form) -
Crunch
Thunder Fang
Stone Edge
Brick Break

Actually kind of just want to try using Lycanroc as I really like how it looks in it's day form and want to try use it as a quick attacker.
Try Lycanium-Z as your item;Consider replacing one of the other three moves with Swords Dance. Splintered Stormshards is far more powerful than thunderfang in most cases; are you running it for a particular pokemon?
Tyrantrum -
Strong jaw (would like Rock Head more)
EV - ???
Crunch
Head Smash
Dragon Dance
Dragon Claw

Unsure if using him right but figure a strong physical dragon attacker I know Garchomp would be better but do like this Pokemon more especially since his head smash can really hurt if it lands although him weak to fairy, fighting, dragon, steel and ground does make me worry...

Most fairies do not like Head Smash at all, especially after a dragon dance. Earthquake might be more useful than crunch or dragon claw, for steel types. Otherwise good set. You will want rock head if you can get it.

Relicanth -
Rock Head (thinking Swift Swim could be a better choice?)
EV - ???
Head Smash
Surf
Ice Beam
Stealth Rock

Just a covereage Pokemon particularly ground types nothing else really sorry.
Would suggest running something else here. Not a very effective answer to ground types, firstly, as it is both slow and weak to ground itself. Swift swim wouldn't be effective on this team as you're running tyranitar. Against rain teams, Relicanth struggles against common mons like Ferrothorn and Swampert ( but does well against the others).

Skarmory -
Sturdy
EV - ???
Toxic
Stealth Rock
Whirlwind
Air Slash

Just use it to set up the stealth rocks while able to take hits and allow earthquake use, have toxic there just for some extra pain on anything troublesome, whirlwind to switch pokemon for damage and air slash is there so can attack if taunted as well as deal with grass and fighting types.
EVs: 252HP,152 Def, 100Spe. Speed investment is double-edged sword on your set. Air Slash and toxic compliment each other nicely vs mons slower than skarm, but a faster roost leads to more mons able to hit skarm with a super effective earthquake. With the above slow landorus-T's (most common eq user) will outspeed you most of the time. Add more speed investment and take from HP if you want to toxic-flinch stall more things.

Tyranitar -
Sand Stream
EV - ???
Crunch
Rock Slide
Earthquake
Dragon Claw

Setting up the sandstorm for Lycanroc as well as hitting hard and taking hits mostly though fighting and ground are problems but earthquake is for being partnered with Skarmory or when it just comes down to Tyranitar, rock slide is there for a strong rock move that hits both with bonus from rock typing and if lucky can cause flinching.
Tyranitar is quite slow and hence may not take full advantage of rock slide flinching. Stone edge hits harder and is slightly more accurate. Dragon claw should be replaced by something else, perhaps ice beam, to get help get around Landorus, Gliscor etc. But Dragon Claw doesn't really achieve anything the other three attacks can't on dragons when some are flying, some are 4* weak to ice, etc.).

Metagross - Metagrossite
Clear Body becomes Tough Claws
EV - ???
Psychic
Meteor Mash
Earthquake
Hammer Arm

Similar to Tyranitar except no sandstorm, psychic to deal with fighting types, meteor mash for fairies and the other moves were mainly chosen for power although hammer arm does help against dark types.
Run Zen Headbutt instead of Psychic.

As a whole:
I count a lot of physical rock type attackers: your team can be swept by faster ground types, fighting types, steel types. Skarmory is helpful, but only whilst it stays alive. Mer You might want to consider a couple of replacements that have ground fighting resistances or immunities (plenty of ghosts/flying types to choose from).

You want more diversity in types amongst your attackers.Best of luck fighting an opposing skarmory for example. Currently your only special attacker is Relicanth, which is inherently stronger as a physical attacker.

https://www.serebii.net/abilitydex/sandveil.shtml
https://www.serebii.net/abilitydex/overcoat.shtml
https://www.serebii.net/abilitydex/magicguard.shtml
The above mons are not damaged by sandstorm. Steer clear from types that your team already has, and avoid physical attackers.
Special attackers like Cacturne, Heliolisk and Palossand would improve your team's chances vs. physical walls.

