• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Team (insert clever name here)

Mr. Marowak

was wrong about Gen6
Salutations, fellow Pokemon fans! I'm here with my first decent competitive team, as in not my favorites, but actual OU 'Mons. I've used them in a few battles already, and they seem to fare well, with a 4:3 win/loss ratio out of the ~30 battles played (I know that isn't a lot, but time is an issue).

AT A GLANCE:
392.gif
485.gif
073.gif
479-wash.gif
094.gif
612.gif

392.gif

I started with a mixed attacker, which I love. It needed to have breakneck speeds and a massive variety of type coverage. With one of its types being Fighting, among the best offensive types in the game, being an amazing all-around wall-breaker, and being on fire, Infernape immediately joined team (insert clever title here).

392.gif
242.gif

Since Infernape is so frail, I needed something immensely bulky to help fill in the cracks. Among the list of top walls in OU: Blissey. Over 700 HP and a gigantic Sp. Def, with team healing options and free 100 damage (Remember, this thing has no attacking stats), Blissey was my next choice.

392.gif
242.gif
232.gif

But, alas! I still have no physical defenders, nor Stealth Rock support, nor a Spinner! Rocks would annihilate the Nape. Since it'd have only one or two attacking moves, it should be some sort of offensive type --- Ground --- and when you still technically have a space open, why not a little priority? It's needed somewhere. And that is the story behind Donphan.

392.gif
242.gif
232.gif
479-wash.gif

This is the Cleanser. Here for one reason, and only one. With the Nape and Donphan, there's a huge Water Weakness so far. With it as one of its types, now, it can better resist such an attack. It also has STAB as one of the two types that are SE against Water. With it being pretty hefty itself, it can stand up to a few hits. Oh, I forgot! Cleanser is a Rotom-Wash.

392.gif
242.gif
232.gif
479-wash.gif
065.gif
612.gif

These two can be done in a single step. My team had a mixed attacker, a special wall, a physically bulky SR/Spinner, and Rotom-W. I needed some one-spectrum Attackers. I also could use a Dragon to combat all the other Dragons, and a Psychic-Type to deal with rival Blisseys and the like. Haxorus' Dragon Dance set seemed to fit, and Alakazam, being wicked fast, with wicked high Sp. Atk and a vast pool of moves, was the missing piece.

392.gif
485.gif
073.gif
479-wash.gif
094.gif
612.gif

Alakazam wasn't doing very well. Another user had recommended Gengar, and by God, does it work! It functions basically the same as the Zam, so I feel no need for a lengthy description. Hratran went over Blissey, since I ended up saving it for last, anyway. With that, though, I had a huge Water weakness, especially Rain. To remedy this, Tentacruel replaced Donphan.

And with that, team (insert clever name here) is done! For now...

IN-DEPTH:

392.gif
@ Life Orb
Naïve, Blaze
-Overheat
-Close Combat
-Stone Edge U-Turn
-HP Ice
EV's: 252 Atk, 4 S. Atk, 252 Speed

This is Furious Geroge, my mixed attacking primate. Overheat is a great STAB move, and since you'll be going in and out anyway, it's great for guerilla warfare. Close Combat is another superb option, especially since your Defense drops won't matter anyway, what with Nape's frailty. Stone Edge is added for coverage, and makes a monkey out of Gyarados and the like. U-Turn is for when stat un-boosts are too meddlesome, or a switch too risky. HP Ice is a bit more unusual, but just as effective. Oh, you switched in a Salamence? Enjoy being OHKO'd! True story. It drove that guy bananas. You may see I haven't used Iron Fist. That's because there are no punching moves, unless CC counts.

485.gif
@ Leftovers
Calm, Flash Fire
-Will-O-Wisp
-Stealth Rock
-Lava Plume
-Hidden Power Ice
EV's: 248 HP, 160 Speed, 100 Sp. Def

Meet Major Hottie, my special tank and Rockawisper (Stealth Rock + Will-O-Wisp). Will-O-Wisp is a big help against all those physical users, halving their Attack and slowly killing them off, but it can be used for almost anyone else. Stealth Rock is so well-known, I should'nt even have to describe it. But I will. It's a one-layer entry hazard, which utilizes the opponent's Rock Weakness, and is great for dealing with Flying, Fire, and the like. Lava Plume is Heatran's secret weapon against Taunters, with a 30% chance to burn, and is overall a decent attack. According to Smogon, "Since Pokemon immune to Toxic... can trouble Heatran if it chooses to run these moves... HP Ice [is an option] over Protect to take out threats."

