• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Team HydreRonaGross

Darkerones

SlowpokeHunter
Team HydreRonaGross!

As part of my comeback to competitive Pokemon i remade my favorite DS team on PO! With some major changes to make this team as good as i intended it to,heres how i got to the final product:

I've always wanted to try out the new psuedo legendary Hydregion,so I decided to build my first 5th gen team around him*

Next came the second member of the core,Volcarona. His coverage may be mediocre but has great stats and can take fighting and ice attacks that Hydregion fears like a man and they compliment each other very well.

So now I have to cover Volcaronas rock weakness and I decided to use Metagross. Oh my god,this*core*works*wonders for me as each pokemon covers the others weaknesses. Hydreigon is immune to Metas ground weakness and resists his fire weakness. While Metagross takes Ice and Dragon and Rock for the former two. Now that the core is done,now comes the support.

Since my core involves switching a lot and Volcarona has that nasty SR weakness a spinner was a must. *Tentacruel is very appealing because it can set up Toxic Spikes as well which is quite useful to me. A STABed Water move also helped to take down those pesky TauntApes and Areodactyl. All of his weaknesses are covered by Hydreigon*

As soon as I decided to use Toxic Spikes I knew a Spinblocker would be ideal. After some thought though I decided

It was not worth the team slot for

JUST Toxic Spikes. But then I took a look at Gengar. Always loved the guy,always will. Why not add him? He covers Hydregions fighting and Bug weaknesses as well as Metagrosses and Tentas Ground.*

From the start I knew Special walls such as Jellicent where going to be a problem so I needed another physical attacker.............SEAKING! HELL YAH!

Just Kidding! Gallade fit my bill perfectly with access to the always welcome STAB CCbat and Leaf Blade to slam Jellicent trying to stall. Other than that he is mostly filler.

Eventually I decided that my ground weaknesses were a bit much so I replaced Tentacruel with Starmie. He offers better coverage along with Recover.

Sadly Starmie was quickly replaced because of it's Psychic typing that gave me a huge Ghost weakness. Blastoise may not be the best spinner in OU but he settled in nicely with his pure Water typing and nice bulk on both sides.

Blastoise didnt last long either as a spinner because of a gaping Excadrill weakness. So i came up with Claydol,being able to both Rapid Spin and counter the damn mole. Unfortunatley my Ghost weakness has reappearred but resisting the QuakeEdge combo most Excadrill carry is too good.

Gallade just wasent pulling his weight together and gave the team a huge ghost weakness as well as a flying one. But where could i find another Physical attacker with great coverage and little weaknesses? At first I thought Eelektross,but then i thought i would turn to one of the most unappreciated Electric types,and so far he has worked great,with both higher Speed and Attack and coverage than Gallade and a better Ability that is easier to use

After I decided to stick with Electivire I brought Starmie back so I can actually use Motor Drive and I missed having my offensive spinner.

FINAL LINEUP:

Honestly Gengar was mostly a filler mon and ended up deadweight more and more,so i replaced him with Porygon2,who added a much needed defensive backbone to the team.

Closer Look:

Hydregion@Choice Scarf

Levitate

Modest

252 Speed 252 Sp attack 4 HP

Flamethrower

Draco Meteor

Dark Pulse

Focus Blast

Hydregion lead is rather original and mine puts most weather teams at an early disadvantage by being able to KO T-Tar,Abomasnow,Bronzong under some circumstances,most Ninetales and severely cripple the Toad swiftly if they don't switch. Immune to spikes he can switch out and in freely most of the time on attacks aimed at other team members (EQ most notable). Basically just tear through whatever you can

hit super effectively until you die,simple. Im using a scarf to outrun most threats and revenge kill,including Jolly Haxorus. Dark Pulse is nice secondary STAB and is my best option against Slowbro and Espeon. i chose Flamethrower over Fire Blast since most steels ill be hitting have a double weakness to it and mediocre special defenses. i guess i could run Fire Blast for Metagross though.

Volcarona@Chesto Berry

Flame Body

Bold

252 Defence 252 HP 4 Speed

Fiery dance

Quiver Dance

HP Fighting

Rest

Looks peculiar at first but is meant to switch into a fighting attack meant for Hydregion and hopefully burn it. If it doesn't switch or get burned i can go for the KO and then Rest off some damage. If the attacker does switch I can Quiver Dance until I need to Rest up and then attempt a sweep. Fiery Dance is best for a set like this that want as many boosts as possible. HP Fighting offers nice coverage alongside our STAB move and gives Heatran,a pokemon ussually eager to switch into Rona,a nasty surprise. The EVs and nature allow Volcarona to fire off as many Quiver Dances as possible before having to Rest up. Even with max defence and HP it still cant take a Stone Edge,thats what Metagross is for though. Thanks to D-nite FTW for recommending a set like this.

