• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Team Rocket's Island Challenge? Get a Z-Ring (1016)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
1016.jpg

Team Rocket's Island Challenge? Get a Z-Ring

As they got a Darkinium Z a while back, when James' Mareanie learns the move Knock Off, they realise they need a Z-Ring in order to activate the Z-Moves. Giovanni informs them they may be able to get one from the Kahuna of Ula'ula Island, Nanu, so they head straight to the island. However, when they get there, they learn Nanu has gone on a journey to improve his skills and there's no sign of when he'll be back. Will they get a Z-Ring?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

Last edited by a moderator:

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Great to see Team Rocket as a whole perform the Dark pose and get Mareanie to use Black Hole Eclipse and getting the Z-Power Ring too. Although I felt that Gengar possessing Meowth and Jessie was a bit unnecessary, at least it helped to show that Mareanie has Knock Off. Nice to at least see Ash, Pikachu, Poipole and Rotom Dex at the end so he doesn't get completely left out.

Darthlord7

The Smug Pikachu
It's being a while since the last time I really enjoyed a Team Rocket episode. I also found that Gengar quite entertaining as well plus not having Ash around made the episode better as well.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Lol I really found it hard to believe: A Pokemon main series episode almost without Ash and Pikachu!!!! :eek::eek: They juuuust about appeared in the end a for about a moment journeying via ship to Ula Ula. :p

Anyway I thought that the episodes was decently enjoyable, Gengar's pranks/antics were funny enough to keep me engaged throughout the episode(though one classic anime logic example in this episode really struck me: How come Acerola's Mimi-tan's Shadow Claw didn't to **** to Gengar??? Ghost is supposed to be supereffective against Ghost). Black Hole Eclipse was looked nice in animation and was used at the perfect moment: to take out Gengar when it was terrorizing a lot. And in the end, a real surprise, Jessie gets the Mimikium-Z from Acerola's Mimi-tan as well! Didn't expect that in this episode for sure.

Anyway, overall this episode was decent, though not too spectacular. 6/10.

Last edited:

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Thank god they kept Ash's appearance to a minimum. Been a long time since the TRio actually got something. I really like how in this and the Darknium episode Ash was around but didn't interfere with what the TRio was doing. It doesn't make their work feel undone by simply blasting them off again at the end of the episode. Now if only we could get a Mallow episode with, you know.... just Mallow? No TRio as a crutch.

10/10

Xeogran

Marshadow Fan
God I wanted to jump into the screen and save Acerola as she was falling. She had some harsh moments in this episode, poor girl ;ω;

I'm glad to see she managed to befriend the Gengar though! Lovely episode.

Rohanator

(though one classic anime logic example in this episode really struck me: How come Acerola's Mimi-tan's Shadow Claw didn't to **** to Gengar??? Ghost is supposed to be supereffective against Ghost).
It's cause Mimi-tan is an actual ghost. Acerola told TR that when they asked how come it could fly. So yeah, it's dead, probably can't actually battle at all.

DatsRight

A pretty good episode. I was pleasantly surprised TR got to keep the Z Ring (though the fact Nanu not only nonchalantly lets them keep it after finding out they're Team Rocket, but Acerola actually tops it off by giving them Mimikium Z afterwards seems puzzling, unless they're up to something to keep them at bay, is the Mimikium Z a dud perhaps?).

Love the gag with the fake TR bots fooling Bewear, so that's how they get round it in some episodes. XD

Mareanie learning Knock Out was a bit random, did James not know she had it or something? But can't complain too much. A TR Pokemon got a new move AND got to use a Z Move, that's a LOT compared to the norm. Interesting take by having ALL THREE TR members do the pose.

James also seems to have already figured out what Knock Off is good for. This could make for some interesting TR schemes, even without the Z Moves.

Gengar was an interesting antagonist, more a mischief maker that wanted Acerola's attention it seems. The ending with it was cute, wondering if it becomes part of her team.

The original Rocket-dan Danka theme from XYZ returns, and another cameo from Drampa. Also loved TR mimicking Ash's 'Crystal get!' pose after they make their first real level grind.

Now if only we could get a Mallow episode with, you know.... just Mallow? No TRio as a crutch.

Last episode was kinda that. TR were in it but they had a minor role that didn't interfere.

It's cause Mimi-tan is an actual ghost. Acerola told TR that when they asked how come it could fly. So yeah, it's dead, probably can't actually battle at all.

Which is strange because living beings seem able to touch IT. What a tragically unfair double standard.

Last edited:

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Then how was Acerola able to touch Mimi-tan a few times?

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
After the horror show 1 hour special last week, this episode was actually alright. It wasn't anything special as it did have issues, but for the most part, it was bearable.

I honestly didn't like the Gengar theatrics, since it felt like it took up a fair bit of time. The possessing and temper tantrums felt unneeded. Also, Jessie receiving the Mimikium Z was the most random and undeserving way ever of getting a Z Crystal. Also, they really better come up with a solid explanation as to how Nanu is acquaintances with the literal boss of the Mafia. Lastly, if Giovanni always knew Nanu, you wonder why he couldn't have told Jessie and James well before in the series that they could approach him for a Z Ring.

Those issues aside, atleast the major event of Team Rocket finally using their Darkinium-Z to effect happened at last. Also, it would really be great if the theory that the classmates were on a cruise was true, since their absence was the reason this episode was alright (clearly looked like Ash came to Ula'ula alone). Here's hoping that it's a year long cruise and they say bye bye and appear only in the very last episode for Ash's farewell. :)

Overall, I give this episode 6/10. It wasn't too interesting, and I especially found the Gengar parts long and unnecessary, but finally seeing Team Rocket master a Z Move was good.