073.gif
@ Black Sludge
Bold, Rain Dish
-Scald
-Ice Beam
-Toxic Spikes
-Rapid Spin
EV's: 252 HP, 16 Speed, 240 Def

This is Squidward, my Spinning Toxic Spiker and rain-abuser. Toxic Spikes is a quick way to put up an unsanitary entry hazard, which can really put some pressure on the opposite team. Rapid Spin is a quick way to remove hazards I get hurt by, and this guy's got a pretty good rep for dealing with those kinda things. Ice Beam is a move as valuable as it gets for Tentacruel, since it hits all types (mainly Ground and Grass) for some sort of damage. Scald is normally less than awesome, but with STAB, it's like getting hit with a pot of boiling spaghetti at 30 mph. It'l sting, it'll throb, and it's probably gonna leave a burn.At this point, my puns have been erased due to team changes/

479-wash.gif
@ Life Orb
Modest, Levitate
-Substitute
-Pain Split
-Thunderbolt
-Hydro Pump
EV's: 252 Speed, 236S. Atk, 20 Sp. Def

Here is The Cleanser, my rain blocking, SubSplit Rotom-W. With low HP, SubSplit is easy to pull off. With Volt Switch everywhere, an example being TrickSpecs Rotom formes, one can usually put up a doll turn 1. According to Smogon: “Substitute and Pain Split form an effective combo that can put dents into opponents while safely restoring Rotom-W's health. The EVs and a Modest nature are designed to give Rotom-W the most power and Speed while giving its Substitute a good chance of surviving Gastrodon's rain-boosted Scald. Hydro Pump provides Rotom-W with a powerful STAB; in a similar vein, Thunderbolt is chosen to provide power while still remaining reliable.”

094.gif
@ Focus Sash
Timid, Levitate
-Substitute
-HP Fire
-Focus Blast
-Shadow Ball
EV's: 252 S. Atk, 252 Speed, 4 HP

this is GenGULP!, my special sweeper. Substitute puts a doll in front of your face which likes protecting you. Always good for wicked fast Mons. Focus Blast and Shadow Ball have incredible coverage, and the latter is STAB. HP Fire is for the occasional Scizor or Ferro (two Pokes that could wreak havoc after Ape is gone) and defeats them like crazy. According to Smogon: "Due to the popularity of the previous two sets, Hidden Power Fire is sometimes neglected as a possible third move that can unexpectedly smash Scizor and Ferrothorn for the OHKO. Hidden Power Fire also hits Skarmory, Bronzong, and Jirachi for super effective damage, possibly 2HKOing Jirachi with Spikes on the field. Since Focus Blast's inability to hit consistently is such a letdown, Hidden Power Fire makes a great option over Thunderbolt for hitting Steel-types. "

612.gif
@ Lum Berry
Adamant, Mold Breaker
-Dragon Dance
-Earthquake
-Outrage
-Taunt
EV's: 36 HP, 252 Atk, 220 Speed

Meet Hax 'R' Us Kid, my main physical sweeper. His 97 Base speed is nothing to sneeze at, but just barely outsped. This, unlike most base 100's, can be remedied with Dragon Dance. The extra Attack boost is nice, too. Outrage is a STAB move that can get reckless, what with the no switching thing. Earthquake Is added for coverage, and taking care of Steels. Taunt is to assure that you can at least get a DD up, because it will stop other taunters, nix Base >97s and Prankster users. The EV spread maximizes power, but not sacrificing speed or survivability.

LAST LOOK:​

392.png
485.png
073.png
479-wash.png
094.png
612.png

THREAT LIST: (how it's helped)
Ghosts (Gengar, Rotom has Shadow Ball)
Weather, mainly Sand (Rain- Rotom)

Constructive criticism will be welcomed with open arms. Sprites aren't mine. New changes in red, formers crossed out. Go to town... and thank you!​

Last edited:

Klaus™

Banned
hmmm...i'm not that good of a rater, but i'll do my best :)

first off, on ape, i suggest trying u-turn over either stone edge or hp ice. with cc and overheat, it fits in really well.

for blissey, it seems alright, but what's your counter to gengar? other than your monstrous hp and special defense. tbh, i don't really have anything for this problem though. :(

you do seem to have a problem against ghosts. to keep an offensive strategy going, you could try a snorlax with curse, earthquake, return, and crunch, with the evs and nature for whether you want it to be defensive physically or specially. replace blissey with it.

everything else seems good, but what pokemon give you trouble?

Mr. Marowak

was wrong about Gen6
on ape, i suggest trying u-turn over either stone edge or hp ice. with cc and overheat, it fits in really well.
I'm with you. Probably ditching SE; it hasn't proved all that reliable.

for blissey, it seems alright, but what's your counter to gengar? other than your monstrous hp and special defense. tbh, i don't really have anything for this problem though.
'Zam, though that's probably not the best. Maybe I could stick Shadow Ball on Cleaner somewhere. It's not standard, but hey.

you do seem to have a problem against ghosts. to keep an offensive strategy going, you could try a snorlax with curse, earthquake, return, and crunch, with the evs and nature for whether you want it to be defensive physically or specially. replace blissey with it.
A bit vague, though I'm guessing the EVs are on Smogon. Is there a pure special WallLax out there?

everything else seems good, but what pokemon give you trouble?
This team's pretty new, so I can't say for sure. Ghosts are indeed on there, and Weather, especially Sand, sure doesn't help.

