• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Team Rocket Discussion

• Thread starter Deleted member 11515
  • Start date

Cain Nightroad

Daydreaming
I hope the Rockets story will be the same. I don't want to see them trying to catch Ho-oh or Lugia to try and do something "evil" with them.

Going by FireRed/LeafGreen, Team Rocket will be essentially left alone pre-Elite Four. After the Elite Four, though, I can see them adding onto the plot, just like with FireRed/LeafGreen. It's just a remake, so I highly doubt they'll go and scrap the original plot for a new one.

zlxq3000

Master Collector
@MewtwosAdvocate: Oh. Darn. I don't want to restart LG all over again AGAIN just to find one NPC, so I'll just take your word for it.

@Thriller: I hope not either, at least up to the Radio Tower incident. After that, I hope they really build Team Rocket up in Kanto to make their downfall a bit more epic than it was in the originals...

Maetch

Going by FireRed/LeafGreen, Team Rocket will be essentially left alone pre-Elite Four. After the Elite Four, though, I can see them adding onto the plot, just like with FireRed/LeafGreen. It's just a remake, so I highly doubt they'll go and scrap the original plot for a new one.

Post-Elite, Team Rocket is dead. It gets disbanded after the Radio Tower job fails. I think that if they're gonna add any new Rocket scenarios, it would have to be before then.

Personally, it would make no sense for Team Rocket to still be operating in Kanto. By the time of G/S/C, the region is too aware of them, making the ability to operate in secrecy impossible.

Chaos Shadow

Post-Elite, Team Rocket is dead. It gets disbanded after the Radio Tower job fails. I think that if they're gonna add any new Rocket scenarios, it would have to be before then.

Personally, it would make no sense for Team Rocket to still be operating in Kanto. By the time of G/S/C, the region is too aware of them, making the ability to operate in secrecy impossible.

I have to disagree. In FR/LG, Giovanni disbands Team Rocket when you defeat him in the Viridian Gym, but there are still storyline elements involving Team Rocket on the Sevii Island. Additionally, in the original Gold/Silver, there was one Rocket out at the Power Plant that didn't get the memo, and kept believing that Team Rocket was around even though they had been diffused.

It would be easy enough to add a post-game storyline where the remaining Kanto branch on the whole doesn't get the memo and continues doing whatever vaguely defined evil thing they were doing.

zlxq3000

Master Collector
(Copy-paste of a post I made in a different thread pertaining to an idea I had on what they could do with Team Rocket post-E4.)

Here's an idea I had for the plot TR-wise:

Everything remains pretty much the same with them up to Goldenrod, the only difference being that the Executives have names and personalities. For the sake of simplicity, I'll call the main Exec that you fight in Goldenrod at the end Hector, the female Exec Irene, and the other two Execs will be Jasper and Ken. So you battle with them all at their secret base at the Lake of Rage, and Hector does the whole "Come back, Giovanni, we can't do anything without you!" thing, and then you stop him and most of Team Rocket gets captured. However, Jasper, who throughout the game speaks of Hector as a weakling who can't do anything himself, takes control of the organization, perhaps taking Irene and Ken with him (although only one of them is really necessary, or a new one). He sets up shop in a secret base whose location is a secret passage in Cerulean Cave. When the player makes his way to Cerulean City, the player will somehow discover that Cerulean Cave was sealed up after the events of FR/LG, but is now unsealed by unknown means (or, alternately, it was never sealed, but there have been bizarre tremors in the city lately whose source is said to be the cave). Going through the cave to where Mewtwo once was will reveal that Team Rocket is digging for... something. You beat the Grunts operating the machine, and they run off, dropping a strange picture of something, which turns out to be the location of the secret switch that opens up to the passageway in the cave that leads to the elevator that goes up to the new Rocket Base. Going through the base, there are several computers that reveal that beneath what is the bottom floor of Cerulean Cave is actually another level, a large cavern where a powerful pokemon is said to dwell (the version-exclusive Hoenn legendary). You make it through the base, battling Grunts until you finally make it to Jasper, who you defeat, but who escapes out a secret back exit that is locked with something called the 'Executive Key'...

