• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Team Flare Attacks! The Zygarde at the Prism Tower!! (935)

Janovy

Banned
Or the dragon rage than can utterly destroy ships even though it's a weak dragon move rather than a water move.
You do realize games =/= anime?

Weak or not weak, Dragon Rage is a blast of energy that would likely obliterate a non-animated human.

AuraKshatriya

My biggest gripe about this episode is Confuse Ray of all things getting treated as a OHKO on not just Ash but Pikachu as well.

While it is a departure from the pure in-game effect of inflicting Confusion, the actual concept of the move itself is ambiguous enough for incapacitation to be somewhat believable. "Confuse" is only present in the international name - originally it's just called "Eerie Light", the implication being that some sort of paranormal flashing lights interfere with the opponent's mind. That can technically be interpreted as them just becoming disorientated, or outright losing consciousness (both of which occurred in this episode).

Plus, humans have often been depicted as far more susceptible to Pokemon moves than Pokemon themselves - just Chimchar biting Ash's arm caused him to bleed, whereas Krookodile using Crunch on Dragonite's arm didn't even break the skin.

Last edited:

Janovy

Banned
I thought it was obvious that humans/objects are more vulnerable to attacks than Pokemon are.

A move's strength has nothing to do with it.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
You do realize games =/= anime?

Weak or not weak, Dragon Rage is a blast of energy that would likely obliterate a non-animated human.

On what planet does blast of fire-like energy equal typhoon?

Janovy

Banned
On what planet does blast of fire-like energy equal typhoon?
Pokemon version of Earth?

And what makes you think Dragon energy is fire-like? It is clearly more powerful than that.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Pokemon version of Earth?

And what makes you think Dragon energy is fire-like? It is clearly more powerful than that.

It's more like a concussive blast of fire rather than a blast of heat. Everywhere else including other parts of the anime, dragon rage is depicted as concussive fire.

Janovy

Banned
It's more like a concussive blast of fire rather than a blast of heat. Everywhere else including other parts of the anime, dragon rage is depicted as concussive fire.
I've always perceived it as a blast of energy rather than a blast of fire, but to each his own.

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
At least Lysandre had the decency to coil Talonflame and Noivern around the body, instead of hanging them up by their wings and talons.

Don't want to hurt the poor things before he commits genocide, after all. That's going too far.

Navin

MALDREAD
Mal's Review:

[IMG300]https://i.ytimg.com/vi/QGcgOyR1RVQ/maxresdefault.jpg[/IMG300]

Pros:

* "Zettai Akiramenai!" Based OP is based

* Ash helping Alain find his girl - what a bro

* Conflict with real consequences = tension

* Morally grey Alain - I love it. This is why there needs to be more anti-heroes/villains in this show...

* Lysandre is out of his mind

Cons:

* Perhaps less of a con and more of a thought unless it actually wasn't explained, but why is Lysandre trying to crucify Ash and his team..?

* Sending a Skorupi against a Garchomp...smh, no wonder Lysandre needs a lieutenant like Alain

* So...Malva didn't know about Lysandre's intentions? Shame, I was actually hoping for an evil Elite 4

Thoughts:

* Terrorists attack the capital of PokeFrance - **** is getting too real life

* Ecoterrorism gone overboard kids

* Somebody got inspired by Caster from Fate/Zero with them regenerating tentacle spam

Ah, so they are making up for the Kalos League being a B-plot by giving us what can shape up to be an epic and emotional Flare climax. There might yet be an episode in this arc that can top Mega Evolution Act III (the best episode in the XY(&Z) series so far).

9/10

Greneuliest808

Future Graduate
Overall, a great setup episode that will lead to a potential emotional climax.

Here is what I liked:

Ash going with Alain to get Mairin

Ash finding out that Alain works for Lysandre and TF

Alain feeling conflicted

Lots of tension

Lysandre becoming a mad man

What I don't like:

Sawyer and the rival trio being in the background just helping civilians

Malva surprised at Lysandre's doings

Overall, a great episode that makes up for the ironic ending to the Kalos League. I will give this score a 9.2/10

Mia Blaze

I'mma gonna Deku in the face, Kacchan
Just saw it on Youtube and I've gotta say, the dub did a pretty good job on this one for the standards the dub is held in by fans.

Alain was as confused and conflicted in voice as he was in the Japanese version. Although some lines didn't match the mouth movements, looking at you Jessie and Bonnie, the rest were pretty close to the original. Overall, a good start to what is one of the best evil team arcs in the history of Pokemon. Can't wait to see what they do with next week's episode, with what transpires in that they will have to deliver.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
To be true, the Team Flare arc was awesome. But the disappointment of the League took over me so I couldn't enjoy it fully.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.

Not exactly the prettiest sight to see first thing in the morning... *shrugs*

I expected a little more from Alain. He's just in quiet shock.

I'm glad the 1,246 people of the city are safe and the buildings were all conveniently empty. Sceptile is such a hero...handing out blankets.

Real classy, writers. Put Korrina first before every other gym leader just because of aura jackal. Poor Viola had to stick with a butterfly.

Lastly, too much Brooklyn Rage from Z-1. And seriously? His voice remains the same even as a giant slug?

Will Ash die for his sins at last? Oh, wait. Chosen one. Dammit, Lysandre.

Ha ha. My DirecTV guide screwed up and the description of the episode doesn't say "Squishy" but "Puni-chan".

And then "Team Flare" is called "Flare-Dan".

Flare Dan is right, I think.

This was a pretty decent episode. I kinda like these episodes where everyone works together to stop some big catastrophe.

Epicocity

Flare Dan is right, I think.

Not in English. In English they're called Team Flare (especially since "dan" isn't even a word in English).

In any case, in terms of the episode dubbed, it definitely wasn't as cringy as some of the past ones have been. I do feel a little of the tension was left out, but when the voice actors needed to, they brought it. Especially Lysandre...but I could listen to that man's voice all day. It's beyond smooth. Though I love how the narrator feels the need to qualify that Alain is separate from "our heroes".

DS0308

<--- Actually me
I don't know about you guys, but I was in complete shock when they revealed Squishy to be Zygarde. What a magnificent twist

If you haven't seen any info about Sun and Moon or looked at the information that was released before XYZ began last year then yes, it would be a shock. Probably more than 90% of the forum knew this so it's not exactly one for us. :p Although I did like that everyone was all "it's a Zygarde WTF".

-----

Did they really need to change how Squishy does its wololo and it's roar when it goes 10%? It's far less menacing in the dub, just sounds like a regular dog. Where's the booming echo at?

Seemed like the episode used purely dub BGM which only really worked for about half the episode tbh. If they touch the VS Team Flare theme in next episode... Voice acting is fine apart from like one or two lines just being said weirdly but that's normal. I believe they changed Blaziken Mask's line from saying they could die if they went to Prism Tower to them being in "mortal danger", which seems to be the more fluffy way of saying the same thing.

Still a good episode by the dub.