Metagross@Leftovers

Clear Body

Adamant

252 Attack 252 HP 4 SP Defence

Bullet punch/Meteor Mash

Hammer Arm

Ice Punch

Thunderpunch

I decided to change my Metagross from an Agility sweeper to a more Tankish approach. As you can see a BoltBeam combo going on here to deal with Gyarados and Gliscor,as well as Skarmory and Dragonite. Hammer Arm is a great offensive move for Metagross as now it can hit Tyranitar much harder as well as Ferrothorn,and it ensures RotomW doesnt wall it (but ill rarely keep him in on Rotom for long or at all). Bullet Punch seems like a whimpy sole STAB move but provides much needed priority and belittles the speed penalty that comes with Hammer Arm,often times a very close to fatal blow on say,Latias, Is an oppurtunity to use Bullet Punch to spare Metagross from an extra blow. Besides,Metagross does not suffer offensivley at all,so running Bullet Punch is very viable however the much more powerful Meteor Mash is still an option. Leftovers is to(obviously) provide Metagross with an extended lifetime.

Starmie@Leftovers

Natural Cure

Timid

252 SP attack 252 Speed 4 HP

Ice beam

Scald

Rapid Spin

Thunder

Whoaaa,this ain't the same Starmie as before. Scald? Thunder? Awesome Picture? Since the bulky Starmie set just wasnt convincing i added Scald as my STAB move so i can potentially burn Darmanitan and Scrafty and others. Thunder is here mainly to screw over the Toad and abuse the popularity of Rain teams as well as just to knock Skarm right outta the sky in one go,despite the accuracy. Ice Beam covers dragons and Gliscor as always and of course Rapid Spin provides Starmies main niche. I kept the spinning seastar mainly for synergy with Electivire,so whenever Rotom,Jolteon or even other Starmie start getting in my hair i can just switch,activate Motor Drive and go wild. I also kept leftovers on him just for added survivability and so i wouldnt have to turn to Life Orb. Yes hes an offensive spinner but in the end just a spinner,and i cant have him killing himself with his own attacks.

Electivire@Expert Belt

Motor Drive

Jolly

252 Attack 252 Speed 4 Defense

Wild Charge

Ice Punch

Cross Chop

Earthquake

This is Electivires classic Super Effective set straight from Gen 4,and works wonders with a Motor Drive boost,after Conkeldurr and Eelektross are gone this guy tears through teams like a hot knife through butter,as i have run into whole teams that Electivire can hit Super Effectively. Wild Charge is Electivires most reliable form of STAB and cuts straight through Jellicent,Gyarados and the occasional Braviery,Ice Punch blows holes into Gliscor and Salamence. Cross Chops accuracy may be shaky but sends Tyranitar and Chansey/Blissey running and helps Electivire hold its own against Ferrothorn as well. EQ rounds off the coverage hitting Heatran and Infernape and opposing Metagross. I thought about Fire Punch but it has relativley low BP and i already had Hydreigon with flamethrower so ultimatley EQ was the better choice. Not much changed here.

Porygon2@Eviolite

Trace/Download

Calm

252 HP 252 SP Defence 4 Defence

Tri Attack/Toxic

Ice Beam

Thunderbolt

Recover

Ahhh the saving grace to an otherwise fairly frail team. Being able to take hits on both ends of the spectrum Porygon2 spams Recover like no other while dishing out damage with the infamous BoltBeam combo. The EVs and Nature provided make Porygon2 a great mixed wall thanks to Eviolite. Tri Attack provides a consistent STAB move and a decent chance to inflict status,but Toxic wears down the bulkiest of foes,either way im still utterly walled by Ferrothorn. Trace was recomended to potentially copy immunities but the SP Attack boost often provided by Download sometimes proves useful as well. Help me choose guys!

Please point out holes in my team and rate it honestly,I can take legit critisism. It can be harsh as long as it is reasonable and points out clear weaknesses for my benefit,not just to flame me.

Last edited:

Darkerones

SlowpokeHunter
Bump......*sigh*

DarkForce

Unknown Trainer
Why not Modest on Gengar? And if I were you I'd go for more power on him with LO or, if you don't like the recoil, CB or CS insted of Sash. And go for Black Sludge on Tentacruel.
An alternative for Gengar would be Alakazam, since Magic Guard is just awesome.

Leche

Omg Shiny Scrafty!!!
please post sprites or pictures...

