• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Team New World(OU)

UmbreonLord

5th Gen OU
Team New World​

Welcome one and all to my second attempt at a B/W OU team, my first one was a bit inconsistent, and I didn't like playing with it, so here I am, asking you guys for help with my second team! I've played around with it for a while now, but I can't seem to climb higher than a rating of around 1250. Here's the process so far...

After battling several people with my first team, and seeing how great Excadrill is, I decided I'd make him the core of my team.

530.gif

Next, I knew I needed something to set up a sandstorm, I decided on a Choice Scarf Tyranitar, as it would be an effective revenge killer.
Tyranitar.gif

530.gif

Now, I knew I needed a solid defensive core to take hits for Tyranitar and Excadrill, I decided on Ferrothorn, for its overall bulk on both Special and Physical Defence, and Vaporeon, for its ability to use Wish, and help heal the other members of the team

Vaporeon.gif

598.gif

Tyranitar.gif

530.gif

Now, I decided on a lead. I knew I needed something to set up some form of entry hazards, and I chose a Lead Infernape, which had been useful in the past.
Infernape.png

Vaporeon.gif

598.gif

Tyranitar.gif

530.gif

Afterwards, I decided I needed something that has a lot of resistances, and could also take a few hits if needed. I decided on Latias.
Infernape.png

Vaporeon.gif

598.gif

Tyranitar.gif

530.gif

Spr_4p_380.png

After battling on Pokemon Online, I decided that Breloom was a problem, so I swapped Latias' Leftovers with a Lum Berry, and I also thought that my lead was inefficient, so I decided to try out Machamp, whilst replacing Ferrothorn's Spikes with Stealth Rock.
Machamp.png

Vaporeon.gif

598.gif

Tyranitar.gif

530.gif

Spr_4p_380.png

And now, I ask you, oh wise team raters, to help me improve my team! Here are the 'mons in all their glory.

machamp.png

Machamp @ Lum Berry
Adamant nature
Trait: No Guard
EVs: 240 HP / 248 Atk / 16 SpD / 4 Spe

-DynamicPunch
-Bullet Punch
-Ice Punch/Payback
-Stone Edge/Payback

After much deliberation, I chose Machamp as a lead. Why? Because it can be used early game, and be saved for late game when both teams are worn down. The EVs are fairly standard for a Lead Machamp. DynamicPunch is there for a great STAB attack and a 100% confusion rate if it connects, what is there not to like about this move when a pokemon with No Guard is using it? Bullet Punch is for a good priority move, now, I'm thinking of changing Ice Punch or Stone Edge for Payback, which do you think would be better, and why?

anime380.jpg

Latias @ Lum Berry
Timid Nature
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Sp. Atk / 180 Spe

-Recover
-Draco Meteor
-Thunderbolt
-HP Fire

Latias has been useful to me in previous generations, and has decent bulk on both ends of the spectrum, whilst having a high special attack. The EVs in Special Attack are obvious, whilst the EVs in Speed give it enough to outrun a large portion of the metagame, whilst the HP EVs are there to give latias a bit of extra bulk. Recover is there to restore health after Latias takes a bit of a beating, Draco Meteor is there for a good strong STAB attack, that has a fair chance of KOing anything that isn't a steel type, Thunderbolt is here to take out things like Gyarados, who could be a problem if they manage to get 2 DDs off, Hidden Power Fire is here to deal with Steel types that Latias could otherwise unharm, and provides a check to Ferrothorn.

120px-598Nattorei.png

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 Sp. Def

-Power Whip
-Stealth Rock
-Leech Seed
-Gyro Ball

Ferrothorn is one of the two main walls in the team, he's here for his massive bulk and ability to counter many 'mons in the current metagame. The EVs here are standard for a Ferrothorn. Power Whip is here for a great STAB attack, a 120 BP STAB attack thrown off a base 95 attack is nothing to laugh at, Stealth Rock is here to provide much needed entry hazards, turning many 2HKOs in to OHKOs. Leech Seed is there to help Ferrothorn recover health, and Gyro Ball is to hit fast sweepers hard.

134Vaporeon.png

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252HP / 252 Def/ 6 Sp. Def

-Wish
-Protect
-HP Electric
-Scald

Vaporeon is the second of my defending duo, he has good synergy with Ferrothorn, as where Ferrothorn can't handle a fire attack, Vaporeon laughs at a fire attack. The EVs for Vaporeon are fairly standard, Wish is here to provide invaluable recovery for the rest of the team, Protect is in to scout moves out, HP Electric is to hurt Starmie and Gyarados, and Scald is used over Surf for the 30% chance of burning whatever it hits.

Tyranitar.gif

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 6 HP / 252Atk / 252 Spe

-Stone Edge
-Crunch
-Pursuit
-Superpower

Tyranitiar is the team's revenge killer and the one who sets up a sandstorm for Excadrill, this is the reason he's here, along with being a powerhouse alone. The EVs on this Tyranitar are fairly standard, Stone Edge is for a good STAB attack to hurt a wide variety of pokemon, Crunch is here for some secondary STAB, Pursuit is to KO a fleeing Blissey and ghosts, Superpower's job is to kill steel types who would otherwise be a problem for Tyranitar.

530Excadrill.png

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
Trait: Sand Throw
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

-Swords Dance
-X-Scissor
-Rock Slide
-Earthquake

Excadrill, the sweeper and main attacker of the team. His job is to go in late game and pick off the remnants of the opposing team. The EVs are there to give him the maximum potential for sweeping, and the Jolly nature is there to outspeed other Excadrills, to avoid a speed tie. Swords Dance is there to boost his attack to astronomical levels, X-Scissor is to hit a large variety of pokemon, Rock Slide is there to hit flying types, who would otherwise stop Excadrill's sweeping, and Earthquake is there as it's a good STAB attack.

Thankyou for taking the time to read my team, please post comments on how to improve it. Apologies for the images at the top not going horizontal, but I'm unsure on how to correct it.

Mewtwo_soul

Servant of Mewtwo #1
@Machamp: Payback doesn't seem that great, a Psychic will kill you regardless of that move and Ghosts can easily be killed by Stone Edge.

----
Vaps could run a different support move in place of HP. Considering the whole (Water/Bulky Water) is handled well enough by Latias. Toxic is a great choice on such a set.

----

TTar: I think EQ is better than Crunch, Pursuit exists already and although it is only at 40 BP if they don't switch out more than likely considering it is more offensive they will.

---

Not much to say on the rest.

artbomber_97

Ultimate Aritist
Actually Payback is OK, since it gives you something to deal with the Deoxys variants. Vaporeon needs the HP Electric to stop Gyarados, although it's somewhat scared by Scald.
Crunch serves as a reliable and main STAB move, while Pursuit is to play mind-games and psuedo-trap opponents like Lati@s or Gengar.

Mewtwo_soul

Servant of Mewtwo #1
Given, actually now that I see it's between Ice Punch and Payback, Payback is probably the better option.

---

On Vaps: Meh, I was just looking at it from Vaps Vs. Vaps, or other supporters that hate being Toxi stalled. (Tox + Pro + Wish= Hate)

---

On TTar: meh,it's reliable but locked always makes me go "eh" on double choices. Then again I guess SE + SP cover everything EQ does anyway.