Archstaraptor

Team Builder / RMT
I'm new at Pokemon and I haven't gone into competitive yet. I know about items, abilities, IVs, EVs , types and stats, but know nil about movepool and natures. Can someone please help me put together a team and movepool? Here are the Pokemon I have shortlisted-
Blastoise
Kartana
Blacephon
Typhlosion
Alolan Muk
Alolan Raichu
Alakazam
Aggron
Gengar
Dragonite
Please notify me if you think I should consider adding other Pokemon to this list
I also want to know if it's worth trading my Blacephon/Kartana for a Celesteela.
Naganadel,Rayquaza and Solgaleo are banned from the standard competitive format, so would avoid building teams with them in.
You can find the movepools for all the above on Serebii.net by going to the S/M pokedex pages.
Blastoise's, for example, is here: https://www.serebii.net/pokedex-sm/009.shtml.

If you are instead referring to movesets then please choose six and list the movesets you have so far and we can go from there :)

For your Perish Song Lapras you probably want block and protect over body slam and confuse ray, to ensure your opponent can't just switch out, and that you get some free turns without needing to take damage. Try Investment in HP and Special defence ( Defence could work as well). You could try Icium - Z Mist to recover the damage taken vs your opponent whilst perish song is ticking away, or run a HP-restoring berry. Leftovers isn't an effective item as Lapras is weak to stealth rock and doesn't force switches.

Zelby477477

i'm gay
I've been running competitive singles teams and wanna see if I can make them work for double battle. I'm gonna list what I have and basically just wanna know which would work good together as double battles, which should be thrown out, and which pokemon to add to make it balanced.

Current USUM Comp Team:

Isthus (Ninetales-Alola) @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Aurora Veil
- Moonblast
- Hypnosis
- Freeze-Dry

Sticks (Marowak-Alola) (F) @ Thick Club
Ability: Rock Head
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Bonemerang
- Shadow Bone
- Swords Dance

Max (Toxapex) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Baneful Bunker
- Recover
- Hail

Munch (Mawile-Mega) (F) @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Thunder Punch

Iris (Alakazam-Mega) (F) @ Alakazite
Ability: Magic Guard
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute

Griffin (Porygon-Z) @ Normalium Z
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 16 HP / 252 SpA / 240 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Conversion
- Hidden Power [Ground]

I also have other trained comp pokemon if they'd be good to add instead:

Felix (Gliscor) (M) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Toxic
- Earthquake

Namor (Vaporeon) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Scald
- Toxic
- Ice Beam

Andromeda (Clefable) (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Moonlight
- Flamethrower

Bonnie (Lopunny) (F) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch

Clyde (Blaziken) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off

Iris (Alakazam) (F) @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Dazzling Gleam

Altaria (F) @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 HP / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Earthquake
- Cotton Guard
- Hyper Voice
- Roost

Furfrou (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Fur Coat
EVs: 4 SpD / 252 Defense / 252 HP
Impish Nature
- Cotton Guard
- Thunder Wave
- Return
- Dig

Azumarill (F) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 4 Spe / 252 HP / 252 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Superpower
- Play Rough
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet

Basically I want to make a team that'd be viable for VGC.

EKZ1505

I’ll just start off by saying that with the 2019 VGC rules starting next week, this team will be outdated soon if “VGC” is your goal, but it can definitely work in smogon or Battle Spot doubles still without any legends. Some of the sets can be improved for doubles, but just focusing on the Pokemon themselves: Ninetales is good, though faces big problems against other weather setters. Mawile is a good mega, Marowak is typically used as a Lightningrod supporter (shutting down opposing Koko and Zapdos) and offensive threat, and Porygon-Z is alright. Mega Zam is fine, though not one of the top megas, but Toxapex is not really good in doubles (hazards are nonexistent in VGC).

Quickly going over the alternates…Clefable is typically only used as a Follow Me supporter but can be good. Lopunny and Blaziken are both good mega options, and Azumarill is a big threat at +6 (though Snorlax has taken over the role of best Belly Drum user). The others I would not typically recommend with the sets you have as they’re too passive for doubles.

Keep in mind going forward that most Pokemon need Protect in doubles (unless they’re Choiced or holding AV of course, and fully support Pokemon might be able to get away without it as well), and let me know if you need any help with specific sets and spreads!