Darkerones

SlowpokeHunter
I've replaced tentacrual with starmie. And it doesn't matter if it's modest,he still can't survive anything. And my Mild one has great IVs. And Focus Sash is mainly for Setup sweepers and Destiny Bond. I'll think about specs
though.. And if you want pictures,I need links

Darkerones

SlowpokeHunter
I've replaced tentacrual with starmie. And it doesn't matter if it's modest,he still can't survive anything. And my Mild one has great IVs. And Focus Sash is mainly for Setup sweepers and Destiny Bond. I'll think about specs
though.. And if you want pictures,I need links

DarkForce

Unknown Trainer
You can just use the smiley icons SPPF provides like this:
;100;;200;;300;;400;:500:

Darkerones

SlowpokeHunter
Hmmm I seee ;468; ;140; ;199;

edit: HHmmm I seee ;468; ;140; ;199; ;111;;140;;028;

edit: Hmmm,how come the Unova Sprites don't work?

DarkForce

Unknown Trainer
You need to use the colons :: instead of the semicolons ;;.

On-topic: Night Slash over Leaf Blade for Gallade to take care of the Ghost weakness.

Darkerones

SlowpokeHunter
Okay so colons for Unova sprites? Got it.

And I'll think about Night Slash...I've also been considering Shadow Sneak. But I can't get myself to get rid of Leaf Blade cuz I'll lose coverage on Swampert and Carracosta and it has higher BP.

Fixed my sprite problem

Last edited:

Darkerones

SlowpokeHunter
Bumpppp. Made some changes.

DarkForce

Unknown Trainer
Well you can also consider Surf for Blastoise cuz it has more accuracy than Hydro Pump but less power. But I'd go for Hydro Pump because 80 accuracy does not usually bother me. However, i'd switch Ice Beam with Blizzard because 70 accuracy DOES bother me, but you can still consider Blizzard.

Darkerones

SlowpokeHunter
Surf...that's interesting. But the ability to burn say...an opposing Sawsbuck on the switch is pretty valuable. An I'll go ahead and get Ice Beam because Blizzard so far hasent been very friendly to me in Battle Subway,but I'm worried about the loss of power,esspecially against Haxorus and Opposing Hydreigon

Last edited:

Dark Sharpedo

s tier of dopeness
Surf...that's interesting. But the ability to burn say...an opposing Sawsbuck on the switch is pretty valuable. An I'll go ahead and get Ice Beam because Blizzard so far hasent been very friendly to me in Battle Subway,but I'm worried about the loss of power,esspecially against Haxorus and Opposing Hydreigon

Dont worry, Ice Beam can OHKO Haxorus very easiley, since it's very frail... Hydreigon it may not, but it could get close...
I would switch it, because it will do decent damage in battle.

Darkerones

SlowpokeHunter
Dont worry, Ice Beam can OHKO Haxorus very easiley, since it's very frail... Hydreigon it may not, but it could get close...
I would switch it, because it will do decent damage in battle.

I see your point. I'm just really paranoid about Haxorus as the lil mofo has swept me on numerous occasions,but only once with this team. I don't want a second. Oh and can anyone suggest an effective way to counter Latios? I've never faced one but he seems like he could rape this team o.o

so Ice Beam and Hydro Pump? I'm running Scald for now since I have to wait till level 60something before he learns Hydro again,I chose not to eveolve him till he learned it just for this team (which was level 40 with Squirtle)

Last edited:

Darkerones

SlowpokeHunter
Major changes! rate it!

Darkerones

SlowpokeHunter
do i really have to bump this again? oh and someone on Smogon suggested i use Donphan instead of Blastoise,should i replace him or not?

BradMaster384

Rayquaza Trainer
I see your point. I'm just really paranoid about Haxorus as the lil mofo has swept me on numerous occasions,but only once with this team. I don't want a second. Oh and can anyone suggest an effective way to counter Latios? I've never faced one but he seems like he could rape this team o.o

so Ice Beam and Hydro Pump? I'm running Scald for now since I have to wait till level 60something before he learns Hydro again,I chose not to eveolve him till he learned it just for this team (which was level 40 with Squirtle)

if you want to counter latios, metagross does just fine because he resistsboth of latios's STABs. tyranitar gets a special defense boost from sandstorm and can hit it with pursuit or crunch. ice beam and hydro pump seems like the most effective moveset.

Darkerones

SlowpokeHunter
if you want to counter latios, metagross does just fine because he resistsboth of latios's STABs. tyranitar gets a special defense boost from sandstorm and can hit it with pursuit or crunch. ice beam and hydro pump seems like the most effective moveset.

did you forget that Latios often run HP fire? thats how the last Latios i dealt with raped my Metagross

BradMaster384

Rayquaza Trainer
tyranitars can counter them easily with special defense boost. a sub-disable gengar could cause some problems for them if you disable psyshock/psychic.