Klaus™

Banned
A bit vague, though I'm guessing the EVs are on Smogon. Is there a pure special WallLax out there?

i wasn't thinking really about a wall, more of a tank, but maybe this set can work:

snorlax @leftovers
-thick fat-
careful
188 hp/ 104 defence/ 216 special defence
-curse
-return
-crunch
-rest/earthquake

or... you could max hp and special defence, and whatever else you need. this would be a purely special wall/tank

Mr. Marowak

was wrong about Gen6
i wasn't thinking really about a wall, more of a tank, but maybe this set can work:

snorlax @leftovers
-thick fat-
careful
188 hp/ 104 defence/ 216 special defence
-curse
-return
-crunch
-rest/earthquake

or... you could max hp and special defence, and whatever else you need. this would be a purely special wall/tank

A tank, huh? It's still pretty bulky.

Thank you! If it works, I'll replace it on the OP. This is now the thing I'll always say when making substitutions.

Mr. Marowak

was wrong about Gen6
no problem. idk how to solve your sandstorm problem, other than to maybe add a pokemon that benefits from it? maybe gliscor or landorus? i dont do anti-weather teams, i MAKE weather teams lol. proof= check out my rate, lol

Weather makes me sick.

Mr. Marowak

was wrong about Gen6
lolz, how about dual-weather? that is way different than regular, boring, single weather. but yeah, i think acrobat gliscor can work. with sand veil, flying gem, max attack and speed, and acrobatics, swords dance, sub, and eq. that can work.

If I have the whole set, and who it gets rid of, I can start the test.

Klaus™

Banned
hmm...gliscor is more to be a pain in the *** for sandstorm. he doesn't really take out much, except he can take out t-tar in 2 hits, provided t-tar doesn't have ice beam. gliscor can also take out gengar, who gives your team problems.

gliscor @flying gem
-sand veil-
adamant
252 attack/ 4 defence/ 252 speed
substitute
swords dance
acrobatics
earthquake

sigh...if only gliscor got unburden..lol

jeffdavid102

TSS Forever
i also use infernape, but this set is better for it:
Infernape (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Iron Fist
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Fire Punch
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- ThunderPunch

Iron Fist boosts the power of fire punch and thunder punch. Close Combat is the greatest fighting type moev, unless you want to go for priority with mach punch. And stone edge is great coverage

Mr. Marowak

was wrong about Gen6
Infernape (M) @ Life Orb
- Fire Punch
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- ThunderPunch

Iron Fist boosts the power of fire punch and thunder punch. Close Combat is the greatest fighting type moev, unless you want to go for priority with mach punch. And stone edge is great coverage

I use Infernape as a mixer because then it can take on defenders from both ends of the spectrum. This set does, however, look very useful.

EDIT: If my friction' (auto-correct, shut up) Smogon profile opens up, I can edit in Replacement Gengar (For the Zam.)
MORE EDIT: Done, also made the post more streamlined.

Last edited:

wereboar

BE AFRAID!
To me it seems like you have a very big weakness to fighting, especially conk. To fix this I suggest adding a bulky flying type like scor instead of donphan since your not actually that weak to stealth rock, and add stealth rock on blissey in place of heal bell. Sorry I don't actually have much to say. Pretty good looking team though!

Last edited:

Too Funk to Druck

I am America
Infernape (M) @ Life Orb
- Fire Punch
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- ThunderPunch

You can't have Fire Punch or Thunder Punch with Iron Fist because Iron Fist Chimchar was only released as male, and Fire Punch and Thunder Punch are egg moves/4th Gen move tutor moves.

NoteLobo

Banned
You can't have Fire Punch or Thunder Punch with Iron Fist because Iron Fist Chimchar was only released as male, and Fire Punch and Thunder Punch are egg moves/4th Gen move tutor moves.
You could breed it through into a female Pokemon using a Ditto and then get the egg moves I am 90% sure of it.

Too Funk to Druck

I am America
You could breed it through into a female Pokemon using a Ditto and then get the egg moves I am 90% sure of it.

The only way to breed a DW ability down is if you're breeding a female with a DW ability with any non-Ditto Pokemon in it's egg group. It's only been released as male, so you can't pass the DW ability down at all.

TrollFreak

Pit is Awesome :P
with no resistances to rock and just 1 resistance to psychic, Choice Band Terrakion and Trick Room Reiunclus will give you trouble. Full rate comign later :)

EDIT- update the OP with the sets please, makes it easier to rate

Mr. Marowak

was wrong about Gen6
So, my edits apparently didn't save... but now that they did, I can say I EDITED the OP.

It would appear that there are a few threats, like Psychic-Types and Terrakion. Any ideas?

spuds4ever

Firstly, you have a huge weakness to mold-breaker EQ, so if someone gets out a choice scarf haxorus on you, you can kiss those ladder points good bye.

Gengar is pretty redundant as he does pretty much rotom's job (and running focus sash with substitute is pretty stupid btw) so I would replace it with celebi who still gives you a solid fighting switch-in. I would highly reccomend switching infernape to a choice scarf set as other wise any dragon dancer will destroy your team. Terrakion is still a problem, though.