1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Team Building Help Thread

Discussion in '7th Gen RMT' started by Pathfinder, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Vandy74

Vandy74 Member

Thanks Rocxidi! I didn't know that point about Lightning rod thank you for that heads up. I will have to look into soft resetting and read up more about IV and EV training. And thanks for heads up on the items too! I will be sure to post the full team once i have it built but it may be a while, I'm still on the island challenges haha.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  2. Rocxidi

Rocxidi ס₪₪₪§€ΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞ7

That's great actually, since you still have a chance to catch all your Tapus. Tapu Koko will appear again if you choose not to catch it the first time, case you're not ready to soft reset when you find him. Just a heads up!

3. Ghost94

Ghost94 Legend Collector

Any outside the box support ideas for a Perish Trapper Mega Gengar?

4. Rin-chan

Rin-chan Member

Was wondering if could get some help have never been competitive and only really played Pokemon as single player or against family who no longer really play so I am kind of a beginner at this but did have a team in mind just unsure how well it would work as all I really have done is tried learning from what got used against me. I don't really like using legendary pokemon, any that are event only or those that just can't breed as well but anyway here is the team I thought of using.
    I am up for a complete team rework but I'd like it if Lycanroc stays at least and I suppose Nintendo's rule format is what I would like to follow.

Lycanroc(day form) -
    Sand Rush
    EV - ???
    Crunch
    Thunder Fang
    Stone Edge
    Brick Break

Actually kind of just want to try using Lycanroc as I really like how it looks in it's day form and want to try use it as a quick attacker.

Tyrantrum -
    Strong jaw (would like Rock Head more)
    EV - ???
    Crunch
    Head Smash
    Dragon Dance
    Dragon Claw

Unsure if using him right but figure a strong physical dragon attacker I know Garchomp would be better but do like this Pokemon more especially since his head smash can really hurt if it lands although him weak to fairy, fighting, dragon, steel and ground does make me worry...

Relicanth -
    Rock Head (thinking Swift Swim could be a better choice?)
    EV - ???
    Head Smash
    Surf
    Ice Beam
    Stealth Rock

Just a covereage Pokemon particularly ground types nothing else really sorry.

Skarmory -
    Sturdy
    EV - ???
    Toxic
    Stealth Rock
    Whirlwind
    Air Slash

Just use it to set up the stealth rocks while able to take hits and allow earthquake use, have toxic there just for some extra pain on anything troublesome, whirlwind to switch pokemon for damage and air slash is there so can attack if taunted as well as deal with grass and fighting types.

Tyranitar -
    Sand Stream
    EV - ???
    Crunch
    Rock Slide
    Earthquake
    Dragon Claw

Setting up the sandstorm for Lycanroc as well as hitting hard and taking hits mostly though fighting and ground are problems but earthquake is for being partnered with Skarmory or when it just comes down to Tyranitar, rock slide is there for a strong rock move that hits both with bonus from rock typing and if lucky can cause flinching.

Metagross - Metagrossite
    Clear Body becomes Tough Claws
    EV - ???
    Psychic
    Meteor Mash
    Earthquake
    Hammer Arm

Similar to Tyranitar except no sandstorm, psychic to deal with fighting types, meteor mash for fairies and the other moves were mainly chosen for power although hammer arm does help against dark types.

5. Pixlazer

Pixlazer New Member

I'm new at Pokemon and I haven't gone into competitive yet. I know about items, abilities, IVs, EVs , types and stats, but know nil about movepool and natures. Can someone please help me put together a team and movepool? Here are the Pokemon I have shortlisted-
    Naganadel
    Blastoise
    Kartana
    Blacephon
    Typhlosion
    Alolan Muk
    Alolan Raichu
    Rayquaza
    Alakazam
    Aggron
    Solgaleo
    Gengar
    Dragonite
    Please notify me if you think I should consider adding other Pokemon to this list
    I also want to know if it's worth trading my Blacephon/Kartana for a Celesteela.

6. Pixlazer

Pixlazer New Member

Plus I also have a Perish Song Lapras.
    Lapras
    Ability:Shell Armor
    Item:Leftovers
    Moves:
    Mist
    Confuse Ray
    Body Slam
    Perish Song
    EVs:???
    What should I do with it?

7. Archstaraptor

Archstaraptor devolved.