I've been running competitive singles teams and wanna see if I can make them work for double battle. I'm gonna list what I have and basically just wanna know which would work good together as double battles, which should be thrown out, and which pokemon to add to make it balanced.

Current USUM Comp Team:

Timid Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Moonblast
- Hypnosis
- Freeze-Dry

Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Bonemerang
- Shadow Bone
- Swords Dance

Bold Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Baneful Bunker
- Recover
- Hail

Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Thunder Punch

Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute

Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Conversion
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Toxic
- Earthquake

Calm Nature
- Wish
- Scald
- Toxic
- Ice Beam

Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Moonlight
- Flamethrower

Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch

Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off

Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Dazzling Gleam

Calm Nature
- Earthquake
- Cotton Guard
- Hyper Voice
- Roost

Furfrou (F) @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Cotton Guard
- Thunder Wave
- Return
- Dig

Adamant Nature
- Superpower
- Play Rough
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet

Archstaraptor

Team Builder / RMT

Current USUM Comp Team:

Timid Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Moonblast
- Hypnosis
- Freeze-Dry

Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Bonemerang
- Shadow Bone
- Swords Dance

Bold Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Baneful Bunker
- Recover
- Hail

Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Thunder Punch

Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute

Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Conversion
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Toxic
- Earthquake

Calm Nature
- Wish
- Scald
- Toxic
- Ice Beam

Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Moonlight
- Flamethrower

Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch

Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off

Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Dazzling Gleam

Calm Nature
- Earthquake
- Cotton Guard
- Hyper Voice
- Roost

Furfrou (F) @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Cotton Guard
- Thunder Wave
- Return
- Dig

Adamant Nature
- Superpower
- Play Rough
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet

The VGC 2018 series just ended this weekend, so you would now be looking for pokemon for the upcoming Sun Series. In other words: 2 legendaries allowed per team, but mythicals,z-crystals,mega pokemon and primal forms all banned.
It's probably going to be quite a fairy dominant series, with Xerneas paired with Tapus and Necrozma-DM/ Solgaleo being used a bunch to counter fairies.
I say probably because nothing has really happened yet :p

Ninetales-A and Marowak-A perhaps the best pair of the bunch - Ninetales-A will enjoy having a Fairy Aura boosted Moonblast and can outspeed Xerneas before Geomancy. Marowak-A being a fire type will have a strong matchup against both steel and fairy, and has high power to break through both before they can accomplish much. They also cover each others weaknesses quite well. Lightning rod might be better than rock head, should Tapu Koko, Zekrom etc. be popular.

The mons I highlight in bold don't really work in doubles, likely due to its set being more geared to singles. As EK has said, protect is an almost mandatory option on some sets.
Not to say they can't work, but Pex is very passive for the format (toxic spikes historically more effective in singles as switching is less likely); Porygon-Z , much like Kommo-o, needs support when z-converting, especially since it doesn't deal damage whilst doing so; Mega Alakazam is also quite physically frail, but a set wit sub or protect may work well.

Look into 2 legendaries you might want to try. Xerneas + Ninetales-A sounds terrifying with Aurora Veil + Power Herb Geomancy. Giratina with Icy Wind and Ghost STAB may be great against Zygardes, and aforementioned Necrozma-DM and Solgaleo.

MattWOLFHew

Hello! I'm a newbie and trying for the first time build a functional pokémon team for 7th generation battle spot's singles. After losing many times on Pokémon Showdown and watching tons of videos, I'm still not able to win more than I lose. Actually I lose almost always. So could you please look at my team and tell me what should I improve please? The idea was to build a team based on Tangrowth's defensive stats and it's ability 'Regenerator'. I inclueded also Dragonite as physical sweeper, Magnezone as special sweeper, Florges as special wall and other two pokémon (Gigalith & Samurott) to be more type flexible. So that's it. Here is the team:

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Ability: Inner Focus
Level: 50
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Pulse
- Dragon Dance
- Ice Beam

Tangrowth @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Hardy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sleep Powder
- Knock Off
- Protect

Magnezone @ Assault Vest
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Signal Beam
- Tri Attack
- Volt Switch

Florges @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Flower Veil
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Protect
- Aromatherapy
- Moonblast

