• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Team Dead Kennedys - Smogon OU Hyper Offense/ SmashPass team

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Hey, it's that lunatic again with another Hyper Offense team, this one built around SmashPass Smeargle. Instead of using entry hazards and prediction to **** up opponents, the idea here is to get a powerful sweeper set up, plant its *** down, and **** entire teams up. Despite a glaring triple Ghost weakness and no defensive value whatsoever, I find this team has a suprisingly good track record, 5 wins and 0 losses on PS, 16 wins and 7 losses on PO, not counting when my opponent drops out at the beginning of the match. Plus, the most threatening Ghost I've ever faced is Scarfed Chandelure, who dies to Heatran. Gengar falls to Azelf and my own Gengar, who also handle Jellicent, and other than that there really aren't any other Ghost threats.

Team Building Process
So, first we have SmashPass Smeargle.
;235;
Now, who do I want to SmashPass to? How about Heatran? With his like 12 resistances/immunities, he doesn't overly mind the Defence drops, so he's good.
;235; ;485;
Hmm. Before I go any farther, I think I'll take a dual-pronged approach, and add a Dual Screen'er. That way, even if my SmashPass sweeper goes down, they still have a Dual Screens sweeper to worry about.
;235; ;485; ;196;
Azelf works great under both SmashPass and Dual Screens, plus I've been looking for an excuse to use him for ages now.
;235; ;485; ;196; ;482;
What else do I need? Well... To be honest I just threw Gengar in there for the hell of it, and he actually worked really well.
;235; ;485; ;196; ;482; ;094;
And of course, we have the King Revengekiller binding my team together, who also gives me a more reliable answer to Tyranitar in case Gengar's Focus Miss... Well... Misses.
;235; ;485; ;196; ;482; ;094; ;445;

235.gif

The Man with the Dogs
Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Nature: Timid
Trait: Own Tempo
252 Speed, 252 HP, 4 Def
-Spore
-Magic Coat
-Shell Smash
-Baton Pass

"I am no one
But I'm well known
For I am the Man with the Dogs"

We've all seen this, SmashPass Smeargle. Focus Sash ensures he can Spore an enemy, set up a Shell Smash as the opponent switches out, and then Baton Pass it to one of my more threatening sweepers. Magic Coat is fun if I'm positive Stealth Rocks or Spore is coming in, or against opposing Smeargle leads, which are rare.

094.gif

Chemical Warfare
Gengar @ Black Sludge
Trait: Levitate
252 Speed, 252 Sp. Atk, 4 HP
-Substitute
-Disable
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast

"Now I got my own mustard gas stuffed in my pocket
Gonna climb out on a tree somewhere and drop it
On a country club full of Saturday golfers
So I can watch them die, shakin' in convulsions"

Gengar comes to my team as my first sweeper. With good typing, 110 base Speed, and 130 base Sp. Atk, it's no surprise Gengar hasn't left OU since his release. SubDisable Gengar is particularly annoying. We all know how it works, use Substitute to scout a move, then Disable it. ShadowBlast gives perfect coverage on everything in the game. Gengar is particularly deadly if I manage to pass him a Shell Smash, as nothing really outspeeds a +2 Gengar, and not much can take his attacks after a boost.

482.gif

Chickensh*t Conformists
Azelf @ Expert Belt
252 Speed, 252 Sp. Atk, 4 HP
-Hidden Power (Ice)
-Psyshock
-Thunderbolt
-Flamethrower

"The more things change, the more they stay the same"

Meet Azelf, the spirit of willpower (undeniably cool) and a top DPPt threat. I'm using him cause he works great under both SmashPass and Dual Screens. His movepool is awesome, but for some reason lacks Ice Beam despite including Thunderbolt and Flamethrower, so Hidden Power (Ice) serves well enough to blow away those Dragons. Psyshock is a sturdy STAB that gives the pink blobs a nasty surprise, and Thunderbolt completes the Bolt-Beam combo. Flamethrower toasts incoming Ferrothorn, Scizor, and Forretress, ends Abomasnow, and hurts Celebi more than HP Ice. Expert Belt lets me bluff a Choice set and comes without that nasty Life Orb recoil, key if I want to SmashPass to him.

