• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

TEAM RAWR! My [ RMT ] Thread!

J0J0Boy

No, no all of this is great, I just need advice on what suits my team as a whole. I am confident enough that I will be able to deal with Mences, with Ice shard on my Donphan and Vappy, so I think that should be taken care of. So do you think my vappy's moveset is okay? The wish is my only source of HP Recovering other then any items I could use instead.
As for the Scizor issue, you're right. I should simply put it into the hands of luck and predictability. Houndoom should help me with it, but Snorlax backs me up effectively. I hate to rely on luck with Fire blast, as its accuracy is a total let down, but since Snorlax has rest, high HP, AND Sleep talk, I think I can afford to slip in a move such a Fire Blast then...
Given, that fire blast is alot more greater then the physical fire attack, I think it would be wise to adopt your idea and fill out the fourth move with a Fire Blast. Its my last option to deal with Scizor. I think I just have to. So my final moveset for my Snorlax would be:-
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Fire Blast [ Taking care of Skarms and Scizors ]
- Earthquake [ Physical STAB for anything else, Infernapes for example - using this as now I don't have Body Slam ]

What do you think? Should I go with this option then? :)

Captain Noob

Feelin' Sleepy
Generally, a Snorlax will still pick Body Slam over Earthquake. This is because Body Slam is STAB and has an effective power of 127/128 where Earthquake only has 100 (because it isn't STAB. ) Also, for the Rest Talker set, the 30% paralysis is a nice bonus, and to be honest, Body Slam would probably OHKO an Infernape anyway (but, you must note that an Infernape will OHKO Snorlax with Close Combat when given half a chance). If you really wanna run Earthquake, change the set to a Curse or Choice Band set. This way, you can use Fire Punch instead because of the extra Attack Curse/Choice Band gives, if you don't fancy this miss rate. The Choice Band set could carry Body Slam/Return, Earthquake, Fire Punch and Selfdestruct. This is because Resting becomes pointless; Snorlax will still take Special hits and then Selfdestruct before it goes down. I suggest you look over http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/snorlax sets again and try and find a compromise for your tastes, because the Curser has more open attack options but no Sleep Talk, but you'll get the recovery that the Bander doesn't. The Sleep Talker is more sturdy which is why I initially suggested it, but if you really see Scizor as a meaty threat you'll have to run the Fire Blast.

Oh, yeah, and Vaporeon is okay. You'll just have to be careful with Wish because of the heal delay. A good opening would be to switch into a water move, and force a switch. You can then use Wish in the free turn. Anyway, as I say, draft this a bit and test in on Shoddy. That way, you havn't got anything to lose.

J0J0Boy

Yea, I'm just going to come up with another Snorlax Moveset. There rest of the Pokemon should be okay in general right? I'm going to have a look at the Smogon site now. Thanks a bunch x

cloudk

hates you.
This team looks extremely weak to Salamence. The new Mixmence abuses both Outrage and Draco Meteor, though from the looks of it, Draco Meteor alone will tear a big hole in this team. Vaporeon can only stand up to Draco Meteor once before having to heal itself again.

Scizor also looks like it's a huge threat to this team, U-turning about. I can't think of a pokemon that can counter both Mence and Scizor, though i think Zapdos might work. Still have to look out for Draco Meteor though.

Zapdos is countered by Tyranitar however, which your team is weak to also. CB Stone Edges will cause a lot of damage to this particular team. Donphan, your only rock resist, will usually be worn out after setting up Rocks and Such, as the bulky leads nowadays like Swampert and Metagross can survive anything Donphan throws at it and hit it right back.

You are weak to Tyranitar, Scizor and Salamence, all of whom are the top 10 most used pokemon, and to be able to battle efficiently, i strongly recommend you find a way to counter them.

I also question Donphan's ability to be a good lead. Why did you pick it? If you picked it due to it's good defences, if both are running the same EV spread, Metagross will always be bulkier due to the distrubution of it's stats. If you are using Donphan because of priority attacks, take note that Metagross has got a priority move in the form of Bullet Punch.

If you are using Donphan due to it's moves providing good coverage, Swampert also has good coverage but won't get screwed over by Lead Infernapes and Heatrans.

I don't understand why you're using Houndoom either. A Great movepool dosen't matter if a pokemon only needs core moves to be able to function properly(Salamence, Heatran). Your Houndoom falls under this category. Also, it is outclassed by others. As a Nasty Plot sweeper, it is outclassed by Porygon-Z. As a generic Fire type, it is outclassed by Heatran and Infernape.

There is no need to be so paranoid about Gengar. It only carries Hypnosis 19.5% of the time and even if it does carry it, that shaky 60% accuracy isn't too worrying.

Finally, this team lacks speed.

