• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Team Rocket

Matt36

Clone my Balls!
I've been watching Pokemon from the start and I really enjoyed them in the first & even second journey! But I'm now watching Diamond & Pearl on CiTV (UK) and I can't help but think;

Would the Pokemon TV series be better WITHOUT Team Rocket??

Their constant interfering is tedious and can spoil a story. It's like the writers have to compensate for the journey to include Jessie, James & Meowth. Perhaps including them here & there when they fit would be better suited?

Just a thought :) Discuss!

AwesomeSauce117

Nostalgia Addict
Without them Ash and Co. would be a group of traveling miracle workers, fixing problems everywhere they go.

Natty

Electric Rodent
I think Team Rocket is the funniest, most entertaining part of the show... I think the motto part is a little tiring and sometimes they're not ALWAYS needed every single episode, but stories usually need some sort of conflict and they serve that purpose.

AmusedMilk

Oh, hey, Big Zam!
Wait till BW and you might like them a bit.

Ampersand

they are one of the main reasons the anime is so tedious to watch. pokemon catching/battling is a repetitive concept, so to throw in a bunch of antagonists who are the very epitome of repetitiveness...really doesnt help. they water down the show and make it seem more childish than it should be. i agree that there needs to be conflict..but this can be handled in a much better way imo.

team rocket in BW is not so bad tho. having them work on various things in the background away from satoshi and co is better than having them pop up every episode to confront them...only to be rebuffed within 2-5 minutes and waste time...

quilava99

Derpity herp a derp
After Diamond and Pearl, I got sick of Team Rocket, but their role in Best Wishes/Black and White won me back.

Simon Alexander

basalit-an
I wish TR would have just gone away in DP. There were some really good TR eps in DP, like the Cacnea and Dustox eps, but most of the time they just got tedious. I actually get excited when Barry's in the show because I know he'll cut off their motto. XD

TR has the potential to be great antagonists, especially very ambiguous ones, but most of the time in DP they just get in the way.

Burakoru

Belly Slide
Really, what I'd like to see, is James get fired, team rocket get disbanned, Meowth and Jessie GO AWAY. And James becomes a member of Team Plasma.

An absence of Team Rocket is not much of a problem. They have been around long enough and have become a classic. Wouldn't it be a great twist if they made a sudden reappearance/ side story after a long hiatus? =D

Last edited:

Simon Alexander

basalit-an
Really, what I'd like to see, is James get fired, team rocket get disbanned, Meowth and Jessie GO AWAY. And James becomes a member of Team Plasma.

Or even better: James replaces Brock/Cilan! Dude, I'd so want James to travel with Ash. It'd be awesome! And Jessie and Meowth can go back to the TR base and be real TR grunts or something.

Or Jessie can go try to become an actress or coordinator or whatever the hell she wants to be

GetOutOfBox

Original Series Fan
People are placing blame for the show's tediousness in the wrong place. Team Rocket is not directly the cause of the often boring episodes, it's the lack of anything else happening. If the episodes had more variety then there wouldn't be a problem. Removing Team Rocket would not fix the tediousness of the show, it would only increase it. Without Team Rocket, the show would basically just be Ash and Co traveling around and fixing people's problems, which brings me to another point. How many of those problems are a result of Team Rocket? Remove Team Rocket from the equation and you're left with virtually nothing.

What needs to be done is for more variety in the episode's plots, villains other than Team Rocket added, and more diverse personalities for guest characters, rather than just the standard:

Generic mom/father, generic super-nice-guy, generic angsty-kid-who-needs-to-be-taught-respect, etc, etc. The guest characters as they are are extremely boring and uninteresting.

Ampersand

People are placing blame for the show's tediousness in the wrong place. Team Rocket is not directly the cause of the often boring episodes, it's the lack of anything else happening. If the episodes had more variety then there wouldn't be a problem. Removing Team Rocket would not fix the tediousness of the show, it would only increase it. Without Team Rocket, the show would basically just be Ash and Co traveling around and fixing people's problems, which brings me to another point. How many of those problems are a result of Team Rocket? Remove Team Rocket from the equation and you're left with virtually nothing.

What needs to be done is for more variety in the episode's plots, villains other than Team Rocket added, and more diverse personalities for guest characters, rather than just the standard:

Generic mom/father, generic super-nice-guy, generic angsty-kid-who-needs-to-be-taught-respect, etc, etc. The guest characters as they are are extremely boring and uninteresting.

nobody is placing the entire blame on TR for the shows decline in quality, they are just saying they contribute a fair bit to it. yes there are other aspect of the show that make it hard to watch..but you cant really say TR isnt one of those contributing factors. TR as an organization is fine..the TR that the show has to deal with on a day to day basis (Jessie, James and Meowth) are just a pain in the rear. their good moment are few and far between. their irksome moments heavily outweigh their good. I dont know about you, but I think its fair to say most people are fans of pokemon for....the pokemon maybe? not team rocket...thats a niche audience. If the writers wanted to keep the show interesting by having the protagonists run into problems...there are far more effective alternatives to Jessie, James and Meowth coming up with some lame scheme to capture pikachu.

