• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Team Help in Fire Red

joshuadubya

Just got an emulator on my phone and this is my first time playing through the Gen 1 remakes and would like some help with my team. Currently in Fuchsia about to challenge the gym. I tried to mix up my team and use pokemon I haven't used before. Also trying to keep my move sets balanced without too much overlap. Below are the moves I plan to teach them. I really need help with Dragonite

Note: In-game only. Trading not an option

Charizard Lv 42
Fly
Sunny Day
Flamethrower
Earthquake

Pikachu Lv 41 (will evolve to Raichu)
Thunderbolt
Thunderwave
Double Team
Strength

Exeggcute Lv 35 (will evolve to Exeggcutor)
Psychic
Sleep Powder
Leech Seed
Solar Beam

Marowak Lv 35
Bonemarang
Mega Kick
Rockslide
Dig

Lapras Lv 35
Sing
Ice Beam
Thunder
Surf

Dratini Lv 27 (will evolve to Dragonite)
?
?
?
?

Also thinking about swapping one of my team out with Haunter

((JAWS))

Johto Boy
Marowak
-Earthquake
-Boomerang
-Rock Slide
-Hidden Power

Charizard
-Iron Tail (Rock)
-Flamethrower
-Sunny Day
-Solar Beam (Water)
If you have sunny day at least get a solar beam combo running

Dragonite
-Dragon Dance
-Dragon Claw
-Flamethrower
-Ice Beam

Lapras
-Surf
-Thunderbolt/Thunder
-Psychic (Fighting Types)
-Sing/Ice Beam

Pikachu@Light Ball
-Thunderbolt
-Double Team
-Quick Attack
-Light Screen
Great Pikach right here as it boosts stats.

Emeraldfan

Since I don't know whether you want to use TM's and because I'm unsure what TM's you can get without going through too much trouble, this rate will mostly feature moves that can be learned by HM / Level-up, so they may not be the best, but in-game, that doesn't really matter that much. If you want I could rate this team and include egg-moves, TM's and the like in the rate, but for now, I won't.

Charizard
Lonely / Naughty
~ Flamethrower
~ Fly
~ Metal Claw
~ Slash

Charizard is not amongst the fastest of Pokémon, but still has a decent base speed of 100. Enough speed to sacrifice the +speed nature for a +attack one, to boost both Metal Claw and Slash. I realise that this is your starter, and that you won't be able to change the nature. It is, however, not listed in the OP, so I'll give you one anyway.

Marowak @ Thick Club
Adamant @ Rock Head
~ Bonemerang
~ Double Edge
~ False Swipe
~ Rock Slide

All you really need is Bonemerang+Double Edge. The only Pokémon that resist this combination are Shedinja, Aerodactyl and Skarmory. If you want to teach Marowak Rock Slide, that would solve these problems, so I'll list it as an option. False Swipe is just a filler, but helps with catching stuff. Adamant to boost attack, the same goes for Thick Club. Rock Head so that you negate the recoil damage from Double Edge.

Raichu
Mild / Rash
~ Thunderbolt
~ Thunder Wave
~ Slam
~ Quick Attack / Light Screen

The Pikachu line has got an awful movepool, so this is all it can do with the level-up moves it gets. Thunderbolt gets STAB and is therefore your main attack. Thunder Wave to both slow things down and possibly render them unable to attack. Slam for some coverage. The last move is mostly a filler. Quick Attack gets priority, so you can use it to pick of weakened foes. Light Screen is more of a supporting move. Mild/Rash boosts Special Attack, so that Thunderbolt is as powerful as it gets.
I wouldn't run a Pikachu with Light Ball, since that only boosts Special Attack. Raichu doesn't get quite as much Special Attack as a Pikachu with Light Ball, but has higher Speed and Attack, and the Special Attack difference isn't all that big.

Exeggutor
Sassy
~ Leech Seed
~ Hypnosis / Poisonpowder
~ Solarbeam
~ Uproar

Another Pokémon with a barren movepool. Sassy lowers speed, but boosts Special Defence. Combined with Leech Seed, and maybe a Light Screen, this allows for stalling mostly. Poisonpowder helps with that even more, Hypnosis puts stuff to sleep, rendering them unable to attack you. Solarbeam is the only offensive Grass move it gets, Uproar for some sort of coverage.

Lapras
Quiet @ Water Absorb
~ Surf
~ Ice Beam
~ Body Slam
~ Confuse Ray

Surf and Ice Beam are two great STAB moves. Body Slam gets coverage against other Water types and has a nifty chance of paralyzing the opponent. Confuse Ray acts as a filler, but might help. Don't rely on it too much though, it'll probably fail you when you need it most. Quiet nature boosts Special Attack in exchance for some speed loss.

Now, for the last Pokémon I'd personally ditch Dragonite. It only adds further to your Rock and Ice Weakness. As for what you could use: a Fighting type covers Rock and hits both Rock and Ice for SE damage. That being said, you really don't need much to beat in-game, and if you really want a great team, you should probably be using some different Pokémon. But that's not always what it's about. So I'll give you a set for Dragonite, and I'll look for a Fighting type Pokémon you could use.

Dragonite
Mild / Rash
~ Agility
~ Outrage
~ Surf
~ Fly

It is a shame to lower Dragonite's defences, but it's really all you can do if you want to run a set that doesn't require breeding and TM-moves. Outrage+Surf is unresisted, and both run off the Special Attack stat, hence the Special Attack boosting natures. Fly is a filler, but a STAB move nonetheless.

Hitmonlee
Jolly
~ Hi Jump Kick
~ Mega Kick
~ Foresight
~ Meditate / Brick Break

Hi Jump Kick is powerful and gets STAB, but has this nasty side effect that it may damage your own Pokémon if the move misses. Jolly boosts speed so that Hitmonlee may outspeed most of the Pokémon you'll encounter. Mega Kick for coverage, Foresight so that you may hit Ghost type Pokémon. Meditate boosts your attack, whilst Brick Break allows you to have a STAB without risking recoil.

Last edited:

joshuadubya

Thanks Emeraldfan, I probably will ditch dragonite. I already chose hitmonchan at the fighting dojo, but I'm assuming I could use a similar setup but with punching moves

Emeraldfan

You can, but it won't be as effective. In Generations I, II and III there is a special/physical split per type, not per move. Fire, Water, Electric, Dark, Psychic, Grass, Ice and Dragon are Special, the rest is Physical. Hitmonchan's Special Attack is awful (35 Base). You can use the punching moves, and they will have some effect, but not a whole lot, so don't rely on them too much. This is the set I'd use:

Hitmonchan
Lonely
~ Sky Uppercut
~ Mega Punch
~ Ice Punch
~ Thunderpunch

Lonely, because Hitmonchan's speed is not quite as high as Hitmonlee's, so it won't outspeed that much, even with boosted speed, so Lonely boosts Attack instead. Sky Uppercut is your main STAB move, Mega Punch for coverage. The same goes for Ice and Thunderpunch, but they are special based moves, so don't expect too much from it.