Gigalith @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Superpower
- Explosion

Samurott @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Air Slash
- Ice Beam

Archstaraptor

Team Builder / RMT
Hello! I'm a newbie and trying for the first time build a functional pokémon team for 7th generation battle spot's singles. After losing many times on Pokémon Showdown and watching tons of videos, I'm still not able to win more than I lose. Actually I lose almost always. So could you please look at my team and tell me what should I improve please? The idea was to build a team based on Tangrowth's defensive stats and it's ability 'Regenerator'. I inclueded also Dragonite as physical sweeper, Magnezone as special sweeper, Florges as special wall and other two pokémon (Gigalith & Samurott) to be more type flexible. So that's it. Here is the team:

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Ability: Inner Focus
Lonely Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Pulse
- Dragon Dance
- Ice Beam

Tangrowth @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Hardy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sleep Powder
- Knock Off
- Protect

Magnezone @ Assault Vest
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Signal Beam
- Tri Attack
- Volt Switch

Florges @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Flower Veil
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Protect
- Aromatherapy
- Moonblast

Gigalith @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Superpower
- Explosion

Samurott @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Air Slash
- Ice Beam
Hi hi, better late than never :p You've chosen a great mon to build a team around in Tangrowth, it can be quite the pain to take down. I shall list recommendations member by member.

1. Dragonite
You claim it's a physical sweeper, but its only physical move is extreme speed, which is a non-STAB attack. As it stands, dragon dance isn't doing much to help dragonite, so you want to be replacing dragon pulse with dragon claw, and question how much you would need extreme speed if you are using dragon dance to allow yourself to move first anyway. Everything else about the set is nice: evs are good and ice beam is a really nice way to get past landorus-t which will switch into Dragonite often.
2. Tangrowth
Would recommend a different move instead of protect (such as earthquake to hurt steel and fire types).Tangrowth doesn't really need to stall turns with protect to get leftovers recovery: it has regenerator so can just switch out instead.
3.Magnezone
A cool set, but whether you can call it a special sweeper is debatable: Magnezone, especially an analytic one, is slow, and has no recovery. It is therefore less likely to sweep teams. Will get back to this later though.
4. Florges
Try wish over Giga drain for more consistent recovery. You already run protect, so wish + protect is guaranteed 50% recovery. Giga Drain is resisted by steel and fire types, like moonblast, but moon blast is STAB, deals more damage, and has a 30% chance of letting you take special attacks more easily. Switching out after a wish will let you heal something like magnezone who lacks recovery, so it's a really useful support move. Would also suggest EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def /4 SpA instead of SpD, since Florges doesn't really need help taking special attacks and is more likely to be targetted with physical ones.
5.Gigalith
Replace Focus sash with literally anything and it's better. Sturdy does exactly the same thing as a focus sash without needing to hold a focus sash. Custap berry is nice for when you've been brought down to sturdy. I'd personally also put a rock move like stealth rock or rock blast on gigalith. I'd question whether you need to have both earthquake AND superpower to hurt steel types, and if you can give one up for a rock move.
6.Samurott
You are missing move 4 :v
Most samurott I've seen are physical (running swords dance + aqua jet + 2 physical moves),and not special, so keep this in mind. What does air slash hit that ice beam or STAB hydro pump cannot?
Would consider investing in speed,not HP if you run air slash to capitalise on the flinch chance, and consider the few other special attacks Samurott has if Air Slash is not needed: scald, icy wind, grass knot, brine, Hidden power fire.

Hope this is useful, shout if you have any questions.

Nyani

Soooo I’m new to this forum and all and im not amazing at team building but I have a decent amount of competitive knowledge, but mayeb not specifically about the current meta. i really wanna play a team based around M. Pidgeot so i figured i ask for some help.

Pidgeot-Mega @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Big Pecks
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Heat Wave
- Roost
Pretty standard set i think but im very happy with it and like I said its really the center piece of the team. Deals tremendous damage with hurricane and pairs nicely with Victini and Rotom with Turn/Switch.