Captain Noob

Feelin' Sleepy
To be honest though, this team would end up becoming "oh, just 6 OU Pokés I threw together" again. The fact that Toxicroak and Houndoom are in it is unique, and to a lesser extent, Vaporeon and Donphan. Zapdos would work, I agree, but I've never understood how people get a good one without cheating; you'd need Hidden Power Ice. Salamence is a threat. I deal with both Scizor and Mence with Mixape, which may be better than the Houndoom (wait, who am I kidding? It will be better in this scenario). Again, getting HP Ice an Gengar may be a bonus, but difficult. However, I still think the rest of the team should be fine together. The team's different, people like experimenting with different things, so why not? Adds to the fun factor. Not the most pratical though. Donphan is OK, but cloudk is right about Metagross - it's a lot more preffered as a lead nowadays. Take a look at those Snorlax sets, but it would help to mix 'n' match them if you like. This way, you don't end up using a bog-standard one thats more predictable, because everyone tends to do what ol' Smogon says. Personally, it's just a rock solid guidline, but doing what you think's best sometimes pays off.

Anyway, have you ever heard of Shoddy Battle, or have it? If you don't you can download it. It's basically a battle simulator; Smogon have their own server and you can have "imaginary" battles with people ie you just make a team using whatever you want by picking the options. This way, you can build your team up and test it. If it fails, you can just take a few seconds out to swap a move and try again without wasting hours training a team and finding out it doesn't work. It's really useful - just make a not of what you still need to counter. I'd battle you with it to test your team, but I already know your team so it'd be unfair. You can test your team and see how bad you really fare against Swampy and Scizor etc. and try and get feedback from your opponent.

Last edited:

J0J0Boy

Another helpful criticism. My Donphan was lead due to the Stealth rock ability. swtiching out is a must if a person wants to win xD
Another person also suggested Zapdos earlier...Perhaps I should seriously consider a team change...So would you suggest I get rid of Houndoom? I highly doubt my Houndoom would deal with Scizors now.
MetaGross is a good Pokemon, however, I feel that Donphan is needed to clear any Toxic spikes/Stealth Rock that could be done by the opponent, by the use of Rapid spin.
As for my new Zapdos, I would be lacking Fire in my team, to get rid of those dirty Weaviles xD
I'm yet again stuck here...I need for information about Zapdos' potential, before I can fully take out Houndoom from my team, and my team would consist of:-
-Donphan
-Zapdos
-Toxicroak
-Vaporeon
-Snorlax
-Gengar
Thank you x

Captain Noob

Feelin' Sleepy
Zapdos would work, I agree, but I've never understood how people get a good one without cheating; you'd need Hidden Power Ice.

Heh-heh, quoting myself incase you just missed my last post. Yeah, Zapdos would surely work. You can tag on Heat Wave as the fire move; that's why its so good against Scizor. It could also deal with Salamence, but that's where the HP Ice comes in. Others use HP Grass for Swampy. However, getting a good HP on a good Zapdos is...well...me and my friend worked it out as over 1/2,000,000 (or was it billion?) Either way...unless you cheat or something, meh. Suffice to say, we both kinda gave up hope in getting one.

By the way, Metagross can learn Stealth Rock too. It can't learn Rapid Spin, though. You could have a Rapid Spin Starmie to counter Salamence with, but this is just starting to complicate stuff :p

J0J0Boy

Lool, I dont think I need that much of a Good HP on Zapdos, as long as he has Thunderbolt, Heat Wave, Hidden power and possibly space for another move? Therefore allow my Gengar to get rid of his T-Bolt and leaving it all up to Zappy.
So to finzliza things, Houndoom to get replaced by Zapdos Yes?

Gren Draco

RIOTRIOTRIOTRIOTRIOT
Where are the EV's?
don't lead with donphan, it won't work, and you don't want your physical wall to take a S**t load of damage early on in the match.
Gengar should be able to dent dusknoir, though dusknoir can't KO back, i don't even think it can 2HKO with snadow sneak, though none run it anyway.
HP Fire should go over psychic on gengar, to give you some sort of scizor check, though you risk getting killed it's still better than having no scizor chek at all.
You might as well use body slam on snorlax since he's not aiming for coverage and body slam has nice para hax chance.
Put Ev's on before this gets infracted, i imagine Reno just didn't notice the first time she looked, but you might not be so lucky if she looks a second.

Reno

so adorable...
Put Ev's on before this gets infracted, i imagine Reno just didn't notice the first time she looked, but you might not be so lucky if she looks a second.

Got it in one.

Add EVs or this will be closed.

Thanks.

Gren Draco

RIOTRIOTRIOTRIOTRIOT
If there's one thing i hate it's posting on a thread, trying to help someone,then getting completely ignored. If you don't agree with me the last you could do is say so.

J0J0Boy

Dude, there's no need to get emotional, you didnt actually state something that could be easily altered. I have to test before I can actually respond so something. I DO agree, leading with Donphan would probably put me down, and so I took your adivce and started with another lead, possibly vaporeon, as Dragons seem to get pulled out first of all.
The 'Scizor check' is the Zapdos suggested by the other helpful users. I do appreciate the time, even to click on my thread, and so you shouldn't feel as if you're being ignored, I have read your advice happily and have taken everything into account, however I don't agree with all that you have stated, for the example the gengar shinanigans. It has been difficult changing Snorlax's moves, as I'm quite stuck for a powerful physical move, or another Scozir defense.
Thank you x

Gren Draco

RIOTRIOTRIOTRIOTRIOT
Dude, there's no need to get emotional, you didnt actually state something that could be easily altered. I have to test before I can actually respond so something. I DO agree, leading with Donphan would probably put me down, and so I took your adivce and started with another lead, possibly vaporeon, as Dragons seem to get pulled out first of all.
The 'Scizor check' is the Zapdos suggested by the other helpful users. I do appreciate the time, even to click on my thread, and so you shouldn't feel as if you're being ignored, I have read your advice happily and have taken everything into account, however I don't agree with all that you have stated, for the example the gengar shinanigans. It has been difficult changing Snorlax's moves, as I'm quite stuck for a powerful physical move, or another Scozir defense.
Thank you x

I wasn't getting emotional, it just annoys me.
And you can respond by saying "that sound sokay i'll test, but this sounds stupid etc.", no need to be ignorant.
and what is zapdos going over?
Snorlax shouldn't be countering scizor, since SD scizor with BP owns him, and CB scizor with Superpower severely dents him.

EDIT: Leading with Vappy is bad for the same reason leading with Donphan is, also Vappy needs 252HP/252Def to be a wall, snorlax should also have a significant investment in HP and SpD, since you have donphan and Vappy for physical Hits. 252/252 spreads aren't always the best.

Last edited:

J0J0Boy

Zapdos is Taking over doom. I've yet to finalize things. My Lax has Investment in Attack and Special Defense, so thats cool still. I'll probably open up with Lax.
Zapdos will be the one taking care of Scizor, not Lax so it's okay. I'm generally thinking of my Lax's moveset to be:-
Rest
Sleep Talk
EQ
Body Slam
This should work, taking advantage of his attack, as I have specifically invested in this, while also investing in his Sp. Def. So it should be good as a wall, epecially against a Special sweeper.

EDIT:- As I was reading Smogon, they do mention that ghost types would switch in, due to their ability of avoideing EQ and Body slam, and so, I will give up the Rest/Sleep talk combo, and replace it with Crunch, to deal with the ghosts e.i:- Gengar/Dusk. Selfdestruct would be to just take the opponent down with me, if I have under 100 HP. [Currently, my Lax has 443 HP, not as much as expected - but I had to put some into attack, taking advantage of its adamant Nature x

Last edited:

Gren Draco

RIOTRIOTRIOTRIOTRIOT
Zapdos is Taking over doom. I've yet to finalize things. My Lax has Investment in Attack and Special Defense, so thats cool still. I'll probably open up with Lax.
Zapdos will be the one taking care of Scizor, not Lax so it's okay. I'm generally thinking of my Lax's moveset to be:-
Rest
Sleep Talk
EQ
Body Slam
This should work, taking advantage of his attack, as I have specifically invested in this, while also investing in his Sp. Def. So it should be good as a wall, epecially against a Special sweeper.

Max attack and no HP really hampers his abbillity to take hits consistantly, try using this:
188HP/104Atk/216SpD Careful - which gives some abillity to hit well as well as a lefties recovery point and a jump point in SpD, doing more with the EV's than yours is doing at the moment.

J0J0Boy

Nah I think it could be a bad idea. Given what was said at Smogon, considering the nature is adamant, I have to invest highly in attack, which is why his attack stat is 345. It's pretty decent. What I'm thinking of right now is what EVs to give me Vappy. I don't want to really go far as to keep on upgrading its Sp.Att, but what else can you do? I do want something else though. Probably actually going for :-
200 HP / 100 Sp. Att / 210 Speed
This would probably be more useful right?

Gren Draco

RIOTRIOTRIOTRIOTRIOT
Nah I think it could be a bad idea. Given what was said at Smogon, considering the nature is adamant, I have to invest highly in attack, which is why his attack stat is 345. It's pretty decent. What I'm thinking of right now is what EVs to give me Vappy. I don't want to really go far as to keep on upgrading its Sp.Att, but what else can you do? I do want something else though. Probably actually going for :-
200 HP / 100 Sp. Att / 210 Speed
This would probably be more useful right?

It's a Wall, walls don't need atk EV's and that's why i said use careful nature. without a decent investment in Hp he's going to get annihilated by alakazam and gengar's ofcus blast, as well as taking a lot more damage from Specs pokemon Special Attacks, he is your only way to take special hits reliably, and he needs to do it well, not bother about having a half decent attack stat.
252HP/252Def is the only set for Vappy, without that it cannot handle anything it is designed to counter, why invest in his speed and special attack? he's a wall, not a sweeper.
I'm not saying this to troll or flame but do you actually understand the concept of walls and sweepers? cause it seems to me you just give pokemon random EV's without a thought for what there role in the team is.