After this, you can go down into the Cave and battle/capture Groudon or Kyogre, then head off through Kanto some more. When you make your way to Celadon City, the former Team Rocket base beneath the Game Corner has been turned into an exclusive shopping center. However, if you manage to find something (I'm not totally sure how you'd access this yet), you can access a secret B5 floor, which is, you guessed it, a Team Rocket base! Ken's the boss of this place, hiding out here until Team Rocket's reemergence, and when he's beaten, you gain the Executive Key. Now, if you go back to the Cerulean Rocket Base and use the Executive Key on the secret exit that Jasper escaped through, you'll find yourself outside on top of the mountain that the cave was in. After a short hike, you'll find a Team Rocket Laboratory, and after making your way through there, you'll find Jasper (and possibly a Rocket Scientist) standing in front of a tank that holds... Mewtwo! They've began making another one, and Jasper plans on capturing it once it's completed and using it to conquer Kanto and Johto! But you're not about to let this jackass do whatever he wants, right? Hell no! So you battle him, and when you win, Giovanni shows up and convinces him to turn himself in, or a member of the International Police arrests him... or Giovanni, being the founder of the IP, arrests him... (Alternatively, if the Rocket Scientist is there, they could double-battle against you and Giovanni, who shows up for this battle.) Either way, you're getting a Master Ball from Jasper out of the deal, and Giovanni tells you that you can try to capture Mewtwo whenever you want (he lets you take it since he believes that you would be a better trainer for it than he would be, given his past evils and your good heart); he'll keep it in stasis in the pod and guard it from everyone else until you're ready to capture it.

And thus, Team Rocket ends... Unless you didn't get to Rayquaza already. Since TR was doing research on the Cerulean Cave pokemon, it should've been obvious that they had a bigger goal in mind, and what bigger goal is there than Rayquaza? So they show up to fight you for it, and when you beat them, they leave. This group could be headed by Irene, I guess, since it could happen either before or after Jasper's defeat.

Maetch

I have to disagree. In FR/LG, Giovanni disbands Team Rocket when you defeat him in the Viridian Gym, but there are still storyline elements involving Team Rocket on the Sevii Island.

Sevii was a separate branch from Kanto, which is all the way out in a tech-deficient region. Even if the Admin in charge did get word of the Boss's loss, he still refused to believe it until he saw your Earth Badge.

Additionally, in the original Gold/Silver, there was one Rocket out at the Power Plant that didn't get the memo, and kept believing that Team Rocket was around even though they had been diffused.

It would be easy enough to add a post-game storyline where the remaining Kanto branch on the whole doesn't get the memo and continues doing whatever vaguely defined evil thing they were doing.

The Kanto branch would've died when Giovanni left the organization, since that was where he was stationed. Also, the one Grunt that was there said that his allies would come from Johto to avenge him. He didn't say anything about Kanto, which would appear to mean that he's the only guy in that region.

Maetch

(Copy-paste of a post I made in a different thread pertaining to an idea I had on what they could do with Team Rocket post-E4.)

Everything remains pretty much the same with them up to Goldenrod, the only difference being that the Executives have names and personalities. For the sake of simplicity, I'll call the main Exec that you fight in Goldenrod at the end Hector, the female Exec Irene, and the other two Execs will be Jasper and Ken. So you battle with them all at their secret base at the Lake of Rage, and Hector does the whole "Come back, Giovanni, we can't do anything without you!" thing, and then you stop him and most of Team Rocket gets captured. However, Jasper, who throughout the game speaks of Hector as a weakling who can't do anything himself, takes control of the organization, perhaps taking Irene and Ken with him (although only one of them is really necessary, or a new one). He sets up shop in a secret base whose location is a secret passage in Cerulean Cave. When the player makes his way to Cerulean City, the player will somehow discover that Cerulean Cave was sealed up after the events of FR/LG, but is now unsealed by unknown means (or, alternately, it was never sealed, but there have been bizarre tremors in the city lately whose source is said to be the cave). Going through the cave to where Mewtwo once was will reveal that Team Rocket is digging for... something. You beat the Grunts operating the machine, and they run off, dropping a strange picture of something, which turns out to be the location of the secret switch that opens up to the passageway in the cave that leads to the elevator that goes up to the new Rocket Base. Going through the base, there are several computers that reveal that beneath what is the bottom floor of Cerulean Cave is actually another level, a large cavern where a powerful pokemon is said to dwell (the version-exclusive Hoenn legendary). You make it through the base, battling Grunts until you finally make it to Jasper, who you defeat, but who escapes out a secret back exit that is locked with something called the 'Executive Key'...