Rotom-Wash @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
Helps cover Pidgeots weak points and over all is a nice tank imo. Defog is obviously a must on any team and crippling with will-o is mostly its main focus other than keeping momentum with V-Switch.
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
Second Tank to help round out coverage, pretty standard and does what most ferrothorns do ofc, but i thought it fit with the rest of my team well.
Victini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- V-create
- Fusion Bolt
- Zen Headbutt
Victini is one i never knew i would love using. Its usually my lead unless i have an extremely obvious reason to use another. Its raw power with v-create and momentum potential coupled with excellent coverage have made it extremely fun to use, altho im debatable on Zen over Glaciate.
Mimikyu @ Mimikium Z
Ability: Disguise
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Shadow Sneak
- Destiny Bond
Minikyu and the next mon are the newest additions to the team where i found Kyurem B and Azumarill where just not being.. useful i guess? Mimikyu is obviously late game sweep usually with good switch in potential and helps me keep control of the flow of battle.
Greninja @ Focus Sash
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Hydro Pump
Greninja is mainly meant to be my wall breaker and he works fairly well altho i havnt used him too much yet. Amazing coverage with great priority is just really nice to have.
————————————
Other than getting rid of Pidgeot and Victini I’m completely up for suggestions, mainly with Mimikyu and Greninja. I need help mostly i think covering my weaknesses to the meta and probably better sets on some mons. Thanks in advance.

Archstaraptor

Team Builder / RMT
Sounds like you have a pretty solid objective :)
A few suggestions you may consider:

An item change for gren: Perhaps the quintessential set for ash-greninja in OU is one with choice specs, not focus sash, currently.
If you're looking to use it as a wall breaker, that's perhaps the community favourite set and -as someone who's been on the receiving end of it- is something that teams have to keep in mind when building your own team. Another breaking item you might consider could be metronome, which lacks the initial raw power of specs, but surpasses it in power by the third click of the move. It's good for dark pulse, since with flinches you often get the free chances to get passive boosts. But in a nutshell focus sash isn't as useful as these, and there will often be opportunities whilst hazards/weather are up where greninja will want to be pressuring the opponent. It wants battle bond to activate, so it cannot rely on hazards being off the field when the chance arises.

For Victini, I can see the appeal of glaciate as a landorus/chomp answer. What has Zen been hurting that the rest of the team cannot manage in your experience?

Either way the victini is very weak to Heatran, as is a lot of the team: defensive Heatran pressures most of the team rather easily, in my eyes(whilst rotom might lose longterm if it carries magma storm + toxic). Greninja and rotom serve as the team's sole answers currently, meaning you might have trouble with grass types paired with heatran ( which isn't rare).
But otherwise, it's not a great situation, so more consistent solutions for it might be something to think about, be it through a few changes to movesets or adding a more sturdy answer onto the team.

If it were me I'd be exploring the spot you've currently filled with mimikyu with something else with a different z-move, seeing as it's not something you're too crazy about, plus it's just compounding the tran weakness. Perhaps a dragon like Garchomp or Hydreigon (the latter also another good check to ash gren alongside ferrothorn as specs ash gren often don't carry ice beam).

A healthy Zapdos could also be problematic for you, and a static paralysis on your main answer in victini is best avoided( sure rotom switches in and takes hits but cannot hope to kill without toxic). Readding Kyurem-B is tempting, but you'd probably want your rock weakness low. You might consider something that can take electric and fire moves better and hit zapdos hard, too.

A lot of room to play with, really. Main thing to think about is probably how teams with such troublesome defensive mons may just wear you down, so clerics and/or breakers, as you have suggested, are certainly the way to go.

Other suggestions (aka more babble in quote below)
Pidgeot-Mega @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Big Pecks
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Heat Wave
- Roost
HiddenPower Ground for tran / electrics is something you might consider for added pressure vs. heatran and electrics, but hey, you have hurricane, and hurricane all you really need most of the time. Other moves seem solid.