As a whole:
    I count a lot of physical rock type attackers: your team can be swept by faster ground types, fighting types, steel types. Skarmory is helpful, but only whilst it stays alive. Mer You might want to consider a couple of replacements that have ground fighting resistances or immunities (plenty of ghosts/flying types to choose from).

You want more diversity in types amongst your attackers.Best of luck fighting an opposing skarmory for example. Currently your only special attacker is Relicanth, which is inherently stronger as a physical attacker.

https://www.serebii.net/abilitydex/sandveil.shtml
    https://www.serebii.net/abilitydex/overcoat.shtml
    https://www.serebii.net/abilitydex/magicguard.shtml
    The above mons are not damaged by sandstorm. Steer clear from types that your team already has, and avoid physical attackers.
    Special attackers like Cacturne, Heliolisk and Palossand would improve your team's chances vs. physical walls.

8. Archstaraptor

Archstaraptor devolved.

Naganadel,Rayquaza and Solgaleo are banned from the standard competitive format, so would avoid building teams with them in.
    You can find the movepools for all the above on Serebii.net by going to the S/M pokedex pages.
    Blastoise's, for example, is here: https://www.serebii.net/pokedex-sm/009.shtml.

If you are instead referring to movesets then please choose six and list the movesets you have so far and we can go from there :)

For your Perish Song Lapras you probably want block and protect over body slam and confuse ray, to ensure your opponent can't just switch out, and that you get some free turns without needing to take damage. Try Investment in HP and Special defence ( Defence could work as well). You could try Icium - Z Mist to recover the damage taken vs your opponent whilst perish song is ticking away, or run a HP-restoring berry. Leftovers isn't an effective item as Lapras is weak to stealth rock and doesn't force switches.

9. Zelby477477

Zelby477477 i'm gay

I've been running competitive singles teams and wanna see if I can make them work for double battle. I'm gonna list what I have and basically just wanna know which would work good together as double battles, which should be thrown out, and which pokemon to add to make it balanced.

Current USUM Comp Team:

Isthus (Ninetales-Alola) @ Light Clay
    Ability: Snow Warning
    EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Aurora Veil
    - Moonblast
    - Hypnosis
    - Freeze-Dry

Sticks (Marowak-Alola) (F) @ Thick Club
    Ability: Rock Head
    Shiny: Yes
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Flare Blitz
    - Bonemerang
    - Shadow Bone
    - Swords Dance

Max (Toxapex) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
    Ability: Regenerator
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
    Bold Nature
    - Toxic Spikes
    - Baneful Bunker
    - Recover
    - Hail

Munch (Mawile-Mega) (F) @ Mawilite
    Ability: Intimidate
    EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Swords Dance
    - Play Rough
    - Sucker Punch
    - Thunder Punch

Iris (Alakazam-Mega) (F) @ Alakazite
    Ability: Magic Guard
    Timid Nature
    - Psychic
    - Focus Blast
    - Shadow Ball
    - Substitute

Griffin (Porygon-Z) @ Normalium Z
    Ability: Adaptability
    EVs: 16 HP / 252 SpA / 240 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Thunderbolt
    - Ice Beam
    - Conversion
    - Hidden Power [Ground]

I also have other trained comp pokemon if they'd be good to add instead:

Felix (Gliscor) (M) @ Toxic Orb
    Ability: Poison Heal
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
    Impish Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Roost
    - Toxic
    - Earthquake

Namor (Vaporeon) (M) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Water Absorb
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
    Calm Nature
    - Wish
    - Scald
    - Toxic
    - Ice Beam

Andromeda (Clefable) (F) @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
    Calm Nature
    - Calm Mind
    - Moonblast
    - Moonlight
    - Flamethrower

Bonnie (Lopunny) (F) @ Lopunnite
    Ability: Limber
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Fake Out
    - Return
    - High Jump Kick
    - Ice Punch

Clyde (Blaziken) (M) @ Life Orb
    Ability: Speed Boost
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - High Jump Kick
    - Flare Blitz
    - Swords Dance
    - Knock Off

Iris (Alakazam) (F) @ Focus Sash
    Timid Nature
    - Psychic
    - Shadow Ball
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Dazzling Gleam

Altaria (F) @ Altarianite
    Ability: Natural Cure
    EVs: 4 Def / 252 HP / 252 SpD
    Calm Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Cotton Guard
    - Hyper Voice
    - Roost

Furfrou (F) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Fur Coat
    EVs: 4 SpD / 252 Defense / 252 HP
    Impish Nature
    - Cotton Guard
    - Thunder Wave
    - Return
    - Dig

Azumarill (F) @ Sitrus Berry
    Ability: Huge Power
    EVs: 4 Spe / 252 HP / 252 Atk
    Adamant Nature
    - Superpower
    - Play Rough
    - Belly Drum
    - Aqua Jet

Basically I want to make a team that'd be viable for VGC.