After this, you can go down into the Cave and battle/capture Groudon or Kyogre, then head off through Kanto some more. When you make your way to Celadon City, the former Team Rocket base beneath the Game Corner has been turned into an exclusive shopping center. However, if you manage to find something (I'm not totally sure how you'd access this yet), you can access a secret B5 floor, which is, you guessed it, a Team Rocket base! Ken's the boss of this place, hiding out here until Team Rocket's reemergence, and when he's beaten, you gain the Executive Key. Now, if you go back to the Cerulean Rocket Base and use the Executive Key on the secret exit that Jasper escaped through, you'll find yourself outside on top of the mountain that the cave was in. After a short hike, you'll find a Team Rocket Laboratory, and after making your way through there, you'll find Jasper (and possibly a Rocket Scientist) standing in front of a tank that holds... Mewtwo! They've began making another one, and Jasper plans on capturing it once it's completed and using it to conquer Kanto and Johto! But you're not about to let this jackass do whatever he wants, right? Hell no! So you battle him, and when you win, Giovanni shows up and convinces him to turn himself in, or a member of the International Police arrests him... or Giovanni, being the founder of the IP, arrests him... (Alternatively, if the Rocket Scientist is there, they could double-battle against you and Giovanni, who shows up for this battle.) Either way, you're getting a Master Ball from Jasper out of the deal, and Giovanni tells you that you can try to capture Mewtwo whenever you want (he lets you take it since he believes that you would be a better trainer for it than he would be, given his past evils and your good heart); he'll keep it in stasis in the pod and guard it from everyone else until you're ready to capture it.

And thus, Team Rocket ends... Unless you didn't get to Rayquaza already. Since TR was doing research on the Cerulean Cave pokemon, it should've been obvious that they had a bigger goal in mind, and what bigger goal is there than Rayquaza? So they show up to fight you for it, and when you beat them, they leave. This group could be headed by Irene, I guess, since it could happen either before or after Jasper's defeat.

Team Rocket in the games is not like the anime. In the games, they're just common crooks trying to make money through Pokemon. They don't have the same level of organization or invention as the anime portrays them with.

zlxq3000

Master Collector
Team Rocket in the games is not like the anime. In the games, they're just common crooks trying to make money through Pokemon. They don't have the same level of organization or invention as the anime portrays them with.

Okay, well considering that in my little story, they're trying to drill to Groudon/Kyogre to capture it to sell it and/or gain access to Rayquaza to capture it and sell it, that'd kind of fall under the category of 'crooks trying to make money through pokemon', I would think. And considering that Team Rocket was the original organization that funded and developed the Mewtwo project in the first place, it wouldn't be too farfetched to imagine them trying to recreate the results of that project, but with a more tame result the second time around. After all, they are a failing organization at that point; they'd be willing to try just about anything to get back into power, even perform risky experiments that went horribly wrong years ago. And I'd imagine they'd have some form of organization (you can't have a team without organization, and 'team' is right in their name...); I just imagine that they failed at what they were trying to accomplish because the Rockets didn't really have much faith in Hector after his failure at Mahogany, but Jasper seems like a more reasonable leader, so he garners a more loyal following. My thing is just an idea on how they could expand Team Rocket into Kanto more than one guy who steals a part from a power plant and throws it into a swimming pool. That's all. I wasn't trying to liken the games to the anime or anything (I didn't say "You fight the drill machine and it explodes and TEAM ROCKET BLASTS OFF AGAIN!", did I?).

Heldigunner1

lime in the coconut
I would really like to see neo team rocket in the game. The leader of the neo is trying to find a way into the past to change the future he needs Celebi, mew, jirachi. The exec are the kids he kidnapped like silver, etc.; when you get to kanto you find out that one of the exec. was helping you stop the neo team rocket leader so he/she can go though with his/her plans. He/she needs ho-oh and lugia. The two together upsets the balance of the world so groudon and kyroge comes to screw up the world more(just because they like doing that) rayquaza comes to calm the world. (but the world is still messed up). And like maetch said the cerulean cave has a team rocket base there's the kid who took over team rocket and a scientist, silver appears helps you defeat the leader and the scientist. Than cynthia comes and tell you about arceus. the new leader of team rocket hears a runs to capture arceus. You have to stop him before we gets there.

Last edited:

Maetch

Okay, well considering that in my little story, they're trying to drill to Groudon/Kyogre to capture it to sell it and/or gain access to Rayquaza to capture it and sell it, that'd kind of fall under the category of 'crooks trying to make money through pokemon', I would think. And considering that Team Rocket was the original organization that funded and developed the Mewtwo project in the first place, it wouldn't be too farfetched to imagine them trying to recreate the results of that project, but with a more tame result the second time around. After all, they are a failing organization at that point; they'd be willing to try just about anything to get back into power, even perform risky experiments that went horribly wrong years ago. And I'd imagine they'd have some form of organization (you can't have a team without organization, and 'team' is right in their name...); I just imagine that they failed at what they were trying to accomplish because the Rockets didn't really have much faith in Hector after his failure at Mahogany, but Jasper seems like a more reasonable leader, so he garners a more loyal following. My thing is just an idea on how they could expand Team Rocket into Kanto more than one guy who steals a part from a power plant and throws it into a swimming pool. That's all. I wasn't trying to liken the games to the anime or anything (I didn't say "You fight the drill machine and it explodes and TEAM ROCKET BLASTS OFF AGAIN!", did I?).