485.gif

Saturday Night Holocaust
Heatran @ Air Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
252 Sp. Atk, 252 Speed, 4 HP
-Fire Blast
-Earth Power
-Dragon Pulse
-Hidden Power (Grass)

"If I lit a match to you
You'd melt before my eyes"

This Heatran is a variant of the usual Flame Charge set I run, meant for receiving Shell Smashes and then blowing entire teams away with STAB Fire Blasts. Earth Power hits Fire types hard, Dragon Pulse nails... Well... Dragons, and Hidden Power (Grass) hits bulky Waters. Not really much to be said here.

445.gif

Holiday in Cambodia
Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Nature: Naive
Trait: Rough Skin
252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
-Earthquake
-Outrage
-Fire Blast
-Dragon Claw

"It's time to taste what you most fear
Right guard will not help you here
Brace yourself, my dear...
Brace yourself, my dear..."

Garchomp brings some much-needed physical muscle to my team and generally ****s up everything late-game. Choice Scarf Garchomp is something we're all familiar with, but just for the sake of jesusfreak not locking this, Outrage and Earthquake murder everything not named Skarmory, who dies to Fire Blast. Dragon Claw is a solidly powerful STAB that I can switch out of. Garchomp also revengekills things like Tyranitar, and sweeps late-game after Steel types have been removed from play.

196.gif

I honestly couldn't think of a Dead Kennedys song for this one...
Espeon @ Light Clay
Trait: Magic Bounce
252 Speed, 252 HP, 4 Sp. Atk
-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Baton Pass
-Calm Mind

And here we have Espeon, your mandatory Dual Screens setter in case my Shell Smash sweeper dies. Also, she bounces hazards back onto my opponent which is nice since I carry no spinner. Calm Mind is pretty much filler, but sometimes she can Baton Pass it to Azelf or Heatran and that's always nice.

So anyways, I'm not sure if the team is good, I'm good, or if I'm just getting extremely lucky (probably option C.) but I've passed the 1.5k rating mark after 5 battles which is better than I've been able to do with anything except my Rain team. I still feel I can do better though, and the team has serious balance issues, so that's why I posted it.

Minor Threat (Azelf) @ Expert Belt
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower

Suicidal Tendencies (Smeargle) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Spore
- Shell Smash
- Magic Coat
- Baton Pass

Dead Kennedys (Gengar) @ Black Sludge
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Substitute
- Disable

Black Flag (Garchomp) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Stone Edge

Agent Orange (Heatran) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Spd / 252 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Bad Brains (Espeon) @ Light Clay
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Calm Mind
- Baton Pass

Last edited:

loco1234

BEEDOOBEEDOOBEEDOO
Well, I haven't got a whole lot of time or HO knowledge, but 2 things:

First, the theme. YES.

Second, I'm pretty sure Magic Bounce bounces Taunt too, so Espeon isn't exactly Taunt bait anyway.

SkyDriver

Hiding in the grass
You are pretty weak to both Dark and Ghost (3/1) and Dark types like weavile and Scrafty can also beat Heatran before the SSPass.
Chomp FBlast > FFang for more power
Also no real revenge killer. ScarfChomp > current chomp could fix that, as it kills the DD Dragons etc. with great ease

Utopian

faults & feats
you to lose DDnite + SDLuke [dual prior], and Sub SDTerrak. yeah i can only find threats im bad at fixing teams. have a nice day.

well i guess running scarf latios > espeon can ease the problem, just trick them before they set up and if you already lost the scarf, you still outspeed all 3 regardless (w/o boosts)

and losing espeon isnt so bad since smearlge is running magic coat.

but yeah dual prior SD luke cleanly 6-0's you (not sure if ex speed OHKO's chompy but w/ prior damage from hazards or w/e youre done)

and you can just bs smeargle lead and run max speed taunt deo d, seems legitt

Last edited:

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Well, I haven't got a whole lot of time or HO knowledge, but 2 things:

First, the theme. YES.

Second, I'm pretty sure Magic Bounce bounces Taunt too, so Espeon isn't exactly Taunt bait anyway.

YES.