10. EKZ1505

EKZ1505 Trust The Process

I’ll just start off by saying that with the 2019 VGC rules starting next week, this team will be outdated soon if “VGC” is your goal, but it can definitely work in smogon or Battle Spot doubles still without any legends. Some of the sets can be improved for doubles, but just focusing on the Pokemon themselves: Ninetales is good, though faces big problems against other weather setters. Mawile is a good mega, Marowak is typically used as a Lightningrod supporter (shutting down opposing Koko and Zapdos) and offensive threat, and Porygon-Z is alright. Mega Zam is fine, though not one of the top megas, but Toxapex is not really good in doubles (hazards are nonexistent in VGC).

Quickly going over the alternates…Clefable is typically only used as a Follow Me supporter but can be good. Lopunny and Blaziken are both good mega options, and Azumarill is a big threat at +6 (though Snorlax has taken over the role of best Belly Drum user). The others I would not typically recommend with the sets you have as they’re too passive for doubles.

Keep in mind going forward that most Pokemon need Protect in doubles (unless they’re Choiced or holding AV of course, and fully support Pokemon might be able to get away without it as well), and let me know if you need any help with specific sets and spreads!

11. Archstaraptor

Archstaraptor devolved.

The VGC 2018 series just ended this weekend, so you would now be looking for pokemon for the upcoming Sun Series. In other words: 2 legendaries allowed per team, but mythicals,z-crystals,mega pokemon and primal forms all banned.
    It's probably going to be quite a fairy dominant series, with Xerneas paired with Tapus and Necrozma-DM/ Solgaleo being used a bunch to counter fairies.
    I say probably because nothing has really happened yet :p

Ninetales-A and Marowak-A perhaps the best pair of the bunch - Ninetales-A will enjoy having a Fairy Aura boosted Moonblast and can outspeed Xerneas before Geomancy. Marowak-A being a fire type will have a strong matchup against both steel and fairy, and has high power to break through both before they can accomplish much. They also cover each others weaknesses quite well. Lightning rod might be better than rock head, should Tapu Koko, Zekrom etc. be popular.

The mons I highlight in bold don't really work in doubles, likely due to its set being more geared to singles. As EK has said, protect is an almost mandatory option on some sets.
    Not to say they can't work, but Pex is very passive for the format (toxic spikes historically more effective in singles as switching is less likely); Porygon-Z , much like Kommo-o, needs support when z-converting, especially since it doesn't deal damage whilst doing so; Mega Alakazam is also quite physically frail, but a set wit sub or protect may work well.

Look into 2 legendaries you might want to try. Xerneas + Ninetales-A sounds terrifying with Aurora Veil + Power Herb Geomancy. Giratina with Icy Wind and Ghost STAB may be great against Zygardes, and aforementioned Necrozma-DM and Solgaleo.

12. MattWOLFHew

MattWOLFHew New Member

Hello! I'm a newbie and trying for the first time build a functional pokémon team for 7th generation battle spot's singles. After losing many times on Pokémon Showdown and watching tons of videos, I'm still not able to win more than I lose. Actually I lose almost always. So could you please look at my team and tell me what should I improve please? The idea was to build a team based on Tangrowth's defensive stats and it's ability 'Regenerator'. I inclueded also Dragonite as physical sweeper, Magnezone as special sweeper, Florges as special wall and other two pokémon (Gigalith & Samurott) to be more type flexible. So that's it. Here is the team:

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
    Ability: Inner Focus
    Level: 50
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
    Lonely Nature
    - Extreme Speed
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Dragon Dance
    - Ice Beam

Tangrowth @ Leftovers
    Ability: Regenerator
    Level: 50