Team Rocket DID NOT create Mewtwo in the games. That was in the anime only. The games only had a bunch of nameless scientists experimenting with Mew's "child" for no reason.

zlxq3000

Master Collector
Team Rocket DID NOT create Mewtwo in the games. That was in the anime only. The games only had a bunch of nameless scientists experimenting with Mew's "child" for no reason.

...Huh... Could've sworn that one of the journals in Pokemon Mansion mentioned Giovanni, but after some research, I see that you're right... Still, one could easily see Mewtwo as being something that Team Rocket would want, considering its immense power, plus it'd be a way to put a wild Mewtwo into the fourth-gen games.

GamerSonic

Yeah the anime and games are way different. In the anime Mewtwo was created, destroyed the lab, flew off, created a castle in the middle of the Ocean, invited a couple of trainers, created copies of them and then got defeated by Mew.

In the Games it was just a Legendary who got caught near the end of games.

zlxq3000

Master Collector
Yeah the anime and games are way different. In the anime Mewtwo was created, destroyed the lab, flew off, created a castle in the middle of the Ocean, invited a couple of trainers, created copies of them and then got defeated by Mew.

In the Games it was just a Legendary who got caught near the end of games.

...Actually, Mewtwo did do all of that stuff in the games, too. Up to creating a castle, I mean; it did get created by Mr. Fuji (and Blaine, I think), then went crazy cuz of all the experiments, blew up Pokemon Mansion, and flew off where it either wandered into Cerulean Cave on its own or was forced in somehow.

EDIT: Rank up. Yay.

Last edited:

Chaos Shadow

For some reason, I have it cemented in my mind that Team Rocket was involved with the Pokemon Mansion somehow (and mind, I stopped watching the anime a little after Charmander first evolved into Charmeleon). This might be wishful thinking and speculation on my part; I'll probably figure out why as I continue re-playing FireRed. Or at least find a reason why not.

Mewtwo does at the least have a fairly good backstory for a legendary. Whereas all of the others are (typically) elemental forces of nature (although there are exceptions), Mewtwo has several diary entries chronicling its conception and creation at the hands of scientists, and all but explicitly states that Mewtwo was the one that destroyed the Mansion and flew off.

...anyway, Team Rocket. They don't really need a legendary. As I mentioned earlier, I think it would actually defile their characterization if they went searching for a legendary for any reason beyond monetary gain, and in the case of GSC, it just doesn't make much sense to me; they aren't organized enough by the time GSC rolls around to possibly pursue a legendary Pokemon, much less actually threaten to capture one.

aclover

VICTORiOUS

thomas477

Johto Trainer

That sounds absolutely effing great and very possible. However i dont see how all this extra plot would fit into the game card.

But it sounds great :)

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
One thing I was upset about TR in FRLG was the female grunts. We only got to see some of them during the Sevii Island traveling. They look very cool, almost more than the male grunts. So Im glad they'll appear when we get to the Slowpoke Well.

As long as they don't get rid of the original Executives, Ill be ok. I'd want to see them again. :D

zlxq3000

Master Collector
That sounds absolutely effing great and very possible. However i dont see how all this extra plot would fit into the game card.

But it sounds great :)

...It'd be, like, 12 more maps and 30 or 40 more trainers, at the most. How much space could that possibly take up?

As far as Team Rocket not wanting a legendary for anything more than monetary gain, why not want one for power? They're pretty much crippled and unable to do anything; a powerful pokemon could bring them back to the forefront of Kanto, and even Johto.

Chaos Shadow

Because it feels like it cheapens them, really. Team Rocket is my favorite of the teams in part because Giovanni was running things based entirely on the power of his group and himself, not relying on legendary Pokemon to get the job done. The Evil-Team-Goes-After-Legendary-Can-You-Stop-Them? trope is getting rather old, and I'd rather not see Team Rocket retconned into pursuing a legendary in hopes of gaining power.

And, like I said, they don't seem organized enough. Their entire purpose in Johto was to snag a radio tower and make desperate called to Giovanni to bring him back and re-organize their group. They were doing little schemes on the side, like the stuff at Slowpoke Well, following the old adage of how Team Rocket functioned to use Pokemon to the sole benefit of the Team Rocket members. Going after a legendary would require more organization, and would require a stable, absolute leader to give those orders. Nothing from my memory of GSC suggests that the executives were in any position to do so (after all, it was their idea to try and call Giovanni, which suggests that they needed him for something, be it organization or stability or just having a true tactical leader at their head again).

Maetch

They were doing little schemes on the side, like the stuff at Slowpoke Well, following the old adage of how Team Rocket functioned to use Pokemon to the sole benefit of the Team Rocket members.

Don't forget the Lake of Rage. Though it was a testing ground for their evolution experiments, Team Rocket still made money off it by ripping off curious tourists at the gatehouse.