DatsRight

Also, they really better come up with a solid explanation as to how Nanu is acquaintances with the literal boss of the Mafia. Lastly, if Giovanni always knew Nanu, you wonder why he couldn't have told Jessie and James well before in the series that they could approach him for a Z Ring.

I need subs to know for sure, but it looked like Jessie blabbed about their Darkium Z in this episode, and Meowth and James were less willing to reveal they had a crystal but no Z Ring.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
I need subs to know for sure, but it looked like Jessie blabbed about their Darkium Z in this episode, and Meowth and James were less willing to reveal they had a crystal but no Z Ring.

Yeah she did, but it seems odd that they never told Giovanni about their Darkinium-Z, especially since they got it all the way back in SM025.

DatsRight

Yeah she did, but it seems odd that they never told Giovanni about their Darkinium-Z, especially since they got it all the way back in SM025.

Again they got a Z Crystal but had no way of using it. The Alolan Meowth episode reveals they didn't know about the Z Ring and thought they'd gotten a dud until A Meowth explained it. They were probably unwilling to tell Giovanni they'd wasted time getting something that they thought was useless.

On another note: Can we take amusement in the fact that TEAM ROCKET mastered a Z Move perfectly on their first try, when even Ash and Kiawe have suffered teething problems?

I'm also interested by the fact Matori seems to be keeping very regular check ups on TR to make sure they're making some degree of progress this series. I suppose she's making a change, hopefully she'll force another capture out of them later.

It almost makes me wish they'd kept Domino as Giovanni's right hand girl, she was much more of a vindictive little harpy than Matori, imagine her having banter or gloating at Jessie to earn her ire, or getting frustrated whenever the gang managed to keep in Giovanni's good books.

Last edited:

Lucario At Service

Calm Trainer

Most likely its because of the cloth cover that Mimi-tan wears i guess?

The dead ghost (???) part is inside the cloth cover and it is the one which uses moves. While the cover that it wears might be semi-physical, which mean it can phase along with it though stuff, but others can touch it as well, as long as they only touch the cloth.

Rohanator

Probably an inconsistency. Acerola jumping down to save it is pretty dumb if it's really transparent but maybe they're such good friends that it's as if Mimi was still alive or something.

Most likely its because of the cloth cover that Mimi-tan wears i guess?

The dead ghost (???) part is inside the cloth cover and it is the one which uses moves. While the cover that it wears might be semi-physical, which mean it can phase along with it though stuff, but others can touch it as well, as long as they only touch the cloth.
Actually yeah that's a good idea. A part of the cloth that's different from usual so I assume it's important somehow. Though technically the cloth should just phase through the ghost as well but whatever anime logic.

FrozTKnight

Will ORA ORA ORA you
Probably an inconsistency. Acerola jumping down to save it is pretty dumb if it's really transparent but maybe they're such good friends that it's as if Mimi was still alive or something.

Actually yeah that's a good idea. A part of the cloth that's different from usual so I assume it's important somehow. Though technically the cloth should just phase through the ghost as well but whatever anime logic.

Or she could be one of those special people/ghost type trainers in the Pokemon World who are able to communicate and interact with Ghosts.

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
Finally, good-ish episode. Last ok-ish episode was when Ash caught Poipole and last great episode was when Ash battled Kukui and Litten evolved.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
While I still think Team Rocket are undeserving of Z-Moves, I have to admit this episode was enjoyable enough. I don't know if Team Rocket intervening to save their Darkinium Z Acerola from Gengar is truly an act worthy of a Z-Ring, but Nanu seemed to think so. Or maybe he just realized they needed a boost after he saw Gengar possess both Meowth and Jessie.

I got a chuckle out of Nanu pretending the Kahuna was away and wouldn't be back for awhile, and it wasn't until the end of the episode that the TRio learned he was actually the Kahuna—not because he confessed to deceiving them, but because Acerola revealed it.

I really want to know what connection Nanu has with the Team Rocket organization. He even seems to be on decent terms with Giovanni. He didn't seem to object to Jessie, James, and Meowth being Team Rocket members (though his being nonchalant about giving a Z-Ring to criminals is in character for him, I suppose). Why would a former member of the International Police be on decent terms with the boss of the Kanto yakuza?

I honestly didn't like the Gengar theatrics, since it felt like it took up a fair bit of time. The possessing and temper tantrums felt unneeded. Also, Jessie receiving the Mimikium Z was the most random and undeserving way ever of getting a Z Crystal. Also, they really better come up with a solid explanation as to how Nanu is acquaintances with the literal boss of the Mafia. Lastly, if Giovanni always knew Nanu, you wonder why he couldn't have told Jessie and James well before in the series that they could approach him for a Z Ring.
I agree. That's one thing I really didn't like about this episode. Jessie didn't actually earn the Mimikum Z. Mimi-tan gave it to her—if I understood correctly, because it wanted her and Mimikyu to be able to use Let's Snuggle Together. Going by what Kiawe said about Z-Moves in the beginning of the series, Jessie and Mimikyu shouldn't be able to use Z-Moves together because they didn't actually earn the Z-Crystal. IMHO, Jessie obtaining Mimikium Z so easily just undermines that value and importance of Z-Moves.

I think this is the first time the TRio told Giovanni they had a Z-Crystal.

Also, the SM series seems determined to paint Jessie off as a b**** to her teammates. First, we have her stealing James's Luxury Ball to catch Mimikyu. Then, we have her eating Meowth's ice cream, causing him to run away. Now, we have her trying to eat James's cream puff (or whatever that was).