GetOutOfBox

Original Series Fan
nobody is placing the entire blame on TR for the shows decline in quality, they are just saying they contribute a fair bit to it. yes there are other aspect of the show that make it hard to watch..but you cant really say TR isnt one of those contributing factors. TR as an organization is fine..the TR that the show has to deal with on a day to day basis (Jessie, James and Meowth) are just a pain in the rear. their good moment are few and far between. their irksome moments heavily outweigh their good. I dont know about you, but I think its fair to say most people are fans of pokemon for....the pokemon maybe? not team rocket...thats a niche audience. If the writers wanted to keep the show interesting by having the protagonists run into problems...there are far more effective alternatives to Jessie, James and Meowth coming up with some lame scheme to capture pikachu.

How do you propose the show will improve if Team Rocket is removed?

Ampersand

How do you propose the show will improve if Team Rocket is removed?

When I say Team Rocket should be removed, I mean Jessie, James and Meowth..at the very least the way those characters are handled. BW seems to be handling them much better. If they are goin to keep TR, just take them a bit more seriously...add a bit of intensity to the show..rather than making them a repetitive joke.

If they remove J/J/M, thats extra screen time to focus on developing the plot or developing other characters. It's like the writers just use them as an excuse to waste 5 minutes of the show. its become lazy and formulaic. Send in other members of TR that actually know what they are doing, are skilled pokemon trainers and actually pose a threat when they execute one of their plans. They dont even have to be from TR, there ought to be a fair few renegade pokemon groups...satoshi should be put into positions where he has to seek out and shut these groups down...rather than be strolling along and Jessie james and Meowth appear with the same old crap.

There are so many ways to approach the pokemon anime and games...the writers have only touched the surface of its potential. instead of really exploring the possibilities of pokemon...its just become an old car with a new paint job

GetOutOfBox

Original Series Fan
When I say Team Rocket should be removed, I mean Jessie, James and Meowth..at the very least the way those characters are handled. BW seems to be handling them much better. If they are goin to keep TR, just take them a bit more seriously...add a bit of intensity to the show..rather than making them a repetitive joke.

If they remove J/J/M, thats extra screen time to focus on developing the plot or developing other characters. It's like the writers just use them as an excuse to waste 5 minutes of the show. its become lazy and formulaic. Send in other members of TR that actually know what they are doing, are skilled pokemon trainers and actually pose a threat when they execute one of their plans. They dont even have to be from TR, there ought to be a fair few renegade pokemon groups...satoshi should be put into positions where he has to seek out and shut these groups down...rather than be strolling along and Jessie james and Meowth appear with the same old crap.

There are so many ways to approach the pokemon anime and games...the writers have only touched the surface of its potential. instead of really exploring the possibilities of pokemon...its just become an old car with a new paint job

Ah, so what you're saying is "Remove Team Rocket AND improve the plot quality". Why does "remove TR" have to be in that equation?

Ampersand

Ah, so what you're saying is "Remove Team Rocket AND improve the plot quality". Why does "remove TR" have to be in that equation?

well it doesnt have to be, just in my opinion if the plot was to get better, it would need team rocket to either go or be drastically revamped.

WIZkid1696

Sarcasm is fun!
My feelings of Team Rocket through the years:

Kanto: Wow, these guys are funny!

Johto: Ha Team Rocket, what are you gonna do

Hoenn: Uh Team Rocket.... okay, blast em off real quick

Sinnoh: NOO, Team Rocket don't ruin another episode!!!

Unova: Hmm, there not so bad.... so far

Satoshi

リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー
My feelings of Team Rocket through the years:

Kanto: Wow, these guys are funny!

Johto: Ha Team Rocket, what are you gonna do

Hoenn: Uh Team Rocket.... okay, blast em off real quick

Sinnoh: NOO, Team Rocket don't ruin another episode!!!

Unova: Hmm, there not so bad.... so far
Pretty much this. A shame that revamping their roles meant murdering the LOVELY CHARMY~ personalities they had.

I like it how people blame the bad writing on Rocket-dan. It's kind of sad.

Gallade Dark Soul

Type: Psychic/Dark
Kanto - :mad: You're bad people!
Johto - Oh yeah, them.
Hoenn - Lol, they got blown up!
Sinnoh - You three, leave. Wobbbuffet, stay.
Unova - o.0 ZOMG NINJAS!!!!!

Simon Alexander

basalit-an
Pretty much this. A shame that revamping their roles meant murdering the LOVELY CHARMY~ personalities they had.

I. Know. Why can't they be serious but still have their same personalities? I feel like our usual TR has been replaced by pod people. I DON'T CARE WHAT ANYONE SAYS, THAT IS NOT THE SAME SWEET JAMES I KNOW.