And yeah, I'm trying a few different things like Calm Mind to Baton Pass with.

you to lose DDnite + SDLuke [dual prior], and Sub SDTerrak. yeah i can only find threats im bad at fixing teams. have a nice day.

well i guess running scarf latios > espeon can ease the problem, just trick them before they set up and if you already lost the scarf, you still outspeed all 3 regardless (w/o boosts)

and losing espeon isnt so bad since smearlge is running magic coat.

but yeah dual prior SD luke cleanly 6-0's you (not sure if ex speed OHKO's chompy but w/ prior damage from hazards or w/e youre done)

and you can just bs smeargle lead and run max speed taunt deo d, seems legitt

Last edited by Jets; Yesterday at 8:15 PM.

Yeah, this is becoming clear to me... I'm actually thinking of Scarfing Azelf, he doesn't do much setting up anyways. As is, he mostly revengekills stuff even without the scarf, if I Scarf him I can run Modest and still outpace base 100 Scarf'ers. However, Azelf can't handle Luke's Extremespeed... Thank God nobody runs Luke anymore, but still... If I don't SmashPass, I'm in trouble. I'll play around a little with the Latis and a few other revengekillers, see what I can do.

Hauntershadow92

The Mono-type Man
If you do keep Espeon, I'd suggest Stored Power > Psychic if it is receiving any boosts. Just my 2 cents.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
A couple random battle logs. I played pretty terribly in these, but I'm still in lower ladder so I still get guys who try to Earthquake my Balloon Heatran. Also, I made some changes (namely Scarfing Garchomp and slapping an E-Belt on Azelf) and they seem to be working great. I'm a bit worried about my only physical sweeper being Choiced but Psyshock on Azelf helps with that a lot.

On Unholy Detriment, the alt I used to test this team, I got to 1612 and then switched to DR, so at least I'm improving. My Rain peaked at 1670 or so, I want to try for 2k with this team.

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oucurrent7033659
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oucurrent7031988
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oucurrent7039152

Last edited:

Dr.Chaos

stick in the mud
I notice that Tyranitar can give you problems; I'd like to suggest Terrakion or Lucario on your team to deal with it.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
I notice that Tyranitar can give you problems; I'd like to suggest Terrakion or Lucario on your team to deal with it.

Hmm, a Terrakion certainly would help my Luke problem.

Testing Scarf Terrakion > Garchomp, and updated post with some other changes I made.

Dragonicwari

Artistically angry
A lot of HO teams run only special OR physical attackers. So you may want to switch garchomp to hydreigon or some fancy stuff like that

Soul_Fly

The Crazy Russian runs the same Annoying Smeargle set, but it's a baton pass to Thundurus, So ask him, He knows this playstyle very well.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
A lot of HO teams run only special OR physical attackers. So you may want to switch garchomp to hydreigon or some fancy stuff like that

I think I'll keep Garchomp in. Hydreigon's great, but Garchomp seems to be the superior Scarfer and late-game sweeper.

---

Thoughts on Dual Chop > Dragon Claw? I like the ability to beat SubPunch'ers and OHKO Focus Sash'ers, and they both have the same power, although Dual Chop does have only 90% accuracy.

Trace★

Banned
Cool team I fought it on ladder. Ur a bit vulnerable to sub sd terrakion and garchomp though, as they can set up on smeargle. I'd swap axels for a cresselia to use as a utility counter since I think you have enough Pokemon to sweep with already

Atrocious

HO is all about stacking sweepers and wallbreakers so Cresselia would just hurt the team unless it was like dual screens which there are other things that can do it better like Espeon.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Cool team I fought it on ladder. Ur a bit vulnerable to sub sd terrakion and garchomp though, as they can set up on smeargle. I'd swap axels for a cresselia to use as a utility counter since I think you have enough Pokemon to sweep with already
Axels? You mean Azelf, or axel as in pivot? Maybe Dual Screens Cresselia > Espeon solely for Lunar Dance, but Cresselia doesn't check either of the things you mentioned, and she can't bounce hazards. As for Azelf, the only thing I'd think about switching him for is Alakazam, and Alakazam lacks Flamethrower and Levitate, plus all of Azelf's badass-ness.

azeem40

Pokemon is fun!
Lucario cannot OHKO Azelf with Extremespeed. It does 50.86% - 60.14% (148 - 175) to standard Azelf with Extremespeed while you OHKO Lucario with Fire Blast.

Last edited:

azeem40

Pokemon is fun!
That link doesn't lead me to a battle.