Rotom-Wash @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
Seems fine.
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
Would contemplate a different leech seed protect mon that leaves you less weak to Zapdos, maybe Tangrowth. But you can fit a zapdos answer in elsewhere, thorn has good merits over other grasses.
Victini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- V-create
- Fusion Bolt
- Zen Headbutt
Glaciate for me until you say why you would want Zen. Killing off landorus and chomp is nice. Seems like a lot of fun to use, if a little dangerous (scarf fire types that are forced to switch with hazards up don't last long)
Mimikyu @ Mimikium Z
Ability: Disguise
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Shadow Sneak
- Destiny Bond
Doesn't really do much for Pidgeot, put it that way. Stuff like an electric immunity, rock resist or fire resist might be nice in this slot. Or a strong Heatran answer. Or a cleric to keep the sweet Scarf Victini healthy.You have two slots to play with :v
Greninja @ Focus Sash
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Hydro Pump
Cannot really go wrong with just running specs instead of sash here. It's a good standalone mon, but agree with you in that you ought to drop it if and when you find something better for the team that solves the problems I've listed before.
————————————
Other than getting rid of Pidgeot and Victini I’m completely up for suggestions, mainly with Mimikyu and Greninja. I need help mostly i think covering my weaknesses to the meta and probably better sets on some mons. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Rahus

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I need some good Victini cores. Anyone got any examples I could give a try?

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
I need some good Victini cores. Anyone got any examples I could give a try?
Tapu Koko is an obvious choice, boosting Victini's Bolt Strikes and appreciating Victini's ability to check bulky Grass types. The two also form a VoltTurn core. Mega Latios is another great partner as it can provide Defog support, lure in Heatran and Tyranitar and weaken or KO them with Earthquake, and switch into Water and Ground moves that threaten Victini. You'll also want something that can switch into Ash-Greninja pretty reliably. Tapu Bulu is an option, and Victini does appreciate Grassy Terrain weakening incoming Earthquakes as well as providing some minor passive recovery. Alternatively, Tangrowth, Ferrothorn, and Toxapex can all reliably pivot into Ash-Greninja.

Rahus

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Tapu Koko is an obvious choice, boosting Victini's Bolt Strikes and appreciating Victini's ability to check bulky Grass types. The two also form a VoltTurn core. Mega Latios is another great partner as it can provide Defog support, lure in Heatran and Tyranitar and weaken or KO them with Earthquake, and switch into Water and Ground moves that threaten Victini. You'll also want something that can switch into Ash-Greninja pretty reliably. Tapu Bulu is an option, and Victini does appreciate Grassy Terrain weakening incoming Earthquakes as well as providing some minor passive recovery. Alternatively, Tangrowth, Ferrothorn, and Toxapex can all reliably pivot into Ash-Greninja.
I'll take this all into consideration. Thank you.

Son Salo

Hi guys, im new to this. Coukd you please help me with suggestions? I have a cpuple of pokemon ready but dont know if they have good synergy. And im in doubt about the rest. Could you chose one of the ones i selected or suggest a new one. I want a expressive, original team that hasnt been seen too much
Pokemon: Greninja
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Speed, 252 sp. Attack
Nature: Speed up, attack down
- ice beam
- Grass knot
- Extrasensory
- Scald

Pokemon: Tyrantar
Ability: Sand stream
EVs: suggestion?
Nature: Suggestion
- suggestion
- suggestion
- suggestion
- suggestion

Pokemon: Scizor
Ability: Technician
EVs: Suggestion? (I want enough power and bulk)
Nature: Sp. Attack down, attack up
- bullet punch
- bug bite
- sword dance
- roost

Pokemon: Garchomp or Mega Salamence (special) (which fits better?
Ability: Protean
EVs:..
Nature:..
- sword dance - Hyper voice
- dragon claw - Draco meteor
- Earthquake? - earthquake?
- ? - flamerhrower/hydro
pump?

Pokemon: With which pokemon can i best fill in the rest of the team:
- Drapion (bulky toxic spike)?
- Gliscor (protect, aerial ace, defog, earth quake,
toxic)?
- houndoom?
- typhlosion?
- blaziken (speed boost)?
- zapdos (relative bulk, heat wave, thunderbolt,
roost, heat wave)?
- ampharos?
- espeon?
- Umbreon?
- Gardevoir?
- Feraligatr?
- Aegislash?
- sylvally?
- furfrou (defensive ability, baby doll eyes)?
- Magmortar?
- Trevenant?
If the directly above listed pokemon arent any good at all, please give me suggestion on others and the moves for it, but consider these first please

I know im asking a lot but i would really appreciate having help building an original yet strong team.

Last edited: