• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Team Rocket and Bewear

LuxerWap

The Green Husky with a Broken Tail
I’m just gonna say this, I really hate this relationship with these characters, especially Bewear. It was fun for the first season, but after that, it makes me feel disappointed whenever Team Rocket gets so close to complete their schemes and BOOM, Bewear interrupts and snatches them away. And this happens over and over. Why can’t Team Rocket catch a break? No matter how far they go, Bewear always jumps in.

I thought Bewear does this because she lost the baby Stufful and didn’t want it to happen again with Team Rocket. And after reuniting the Stufful, she would let go of them, but no, she still holds them down from doing anything.

Like, I can’t be the only one who finds this annoying. It makes me feel sorry for Team Rocket. Like, come on writers, make them feel like badasses back in the BW series again.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I don't like the Kiteruguma gag since it wasn't funny to me the first time it was shown, and it sure as heck didn't get better over time. It's been a thorn in my side for a while, although I've tried desperately to ignore it and just appreciate the Rocket-dan trio whenever Kiteruguma isn't around.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Of course, they are going to re-use the Bewear gag until the series ends, that's why it gets really repetitive after a while, just like the twerps blasting off TRio in the past series.

DatsRight

I admit it feels like Bewear is a glorified restraining lead for TR so they don't have to do anything big with them as antagonists, any time they want to do a 'not so harmless' moment with them they can just have Bewear interrupt it. With that said they commonly did this in every series anyway, just replace Bewear with some DEM or power boost. I think BW was the only series that regularly had full instances where TR were competent but the twerps just...fought it off with no help needed (as shown with the Pikachu vs Mimikyu trial, even with Bewear subdued, plot armour prevails). The good battles are strictly saved for rivals and main competitions.

Bewear compared to all the other plot tricks in other series is relatively at least entertaining and self aware in how farcical it is, and has some sort of dynamic otherwise, not to mention TR don't appear nearly as often so she doesn't overstay her welcome. I also like seeing cases TR try to strategically work their plans around her, unlike the twerps' plot armour they can at least try to fight fate with her, or at least stall it long enough to get some work done. In all likeliness however Bewear's run will likely end after TR leave Alola and it's likely best that way otherwise she'll end up like the other gags like the mottos and blasting off scenes where the writers will slowly lose steam with her and just stop bothering putting any creative variations with her.

Last edited:

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Bewear tends to only take them away when their part of the episode is already over and/or they already lost. In past series that would generally be the time they got hit with Pikachu's Thunder or Thunderbolt and then blast away and out of the episode (even though those electric attacks never do anything remotely similar to any other target). Essentially, when Bewear shows up and takes them away Team Rocket already wasn't posing any kind of threat at all anymore anyway. The only exceptions I can think of is when their involvement in an episode wouldn't actually help the episode narratively at all but only serve to derail it, like at the Altar of the Sunne when they were trying to capture all the Island Guardians (and let's be honest, it's not as if Team Rocket would have ever gotten away with that even without Bewear there, the Island Guardians and/or the six main characters there would have teamed up and just blasted them off, there's not even the slightest moment in which you get even the remote sense that they could succeed against those adversaries).

Let's be real here, Bewear is not what is holding Team Rocket back at all and Bewear is not even remotely to blame for Team Rocket not succeeding in Alola. It's their own incompetence and trying to be bad guys in a children's show where good guys always win. Bewear lets Team Rocket be when they're not doing anything evil, it never takes them away when they're just selling food from their Bewear Van or something.

DatsRight

Bewear tends to only take them away when their part of the episode is already over and/or they already lost. In past series that would generally be the time they got hit with Pikachu's Thunder or Thunderbolt and then blast away and out of the episode (even though those electric attacks never do anything remotely similar to any other target). Essentially, when Bewear shows up and takes them away Team Rocket already wasn't posing any kind of threat at all anymore anyway. The only exceptions I can think of is when their involvement in an episode wouldn't actually help the episode narratively at all but only serve to derail it, like at the Altar of the Sunne when they were trying to capture all the Island Guardians (and let's be honest, it's not as if Team Rocket would have ever gotten away with that even without Bewear there, the Island Guardians and/or the six main characters there would have teamed up and just blasted them off, there's not even the slightest moment in which you get even the remote sense that they could succeed against those adversaries).

Let's be real here, Bewear is not what is holding Team Rocket back at all and Bewear is not even remotely to blame for Team Rocket not succeeding in Alola. It's their own incompetence and trying to be bad guys in a children's show where good guys always win. Bewear lets Team Rocket be when they're not doing anything evil, it never takes them away when they're just selling food from their Bewear Van or something.

Well there was their near victories in Mareanie's capture episode or when they were about to use a Z Move on Drampa (YMMV whether that was in vain or not). Bewear seems to be random in when it appears, though obviously it's a more humorous way of transitioning them out the story when they've 'outlived their usefulness' as a plot device for the writers.

Seeing the times they try to distract Bewear like the Z Ring quest or the league is amusing story material. It's interesting seeing TR trying to work their plans around this obstacle, gives them more agency.

I find the Bewear gag hilarious tbh. It helps that the writers are using different variations of it so it doesn't feel as repetitive as gags in previous series. I'm actually looking forward to more gags like this one in the future sagas.

Remember when the mottos were a unique gag every episode and not just recycled animation? It's good Bewear is keeping steam though I get the feeling if she sticks around longer than a series or two she'll likely end up the same. The writers clearly stop caring about these running gags after a while.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Bortgreen said:
Better than a exploding mecha or balloon in every episode

I found those methods less contrived than the whole Kiteruguma kidnap gag, which is the kind of forced comedy that irks me in SM. At least an exploding mecha makes more sense than Kiteruguma randomly appearing in almost every single kind of environment out of the blue.

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
I found those methods less contrived than the whole Kiteruguma kidnap gag, which is the kind of forced comedy that irks me in SM. At least an exploding mecha makes more sense than Kiteruguma randomly appearing in almost every single kind of environment out of the blue.
It really makes more sense, but it became even more boring after all these CotD vs TR fillers

DatsRight

I dunno, some of the earlier TR shtick was still non sensical and automated, especially by XY. That series tried to keep TR a bit challenging for a while but as mentioned, after a while they struggled to do good fights between them and the twerps, relying on bland DEMs or other plot armour tactics (eg. learning a new move or evolution and THEN completely curbstomping them) or just relying on idiot premises like having a half a fight before the twerps remember 'Duh wait, we can use more than ONE Pokemon against them, can't we? We don't just have to stand here like imbeciles!'.

TR at the end of the day usually serve as padding, and Bewear's shtick is at least so self aware in how dumb and contrived it is that it's actually fun rather than just bad monotonous writing.

I also like that since Stufful came along there's less need to keep Bewear a rather flat ambiguous gag and we see more character moments from both of them and even a couple limelight episodes. In that sense it feels like Bewear exists less to keep TR repetitive and dull.

Last edited:

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member
Bewear is great. She allows Team Rocket to appear more dangerous and competent without actually allowing them to succeed, while also keeping them fun and humorous. She also explains why TR isn't in every episode.

Pre-BW and XY TR were terrible because they were in every episode and were incompetent. BW TR was just as incompetent, but they weren't fun or funny when they did appear. They were generic villains.

With Bewear, TR is allowed power ups like Z-Moves so they can beat wild Pokemon or conspecifics like Team Skull. In prior series they couldn't even manage that.

Bewear and Rotom were great additions to the cast just because of the roles they play.

DatsRight

Well one big beef I have with SM TR is that they seldom ever used their Z Moves, though besides one instance with Drampa, that wasn't really down to Bewear, the writers just kind of forgot about it.

I don't think Bewear really hid their incompetence, they still got curb stomped by characters who almost never battled (the league making perfectly clear this wasn't down to them being unearthed powerhouses, TR are just THAT bad) and despite getting power ups and Pokemon with legit rivalries with the twerps, it almost never produced anything long term. It feels like the anime is really lethargic with them as antagonists (as characters, maybe not as bad) and Bewear is pretty much a fresh new gag put on the end to make them facing the twerps less by the numbers dull.

Last edited:

Emelie

Bookworm
I think Team Rocket's friendship with Bewear is really heartwarming. Musashi protecting Beatwear's child from Matori and Bewear gently lifting up Mimikyu after it was hurt during the battle with Pikachu were some of my favorite moments.

Team Rocket's gags have always been annoying and repetitive but these characters sure have a lot of heart. Sometimes even moreso than the main cast. Musashi especially since she is probably the most flawed and layered character in the series.

But I wouldn't be opposed to them being written out of the anime. I'm also really tired of them at this point.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
I hope and am confident TR will continue onto Galar. Their involvement can get annoying, but I love them regardless. They have so much heart and genuine character, and I think Bewear is a perfect fit for them as her gimmick contains both of those qualities.